HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Grabovski - A Loss?

View Poll Results: Is Grabovski really a "loss"?
Nah, he was useless 38 13.06%
Yeah, he was pretty good 29 9.97%
Too early to tell 80 27.49%
Mikhail who? 17 5.84%
Good Trade... we ended up with Lang and Pateryn 127 43.64%
Voters: 291. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
10-06-2008, 01:44 PM
JaymzB

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThePeople View Post
He certainly is. No doubt in my mind. Name similar players to Grabovski in terms of skill level that have plenty of question marks surrounding them heading into the season.
Kyle Wellwood.

Old
10-06-2008, 01:45 PM
FrankMTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antropovsky View Post
Hoglund? So who on Grabovski's line (Tlusty/Hagman) are comparable in talent to Mats Sundin?

Noone said he was going to be an Allstar. You guys are being pessimists, we are being optimists...... and now your being a hypocrite. Secondly, Wilson doesn't go out of his way to praise his players, he is careful with his words and recently has been more willing to be vocal about the negatives then the positives.
I don't think most of us are being hypocrites...go check some of the threads about him before he was traded. Most of the ones that were negative about him back then are still negative about him now(which is a lot of us).

Old
10-06-2008, 01:46 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Hoglund? So who on Grabovski's line (Tlusty/Hagman) are comparable in talent to Mats Sundin?

Noone said he was going to be an Allstar. You guys are being pessimists, we are being optimists...... and now your being a hypocrite. Secondly, Wilson doesn't go out of his way to praise his players, he is careful with his words and recently has been more willing to be vocal about the negatives then the positives.
If Grabs gets top 6 ice time all year I think he will get around 50 points in about 72-75 games, start out strong and maybe struggling a bit more in the 2nd half. I think he'll miss a few games to injury. He fits in much better in Toronto's situation than here where he had no chance of unseating Koivu and Plekanec. He is on one of about 8-10 NHL teams where he can play on a scoring line, In Montreal that would not have happened and he most likely would have went to Russia after another year.

Old
10-06-2008, 02:10 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Anybody who will play in the 1st 2lines and end up with some PP time will eventually get their points no matter with whom they are playing with. Seems that he's got a great chemistry going with the other 2, who cares that there' no Sundin. Thing is, they day you'll have something better in your zone as well as in the offensive zone, he'll end up falling off the 1st 2 lines.

That was my point. Obviously not comparing Sundin with Hagman and Tlustly but if you fail to see that, that's not my problem. I really was trying to put everything in context here.

Anyway, good luck with him. You'll be stuck with your high expectations, not us. And anyway, isn't it like the worst time to have a guy who could actually make you win too many games while still not making the playoffs......you guys might actually have the OK from the fans to tank in order to get Tavares or Hedman and you'll blew it by playing superstar Grabovski????

Talk about timing....

Old
10-06-2008, 02:19 PM
GoneAway

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Anybody who will play in the 1st 2lines and end up with some PP time will eventually get their points no matter with whom they are playing with. Seems that he's got a great chemistry going with the other 2, who cares that there' no Sundin. Thing is, they day you'll have something better in your zone as well as in the offensive zone, he'll end up falling off the 1st 2 lines.

That was my point. Obviously not comparing Sundin with Hagman and Tlustly but if you fail to see that, that's not my problem. I really was trying to put everything in context here.

Anyway, good luck with him. You'll be stuck with your high expectations, not us. And anyway, isn't it like the worst time to have a guy who could actually make you win too many games while still not making the playoffs......you guys might actually have the OK from the fans to tank in order to get Tavares or Hedman and you'll blew it by playing superstar Grabovski????

Talk about timing....

Its ok though...they have Schenn

Old
10-06-2008, 02:25 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Chezz View Post
Its ok though...they have Schenn
I see. You got me thinking.....they want to reproduce the Kostitsyn's effect...their goal is not to have Tavares anymore, is to finish betwee 3 to 5 to get Schenn's bro.

Well now it makes sense. Still, they had to copy what works here of course...

Old
10-06-2008, 02:34 PM
Rocket Jr.

Leafs bashing aside, I can't wait to see this guy play.
Supposed to be a Komi Clone more than a clown.

Old
10-06-2008, 02:45 PM
JaymzB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Jr. View Post
While it is only the preseason, he has really impressed me from what I have seen.

Old
10-06-2008, 02:53 PM
Rocket Jr.

I've only heard and red about him (good things) never saw him play and now looks like the Leafs waived Bell to make a roster spot for him. I guess we will be able to have a good look at him on saturday.

I got the feeling he could have a bigger impact than Gravolski on the Leafs roster.

Old
10-06-2008, 02:55 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Jr. View Post
Schenn will be a great one for them no question. Best d-man prospect and it's obviously not even close. I'm not sure on how his offensive skills will translate in the big but at the very least, a Komi clone is about right.

Old
10-06-2008, 03:31 PM
Lucius

To me, it's simple.

We had no room, we were not going to make room and he never would have found a regular shift with us.

For them, I think he'll be a good little player and score 50ish points. Does that mean we made a mistake? No.

Fact is, if we keep drafting like we have, we have to trade prospects who go on to be good NHLers. There is no way around it.

The only way this is a net loss for us is if Grabovski goes on to be a better NHLer than Plekanec. I doubt that.

Old
10-06-2008, 04:36 PM
jaffy27

Grabovski is getting these numbers because he's on the first line, I just can't imagine that the Montreal Canadiens would put him on a line with Kovalev and Kostitsyn ahead of Plekanec. He's a good player, there is no doubt about it, just not on our team. With that, good luck to him.

Old
10-06-2008, 06:11 PM
Next Best Thing*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
If Grabs gets top 6 ice time all year I think he will get around 50 points in about 72-75 games, start out strong and maybe struggling a bit more in the 2nd half. I think he'll miss a few games to injury. He fits in much better in Toronto's situation than here where he had no chance of unseating Koivu and Plekanec. He is on one of about 8-10 NHL teams where he can play on a scoring line, In Montreal that would not have happened and he most likely would have went to Russia after another year.
50 points in 75!#@!@ GAMES??!!?

Old
10-06-2008, 06:13 PM
Newfie John
Hall of Famer

To the Leafs, it's a steal. He can be their second line center, and possibly net 50-60 points for them. This preseason, the guy has just been flat out flying. He's making good decisions with the puck, and to my surprise putting a real effort into backchecking. In fact, it's through his responsibility to defence that gets him his scoring chances as he often starts a rush from a defensive zone steal.

To the Habs, they're indifferent. In order for Grabovski to succeed, he has to be a first or second line center. With Koivu and Plekanec in the fold, it just doesn't make sense.

It's one of those trades that worked well for both teams, and thats that. If you're going to look at it as "Who won the trade?", well it's an obvious win for the Maple Leafs if Grabovski keeps playing the way he has. 5 goals and 3 assists in 8 games is certainly impressive.

Old
10-06-2008, 06:13 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ape Clutch View Post
Neither was Pleks remember? (I'm sure u were around then). That's the type of thing that can be worked on, and Grabo was 1 year (or strength and conditioning) away from full time spot I find.

Also i believe Grabs will suprise you. He has the potential to be atleast a #2 center on a winning team
If you check my post history I've loved Pleks from the start... from the days of watching him and Higgins in Hamilton.....

Pleks was one of my favorite players ever since Hamilton, and I always said he had potential to be a number 2 offensive centre in the NHL and have always loved his defensive game and skating.

Thats said... I'm pleasantly surprised to see him now as the number 1 centre on one of the leagues best offensive teams. And I still don't think he's hit his peak.

Is a 90pt season out of the question one day?? I don't think he does it this year, but I could see him getting there.

Old
10-06-2008, 06:16 PM
AD

Grabs is a fantastic player for a bad team with little to no center depth.

Had he joined the Habs 5 years ago.. he might have had a chance.

Now.. he's useless to us (except for getting us a veteran and a prospect via trade).

Old
10-06-2008, 06:25 PM
iPunch
Leafs Fan

vCash: 133
Why does this have to turn into a win/loss situation? I see Tuggy here trying to spin this into the biggest steal of the century in getting Lang for him and discrediting Grabs abilities. Hes a good player, Lang is also a good player. Grabs will probably be a good player longer considering Langs age, but Montreal needed a big man for now and not later.

