HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canucks Waive Cowan, Lose McIver to Ducks(TSN)

Old
10-05-2008, 05:22 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
But but but...I thought Mattias Ohlund was a number 1 defenseman? How come McIver couldn't play with him then?

10-05-2008, 05:23 PM
MS

McIver is no big loss. Happy for him that he's getting a chance in Anaheim, although I think he'll get absolutely scorched if they try giving him a regular rotation on the blueline, even with Pronger.

He's been lit up like a Christmas tree every time he's stepped on NHL ice - opposition has outscored us 12-1 with him on the ice, and that's seeing highly-sheltered minutes against opposition depth players. Can't skate at the NHL level, has no puck skill. I suspect he'll be back in the minors before November.

Even though he's been passed in the depth chart by better guys, I still have a lot of respect for Cowan and it has to be tough for him to be seeing his NHL career potentially come to an end. Would have nothing at all against giving him another look here at some point later this year if we suffer some grinder injuries, and if he goes to Manitoba and competes hard for that team and is a leader there, which I suspect he will.

MS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2008, 05:30 PM
pitseleh

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Pauser View Post
But but but...I thought Mattias Ohlund was a number 1 defenseman? How come McIver couldn't play with him then?
Yes, because people have said that Mattias Ohlund = Chris Pronger.

There's a huge difference between a #1 defenseman and an elite Norris trophy winning defenseman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS View Post
Even though he's been passed in the depth chart by better guys, I still have a lot of respect for Cowan and it has to be tough for him to be seeing his NHL career potentially come to an end. Would have nothing at all against giving him another look here at some point later this year if we suffer some grinder injuries, and if he goes to Manitoba and competes hard for that team and is a leader there, which I suspect he will.
What's really going to hurt Cowan, somewhat ironically, is that he'll have to go through re-entry waivers on the way back up if the Canucks want to call him up because of his one-way contract (and thus large AHL salary). Assuming Brown clears, he'll be the first call up for the fourth line because he won't have to go through re-entry.

pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2008, 08:41 PM
bringbacktroygamble*

no more brabarian

first post *****es......

i liked McIver he was a decent depth defenceman but cowan's time in van was way over due... he wasnt even usefull out there anymore...

oh yeah and bring back troy gamble... luongo is ****...

bringbacktroygamble* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2008, 08:45 PM
Bullet Tooth Tony

welcome?

Bullet Tooth Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2008, 02:32 AM
pitseleh

Interesting note from Matt Sekeres:

Quote:
On the fourth line, Rick Rypien, a Vigneault favourite, will align with Ryan Johnson and Darcy Hordichuk. The Canucks made that move evident by putting veteran Jeff Cowan on waivers this weekend. They were expected to do the same with rugged winger Mike Brown on Monday, but Vigneault said that decision could be re-considered.
http://www.globesports.com/servlet/s...rtsHockey/home

I'm guessing that Brown will only be kept around if Nycholat is put on the IR for his back problem.

Old
10-06-2008, 11:02 AM
Bullet Tooth Tony

Just checked the score of last night's game and had a good laugh when I saw who got the game winner... how ironic

Bullet Tooth Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2008, 11:40 AM
alternate

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitseleh View Post
Interesting note from Matt Sekeres:

http://www.globesports.com/servlet/s...rtsHockey/home

I'm guessing that Brown will only be kept around if Nycholat is put on the IR for his back problem.
that's what MG said (more or less) this morning on team1040. He said Nycolat is going in for an MRI and they'd be making decisions after that. He specifically said Brown might not get sent down now, depending on the long term Nycholat situation.

He also slipped up and admitted Wellwood has made the team. he was asked to compare Wellwood vs Krog, said he liked both but no decisions had been made yet. He then went on to say that the upcoming road trip would help get Wellwood into the elite conditioning he needs to be. when asked if that meant Wellwood had made the team, MG went back to "no decisions have been made yet".

alternate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2008, 11:42 AM
pitseleh

Quote:
Originally Posted by alternate View Post
He also slipped up and admitted Wellwood has made the team. he was asked to compare Wellwood vs Krog, said he liked both but no decisions had been made yet. He then went on to say that the upcoming road trip would help get Wellwood into the elite conditioning he needs to be. when asked if that meant Wellwood had made the team, MG went back to "no decisions have been made yet".
Heh, that's pretty funny. That makes it sounds like Wellwood has made the team and will be playing. I wonder how they plan on getting him into the lineup?

Old
10-06-2008, 11:55 AM
Ernie

From that article, an interesting shot at Burke:
Quote:
The cynical view at Canucks headquarters is that Brian Burke and Dave Nonis, both former Canuck general managers with ample of love lost for the franchise, made the waiver claim just to complicate matters for Gillis and Vigneault.
This isn't the type of press that Burke needs in the largest NHL media market, the very market in which Burke is hoping to be a GM in a year's time. He might want to bury the hatchet. I have a feeling that if he is going to try to play the media game against Gillis, he might just end up losing.

Just that statement alone is media mastery - no direct quote, but at the same time, directly chipping away at Burke's credibility. Knowing Burke, his immediate impulse would be to lash back, which would only make things worse.

Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2008, 12:41 PM
SopelFan*

Send a message via MSN to SopelFan*
So according to that article it will be:

22 Daniel Sedin - 33 Henrik Sedin - 18 Steve Bernier
21 Mason Raymond - 38 Pavol Demitra - 9 Taylor Pyatt
14 Alex Burrows - 17 Ryan Kesler - 36 Jannik Hansen
24 Darcy Hordichuk - 10 Ryan Johnson - 37 Rick Rypien
42 Kyle Wellwood / 13 Mike Brown, injured: 25 Matt Pettinger

2 Mattias Ohlund - 23 Alex Edler
8 Willie Mitchell - 3 Kevin Bieksa
5 Lukas Krajicek - 6 Sami Salo
4 Rob Davison, injured: 28 Lawrence Nycholat

1 Roberto Luongo
41 Curtis Sanford

SopelFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2008, 12:46 PM
tantalum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
I'm not sure how is complicates things for Gillis. Sure they lose some defensive depth but ultimately between Davison, Krajicek, Baumgartner, and Nycholat thye have enough 5-8 D-men. If thye are having to go down to the McIver level of depth the team is in serious trouble anyways and would likely address the problem in another way given the cap space they have.

Anaheim can use him and if they decide to send him down the canucks re-claim him and send him directly to Manitoba.

And if it was their intent to complicate matters for Gillis I have to wonder the priorities. Seems to me they should be worried about improving their own team not engaging in junior high tactics.

tantalum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2008, 12:48 PM
Jay Cee
P4G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie View Post

This isn't the type of press that Burke needs in the largest NHL media market, the very market in which Burke is hoping to be a GM in a year's time. He might want to bury the hatchet. I have a feeling that if he is going to try to play the media game against Gillis, he might just end up losing.

Just that statement alone is media mastery - no direct quote, but at the same time, directly chipping away at Burke's credibility. Knowing Burke, his immediate impulse would be to lash back, which would only make things worse.
That's total BS.

Burke is stubborn and sometimes retarded but the most probable answer is the most likely. Burke obviously is a big fan of McIver and doesn't have the defensive depth we do.

Picking up McIver who is nice in some limited ways isn't exactly "complicating" things for us. If we really wanted a player like that for the 8th spot we could always go out and pick one up cheap.

I call this yet another example of the dumb Vancouver media trying to find controversy where ever they can.

Jay Cee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2008, 04:24 PM
Ernie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyatt4God View Post
I call this yet another example of the dumb Vancouver media trying to find controversy where ever they can.
In case you didn't notice, it wasn't Vancouver media.

The implication in the article is that someone in the Canucks front office told the Globe and Mail reporter that they suspect that Burke did the move out of spite. If it was a Vancouver reporter, nobody would have cared, but in the largest paper in the country - it does matter.

Regardless of what the truth of the matter is, it's not quite the angle that Burke would want in the paper. It's quite minor, but it's a shot across the Burkie bow with the message that Gillis will push back at him in places that count.

Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 12:48 PM
pitseleh

Looks like Cowan might not be going to Manitoba:

Quote:
Cowan has cleared waivers and Vigneault said the team is exploring "all possibilities as far as getting Jeff a place to play. Manitoba is one of those possibilities, but we are also looking at some other possibilities."
http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/n...c7ca2fe7de&p=2

Not sure what other possibilities are, other than maybe the KHL?

Old
10-08-2008, 12:59 PM
Balls Mahoney
The Tryamkin Era!!!

Quote:

Before everyone starts with the retarded easy jokes about him playing bantam or whatever the **** passes for humor on HF nowadays. Perhaps he's going to get loaned to another AHL team or a team has expressed interest in taking him on. I can't really imagine that but it sounds like the Canucks got something going on for Cowan.

One more note, anytime you have to use " " at the end of a joke... it's probably not funny.

Balls Mahoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 01:12 PM
Zorbane

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneDayAsALion View Post

One more note, anytime you have to use " " at the end of a joke... it's probably not funny.
It's the internet, no one can tell if your joke is retarded or if YOU are the one that is retarded.

for completion's sake

Zorbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 01:32 PM
Burke's Evil Spirit

Quote:

Honestly, with Cowan, it seems more likely he'd go to the Swiss or German league.

Edit - And if Burke is putting McIver on his blueline purely to spite Mike Gillis, he is much dumber than I thought.

Burke's Evil Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 02:48 PM
Agent007

Quote:

Cowan has been assigned to Peoria of the AHL according to Team 1040 updates.

Agent007 is offline   Reply With Quote