HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canucks acquire Shane O'Brien and Michel Ouellet

Old
10-06-2008, 02:07 PM
pitseleh

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Lou View Post
Really? That's odd. I dunno how he managed to lead the worst team in the league in +/- then. Even though it's a relatively weird stat that shouldn't be possible if he's that bad.
Yeah, it seems odd to me, so he may have improved? Maybe a TB fan could let us know about that.

He was a minus player on some good goal differential Penguins teams, which is more consistent with being a poor defensive forward. Not sure why the numbers worked out the way they did last season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
And Simek's value likely wasn't high anyway. He was a late round pick that hasn't shown much professionally and was one of the worst players in training camp this season. Obviously the organization felt that any future impact would be a ways off and that he wouldn't contribute much to Manitoba this season, and that a swap for Ouelete would improve the Moose and be better for our other prospects.
I think that's exactly the thing. Simek probably wouldn't even garner a 7th in a trade, so they were just clearing space on the Moose roster.

pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2008, 02:08 PM
ItsAllPartOfThePlan

I really don't like this move. Our mobility on the back end took a major hit with Kraijeck leaving. I don't know too much about Obrien other than he is tough and Oulette is obviously for the Moose. I think we have downgraded here.

ItsAllPartOfThePlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2008, 02:09 PM
BloatedGuppy

I must admit, if this deal isn't a precursor to something else than it's kind of a head scratcher. I liked Krajicek's game, and his smooth skating was a needed element on our blueline corps. And Ouellet...I just...I don't even know what to say about that. I'm just so confused.

BloatedGuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2008, 02:09 PM
pitseleh

Maybe the Canucks are trading for Jay Bouwmeester and felt that Krajicek's skating was redundant?

Old
10-06-2008, 02:10 PM
milbs06

why would the lightning trade shane?

milbs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
letterH

I personally like the trade alot. I like Lukas but the bottom-line is that he wasnt going to get the top ice, especially PP time with Salo, Edler, Ohlund and Bieksa here. It surprises me the people sorry to see him go when he seemed like a bit of a whipping boy the past 2 years.

I really like O'Brien as a 5-6-7 guy on the backend. He always seemed to give it his all, played tough and was very dependable.

It does shock me a little that Ouellet is already ticketed to Manitoba. I know he is a guy that needs to be top 6 to be effective but he has proven he can put the puck int he net. I would say he will be a call-up sooner than later.

letterH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
goliath5151

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoast View Post
Apparently, Krajicek lost out to Davison for the 7th defense position, so where does O'Brian fit in?

Oulette will add some toughness to the Moose roster. He needs to be much more disciplined to make an Alain Vigneault coached NHL team, but in the future could push Pyatt or Pettinger for a role. He has already cleared waivers this year, so he can be directly assigned to the Moose. He is subject to recall waivers however, so he is likely there for the season.

If we had claimed Oulette off of waivers, we would have to insert him into our NHL roster. As he has already cleared waivers, he can be assigned to the Moose.
Oullette adding toughness? Hes as un-physical as it gets. Hes a scorer, atleast thats what Gillis expects probably.

goliath5151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
black ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndHereWeGo View Post
Suprised Aquilini is allowing Gillis to have three one-way contracts on the Moose that accumulates to 2.65 million out of his own pocket.
But he is 10 mill under at the NHL level

black ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2008, 02:11 PM
In Gillis We Trust

I love this deal. I was surprised to see the Tampa Fan saying the things about O'Brien that he did. I watched a lot of Tampa Bay Games last year and O'Brien definitely stood out physically. His skating is better than some are giving it credit for too.
It's not a blockbuster by any means, but we just got a little tougher again.

In Gillis We Trust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2008, 02:13 PM
LeftCoast

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by goliath5151 View Post
Oullet adding toughness? Hes as un-physical as it gets. Hes a scorer, at least that's what Gillis expects probably.
He's the king of head shots.

LeftCoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2008, 02:15 PM
EpochLink
Canucks and Jets fan

Gillis likes O'Brien because of his physical presence at the band end. I like Lukas but his lack of toughness would get him beat, and get his behind injured.

Even deal IMO, both are heading to a conference where their most suited for.

EpochLink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2008, 02:16 PM
MKennedy

maybe this is a precursor to the Bieksa for Savard

MKennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2008, 02:16 PM
goliath5151

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasualty View Post
How much was Krajicek being paid 1.5?
How much is Obrien being paid?

What about Davison? is this guy going to be playing? and nycholat?

edit: Krajicek has 8 career goals? thought he had more

Ouellet is a 20 goal scorer from what I see. Given a chance to play on the second line could he get 30?
If oulette didnt score 30goals on the Pens, how on earth would he ever manage 30 with Vancouver?

