HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Red Fisher: Schneider almost quit Habs in '94

Old
10-06-2008, 05:27 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toro View Post
completely agree, Red is completely out there. What the hell is this article? why does he bring this up now? just dumb.

Schneider reads this article and goes why did red bring that up? fracken a- hole can't write anything nice? Nope red's gotta make it look like he saved schneiders career and now look at how much money he makes.
I thought it was interesting enough to bring up. It gives us more insight to several things. Like why Scheider left MTL and when he was free recently, why the team didn't even think about bringing him back.

Jacques Demers looks foolish in this. He kept saying recently on radio "why doesn't the Habs pick Scheider up?".

Last edited by Kimota: 10-07-2008 at 08:29 PM.
Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2008, 06:43 AM
wedge

I don't care. We got great return for him and Muller. Turgeon and Malakhov were superior. Too bad that Houle gave away Turgeon a few years later.

wedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2008, 08:13 AM
Toro

I don't know i guess the guy just gets on my nerves anymore. To bring up a story like that is just weird to me. Like others said, he has to involve himself in all his stories. Im just tired of Red sorry...

Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2008, 08:22 AM
The Gal Pals
Breaking Hab

vCash: 1744
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomaridII View Post
THis is what I love and hate about Red Fisher. Why bring this up now? Really, what is the point? What do you accomplish?
Was Red Fisher against the idea of retiring Patrick Roy's number? That's the only thing I can think of for bringing up this incident now?

The Gal Pals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2008, 08:29 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by airic000 View Post
Was Red Fisher against the idea of retiring Patrick Roy's number? That's the only thing I can think of for bringing up this incident now?
Not that I saw.

I think he was clear about why he mentionned it in the article. Schneider was in the news as his contract was being shopped around the league, Fisher goes, 'Schneider ? I have a Schneider story'.

I don't get the questions though, the dressing room incident was a common story, no secret.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2008, 08:50 AM
Pascal

A hockey player should write a book on all the locker room stuff we never hear about. would be a great sell, and the player in question would be hated for life by many but..

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2008, 09:03 AM
mcphee

I think the most publicized locker room flareup was Henri Richard-Serge Savard.

The team was in a slump and some players were pissed at the media coverage. After a game, Savard suggested that they keep the press out of the room. Richard told him that they were just doing their jobs, Savard countered with, 'If you like them so much why don't you sleep with them ?'

Richard walked over to Savard and slapped him across the face. It seems that everyone got over it. Interesting that the incident, in a reporterless room, got reported the next day.

Old
10-06-2008, 09:23 AM
crystal ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by airic000 View Post
Yes, Fisher is strongly opposed to Roy's number being retired. He's mentioned it several times in the last year, most recently when the announcement was made official last month. He says Roy quit on the team and that his behaviour was unprofessional and disgraceful. He's never forgiven Roy for the blowup he had with Tremblay, and he's written a lot of stuff about all the rotten things Roy's done in the past. He just doesn't like Roy, and takes every opportunity to point that out. That's how I actually saw the Schneider story; as another chance to denounce Roy.

crystal ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2008, 09:43 AM
Gros Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
I think the most publicized locker room flareup was Henri Richard-Serge Savard.

The team was in a slump and some players were pissed at the media coverage. After a game, Savard suggested that they keep the press out of the room. Richard told him that they were just doing their jobs, Savard countered with, 'If you like them so much why don't you sleep with them ?'

Richard walked over to Savard and slapped him across the face. It seems that everyone got over it. Interesting that the incident, in a reporterless room, got reported the next day.
You forgot that part about Savard calling you and you going to his place to calm him down.

Gros Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2008, 09:57 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Bill View Post
You forgot that part about Savard calling you and you going to his place to calm him down.
otoh, I'm not 85 and have my ego just about under control. If I didn't I could count on you to do a Mike Boone column beside mine.

You know, Fisher's done this routine since I can remember. I remember listening to games on CBC radio when I was a kid and he'd sell himself with that, 'I'm above the fray' attitude.

I think Red's fast ball has slowed down to Bill Lee like velocity, but just for the connection to the team's history, I'm glad his Saturday page is still there. I don't see much relevance to be honest, and I know we've talked about it/him before, but I do read it on Saturday's.

During one of the press conferences, long before Carbo had his deal renewed, Fisher asked him directly about it. You could tell it was a subject Carbo wanted to avoid, and he looked at Fisher and said, 'only you Red'. At least someone still asks the questions now and again. It often has as much relevance as the 2 of us rambling about how popsicles used to be a nickel, but it doesn't make us extinct.

