HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

OT- Ryan Hollweg suspended already!!

Old
10-07-2008, 08:19 AM
Chimp

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej20 View Post
People pay more for tickets and merchandise these days. Player's get paid a ridiculous amount of money to play a game. That's why they complain more when they see a lack of effort. Period.

For the 3rd time now, I am NOT talking about Ryan Hollweg. I am done with this.
Ever heard of inflation? It's never been cheap to go to a NHL game. A hockey player earning $5000 a year in 1946 was still well paid. Not as well paid as today, but still well paid. And a hockey fan was just as disappointed in bad play then as today.

Last edited by Chimp: 10-07-2008 at 08:27 AM.
Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2008, 08:33 AM
AK2794

my blood still boils when I think of his dumba** penalty in the Pens series these past playoffs. WHYYYY???!!

AK2794 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2008, 09:20 AM
Bill_Crosby

Quote:
Originally Posted by GongShowHockeyNYR View Post
Your not making too much sense.

Hollweg made a whopping 500k.
That is still more than a lot of people make in 10 years.

Bill_Crosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2008, 09:24 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_Crosby View Post
That is still more than a lot of people make in 10 years.
And?

10-07-2008, 11:44 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

one of these days hes going to paralyze someone with that hit from behind crap he does. its always been my biggest problem with his game. play the right way, dont play cheap like that.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2008, 12:29 PM
In The Flesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by DruMez View Post
I agree, and it's nothing against him personally, but after the crap he pulled in the playoffs against Pittsburgh, turning the momentum of a game, and maybe the series, I'm just so happy that we're rid of him and that he's somebody elses problem. (I also have no love lost for the Leafs)
he def. did not lose us that series.

kind of feel sorry for the guy, was hoping he'd do well in TOR, one suspension doesn't mean he can't thou.

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2008, 12:31 PM
In The Flesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
And?
And he's playing hockey for a half a mil, I'd kill for that, as most people would.

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2008, 12:38 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by theMessiah1194 View Post
And he's playing hockey for a half a mil, I'd kill for that, as most people would.
I don't doubt that. But what does that have to do with people killing this guy.

He's gone. Be glad. I don't see deriving any joy from his bad fortune.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2008, 01:23 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

I actually think its useful to have a guy like Ryan Hollweg on your team. Its not a bad thing to put a little fear in the opposition....but there came a time when it became tough to defend his willingness to crunch someone from behind.

That, and he had next to zero hockey sense.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2008, 01:58 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
I don't doubt that. But what does that have to do with people killing this guy.

He's gone. Be glad. I don't see deriving any joy from his bad fortune.
Exactly.

Jeez Balej20, talk about sense of entitlement....thats why I can't stand a good number of sports fans, they take it way too far.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 10:43 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Why is everybody getting so defensive about Hollweg?

The guy stunk, was a detriment to the team, and in my 30 years of watching the Rangers, he is the ONLY non-goalie I ever watched single-handedly cost the Rangers points in the standings. In fact, more so than an aging Greschner, Hardy, Nedved, Driver, Poti, Kamensky, malik, Ozolinsh and Malik combined

I mean, you guys saying he is being wrongfully attacked and ostracized for yet another in a series of dirty and illegal hits act like he was a six-time Lady Byng winner. This guy didn't survive cancer. He didn't work for the Peace Corps, and wasn't a firefighter on 9-11. He was a 4th line goon who couldn't score in a female college with a kilo of cocaine.

But I'm supposed to keep my mouth shut because he worked hard and only made 500,000? Please. Spare me the guilt.
I am so glad this guy is no longer around sucking oxygen away from people in and around MSG.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 01:11 PM
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
Another major penalty today..

Blues just scored 2 goals on his major to tie the game at 3 after being down 3-0.

Fire Sather is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 01:13 PM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

He's gone for 3 now. 6 games into the season and he'll be suspended for 5 of them.

Jaysfanatic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 01:15 PM
rickyrod

I doubt he'll be a Leaf much longer. Maybe he can find a roster spot over in Finland or something. I doubt any other NHL teams will take the chance.

rickyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 01:19 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

The guy clearly doesnt know what he's doing out there.

Still, I don't rejoice in his failure.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 02:06 PM
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss

Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
I'm not rejoicing in his failure, I'm rejoicing in the supporters faces who call him Hollywood and act like he's the greatest thing since slice bread. It doesn't surprise me, really. Hollweg is simply a stupid hockey player.

Glen Teflon Sather is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 04:05 PM
MTK

I have to give Sather credit that he got a 5th round pick for him.

MTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 04:43 PM
OneSharpMarble

Hollweg is a coward, he only ever seems to hit rookies and small guys and it's always from behind.

I don't like the leafs but this guy is an embarrassment to any team. Hopefully they can dump him before he does something with permanent conseqences.

OneSharpMarble is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 04:47 PM
Vitto79

what a dummy

Vitto79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 11:23 PM
z1co80
The Incredible Hank

vCash: 50
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3GwIJNOknc

thats the Hollweg hit at 3-3

look familiar?

z1co80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 12:31 AM
danno2530

Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
Damn that was dirty. He's got to get several games for that, just completely unnecessary.

danno2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 12:52 AM
lbrowne

It's pretty darn easy when it comes to those types of plays as shown in the leafs highlights. Anyone that has ever played hockey on any sort of competitive level would know.

If you're comin around with the puck to play it and there's someone hot on your heels - you're basically writing yourself off if you turn away. Turning your back at the last second trying to get a free pass to play the puck and expect the other guy to not hit you is ridiculous.

At the level the NHL played at guys are going to be coming at you with alot of speed and there are players that their job is to hit and hit hard. Either position yourself to absorb the hit while still trying to make a play (which would mean you still getting hit hard but being ready) OR ready yourself to hit the oncoming person when in most cases catches them off guard.

Turning your back is a cowardly thing to do and begging to get hurt. This is not men's beer league hockey, which at this point in my life I still don't turn my back on those plays because there are some who still like to play it on the edge - which I don't mind.

lbrowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 10:33 AM
Synergy27

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrowne View Post
It's pretty darn easy when it comes to those types of plays as shown in the leafs highlights. Anyone that has ever played hockey on any sort of competitive level would know.

If you're comin around with the puck to play it and there's someone hot on your heels - you're basically writing yourself off if you turn away. Turning your back at the last second trying to get a free pass to play the puck and expect the other guy to not hit you is ridiculous.

At the level the NHL played at guys are going to be coming at you with alot of speed and there are players that their job is to hit and hit hard. Either position yourself to absorb the hit while still trying to make a play (which would mean you still getting hit hard but being ready) OR ready yourself to hit the oncoming person when in most cases catches them off guard.

Turning your back is a cowardly thing to do and begging to get hurt. This is not men's beer league hockey, which at this point in my life I still don't turn my back on those plays because there are some who still like to play it on the edge - which I don't mind.
I absolutely agree with you in that I find it irresponsible for player's to turn their back on the play and put themselves in injury prone positions. But, I think there are a couple of things you are missing:

1. Turning your back on the play in a beer league is insane for a variety of reasons. First off, it's safe to assume that the guys speeding around the ice with you have far less control over their bodies than NHLers. I can't even count how many times I've been awkwardly slammed into by guys who didn't even mean to do so, let alone your rogue idiot with something to prove.

2. You have absolutely no incentive to put yourself in a position where you might get hurt in a beer league. There is absolutely nothing at stake. The same cannot be said for an NHL game, as it can often be in a player's best interest to put himself in harm's way if it means successfully completing a play (as weird as that sounds) because his job may literally be dependent on it.

3. Cowardice has little (in fact, nothing) to do with the fact that Ryan Hollweg is a repeat offender. If these hits are usually the fault of the guy getting hit (as opposed to the hitter), you wouldn't see the same few guys getting whistled time and time again.

Ryan Hollweg is a kid who is in the NHL for a reason, and that reason is clearly not his ability to score goals. He is out there to hit first and foremost, but his inability to control himself is simply dangerous. Fans of other teams have been saying this forever, I've agreed with them for a long time, and now that he's gone you'll see many of Hollweg's supporters here start changing their tone as well.

Synergy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 11:25 AM
lbrowne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy27 View Post
I absolutely agree with you in that I find it irresponsible for player's to turn their back on the play and put themselves in injury prone positions. But, I think there are a couple of things you are missing:

1. Turning your back on the play in a beer league is insane for a variety of reasons. First off, it's safe to assume that the guys speeding around the ice with you have far less control over their bodies than NHLers. I can't even count how many times I've been awkwardly slammed into by guys who didn't even mean to do so, let alone your rogue idiot with something to prove.

That is exactly what I'm talking about in what I typed, that even at that level you can never turn away from the play. Especially in those situations.

2. You have absolutely no incentive to put yourself in a position where you might get hurt in a beer league. There is absolutely nothing at stake. The same cannot be said for an NHL game, as it can often be in a player's best interest to put himself in harm's way if it means successfully completing a play (as weird as that sounds) because his job may literally be dependent on it.

Definitely, because whether he makes the play or not, if the player shied away from the hit completely then he gets hell from the coach and more than likely some of his peers. Stay protected all the time (although someone will catch you watching a pass somewhere along the line)

3. Cowardice has little (in fact, nothing) to do with the fact that Ryan Hollweg is a repeat offender. If these hits are usually the fault of the guy getting hit (as opposed to the hitter), you wouldn't see the same few guys getting whistled time and time again.

This doesn't change the fact that the player saw Hollweg coming, and when the range is within just a few feet, he turns. It's very simple, you don't do it. I know Hollweg has been a repeat offender. Look at this play without the names involved and there's no arguing that the player hit let his guard down in a fast paced, high impact game. People have been calling for Hollweg's head for quite some time, but there have been sports analysts for years discouraging what that leaf's player did in that situation.
If all you had to do was turn your back when someone was coming to play the body on you, then the game would not be what it is.

Hitting from behind is horrible don't get me wrong, but purposely putting yourself in the situation to be a victim is even worse.

edit: Synergy27 - I just find it frustrating because enough people get hurt from clean contact, no need to put yourself at serious risk intentionally. I think this second suspension has alot to do with his recent occurrence as well. I will admit Hollweg definitely has to smarten up on some of the plays he's involved in, but he also has countless clean hits on every shift he plays.

Last edited by lbrowne: 10-14-2008 at 11:34 AM.
lbrowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2008, 02:15 PM
Janelle15

Oh man...

This didn't exactly come as a shock! I have to admit, I did like his tough guy attitude when he first came to the Ranger's. ow he is just over doing it, luckilly its not on Ranger's ice.

Janelle15 is offline   Reply With Quote