HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Best Centre turned Winger

Closed Thread

Old
06-28-2004, 11:40 PM
Ri hards

vCash: 500
Best Centre turned Winger

Just reading through some posts and looking at depth charts, I noticed the Flyers have an abundance of centremen, and a disturbing lack of wingers.

So, which Flyers prospects (I'm gonna assume a prospect gets the move, if you think otherwise lmk) will be the best centre turned winger? Or to put it another way, who can we make into a scoring winger?

Carter
Sharp
Richards
Umberger

Old
06-28-2004, 11:52 PM
blah

Sharp to RW and Umberger to LW. Roenick should probably stay at RW. I wouldn't mind seeing him on a line w/ Kapanen-Primeau.

Last edited by blah: 06-29-2004 at 12:05 AM.
Old
06-29-2004, 12:13 AM
Pontifex Maximus*

Sharp is fine at center, 3rd or 4th line cneter that is.

The others will be determined by circumstances when they make the team.

But I hope Carter stays at center and we can build around him.

Richards will either be a solid 2nd center or be moved to RW with Gagne on the other side perhaps (or Ruzicka or Umberger on the right side).

Too early to say.

Old
06-29-2004, 12:27 AM
Ri hards

Quote:
Originally Posted by blah
Roenick should probably stay at RW.
I personally think we NEED Roenick at centre. Some people in other threads have said that Handzus and Primeau are 2nd/3rd line centres. I'd tend to agree with them.

Besides, I think Roenick and Gagne with maybe Kapenen (god willing he stays) would make a pretty good top line. Be better with a power forward, but we don't have one.

I was thinking of trying Carter out as a 2nd/3rd line winger, keeping Sharp at centre, and moving Umberger beside Primeau.

something like this with the players on hand

Gagne-Roenck-Kapenen
Carter-Handzus-Radivojevic
Somik-Primeau-Umberger
Brashear-Sharp-Fedoruk

I'd like us to get a scoring winger, or maybe keep Recchi, but that's a tale for a different thread.

Old
06-29-2004, 12:29 AM
blah

Sharp is terrible on draws. Likely canidate for a move to the wing.

Umberger from what I've read doesn't play that sound of a two-way game. Another canidate for a switch to wing.

Richards is supposedly great on faceoffs. If so, it'd be foolish to waste an asset like that.

Quote:
I personally think we NEED Roenick at centre. Some people in other threads have said that Handzus and Primeau are 2nd/3rd line centres. I'd tend to agree with them.
I really hope they don't build a line around Roenick. If only for the simple fact that they can't count on him to be healthy through the postseason.

Old
06-29-2004, 12:35 AM
Brad*

I don't think they should build a line around Roenick because he isn't that good of a playmaker anymore. Personally, of the players you listed I think Umberger would be the most likely candidate for a move to wing.

Old
06-29-2004, 02:29 AM
Ri hards

Okay, fair enough...Then my next question would be who's gonna be the number one centre?

Old
06-29-2004, 09:25 AM
FearTheFlyers

Quote:
Sharp to RW and Umberger to LW.
Ditto.

Old
06-29-2004, 10:23 AM
VaFlyer

I think almost anyone can move to the wing, the question is whether wings can move to center. Look how quickly Roenick made the switch to wing and didn't miss a beat after how many years at center? I think you could put together a lineup right now that has almost all of our young guys in the lineup with only 1 or 2 playing center.

Gagne/Carter/Umberger
Richards/Handzus/Ruzica
Eager/Primeau/Radio
Fedoruk/Sharp/Somik

Okay it is a really young lineup, but their is talent there. I wouldn't want to start the year with this lineup necessarily, but the potential is there to put this lineup together if we really wanted to.

Old
06-29-2004, 10:31 AM
fan mao rong

Who says Umberger is capable on the right side? Anybody see him play the offwing? Not me. I seem to recall seeing him on TV once for Ohio State and my recollection is a left shot and paper work I looked at has left shot. So is there a reason for the propensity to believe Umberger should be moved in as a RW?

Old
06-29-2004, 11:32 AM
GoneFullHolmgren
def. hockey FAIL

vCash: 50
Quote:
Sharp is terrible on draws. Likely canidate for a move to the wing.

Umberger from what I've read doesn't play that sound of a two-way game. Another canidate for a switch to wing.

Richards is supposedly great on faceoffs. If so, it'd be foolish to waste an asset like that.

I really hope they don't build a line around Roenick. If only for the simple fact that they can't count on him to be healthy through the postseason.
I am not worried about Umberger. They said Gagne couldnt play a 2 way game and he has turned himself(with Hitch's help) into a solid 2 way player. I see no reason why Umberger cant be tought how to be defensivly responsible

Old
06-29-2004, 11:45 AM
iceman42

Quote:
Isnt that the knock on most young players?

Old
06-29-2004, 12:02 PM
blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman42
Isnt that the knock on most young players?
Primeau, Handzus, and Richards are two-way centers. I'm not sure on Carter. Is Umberger bumping any of those 4 to the wing? Highly doubtful.

Old
06-29-2004, 12:59 PM
iceman42

Quote:
Primeau, Handzus, and Richards are two-way centers. I'm not sure on Carter. Is Umberger bumping any of those 4 to the wing? Highly doubtful.
Sorry what I said that was more of a general question.

Sure there are good two way centers, but for the most part most young kids coming in need to learn how to play defense at the NHL level, Primeau, Handzus are not kids, Ricahrds is not going to be a Selkie trophy finalist for a few years yet.

Old
06-29-2004, 01:50 PM
blah

I think Umberger will be a center on the Phantoms but move to the wing when he joins the Flyers. Nothing wrong w/ that.

Old
06-29-2004, 02:34 PM
VaFlyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fan mao rong
Who says Umberger is capable on the right side? Anybody see him play the offwing? Not me. I seem to recall seeing him on TV once for Ohio State and my recollection is a left shot and paper work I looked at has left shot. So is there a reason for the propensity to believe Umberger should be moved in as a RW?
I was pretty sure that I saw Holmgren say that he would probably be a RW at the NHL level, but would start with the Phantoms at center.

Closed Thread