Old
10-06-2008, 09:59 AM
Gros Bill

Quote:
otoh, I'm not 85 and have my ego just about under control. If I didn't I could count on you to do a Mike Boone column beside mine.

You know, Fisher's done this routine since I can remember. I remember listening to games on CBC radio when I was a kid and he'd sell himself with that, 'I'm above the fray' attitude.

I think Red's fast ball has slowed down to Bill Lee like velocity, but just for the connection to the team's history, I'm glad his Saturday page is still there. I don't see much relevance to be honest, and I know we've talked about it/him before, but I do read it on Saturday's.

During one of the press conferences, long before Carbo had his deal renewed, Fisher asked him directly about it. You could tell it was a subject Carbo wanted to avoid, and he looked at Fisher and said, 'only you Red'. At least someone still asks the questions now and again. It often has as much relevance as the 2 of us rambling about how popsicles used to be a nickel, but it doesn't make us extinct.
A bag of potato chips used to be a nickel, too, my great and good friend.
Actually, I read Red's column on Saturdays, too, just for fun. His "period pieces" are starting to be the newspaper equivalent of a TV rerun, though.

Old
10-06-2008, 10:26 AM
mcphee

Quote:
A bag of potato chips used to be a nickel, too, my great and good friend.
Actually, I read Red's column on Saturdays, too, just for fun. His "period pieces" are starting to be the newspaper equivalent of a TV rerun, though.
Yeah, the anecdotes are hardly first run. Then again, Ad accused me of the same last time we got together so....

Here's a trivia question, who did he use that great and good friend line on first ?

Old
10-06-2008, 10:48 AM
Gros Bill

Quote:
Yeah, the anecdotes are hardly first run. Then again, Ad accused me of the same last time we got together so....

Here's a trivia question, who did he use that great and good friend line on first ?
Abraham?

Old
10-06-2008, 10:53 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Abraham?
Cain and Abel, nah, 2 guys I saw play in junior about 20 times during their draft year.

Old
10-06-2008, 11:37 AM
Fido22

People don't use the good old slap nearly enough as they should anymore.

Fido22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2008, 11:48 AM
Habs

Red Fisher has officially made the transformation into Howie Meeker and will continue to fill our lives with articles of unimportance.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2008, 11:52 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
Red Fisher has officially made the transformation into Howie Meeker and will continue to fill our lives with articles of unimportance.
but I ask you, what's of more import than the unimportant ?

Old
10-06-2008, 11:55 AM
Habs

Quote:
Did you just insult my mom again?

Old
10-06-2008, 02:31 PM
AD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
Did you just insult my mom again?
He did earlier:

Quote:
There's harm in this ? Geez we've become a bunch of old women. No offence to old women of course.

AD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2008, 02:45 PM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD View Post
He did earlier:
son of a !

Old
10-06-2008, 08:06 PM
Toro

Quote:
seriously, are you related to red or something? i don't understand the man crush. sure i enjoyed him when i was younger and still do occasionally but over all i don't really care for his work anymore.

The only thing he has going for him anymore is the fact that he has had his nose in the Canadiens arse longer than most of us have been breathing.

Old
10-06-2008, 08:14 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
seriously, are you related to red or something? i don't understand the man crush. sure i enjoyed him when i was younger and still do occasionally but over all i don't really care for his work anymore.

The only thing he has going for him anymore is the fact that he has had his nose in the Canadiens arse longer than most of us have been breathing.

The day when McPhee can't make a sarcastic joke on the habs board without a regular taking it the wrong way has finally arrived.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2008, 08:24 PM
Namso

what i hate about the red fisher saturday article is the amount of sucking up that Mike Boone does right next to it.

I mean seriously what the heck is up with the unending praise, affection and mrs. fishers comments? It just makes red look like an ego-driven old-timer trying to make his articles look good.

I dont mind Red Fisher's articles about the past (his assessment of the current NHL is another story though), but can I please be spared Boone's biased views.

Namso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2008, 09:22 PM
Toro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post

The day when McPhee can't make a sarcastic joke on the habs board without a regular taking it the wrong way has finally arrived.
well, Mcphee has like 15 posts in this thread defending Red, so.......Don't know how you get that he is being sarcastic

Old
10-06-2008, 09:38 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
well, Mcphee has like 15 posts in this thread defending Red, so.......Don't know how you get that he is being sarcastic
the post in particular that you quoted was clearly mcphee sarcasm.

Also i haven't seen him as defending him, just discussing him in a fair manner with both Red's good points and his bad points. Have you missed the part where he says that Red's ego is out of control and he always makes himself part of the story, or the part where he mentions that red has gotten repetitive in his old time stories.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote