HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs sign Robert Mayer

Old
10-08-2008, 07:43 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

vCash: 500
I got to see Robert Mayer and Nicola Riopel(both at Habs prospect camp) go head to head again on Sunday, and once again they both got a star and stopped over 30 shots in a 3-2 St.John OT win. Mayer is looking like a great pick up as a FA, he's much more poised this year(last year he was floping around way too much) and playing big in net. His legs are very quick as he is hard to beat down low. If you get a chance to see him you should go. I think he has more upside than anybody outside of Price in our system.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 07:59 AM
Whitesnake
Steel your Habs away

vCash: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
I got to see Robert Mayer and Nicola Riopel(both at Habs prospect camp) go head to head again on Sunday, and once again they both got a star and stopped over 30 shots in a 3-2 St.John OT win. Mayer is looking like a great pick up as a FA, he's much more poised this year(last year he was floping around way too much) and playing big in net. His legs are very quick as he is hard to beat down low. If you get a chance to see him you should go. I think he has more upside than anybody outside of Price in our system.
That and Mayer's problem like tons of youngster are his consistency within a game. That usual bad goal per game was a normal scenario for him. If he can correct that and be consistant from game to game, he could be a fine pickup. Like I was saying prior to the draft, I didn't want him, too many intangibles. But clearly giving him a tryout, despite not wanting to use a draft pick, was one of the most brillant decisions as far as tryouts in the past 5 years. And it did pay off. I'll watch his developement that's for sure.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 03:13 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

vCash: 500
I saw his two games against Shawingian, it wasn't pretty especailly when Shaw was on the PP, they looked impressive to say the least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
I got to see Robert Mayer and Nicola Riopel(both at Habs prospect camp) go head to head again on Sunday, and once again they both got a star and stopped over 30 shots in a 3-2 St.John OT win
Funny that you bring this up, I have a poll on my site to see what goalie out of the two did people want to see signed, or both or neither. Mayer is more touted as I recall going into last season he was considered to be one of the top goalie draft picks from the Q for the '08 draft, but Riopel is off to a very good start, already named the defensive player of the month. Perhaps they will invite him back next year as the Habs could use more depth if just Desjardins and Mayer are signed (not counting Price/Halak)

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 03:18 PM
Whitesnake
Steel your Habs away

vCash: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
I saw his two games against Shawingian, it wasn't pretty especailly when Shaw was on the PP, they looked impressive to say the least.

Funny that you bring this up, I have a poll on my site to see what goalie out of the two did people want to see signed, or both or neither. Mayer is more touted as I recall going into last season he was considered to be one of the top goalie draft picks from the Q for the '08 draft, but Riopel is off to a very good start, already named the defensive player of the month. Perhaps they will invite him back next year as the Habs could use more depth if just Desjardins and Mayer are signed (not counting Price/Halak)
Just to show you that what you see at a dev. camp is not always what it really is. While I wasn't a Mayer's fan for the draft, I came away really impressed by his job at the dev. camp. For a tryout, I was really pleased. At the same time, I found Riopel to be just out of his league......The gap between those 2 was so evident during that week that I would've signe Mayer after 15 minutes and would have cut Riopel after the same 15 minutes......just to show you that patience is key and that you need more than 1 game, 1 week and even 1 year to have a real opinion on somebody.

I do hope that they invite him back. He was at the camp, clearly Melanson will check how he's doing and so far so good to say the least.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote