HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Canucks acquire Shane O'Brien and Michel Ouellet

Old
10-06-2008, 04:32 PM
mrmyheadhurts
Registered Loser

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by In Gillis We Trust View Post
Ok fair enough. When you said you hadn't seen O'Brien play, I assumed that you hadn't seen him play - my bad

Any one of our top 5 could fill the 'top 4' role and log top 4 minutes.

Demitra has played the point on the PP lots in his career. If and when an injury occurs to one of our PP D-men, I'd be more than happy to have Demitra on the point as opposed to Krajicek.

Also, we didn't replace Krajicek with Nycholet, we replaced him with O'Brien. Davison will be #7 and Nycholet will be #8. It will more than likely take 2 injuries to our D for Nycholet to get in the line-up.
I meant when I see him play for us, not when I see him play period.

I'll have a better opinion when I see O'Brien actually play

I should have added, for the Canucks but I thought that was obvious.

I admit I'm not overly familiar with his game but from what I have seen it's nothing like Lucas' game. I'm not worried about our PP at all. Good skating, rushing defenseman who can pass are almost more important 5 on 5 in creating offense.

As far as player types go we essentially DID replace Lucas with Nycholet as I explained in my previous post.

mrmyheadhurts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2008, 04:34 PM
Knucklez

vCash: 500
I don't really understand this deal at the moment. I was a big Krajicek fan, but I admit I know next to nothing about O'Brien.

Knucklez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2008, 04:37 PM
fogducker

Krajicek was never going to be a top 4 d=man and he needs to be in order to be effective. We got the player who excels in his role.

now all we need is Sundin to sign

fogducker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2008, 04:41 PM
Slapshot_11

How many fighting majors did O'Brien have last season ? it looks like he takes a lot of penaltys

Slapshot_11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2008, 04:48 PM
alternate

the way I see this deal, we moved Bret Hedican V2.0 for Chara uber-light. different packages, different roles. the one problem I have with it, who do we throw out against speed-burners? we don't really have any dman on the roster who has the skating ability to match up against the Gaboriks of the world. Krajicek, I felt, could do that as long as he was paired with a solid rock like Mitchell.

but we're tougher and bigger, if not quite as fleet of foot.

for the other two, I think Simek was addition by subtraction. Oullete has shown he can do more than say Jason Jaffrey in the pros, but Simek didn't seem to have it upstairs. I think Gillis was simply avoiding a Fedor V2.0 and was willing to take on some AHL salary in exchange.

alternate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2008, 04:50 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

I like this move a fair bit, and I was a fan of Krajicek.

Krajicek was a solid if unspectacular defensemen. Very sound positionally, a good skater and a good puckhandler. He did a lot of things "good"--but no one thing great. For all the offensive potential he had, it never translated into numbers in Vancouver(or Florida), and he's certainly battled injury problems and had games where he looked less than ordinary. Plus, Edler forced him out of the top four.

O'Brien is an ideal guy to bring in to the bottom-pairing. He's solid enough that he can play top-four minutes in a pinch, but at this time is better suited to the bottom pair. He brings solid size and ability, and he's known for sticking up for his teammates--a great thing to have.

He's not only a willing scrapper, but a capable one.

2006-2007 Fight Record: 6W, 4L, 4T
2007-2008 Fight Record: 2W, 0L, 3T

At 6'2 and 230lbs, he brings a decent physical presence to the blueline. And in a bottom pairing, I think this is important.

We have guys like Ohlund, Salo and Edler that provide better offense than Krajicek did; what we needed was a guy that had the temperament of Mitchell and Bieksa without being quite as critical to the lineup as them. O'Brien is an improvement over Davison in that category, IMO.

Ouellet and Simek are toss-ins on either side, although I'm sure Manitoba will be thrilled to have Ouellet over Simek at this point in times.

~Canucklehead~

Mr. Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2008, 04:51 PM
Vector

I agree with what alternate is saying.

I'm a fan of the trade. I loved watching Krajicek skate and pass but it'll be nice to have another Bryan Allen-type in the line-up.

Vector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2008, 04:53 PM
settinguptheplay
Classless Canuck Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fogducker View Post
Krajicek was never going to be a top 4 d=man and he needs to be in order to be effective. We got the player who excels in his role.

now all we need is Sundin to sign
Totally off topic and beating a dead horse at the same time but could you imagine.

Raymond - Sundin - Demitra
Sedin - Sedin - Bernier
Burrows - Kesler - Hansen
Pettinger - Johnson - Pyatt
Hordichuk

Ohlund - Edler
Mitchell - Bieksa
Salo - O'Brien
Davison/Nycholat

Luongo
Sanford

Hopefully Sundin is just waiting for all the road games the Canucks have early to be over with. 19 of their first 30 are on the road. If Sundin is going to sign with us I would expect it to be between Dec 9th and the 13th.

settinguptheplay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2008, 04:53 PM
alternate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
I like this move a fair bit, and I was a fan of Krajicek.

Krajicek was a solid if unspectacular defensemen. Very sound positionally, a good skater and a good puckhandler. He did a lot of things "good"--but no one thing great. For all the offensive potential he had, it never translated into numbers in Vancouver(or Florida), and he's certainly battled injury problems and had games where he looked less than ordinary. Plus, Edler forced him out of the top four.

~
he's a great skater.

Old
10-06-2008, 04:54 PM
alternate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis65 View Post
Totally off topic and beating a dead horse at the same time but could you imagine.

Raymond - Sundin - Demitra
Sedin - Sedin - Bernier
Hordichuk

Ohlund - Edler
Mitchell - Bieksa
Salo - O'Brien
Davison/Nycholat

Luongo
Sanford

Hopefully Sundin is just waiting for all the road games the Canucks have early to be over with. 19 of their first 30 are on the road. If Sundin is going to sign with us I would expect it to be between Dec 9th and the 13th.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOo! to all mentions of Sundin in a line up.

Old
10-06-2008, 04:55 PM
DreamCatcher*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1025 View Post
I love this move.

our PK will be even more suffocating.

more block shots = less shots towards Luongo = less goals against.

face it. Lukas needed top 4 + pp minutes to develop, we don't have room in those minutes for him.

and this goes again with Gillis's theory, mismanaged assets by other team = our gold.
Gillis has quite the cerebral approach to all aspects of managing a hockey team. He is going to be a great GM in the upcoming years.

DreamCatcher* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2008, 04:57 PM
MKennedy

Quote:

Raymond - Demitra - Gaborik
Sedin - Sedin - Bernier
Hordichuk

Ohlund - Edler
Mitchell - Bieksa
Salo - O'Brien
Davison/Nycholat

Luongo
Sanford

I'd rather see this....

MKennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2008, 05:00 PM
settinguptheplay
Classless Canuck Fan

Sundin comes for free asset wise. Should be a decent fill in before Gaborik arrives next year.

settinguptheplay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2008, 05:02 PM
MKennedy

Quote:
Sundin comes for free asset wise. Should be a decent fill in before Gaborik arrives next year.
Very true, but I believe Gabby has a no trade clause. Meaning he basically picks the teams he wants to go too. If he wants to go to the Canucks then either he can play this season or he can force a trade to the Canucks. Which would be amazing if he wouldn't have to give up to much.

MKennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2008, 05:07 PM
DreamCatcher*

Canucks new defence:

Kevin Bieksa - 6'0 205 lbs
Rob Davison - 6'3 220 lbs
Alexander Edler - 6'3 220 lbs
Willie Mitchell - 6'3 210 lbs
Shane O'Brien - 6'3 224 lbs
Mattias Ohlund - 6'3 220 lbs
Sami Salo - 6'3 215 lbs

TOUGH

A very refreshing change in size compared to when the Canucks had Weaver, Columbe, Fitzpatrick in the line-up.

Old
10-06-2008, 05:11 PM
QuickDynamite

I was never a fan of Krajicek. Wasn't the best defensive player and didn't put up alot of points either. Now we get a guy who is about the same but adds more toughness to the line-up. Our team is becoming a very tough one to play against which I really like.

Ouellet and Simek I must admit I don't know much about either of them. Both are likely to play in the AHL. O'Brien sounds like he could be decent in a limited role, still pretty young too.

QuickDynamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2008, 05:19 PM
MS

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndHereWeGo View Post
Canucks new defence:

Kevin Bieksa - 6'0 205 lbs
Rob Davison - 6'3 220 lbs
Alexander Edler - 6'3 220 lbs
Willie Mitchell - 6'3 210 lbs
Shane O'Brien - 6'3 224 lbs
Mattias Ohlund - 6'3 220 lbs
Sami Salo - 6'3 215 lbs

TOUGH

A very refreshing change in size compared to when the Canucks had Weaver, Columbe, Fitzpatrick in the line-up.
With the additions of Hordichuk, Bernier, O'Brien, and Davison, and Rypien likely making the team too, we're suddenly the biggest/toughest team in our division, by a fair bit. Kinda like that, for a change. Will be fun to push Edmonton/Calgary around a little.

And it's not like we've sacrificed anything to get tougher, either. Krajicek, Cowan, Weaver, etc.

MS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2008, 05:22 PM
Shane

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKennedy View Post
I'd rather see this....
Except it's unlikely to happen. I can't see us getting Gaborik in a trade without giving up at least a couple of roster players in return. Likely one or two of Hansen, Raymond, Edler, Bieksa, or Kesler would be involved in that trade.

Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2008, 05:36 PM
Core

If the nucks can sign the twins 6 million each, resign each desired players like Wellwood, Edler,Burrows, and Bernier to higher but fair contracts, the cap rises to 10 million, and they part ways with Ohlund (4-5million), than they are able to sign Gaborik.

Core is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2008, 05:45 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Not too familiar with O'Brien but losing Krajicek isn't a big deal. Krajicek has a good skillset but statistically he was very poor in his own end. Don't discount Krajicek's shoulder injuries either.

Krajicek played against the worst competition of any Canuck defender last season and his numbers weren't good.

When Krajicek was on the ice he gave up 2.86 GA per 60/min. O'Brien played against the much tougher competition and he was on for 2.57 GA per 60/min. Tampa being the much much worse defensive team only compounds these results.

IMO this trade makes a lot more sense with Mathieu Schneider on the roster.

Demitra
Bernier
Johnson
Hordichuk
Wellwood
O'Brien
Davison
Krog
Nycholat
Ouellet

Gillis is really starting to put a North American stamp on this Vancouver Canucks team.

Drop the Sopel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2008, 05:49 PM
parabola
Global Moderator
novus ordo seclorum

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS View Post
With the additions of Hordichuk, Bernier, O'Brien, and Davison, and Rypien likely making the team too, we're suddenly the biggest/toughest team in our division, by a fair bit. Kinda like that, for a change. Will be fun to push Edmonton/Calgary around a little.

And it's not like we've sacrificed anything to get tougher, either. Krajicek, Cowan, Weaver, etc.
We're the new Anaheim?

parabola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2008, 05:49 PM
UBCsalmonslayer
@2Holmes2

Send a message via ICQ to UBCsalmonslayer Send a message via AIM to UBCsalmonslayer Send a message via MSN to UBCsalmonslayer Send a message via Yahoo to UBCsalmonslayer Send a message via Skype™ to UBCsalmonslayer
O'Brien draws a stricking resemblance style-wise to a player old-school Nuck fans will recognize: Gerald Diduck... Luongo likes this trade more than anyone else.

UBCsalmonslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2008, 05:50 PM
Core

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
Not too familiar with O'Brien but losing Krajicek isn't a big deal. Krajicek has a good skillset but statistically he was very poor in his own end. Don't discount Krajicek's shoulder injuries either.

Krajicek played against the worst competition of any Canuck defender last season and his numbers weren't good.

When Krajicek was on the ice he gave up 2.86 GA per 60/min. O'Brien played against the much tougher competition and he was on for 2.57 GA per 60/min. Tampa being the much much worse defensive team only compounds these results.

IMO this trade makes a lot more sense with Mathieu Schneider on the roster.

Demitra
Bernier
Johnson
Hordichuk
Wellwood
O'Brien
Davison
Krog
Nycholat
Ouellet

Gillis is really starting to put a North American stamp on this Vancouver Canucks team.
He is just getting the best type of players to fit his team, I don't think he looks at nationality first before choosing about acquiring a player.

Core is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2008, 05:51 PM
DreamCatcher*

Quote:
Originally Posted by UBCsalmonslayer View Post
O'Brien draws a stricking resemblance style-wise to a player old-school Nuck fans will recognize: Gerald Diduck... Luongo likes this trade more than anyone else.
I believe the same was said about Rob Davison

Old
10-06-2008, 05:52 PM
pitseleh

Quote:
Originally Posted by parabola View Post
We're the new Anaheim?
The only thing the Canucks lack is that mean streak/toughness from their top end players. Calgary has Iginla, Regehr, and Phaneuf in that respect and Anaheim has Getzlaf, Perry, and Pronger to do the same.

pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote