HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

The everso disputed point system

View Poll Results: Now what points system would be preferable in your opinion?
The present one (W-L-OTL-SOL) 16 37.21%
The pre-lockout (W-L-OTL-T) 5 11.63%
The old classic (W-L-T) 6 13.95%
The one point system (1 win = 1 point, that's all) 1 2.33%
Same as #4, except, 2 points for wins 4 9.30%
The three points system (see present thread) 7 16.28%
The Rugby system (see 2nd page of thread) 1 2.33%
An alternative to all those 3 6.98%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old
10-08-2008, 01:20 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AD View Post
But the total number of points given out per division would be the same.
yeah, I got that already, it would still remain unfair to the conference titles and such for overall points, and also for the last places for the playoffs. Chicago, Nashville, Columbus and St-Louis would lose a lot more in regulation because of Detroit and then have less chances of making the playoffs compared to the other teams in the other divisions. Accordingly, Detroit would have an advantage over the other divisional title to get the conference title.

So in the end, yes the point totals would be even for all divisions, but it would still be an unfair system.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 01:32 PM
AD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
yeah, I got that already, it would still remain unfair to the conference titles and such for overall points, and also for the last places for the playoffs. Chicago, Nashville, Columbus and St-Louis would lose a lot more in regulation because of Detroit and then have less chances of making the playoffs compared to the other teams in the other divisions. Accordingly, Detroit would have an advantage over the other divisional title to get the conference title.

So in the end, yes the point totals would be even for all divisions, but it would still be an unfair system.
But then the problem you're raising with the system is mostly due to the make-up of the divisions and the number of games each team plays intra-division. Any point system would be unfair in that sense.

AD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 01:37 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
But then the problem you're raising with the system is mostly due to the make-up of the divisions and the number of games each team plays intra-division. Any point system would be unfair in that sense.
Yeah, I know, but that system would make it even worst, IMO.

And I know for sure the league wants to keep divisional rivalries. So I don't think they would implement such a system.

Old
10-08-2008, 01:48 PM
AD

Quote:
Yeah, I know, but that system would make it even worst, IMO.

And I know for sure the league wants to keep divisional rivalries. So I don't think they would implement such a system.
Then the best way is to revert back to a 2-0 winner takes all.

Old
10-08-2008, 01:51 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Then the best way is to revert back to a 2-0 winner takes all.
Then you would eliminate the tighter standings that permits some teams to battle till the end of the season for a playoff spot which makes the end of the season more exciting.

I'm not saying its best to keep it as it is, but I think the league really likes this concept. It's better for their profits and visibility.

Old
10-08-2008, 03:50 PM
Lone Rogue

Quote:
Then you would eliminate the tighter standings that permits some teams to battle till the end of the season for a playoff spot which makes the end of the season more exciting.

I'm not saying its best to keep it as it is, but I think the league really likes this concept. It's better for their profits and visibility.
Fans don't buy it.

The teams "on the cusp" for playoff spots stay disappointed because they know they are not cheering a contender.

They may not throw the towel in as early, but all it does is allows owners to lay claim to "near playoff teams". Near doesn't cut it for fans.

Let teams know exactly when to start planning for the future. If teams knew by Game 60 what was going down, it would ensure a stronger trade deadline, stronger teams in the post-season, and a more exciting Stanley Cup playoffs. It also allows under the Top 8 teams to plan their future and work on a comeback year sooner.

We all just have to look at the Maple Leafs to see a team that should have been rebuilding three years ago, but were fooled by their rankings that they were better.

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 04:26 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rogue View Post
Fans don't buy it.

The teams "on the cusp" for playoff spots stay disappointed because they know they are not cheering a contender.

They may not throw the towel in as early, but all it does is allows owners to lay claim to "near playoff teams". Near doesn't cut it for fans.

Let teams know exactly when to start planning for the future. If teams knew by Game 60 what was going down, it would ensure a stronger trade deadline, stronger teams in the post-season, and a more exciting Stanley Cup playoffs. It also allows under the Top 8 teams to plan their future and work on a comeback year sooner.

We all just have to look at the Maple Leafs to see a team that should have been rebuilding three years ago, but were fooled by their rankings that they were better.
Oh, now you're the custodian of the entire fanbase's opinion. Wow.

Attendance records at the end of the season seem to disagree with that statement, and for the league, that means profit, which is for them, the bottom line.

Oh and please don't bring the trade deadline into this. The thing that makes the GM conservative on that date is the cap.

Old
10-09-2008, 08:25 AM
neofury*

What if they just made it:

Regulation Win 3pts / 0 for loser
OT Win, 2pts / 1pt for loser
SO Win, 2pts / 1pt for loser

This way, all games are 3pts, none of this ******** some games are worth 2, others are worth 3 ****.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2008, 08:33 AM
Dripper

Remove 2 teams.
Make 4 divisions of 7 teams.
Teams play 6*6 games intradivision, 4*7 games against other division in same conference and 1 game against all the 14 other teams. 78 games total.
First 4 teams of each division make the playoffs. 1 vs 4, 2 vs 3. Just like it was 15 years ago.
Then, the point system doesn't really matters, and rivalries are at its best.

Dripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2008, 09:56 AM
AD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dripper View Post
Remove 2 teams.
Make 4 divisions of 7 teams.
Teams play 6*6 games intradivision, 4*7 games against other division in same conference and 1 game against all the 14 other teams. 78 games total.
First 4 teams of each division make the playoffs. 1 vs 4, 2 vs 3. Just like it was 15 years ago.
Then, the point system doesn't really matters, and rivalries are at its best.
I agree.. though Ideally, I wouldn't remove two teams..cuz that's just sad.

Old
10-09-2008, 11:08 AM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

I have an alternative system. IMO every game should have 2pts up for grabs. First of all get rid of the gimmicky shootout and make it a 10 minute OT. It's no way to decide a hockey game.

I like the 4 on 4 in OT. Make it 4 on 4 for the first 5 minutes. Once the play is whistled dead after the 5 minute mark, make it 3 on 3 for the remainder of the game.

As for the point system:

2 pts for a regulation win
1.5 pts for an OT win. .5 pts for an OT loss.
1 pt each for a tie.

If they really, really, really want to keep shootouts, use the same point system as for and OT win/loss.

Psycho Papa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote