HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The End of a Myth

Closed Thread

Old
06-29-2004, 08:08 AM
Stefan_Latulippe

vCash: 500
The End of a Myth

So, who will the Habs pick next year in the 2005 entry draft? Posters used to reply this: The Habs will pick the BPA (Best Player Available) because that's how you build a team as you need assests etc....

I am sure a lot of posters will recognize that answer!!!

Now, the Habs picked for NEEDS this time around...... Thus, the end of BPA myth!

Old
06-29-2004, 08:18 AM
StanleyCH25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan_Latulippe
So, who will the Habs pick next year in the 2005 entry draft? Posters used to reply this: The Habs will pick the BPA (Best Player Available) because that's how you build a team as you need assests etc....

I am sure a lot of posters will recognize that answer!!!

Now, the Habs picked for NEEDS this time around...... Thus, the end of BPA myth!
The answer still is: BPA. The difference between this year's draft and other year's drafts is that the BPA this year was roughly the same across multiple players so it was easier for Gainey and co. to pick for needs this year while still picking what they considered to be the BPA.

So next year, the Habs will pick the BPA once again. The BPA myth continues..

Old
06-29-2004, 08:25 AM
PacketFlo

With guys like Hossa, Perez, Kast.. Montreal really had no choice but to go for a big center like Kyle. Before his groin injury Kyle was rated the #1 north american skater so we didn't just go for what we needed. We got exactly who we wanted...... at #18 this kid is honestly a great pick.

Old
06-29-2004, 09:38 AM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

I will defend to my death that (to me) Chipchura WAS the best player available at 18th. There's different ways to evaluate a player. If there wasn't, all the teams would have the exact same draft list, which couldn't be farther from the truth.

The myth however, is to think the BPA is the one that has the highest offensive upside.

Old
06-29-2004, 09:43 AM
Mooch

Send a message via MSN to Mooch
I still think the Habs went with the BPA method. You gota remember that Chipy was expected to go much higer before he got injured. The injury droped his overall level of play. so he does have offensive potential. As for the guys picked ahead of him, that most felt we should have picked, they went exactly where they were expected to. Im confident the Timmins and his scouts felt that Chipy was their best bet. As it turned out, it also fulfilled our need for a big C. I personally was very happy with this draft!

Old
06-29-2004, 10:01 AM
Guig

Well IMO the habs should go for a Power Forward or a Offensive Dman. Guys like Latendresse would be amazing, Vitaly Anikeenko, Teemu Lakkso. But I still think that BPA is the best strategy.

Old
06-29-2004, 10:15 AM
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

Why is it so difficult to realize that Chipchura was the BPA on the habs scouts' list I wonder ?

I hate it. The habs pick a guy who happens to fill an organisational need for toughness and size so everyone - 95% of which have never seen him play - just assumes that he's just another talentless anglo puck dumper from the WHL/OHL that we picked to further the Stevenson, Ward and M. Higgins tradition of the nineties.

In reality, he might not be the BPA. But that doesn't mean the habs took him over another guy that ranked higher on their list just because they felt Chipchura fits the bill of the though 6'2 WHL 2-way shutdown center we need.

Besides at one point in a draft you have several players that you feel are all so close in various abilities and skills that you can't just rank one-two-three on your list. At that point you pick the guy that will fit your organisational needs better, nothing wrong with that.

In conclusion, it's not because some armchair GMs thought he wasn't the BPA that the habs didn't pick the BPA on their list and maybe even the very best player out of the first round out of all those that were left.

Old
06-29-2004, 10:17 AM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuiG
Well IMO the habs should go for a Power Forward or a Offensive Dman. Guys like Latendresse would be amazing, Vitaly Anikeenko, Teemu Lakkso. But I still think that BPA is the best strategy.
I would love to pick Latendresse (the next Bertuzzi). He would cost less than the ridiculous offer we would have to make for Crosby, but he would still cost a lot though. He'll probably be a top-5 pick, maybe even #2 or #3 with Crosby and Brule. But he's definitelly a player to consider if we want to move up in order to draft an impact forward (in every sense of the word here).

Old
06-29-2004, 10:27 AM
Beatnik

Send a message via MSN to Beatnik
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchausen
I would love to pick Latendresse (the next Bertuzzi). He would cost less than the ridiculous offer we would have to make for Crosby, but he would still cost a lot though. He'll probably be a top-5 pick, maybe even #2 or #3 with Crosby and Brule. But he's definitelly a player to consider if we want to move up in order to draft an impact forward (in every sense of the word here).

I see Latendresse more like a Jagr or Sundin, Chipchura could be more an Iginla or Bertuzzi, Both were'nt very good offensivly before their draft years. Let's hope Chip will explode like they did.

I wonder if the islanders fans complained about the Bertuzzi pick at #23 saying that they should have taken the BPA instead of a big safe picks...

Old
06-29-2004, 10:37 AM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatnik
I see Latendresse more like a Jagr or Sundin, Chipchura could be more an Iginla or Bertuzzi, Both were'nt very good offensivly before their draft years. Let's hope Chip will explode like they did.
Although I've only seen Latendresse twice, I feel he's much more about the power game than the finesse one. He hits like a freight truck. Nothing like Sundin or Jagr.

Old
06-29-2004, 10:42 AM
Guy Caballero

No season in 2005. Picks for 2005 draft drawn from a hat. Habs get first overall and select:

SIDNEY CROSBY!!!

Old
06-29-2004, 11:17 AM
markov`

Hey, Chipchura was ranked #4 among American Skaters and he went 18. To me, he was the best player available.

And Gainey told to TSN that he had a list of a dozen of player, and when he come to pick, Chipchura was the highest player on the list. Stop with your 'drafting for needs'.

Old
06-29-2004, 11:18 AM
markov`

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchause

The myth however, is to think the BPA is the one that has the highest offensive upside.
You are right.

Old
06-29-2004, 11:22 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Caballero
No season in 2005. Picks for 2005 draft drawn from a hat. Habs get first overall and select:

SIDNEY CROSBY!!!
Actually, the last word from the NHL front office was that if they have no CBA at draft time, they can't have a draft, since that's part of the CBA.

Well, maybe they settle the CBA in a March-May timeframe and say to heck with the season but can still do the draft. However if things get really ugly, it seems more likely that the draft would get pushed back to 2006 rather than have all the names go into a hat.

Old
06-29-2004, 11:24 AM
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien
However if things get really ugly, it seems more likely that the draft would get pushed back to 2006 rather than have all the names go into a hat.
I think that's what makes the most sense. Imagine how deep such a draft would be. They could easily hold 14-15 rounds.

Old
06-29-2004, 11:33 AM
Beatnik

Send a message via MSN to Beatnik
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchausen
Although I've only seen Latendresse twice, I feel he's much more about the power game than the finesse one. He hits like a freight truck. Nothing like Sundin or Jagr.
i'll have to watch him again!

Old
06-29-2004, 11:53 AM
loadie
Official Beer Taster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatnik
i'll have to watch him again!
What team does this guy play for? I'd like to watch him if he plays out west.

Old
06-29-2004, 11:58 AM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH²
I think that's what makes the most sense. Imagine how deep such a draft would be. They could easily hold 14-15 rounds.
And normal 1st round talents could be had late in the 2nd. Load us up with picks Bob!

Closed Thread