But he could provide 40pts a year playing with Wellwood, but man would that ever be a physically weak line unless you get a really rough and tumble guy to go with them

goliath5151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2008, 02:17 PM
Wayne Maki
Starched Earth

One thing about O'Brien, he is a real S.O.B.

Wayne Maki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
pitseleh

The Canucks must be up there for the biggest defense in the league now. All of the team's defensemen are listed at 6'3 and between 210 and 225 lbs on Canucks.com except Bieksa at this point.

Old
Ernie

Basically, the Canucks are taking on salary that they'll be eating in the AHL and using the value of that to upgrade on Krajicek. Tampa Bay is already on a stretched budget, and it's clear they couldn't fathom paying the guy any longer.

Interesting strategy, and shows that the Aquilinis are willing to do whatever it takes to improve the team. Call it a new loophole in the salary cap system. Gillis should also deserve props for this trade - it shows a real creativity to target the Lightning with that sort of offer.

As for those who are suggesting that Bieksa could now be moved, I'd argue that this now makes it very unlikely. Sure, O'Brien brings toughness to the team, but now Bieksa is the only defenseman on the team that is capable of joining the rush.

Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2008, 02:18 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by In Gillis We Trust View Post
I was surprised to see the Tampa Fan saying the things about O'Brien that he did.
He played over 21 minutes a game. Maybe that was the problem - he was being used as a 2nd pairing "D" - when he's at present, he's a 3rd pairing "D".

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2008, 02:20 PM
Karl Hungus

vCash: 833
I don't have a problem with this move.

I always thought that Krajicek wasn't a good fit for the Northwest division.

It sounds like O'Brian was a square peg in a round hole with Tampa's "score off the rush" approach to offense.

It seems like a good move for everyone involved.

Karl Hungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2008, 02:20 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
As for those who are suggesting that Bieksa could now be moved, I'd argue that this now makes it very unlikely. Sure, O'Brien brings toughness to the team, but now Bieksa is the only defenseman on the team that is capable of joining the rush.
Actually I think this further increases the chances of Nycholat NOT going on waivers rather than increasing the chances of Bieksa not being moved.

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2008, 02:21 PM
Brenton Williams

I don't get it. Kraijicek is an extremely well rounded defensemen who could easily be in the top 4 on several teams in this league, not to mention he has an offensive ceiling expontentially greater than O'Brien. To put it as simply as possible we traded one d-man for a worse d-man.

Who cares if we added "toughness." We already have a 6/7 guy who is tough. What's far more invaluable is a defensemen who can skate, pass the puck, and start rushes with those aforementioned abilities. O'Brien is a slightly better version of Davison. No one on the defensive corps brings, or at least has the potential to bring, what Lukas did.

If Gillis did this trade to acquire offense in Oullet then he should have just picked him up on waivers.

Brenton Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2008, 02:21 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

vCash: 696
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitseleh View Post
The Canucks must be up there for the biggest defense in the league now. All of the team's defensemen are listed at 6'3 and between 210 and 225 lbs on Canucks.com except Bieksa at this point.
Yeah, and that's probably why this deal was made. Our forwards aren't that big/gritty, but we make up for it on D. We're a much tougher team now with O'Brien and that's what Gillis is going after.

The more I think about this deal, the more I'm loving it...

10-06-2008, 02:22 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

vCash: 696
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristopherJ View Post
I don't get it. Kraijicek is an extremely well rounded defensemen who could easily be in the top 4 on several teams in this league, not to mention he has an offensive ceiling expontentially greater than O'Brien. To put it as simply as possible we traded one d-man for a worse d-man.

Who cares if we added "toughness." We already have a 6/7 guy who is tough. What's far more invaluable is a defensemen who can skate, pass the puck, and start rushes with those aforementioned abilities. O'Brien is a slight bette version of Davison. No one on the defensive corps brings, or at east has the potential to rbing, what Lukas did.

If Gillis did this trade to acquire offense in Oullet then he should have just picked him up on waivers.
Davison wouldn't bring much toughness if he's sitting in the press box. And O'Brien is a huge upgrade on Davison...he's really underrated.

y2kcanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2008, 02:22 PM
RTN
Be Kind, Rewind

So I'm guessing Nycholat is sticking around.

Question: Recall waivers don't exist if it's for an injury call-up, right?

RTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2008, 02:23 PM
In Gillis We Trust

Quote:
for those who are suggesting that Bieksa could now be moved, I'd argue that this now makes it very unlikely. Sure, O'Brien brings toughness to the team, but now Bieksa is the only defenseman on the team that is capable of joining the rush.
There's a guy named Edler who's not so bad at that. Salo and Ohlund are both more offensive than Krajicek as well. This is a very good trade. O'Brien will be a fan favourite.

In Gillis We Trust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2008, 02:23 PM
UserName

this trade has to be a precursor to something.

UserName is offline   Reply With Quote