There are alot of smart hockey people in here, lets face it, the Toronto and Montreal forums have more smart hockey people than half the teams on this forum combined. Its just too bad that a few morons from each side are making this into a war.

Old
10-06-2008, 06:28 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThePeople View Post
Grabovsky is a unique talent. He has wheels and the ability to get in the corners, retrieve the puck and make a solid play.

What will be a problem is finding players that are able to play with him as most wingers benefit greatly from having a playmaking centre rather than a pure scorer. Successful playmaking wingers are hard to come by, especially on the Leafs.

Also, with details of what happened last year aside, I find it confusing to read that some Habs fans feel he wouldn't be a good option on the third line, which many feel will be a scoring line. With 10-13 minutes a night and the occasional PP opportunity, Grabovsky would be fine in that role; possibly chipping in 40-50 points. IMO, he's better than Lang in pure ability but doesn't bring the intangibles that Lang has after many years in the league.

But regardless, the Habs are a young team and should have given Grabovsky the chance to be the third line centre. He most likely would have grown with everyone else and become a dynamic secondary scorer. He's not soft and he's not afraid to muck it up on the ice. What more could you want?

With that said, I'm happy he's a Leaf. He does not have first line potential but will be great on the second or third line once the Leafs acquire more players through draft, trade, or free agency during their rebuild. He definitely can't be relied upon to carry the offense but such is the state of the team.
Our top 2 centres are relatively small and left handed.... Grabs also sucks in the faceoff circle which was a weakness for this team last year.

Lang brings a unique skillset which we didn't have.... Big, RH, Great on faceoffs.... Thats important, and why he is a much better fit on our third line than Grabs would've been.

Old
10-06-2008, 06:30 PM
Tuggy

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bad Guys View Post
Why does this have to turn into a win/loss situation? I see Tuggy here trying to spin this into the biggest steal of the century in getting Lang for him and discrediting Grabs abilities. Hes a good player, Lang is also a good player. Grabs will probably be a good player longer considering Langs age, but Montreal needed a big man for now and not later.

There are alot of smart hockey people in here, lets face it, the Toronto and Montreal forums have more smart hockey people than half the teams on this forum combined. Its just too bad that a few morons from each side are making this into a war.
I never even mentioned Lang and honestly never even thought of him when I was talking about Grabovski.

The thing that has gotten me is that before this preseason everyone thought of Grabovski of at most a second line center, but now he is all of a sudden a possible all star, or a 90 point player, or some of the other outrageous claims that have been made. Let's wait until he faces NHL competition every night. An NHL goalie, big mean NHL defenseman who are going to punish him, forwards who will actually backcheck. If he gets through all that and delivers the way people are saying he is going to then I will eat my words.

Old
10-06-2008, 07:22 PM
peperebougon*

I already forgot about him. He is in the past.I am too busy enjoying the present and looking forward to our future.

Old
10-06-2008, 08:21 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-bob View Post
You are right for the most part. He was concidered a great prostect when he was in Belarusse and when he was with Hamilton but, when he played with the Habs, most people around here realised that he wasn't quite ready for our team. He wasn't stong enough for the NHL and he didn't do much when he didn't have the puck.

He might get 50 points with the leafs in a couple of seasons but that will only be because he will be getting first line minutes and number 1 PP time. Lets face it, on a good team, a player like Grabovsky doesn't make it as a centerpiece on the top 6.
Not alot of prospects walk onto the first line ever. I am just saying he isn't worthless or we wouldn't have gotten a 2nd for him. But in the end we have to wait and see how he plays. If he plays poorly we stole a high pick from a division rival, if he plays great we just handed our rival an asset.

Risky decision sending him to T.O.

Old
10-06-2008, 08:50 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Chezz View Post
here...just to stop the bickering
And the nonsensical bickering is Stopped.

For those complaining... the reason this was closed is that some people can't stay on topic, which is to discuss the player and whether or not he is a loss to montreal....

Not who said what where and get into arguments with the leaf fans/trolls here over it or to flame each other over it.... When 20+ posts need deleting in 2 pages... its lock time.

Last edited by Beakermania*: 10-07-2008 at 02:09 AM.
Closed Thread