HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

new rookie contracts...

Closed Thread

Old
06-29-2004, 03:56 PM
Mtl6

vCash: 500
Kastsitsyn (best prospect) Locke (dominate OHL the last 2 years)
and someone between Urquhart and Flood

Old
06-29-2004, 04:08 PM
Habs4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russian Fan
I would consider Maxim Lapierre way before Corey Locke.

Kastsitsyn, Urquhart & Lapierre.

It that was just me , Locke wouldn't be sign & could go again in the draft in 2005 or be a UFA (I didn't check his age to see which apply to him)
Locke is a bigger prospect then Lapierre in my opinon. A guy that leads the OHL in scoring for 2 straight year's needs to be signed in my books.

Old
06-29-2004, 04:25 PM
Legolas

When you read Gainey's comments, it seems he's more concerned about signing prospects so they'll have a place to play and develop next season. Specifically, with the lockout situation, it means there's fewer spots for everyone to play because all the young guys will stay in the AHL which means fewer spots for new draft picks, etc. In that context, I think it's obvious they want to sign Locke. Sending him back to the OHL would not help him at all. If there's somewhere for these guys to play, there's less need for Montreal to sign them right away.

I'm confused as to how long we keep a player's rights. I thought it was 3 years after they were drafted...

Old
06-29-2004, 05:38 PM
Habsaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs4Life
Locke is a bigger prospect then Lapierre in my opinon. A guy that leads the OHL in scoring for 2 straight year's needs to be signed in my books.
Thats simply because you probably dont know Lapierre.

Old
06-29-2004, 06:32 PM
EaGLE1

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal
I think that Lapierre and Urquhart are ahead of Locke, but I don't think they are way ahead. I do think Locke will be signed, it makes little sense to send him back to the OHL, and you can bet that there's no chance Locke will go back into the draft. If not for his skating/speed/size he would have been a 1st round pick and highly touted. He was a gamble, you can't teach the skills he has. Stats aside he has great vision, and playmaking skills. He will find the open man on the ice. I'm excited to see him in Hamilton to see what he can do. Locke in the AHL is where we will start to see what he have. If he can find success in the AHL while improving his foot speed, we got a player, if not I would still think he'd be a good asset for Hamilton, which is all part of building and maintaining the farm.

Lapierre will be back in PEI as a 19 year old, and should have a big season as the #1 center, unless Urquhart is back. I would sign Urquhart though, see if he can handle the AHL. He has the skill but I wonder how he will handle the more physical faster league.
lacks of skating/size/speed.
great vision/playmaking skills

Sounds like Mike Ribeiro.
You gotta take a chance on those highly talented guys.
(I mean, if Jim Dowd can play in NHL why not Locke??? )

Signing a guy like Locke isn't a big gamble. How do they earn in AHL? 50 000$ a year? Signing Radek Bonk at 3.5 MILLIONS US DOLLARS is a BIG GAMBLE!!!

Old
06-29-2004, 07:29 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Well his success in the OHL is just numbers. If I was a GM that's not what I would be looking for to sign a guy. Sure it could influence me but the main point is :

Do we take a chance on this guy ?
What are the odds that if we develop him, he'll be an NHLer for us in the future ?

& for those 2 questions : Maxim Lapierre & Cory Urquhart are way ahead of Corey Locke. Would I sign Locke ? Probably if I want more than 3 but if , like the original thread is we have only 2 or 3 players to sign, then it would be Urquhart & Lapierre before Locke.
Every draft choice from 1 to the last overall are a chance and a risk! You draft those players because you are taking a chance on developing them into a complete player for your future team, if after the 3 years of development he doesn't succeed you walk away. One would hate to see you draft a player and let him go back into the draft or as a UFA and he becomes a very good NHLer elsewhere...hello Martin St.Louis.

Your saying one can't be influenced because of numbers but on your signature you already have Chipchura labeled a failure with some other draft choices that didn't pan out in Montreal. Montreal is like any other team in this league, not every draft pick will make the NHL and sometimes your 1st pick is your worse pick...but it happens to every team. Your judging our top pick already when in all reality a good scout tells you it takes 2 - 3 years to know if the player you chose will be an NHLer.

How come it is easy for you to assume the success over a player better than anyone else on this board? Maybe you should call Timmins and Savard and tell them how to do their job!

To me your jumping to conclusions with out having anything to base your opinion on. Montreal drafted Locke to give him an opportunity, he is too talented not to be given a fair chance and is worth the risk of 60,000 - 75,000 per in the minors for 3 years.

Old
06-29-2004, 07:43 PM
Russian Fan

Send a message via ICQ to Russian Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS
Every draft choice from 1 to the last overall are a chance and a risk! You draft those players because you are taking a chance on developing them into a complete player for your future team, if after the 3 years of development he doesn't succeed you walk away. One would hate to see you draft a player and let him go back into the draft or as a UFA and he becomes a very good NHLer elsewhere...hello Martin St.Louis.
Well it's not me who said that but on regular head scouting interview who said that for every 9 picks you usually sign between 3 to 5 & after signing those you hope that half of them will contribute in your team someday.

