HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

PROPOSAL: Koivu & Higgins for Gaborik ?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-06-2008, 04:23 PM
  #101
jaffy27
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,955
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
1. Losing 2 vital players could vastly effect our team chemistry.
2. It's a lot to give up for an upcoming UFA player.
3. My Habs include Koivu, until he retires.

A big NO from me.
What Chemistry, there is no chemistry on the Koivu line with Tanguay and Higgins. Koivu is also an unrestricted free agent. Would you not trade up Higgins for the chance at the cup. I would. And we would also have a good chance at signing Gaborik. You'd probably have to include in the trade Fischer.

Koivu
Higgins
Fischer

for

Gaborik

jaffy27 is offline  
Old
10-06-2008, 04:26 PM
  #102
Iwishihadacup
Registered User
 
Iwishihadacup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Quebec City
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,727
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaffy27 View Post
What Chemistry, there is no chemistry on the Koivu line with Tanguay and Higgins. Koivu is also an unrestricted free agent. Would you not trade up Higgins for the chance at the cup. I would. And we would also have a good chance at signing Gaborik. You'd probably have to include in the trade Fischer.

Koivu
Higgins
Fischer

for

Gaborik

and with that we lose our depth at center, our 2 way depth, and a very good defenseive prospect to get another pending UFA who will probably go elsewhere

Great idea man... really


Iwishihadacup is offline  
Old
10-06-2008, 04:26 PM
  #103
jaffy27
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,955
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post
WRONG !:

I have always said that Koivu is the perfect second-line center. The best player on the Habs roster in the last decade because they had none better. The captain because they had none better too. Now, other players are surpassing him. He"s gonna be a UFA next July.

Don't try to see more than what I wrote at the top of this thread.

It was a trade PROPOSAL. Nothing else. No more frivoulous or intelligent than 99% of the proposals on this board.

Anyway, you can't touch the name of Saku Koivu on this board without being flamed to death, GROW UP FOLKS !

Who was the last Habs player to play his whole carreer in Montreal ? Even Gainey - when he was asked about Saku's contract - said that he would not sign him during the season.

And for those who don"t want to read my opinion, Just put me on your IGNORE LIST.

Thank you very much !
Well Said, I'm behind you bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwishihadacup View Post
and with that we lose our depth at center, our 2 way depth, and a very good defenseive prospect to get another pending UFA who will probably go elsewhere

Great idea man... really

Thanks, I appreciate the support


Last edited by Beakermania*: 10-06-2008 at 05:55 PM.
jaffy27 is offline  
Old
10-06-2008, 04:31 PM
  #104
Little Nilan
Registered User
 
Little Nilan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Praha
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 8,209
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaffy27 View Post
What Chemistry, there is no chemistry on the Koivu line with Tanguay and Higgins.
You're basing this on preseason games? Do you remember how Kostitsyn-Plekanec-Kovalev played at first? Everyone on this board thought it was an awefull idea.

Little Nilan is offline  
Old
10-06-2008, 04:40 PM
  #105
jaffy27
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,955
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kareem View Post
You're basing this on preseason games? Do you remember how Kostitsyn-Plekanec-Kovalev played at first? Everyone on this board thought it was an awefull idea.
I know it's early, but come on, you can't tell me you wouldn't want a potential 50 goal scorer on the team. I mean, would you say no to a Crosby trade because we haven't given this line a chance? Probably not. So why not make a Gaborik trade?? Would you say no to a Rick Nash trade, because we haven't given Tanguay, Koivu and Higgins enough of a chance..

jaffy27 is offline  
Old
10-06-2008, 04:42 PM
  #106
Habs10Habs
Retired
 
Habs10Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 52,727
vCash: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaffy27 View Post
What Chemistry, there is no chemistry on the Koivu line with Tanguay and Higgins. Koivu is also an unrestricted free agent. Would you not trade up Higgins for the chance at the cup. I would. And we would also have a good chance at signing Gaborik. You'd probably have to include in the trade Fischer.

Koivu
Higgins
Fischer

for

Gaborik
Wow I'm impressed how you're able to make this judgement after one pre-season game?

Yes I would trade Higgins if I thought it would increase our chances at the cup.

But your proposal makes us stronger in one area and devastates us in another.

Gaborik is amazing, and I would love to have him on the Habs. But not if trading for him gives us a top 4 C of Plekanec/Lang/Lapierre/Chipchura.

Habs10Habs is offline  
Old
10-06-2008, 04:46 PM
  #107
Iwishihadacup
Registered User
 
Iwishihadacup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Quebec City
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,727
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaffy27 View Post
Thanks, I appreciate the support
but you still havent made any point, so my argument hold still



Iwishihadacup is offline  
Old
10-06-2008, 04:56 PM
  #108
JAVO16
Registered User
 
JAVO16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,034
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaffy27 View Post
What Chemistry, there is no chemistry on the Koivu line with Tanguay and Higgins. Koivu is also an unrestricted free agent. Would you not trade up Higgins for the chance at the cup. I would. And we would also have a good chance at signing Gaborik. You'd probably have to include in the trade Fischer.

Koivu
Higgins
Fischer

for

Gaborik
Sure, it would be a good trade for the team's future. The little problem here is that, the future is today; this year is our best chance for a run at the cup. You need to be strong down the middle for a cup run and having Plek/Lang/Chipchura/Lapierre as your four center is not good enough.

We're no longer a rebuilding team, we're a cup contender.

JAVO16 is offline  
Old
10-06-2008, 04:58 PM
  #109
Iwishihadacup
Registered User
 
Iwishihadacup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Quebec City
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,727
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VO Ouragan16 View Post
Sure, it would be a good trade for the team's future. The little problem here is that, the future is today; this year is our best chance for a run at the cup. You need to be strong down the middle for a cup run and having Plek/Lang/Chipchura/Lapierre as your four center is not good enough.

