HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

O'Sullivan SIGNED! - 3 Years / $2.925MM per year

Old
10-07-2008, 08:58 PM
sueroe

vCash: 500
i think he (wabwat) is referring to Dean not dealing, and drawing a line in the sand and coming out on top of this negotiation. I think that is what he is saying.
Obviously Patrick is an RFA and it was his first full season, so Dean had leverage. I think he did have to compromise in the end of all this. I think they were waiting for the other to move, and in the end Dean was busting his ass directly involved in getting the deal done. For sure i think the Kings got the better end of the deal.

Last edited by sueroe: 10-07-2008 at 09:07 PM.
sueroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2008, 09:05 PM
DIEHARD the King fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidward View Post
So now that this thread will meet it's demise, is it too early to start a Kopitar and/or Johnson contract status thread? Because if Dean has learned anything from this ordeal it is that waiting until the last minute is not a good strategy. Hopefully after signing O'Sullivan he started calling both of these players agents.
RELAX,

Its only October, we've got Twelve months to '09 training camp.

[I thought I'd stake my claim to Tik's favorite post a bit early!]

DIEHARD the King fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2008, 09:08 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by sueroe View Post
i think he (wabwat) is referring to Dean not dealing, and drawing a line in the sand and coming out on top of this negotiation. I think that is what he is saying.
Obviously Patrick is an RFA and it was his first full season, so Dean had leverage. I think he did have to comprimise in the end of all this. I think they were waiting for the other to move, and in the end Dean was busting his ass directly involved in getting the deal done. For sure i think the Kings got the better end of the deal.
Considering many of us thought that O'Sullivan would get between $3.25 and $3.5 million/year I believe that Dean made out like a bandit on this. The funny thing is many of us believe this contract is a steal for Dean/Kings. But I bet he was still holding out hope that he could get Patrick to sign for much less. I think it is wise to be frugal with some of these contracts. But being too frugal can be counterproductive.

Captain Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2008, 09:10 PM
no name

Im happy

no name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2008, 09:14 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIEHARD the King fan View Post
RELAX,

Its only October, we've got Twelve months to '09 training camp.

[I thought I'd stake my claim to Tik's favorite post a bit early!]
Actually it is only 11 1/2.

(queue Jeopardy theme)

Old
10-07-2008, 09:21 PM
sueroe

Quote:
Originally Posted by no name View Post
Im happy
lol! well said. For me i was kind of seeing an identity of this team being developed at the end of the season with Fro, O'Sullivan, Kopitar, and Brown. Cammy too, but i had high doubts that he would be around. I was having a hard time getting my head around it without O'Sullivan, so it is all good now.

Old
10-07-2008, 09:37 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by no name View Post
Im happy
Yep. Glad he's aboard again.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2008, 10:06 PM
Quattro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
Is there a problem? You make it sound like there was a clock to punch.

- T
ummm...yes? Sully missed all of camp with a new coach and new system. There is a possibility that his relationship with the team is damaged ala Cammy (we don't know this but it is certainly a possibility) and there may also be collateral damage with future contract negotiations with other players who are pals with Sully (again, maybe not). Bottom line is it took months to cut a deal that is within a few % points of what the entire world thought would be the result anyway.

BTW, I like the deal. Wish it was for 4-5 years, but hey. Let's play hockey.

Quattro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2008, 10:08 PM
sueroe

nice quotes from Patrick on Hammonds site.

http://www.insidesocal.com/kings/200...es-2.html#more

Old
10-08-2008, 12:02 AM
BurningBright

I hope Sully doesnt get the other spot on the top line on sunday. Give that to Moller. He actually took part in training camp. He deserves it. Sully just sat around all summer on his butt. Even though Sully is finally signed, im still not happy with him for missing the entire preseason.

BurningBright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 12:12 AM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quattro View Post
you think most of us make $295-$420K a year? LOL - Must be a different world in the ol' Premiere section.
It is. Thank god they keep the riff raff like you outta there.

KINGS17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 12:46 AM
Sybil227

Quote:
Originally Posted by sueroe View Post
nice quotes from Patrick on Hammonds site.

http://www.insidesocal.com/kings/200...es-2.html#more
BEST part of this interview:
POS: ..."to be a part of that for three years, and hopefully longer after that"

Sybil227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 12:54 AM
LAX attack*

Send a message via AIM to LAX attack*
how about we stop worrying about how long it took, and rejoice aabout his signing?

LAX attack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 12:57 AM
Mindcircus

Finally this gets done. Hopefully we won't see more of the same with Kopi and JJ coming up.

Mindcircus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 01:36 AM
aegwillnotwinthecup*

This contract sets an incredibly advantageous bar for the Kings in negotiating Kopitar and Johnson's extensions. I fully expect Kopitar to sign a five year, 5 - 6 per contract at some point during the season.

Lombardi is building a powerhouse. This is such an great signing for the team. Yeah, Sully missed camp and the preseason, but he sounds psyched to get back on the ice. From what he said, he's still been hitting the gym every day. He actually complained about hitting the gym every day by himself knowing Kopitar and the guys were on the ice. He's itching to go. It'll take a little time to adjust to Murray's system, but he's young and resilient and a good hockey player.