Quote:
Your saying one can't be influenced because of numbers but on your signature you already have Chipchura labeled a failure with some other draft choices that didn't pan out in Montreal. Monreal is like any other team in this league, not every draft pick will make the NHL and sometimes your 1st pick is your worse pick...but it happens to every team. Your judging our top pick already when in all reality a good scout tells you it takes 2 - 3 years to know if the player you chose will be an NHLer.
I'm sorry but I don't understand what the numbers & my signature have in common. The main point of my signature is that those who got draft like Chipchura on their DRAFT DAYS, they were saying practically the same thing about them (safe pick, untapped offensive potentiel, great character, good leadership bla bla bla). Your entitle to not like my signature & it's ok. I have a right to not like the pick, I have a right to judge anyone. Funny you say that when you do probably the same over Brisebois or any other habs player you don't like.

Like I said earlier , If Chipchura turns out to be than I expect , I won't be afraid to change my signature to ''I was a chump to think Chipchura was a BUST''.

Quote:
How come it is easy for you to assume the success over a player better than anyone else on this board? Maybe you should call Timmins and Savard and tell them how to do there job!
I'm sorry but I got a little bit to answer this question for about the 10000th time but Timmins & Savard are not gods, they can make some mistake like I CAN MISJUDGE a pick but as of today, I don't like Chipchura.

What I don't like about people like yourself is that you post to everyone that have an opinion different then the mass & you try to discredit him. Just look at the poll Chipchura vs Korpikoski. Chipchura is the pick & now you got 75% saying Chipchura was the better pick & I can easily bet that if Korpikoski was picked , 75% would say that he's the pick. Just to show how much people just want to follow the mass. It's not an insult just a fact that it happen everytime.

So next time think about what you do when you criticize some other player that is not necessary a prospect , it's not any different than what I do. I don't think I'm superior than anybody but I do think I have a self decision spirit & I have my belief & I feel no one here should come to me & judge on what I think of someone.

Quote:
To me your jumping to conclusions with out having anything to base your opinion on. Montreal drafted Locke to give him an opportunity, he is too talented not to be given a fair chance and is worth the risk of 60,000 - 75,000 per in the minors for 3 years.
Maybe you're the one who are jumping to conclusions don't you think ? maybe if you read the whole thread you would see that

A) I answer the original post where it says that if it's 2 or 3 , who would it be ? & I answer that I would pick Kastsitsyn - Urquhart & Lapierre

B) That if we had more that 2 or 3 signing to do , I would sign Locke.

Next time before jumping at me , you should try to make a good read.

Have a nice evening.

Old
06-29-2004, 08:05 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
I'm sorry but I don't understand what the numbers & my signature have in common. The main point of my signature is that those who got draft like Chipchura on their DRAFT DAYS, they were saying practically the same thing about them (safe pick, untapped offensive potentiel, great character, good leadership bla bla bla). Your entitle to not like my signature & it's ok. I have a right to not like the pick, I have a right to judge anyone. Funny you say that when you do probably the same over Brisebois or any other habs player you don't like.
I have been buying The Hockey News for years and years and watching the drafts for years too and not once did I ever come across anything stating the players in your signature were safe and guaranteed players.

I find it very funny that your saying that all of those picks were considered "Safe" picks, when out of all of them the only real surprise not to be an NHLer was Bilodeau.

With Ryan he always had a knock on him for his skating, no scout or GM ever labeled him can't miss.

Vallis and Stevenson were drafted on the sole basis that management were "Hoping" they would develop into Power Forwards. Why they thought that I don't know because neither were prolific goal scorers in Junior. Stevenson didn't turn out to be a bust considering he is a good checking forward and managed to win a Cup in Jersey.

Higgins (Matt) may have been considered a potential 2nd - 3rd liner, but if you are blessed with talent which all draftees are but you fail to learn the defensive game or you are not willing to sacrafice your body you don't make it if you average.

Wilkie was a surprise pick and not ever considered "Safe" either.

I find it very funny that every pick you have labeled a bust is from the WHL, it looks to me you have a prejudice to the league or to the people from the WHL. Plus all of those picks were under Serge Savard or Reggie Houle for Higgins, this is a different scouting team and they look for different things. Savard in some was hoping the player would develop into a player that every other GM or scout out there knew he couldn't, Timmins and Savard aren't saying Chipchura will be a 1st line Centre and a Star. They are saying they may have drafted a great character centre and potential leader, that isn't a disappointment if that is what he develops into IMO. Putting a tag on a player like saying he is the next "Lafleur" or "Koivu" is a disappointment if it doesn't pan out.

Old
06-29-2004, 08:11 PM
Russian Fan

Send a message via ICQ to Russian Fan
Quote:
Timmins and Savard aren't saying Chipchura will be a 1st line Centre and a Star. They are saying they may have drafted a great character centre and potential leader, that isn't a disappointment if that is what he develops into IMO. Putting a tag on a player like saying he is the next "Lafleur" or "Koivu" is a disappointment if it doesn't pan out.
That's why it's so disappointing to me. You seems like many to be content with a guy just to reach the NHL while I have a lot of expectation when you get to pick a 1st round pick.

I don't know which poster said it but I was completely stunned when he says ''I'm very happy , it's about time that we got our big center for a 3rd line, a good plumber''. Wasn't those exact word but very close to it.

I don't think (WARNING JUST AN OPINION WARNING) we should pick a guy & be content if he reach the NHL with our 1st pick even if the % of those not making it to the NHL are a lot.

About the WHL , don't blame me if our major comes from the WHL & like I said I have nothing to do with the WHL, I like very much Andrew Ladd.

Anyway , I'm not here to convince you, I just put my signature that reflects my thoughts.

Closed Thread