We're no longer a rebuilding team, we're a cup contender.
since when trading 2 young players and a good veteran, captain of the team for a pending UFA a good deal for the future or even for now?

Iwishihadacup is offline  
Old
10-06-2008, 05:08 PM
  #110
Pax Macioretty
Registered User
 
Pax Macioretty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: hockey city
Posts: 15,606
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwishihadacup View Post
but you still havent made any point, so my argument hold still
That's because there's nothing to debate, it would be rediculous to trade for player like Gaborik, this year or the next, The Habs greatest is Bob's ability to have a great team wihtout giving out rediculous contracts to evreyone, our core is build with players who are are all signed beetween 4 and 6 mil a season per player, that gave us the luxury of getting Robert Lang as a 3rd line center, even if he's paid 4 mil, witch is alot for a center on the 3rd line, it's a much better plan imo to keep building from within, one day players Higgins, A.Kost Latendresse and Maxpac will bring the goals i have no doubt about it, If anyone of them is traded, i hope to god it's not for a 1 year rental, just look at Atlanta who they gave up for Tkaczuk and Zhitnik, they had to rebuil from scratch after 1 playoff appearance

Pax Macioretty is offline  
Old
10-06-2008, 05:14 PM
  #111
Lone Rogue
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Windsor, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,506
vCash: 500
My favourite part about offers for Gaborik?

It's okay to mention Koivu, Higgins, Latendresse, Chipchura or Fischer.

Just don't mention the Kostitsyns, Kovalev, Pacioretty or McDonaugh.

Otherwise, DO EVERYTHING POSSIBLE TO GET GABORIK (For Koivu, Higgins, Latendresse, Chipchura or Fischer)!!!

Lone Rogue is offline  
Old
10-06-2008, 05:20 PM
  #112
usernam
Registered User
 
usernam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,263
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaffy27 View Post
I know it's early, but come on, you can't tell me you wouldn't want a potential 50 goal scorer on the team. I mean, would you say no to a Crosby trade because we haven't given this line a chance? Probably not. So why not make a Gaborik trade?? Would you say no to a Rick Nash trade, because we haven't given Tanguay, Koivu and Higgins enough of a chance..
Are you comparing Gaborik to Crosby?

usernam is offline  
Old
10-06-2008, 05:27 PM
  #113
JAVO16
Registered User
 
JAVO16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,034
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwishihadacup View Post
since when trading 2 young players and a good veteran, captain of the team for a pending UFA a good deal for the future or even for now?
Alright, the problem is, you can have pretty much anything centering Gaborik and he'll put up points; kind of like Kovalchuk, they're just that explosive. Higgins is a good player but he doesn't hold a candle to Gaborik and Koivu is slowing down and can be replaced by a free agent signing or by a young player like Maxwell. Finally, Fisher is not a ''good young player'', he's a project not expected to hit in the NHL until the next 2-3 seasons. You can't underate the value of having a constant scoring treat like Gaborik on your team if we succeed in signing him because he could replace Kovy.

Now, that's the scenario where we're not a cup contender.

Evidently, it's counter-productive to trade those assets for Gaborik . We'd be loosing our heart and soul captain, a good 2-way, goal-scoring winger in Higgins and, let's face it, we already have enough good offensive wingers this year.

But, in any case, if we deal for a signed Gaborik, that's approximatively the price we'll have to pay.


Last edited by JAVO16: 10-06-2008 at 05:33 PM.
JAVO16 is offline  
Old
10-06-2008, 05:35 PM
  #114
nnynetpotato
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 410
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rogue View Post
My favourite part about offers for Gaborik?

It's okay to mention Koivu, Higgins, Latendresse, Chipchura or Fischer.

Just don't mention the Kostitsyns, Kovalev, Pacioretty or McDonaugh.

Otherwise, DO EVERYTHING POSSIBLE TO GET GABORIK (For Koivu, Higgins, Latendresse, Chipchura or Fischer)!!!

It's almost like you're saying that people jump at every rumour of a "certain-to-be-traded" player to push the agenda of getting their least favorite player off the team.

Thank goodness hockey fans are too rational for that to be the case.


nnynetpotato is offline  
Old
10-06-2008, 05:39 PM
  #115
JAVO16
Registered User
 
JAVO16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,034
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
That's because there's nothing to debate, it would be rediculous to trade for player like Gaborik, this year or the next, The Habs greatest is Bob's ability to have a great team wihtout giving out rediculous contracts to evreyone, our core is build with players who are are all signed beetween 4 and 6 mil a season per player, that gave us the luxury of getting Robert Lang as a 3rd line center, even if he's paid 4 mil, witch is alot for a center on the 3rd line, it's a much better plan imo to keep building from within, one day players Higgins, A.Kost Latendresse and Maxpac will bring the goals i have no doubt about it, If anyone of them is traded, i hope to god it's not for a 1 year rental, just look at Atlanta who they gave up for Tkaczuk and Zhitnik, they had to rebuil from scratch after 1 playoff appearance
Agreed, but it is possible to have superstars signed to big contracts and still keep a competitive team year in and year out; look at Detroit. However, for that to happen, you need good scouting and a good prospect pipeline. I think that the Canadiens are able to do that with Trevor Timmins which is why I'm not opposed to big free agent signings.

JAVO16 is offline  
Old
10-06-2008, 05:57 PM
  #116
Beakermania*
 
Beakermania*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kingston or Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,964
vCash: 500
95% of posters agree... this is a bad idea.

Beakermania* is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:40 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.