This is turning point, in my opinion. This sets the bar for future extensions, much moreso than Brown's obvious hometown discount. If Lombardi didn't knock out this signing, I really saw things going downhill.

It's all up from here. Go Kings.

aegwillnotwinthecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 01:37 AM
LAX attack*

Send a message via AIM to LAX attack*
Quote:
Originally Posted by aegwillnotwinthecup View Post
This contract sets an incredibly advantageous bar for the Kings in negotiating Kopitar and Johnson's extensions. I fully expect Kopitar to sign a five year, 5 - 6 per contract at some point during the season.

Lombardi is building a powerhouse. This is such an great signing for the team. Yeah, Sully missed camp and the preseason, but he sounds psyched to get back on the ice. From what he said, he's still been hitting the gym every day. He actually complained about hitting the gym every day by himself knowing Kopitar and the guys were on the ice. He's itching to go. It'll take a little time to adjust to Murray's system, but he's young and resilient and a good hockey player.

This is turning point, in my opinion. This sets the bar for future extensions, much moreso than Brown's obvious hometown discount. If Lombardi didn't knock out this signing, I really saw things going downhill.

I dont know what happened to you man, but I like the way you are thinking

these truly reflect my sentiments

LAX attack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 01:45 AM
Captain Ron

Quote:

I am usually not the optimistic type....but knowing that O'Sullivan is signed for at least 3 more years makes me feel somewhat better about this season and the not-too-distant future. If Dean can get both Kopitar and Johnson extended before June (so we do not have to re-live this situation) then I will feel a whole lot better about the Kings chances in the years to come.

Old
10-08-2008, 01:59 AM
Cosmos

I haven't read all 700+ posts, but did someone mention the fact that POS's contract came in under Browns?

I think is this sense Lombardi has succeeded.

Cosmos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 02:25 AM
Zad
HFB Partner

Well done Dean. I was hoping for 3 years @ 3 million and he came below it.

3 years is hopefully close to the top of the Kings' bell curve of Cup competitiveness and this team and its youth have come into its own.

Go Kings.

Zad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 02:42 AM
DIEHARD the King fan

Quote:

AGREED. THIS DEAL HAD TO GET DONE, and even if it were for the numbers that Kostitsyn got, (it was 275K less per year) it would have set the Kings up for the extensions/re-signings of Kopi and JMFJ.

I said elsewhere that it will likley take no more than 10 Million per year to re-sign both (approximately 5.5 to 6MM to Kopi and approximately 3.5 to 4MM for JMFJ) and I just hope we dont have this kind of protracted negotiation problem with either of them. Although my expectations for the team are low, I am excited that Kings Hockey is just four days away.

Question, for those of you that look at the numbers closely, will Sully's cap hit keep us over the floor as DD's bonus cap hit falls as the bonuses become unobtainable? Also, does DD have bonuses built in to next years contract as well or do the bonuses fall away and free up more cap space?

I can't wait for the PUCK TO DROP. Game ON!

DIEHARD the King fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 06:50 AM
funky

great deal for both sides. Lets drop the puck

funky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 06:51 AM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Kopitar's should be relatively easy. Lombardi isn't going to skimp too much and it will be pretty straight forward $5-6 million long-term deal. The one contract I am worried about now is Jack Johnson's... He has not truly come to form yet and is still developing which I believe will hurt his contract negotiations. I think DL may undercut him and it will end up in another Sully-like contract war. It will get done but maybe messy.

Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 08:11 AM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIEHARD the King fan View Post

Question, for those of you that look at the numbers closely, will Sully's cap hit keep us over the floor as DD's bonus cap hit falls as the bonuses become unobtainable? Also, does DD have bonuses built in to next years contract as well or do the bonuses fall away and free up more cap space?

I can't wait for the PUCK TO DROP. Game ON!
To answer your question......for all three years Doughty's cap hit will be $3.475 million to start each season. Then as he misses the predetermined goals that activate the bonus clauses they will be deducted. This season is different than others though, because in seasons past a team was allowed to exceed the cap with a certain dollar amount of bonuses that they figured the players were unlikely to attain. Since the CBA has the possibility of being renegotiated next off-season that option is not available this year.

But if in the future the Kings have a payroll that is potentially about to exceed the cap limit and they have one or more players on rookie contracts with many bonus clauses that are unlikely to be obtained the Kings will have the luxury of exceeding the cap. Although I cannot envision a scenario where AEG would ever go over $57 million on payroll....even if they were permitted to.

Old
10-08-2008, 08:11 AM
I Am Ziggy Palffy

i think the fact that this negotiation got more publicity, a lot of GM's with there own young stars to sign are thanking DL right now. Rather than dishing out 4 mil, which i dont think would have been a complete shock, DL stood strong and got a good deal out of it. Now, rather than looking at a young Jeff Carter and his 5 mil contract (though situation varies a bit), GM's can point to Sully's contract and use that to their advantage. Dont want to go overboard here, but DL took the risk, and won a CBA-type battle, and the whole league's GM's can thank him for that.

I Am Ziggy Palffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 09:38 AM
saintsnsoldiers
The Nolanator

Lots of posts to read, I am assuming Sully has been on the ice skating and practicing somewhere? Any info on this.

saintsnsoldiers is offline   Reply With Quote