HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers Tickets Price Collapse?!?

Old
10-08-2008, 02:55 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PruBlue25 View Post
As of now the 10 cent difference in the CAD won't make a huge difference. In the past the 1.40CAD/1USD and even worse numbers like 1.60/USD is what killed the Canadian franchises. If it stays around where it is now, there won't be a huge difference. Of course losing 10 cents over $100 million nets you a $10 million loss, but it's still not as bad as it once was. However, with the USD getting stronger everyday (A few months ago the Euro was around 1.70, today it's 1.36), there could be bigger effects down the road as you pointed to.
If Obama is elected it'll all be fine. But if McCain is elected.....

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 03:03 PM
vladmyir111

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by GongShowHockeyNYR View Post
If Obama is elected it'll all be fine. But if McCain is elected.....
And you know this because Obama told you so, correct?

Just checking...because there isn't a job he's held for 4 years in his adult life to back up all his claims

vladmyir111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 03:07 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladmyir111 View Post
And you know this because Obama told you so, correct?

Just checking...because there isn't a job he's held for 4 years in his adult life to back up all his claims
I think Obama's strategy on the War and the economy is better that McCain's IMO. I also don't like McCain. And Obama did tell me, he actually told the whole US of A at the presidential debate. I dont want to get this thread into a whole Political argument though.

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 03:12 PM
vladmyir111

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by GongShowHockeyNYR View Post
I think Obama's strategy on the War and the economy is better that McCain's IMO. I also don't like McCain. And Obama did tell me, he actually told the whole US of A at the presidential debate. I dont want to get this thread into a whole Political argument though.
I'm sorry I apologize, don't want the Obama Youth to come get me.

vladmyir111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 04:44 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
it definitely could be a problem, although many of the tickets were sold by the teams prior to the crisis. True there are a lot of game day tickets, etc., that may go unsold, but the bulk of their revenues come from subscriptions, luxury suites, etc. that were already paid for. Next season could be a disaster. What may also hurt the cap is the recent strengthening of the USD compared to the Candian dollar, which, I believe, contributed a fair amount to the increase in the cap. It's not inconceivable that it does down next season, and down even more the season after, both of which will be interesting scenarios.
The problem for the NHL is that they get so much of their total revenue from ticket sales, even a small drop in average attendence per game could be a big issue--especially for teams that don't regularly sell out. And the Rangers are feeling it right now: I got an email a few days ago announcing that they were selling mini-plans of high prices seats (I think they were 10 and 20 game packages). It's very possible that a number of big name accounts made sudden adjustments to their entertainment budgets.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 06:18 PM
nyrmetros

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBlue View Post
If we won cups with them, they would be better known.

Frank Boucher won 2 Stanley Cups as a player and 1 as a coach. Is he better known?

nyrmetros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 10:36 PM
allstar3970

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrmetros View Post
Frank Boucher won 2 Stanley Cups as a player and 1 as a coach. Is he better known?
good point. i think in addition to the most obvious reason of baseball being far more mainstream than hockey, the older stars of say, the yankees are more "remembered" because the yankees kept winning championships so those older players would constantly come into the spotlight more often. In addition, the Rangers (until recently) haven't done such a great job of bringing those players into the the younger fan's conscience...glad to see them doing it now.

allstar3970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2008, 07:02 AM
MiniRide

The issue isnt with the 300 and 400 sections. The corporations who had the lower levels all didn't keep them. Some went out of business.. Others just didn't take the seats. And they are so high priced that buying them through ticket master your going to spend 500 bucks just to get there.

MiniRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2008, 12:20 PM
richz22

Send a message via AIM to richz22
i have 3 October games selling at face.

2 tickets, sec 231 row A Face for the pair is $185 (includes small fee for paypal charges).

10/15 vs Buffalo
10/17 vs Toronto
10/30 vs Atlanta

i might have 10/25 vs penguins as well but not definitly. Waiting to see if i can go to that game.

richz22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2008, 12:53 PM
trueblue9441

Send a message via AIM to trueblue9441
idk if anyones seen, but i just checked ticketmaster for monday nights game, i can currently get 4 seats together in the 400's, things are not lookingg goood

trueblue9441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2008, 02:19 PM
NyRangers88
Section 208 Row 15

Send a message via AIM to NyRangers88
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniRide View Post
The issue isnt with the 300 and 400 sections. The corporations who had the lower levels all didn't keep them. Some went out of business.. Others just didn't take the seats. And they are so high priced that buying them through ticket master your going to spend 500 bucks just to get there.
Bingo. If you try to get seats in the 'affordable' sections (300 and 400) you probably wont get them. Any thing below that is so far overpriced even the upper middle class cant afford them... I mean $250.00 for center 100's? Give me a break, they are great seats yea... but you still have people walking in front of you...

10-09-2008, 05:13 PM
nyrmetros

New York Rangers vs. Chicago Blackhawks
Madison Square Garden, New York, NY
Fri, Oct 10, 2008 07:00 PM
Your Ticket(s)
Section
Row
Seats
Description
VIP 36
AA
7 - 8
Price Level 1
VIP SEATING: BETWEEN PENALTY BOXES
Type
2 Standard Admission

Ticket Price
US $1,304.50 x 2

Convenience Charge
US $39.90 x 2

Old
10-09-2008, 05:24 PM
HenriksBetter

I have single in 407 for a bunch of games listed in the ticket thread. $40 each

HenriksBetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 01:51 AM
BenedictGomez
#FireDeboer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
this economic thing makes me wonder what the cap is going to do next year...could be problematic
The Rangers arent alone on this, it looks BAD for tickets all over the league because of this financial mess. It would take a miracle I think for the cap to not go down next year.

BenedictGomez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 02:02 AM
trueblue9441

Send a message via AIM to trueblue9441
well.. a majority of the tickets that teams are going to sell are already sold and most of the corporate sponsorships are already in place, so i still think the cap will go up a little bit, but the real indicator will be next year because this country wont be out of this mess then and people will probably tighten their wallets even further..i think its a problem for all sports

trueblue9441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 08:29 AM
broadwayblue

Exactly. The true test will be next year. Most of the accounts were already renewed over the summer before the **** hit the fan. Gonna be tough to sell out the clubs next year imo.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 04:04 PM
pavvento

I can second this. I have tickets in 214 behind the goal. We're out of the city and put up the tickets for the home opener and the devils game. $90 tickets looking for $120 and they couldn't sell.

pavvento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2008, 12:15 AM
nyrmetros

Plenty of tickets available for the home opener tonight at the box office at 4:30 pm. Everything but the blueseats.

Old
10-22-2008, 10:41 PM
nyrmetros

Anyone else notice a lot of tickets available on TM this year. And anyone else notice less people at the garden...... the crowd just doesn't seem as lively as last season.....

Old
10-22-2008, 11:38 PM
danno2530

Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
I think it's a sign of the times. Combine the current economic troubles with the fact that Rangers tickets for more than one person aren't exactly cheap and you're going to have some empty seats.

Opening night was a pretty lively crowd but the Dallas game was absolutely dead. Granted it was a horribly boring game, but that was the quietest and the most bored I've been at a hockey game in quite some time.

danno2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2008, 05:51 AM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

Those corporate seats, center-ice, first 20 or so rows behind the benches have always had empty seats, even during big regular season games. I guess because they get given away to a lot of casual fans. But it is definitely more noticeable this year. More empty seats more often.

Not so much in the more reasonably priced seats. (where I sit)

If I had some extra $$, I'd go for those premium seats for a game or 2. Not going to ahppen this year.

Blueshirt Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2008, 08:03 AM
Synergy27

Quote:
Originally Posted by danno2530 View Post
I think it's a sign of the times. Combine the current economic troubles with the fact that Rangers tickets for more than one person aren't exactly cheap and you're going to have some empty seats.

Opening night was a pretty lively crowd but the Dallas game was absolutely dead. Granted it was a horribly boring game, but that was the quietest and the most bored I've been at a hockey game in quite some time.
I'm wondering how many people like me there are out there as well. I've had an 11-game subscription for the last several years, and those plans were actually a great deal in my opinion coming out of the lockout. But each year since the price has gone up, in my opinion significantly, and the perks associated with the plans has gone down. Last year I had 4 seats, and the plans were supposed to come with "playoff priority", but they only allowed me to buy 2 tickets to 1 playoff game. In other words, I couldn't even guarantee all of the guys on my plan 1 playoff game. It was fun trying to explain that one to my buddies. This year, they removed playoff priority altogether, in addition to raising the price A TON.

It was a very easy decision for me to not renew my subscription.

I'll just take advantage of the lower prices on the TE and check out a game here and there. No skin off my balls.

Synergy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2008, 09:13 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danno2530 View Post

If fans are cutting back on the number of games they go to, non-conference games are probably going to be the first to suffer. It's especially true if people are like Synergy and not renewing their seasons or mini-plans since a lot of non-conference and non-divisional games are typically packaged into those.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2008, 09:43 AM
abev
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
If fans are cutting back on the number of games they go to, non-conference games are probably going to be the first to suffer. It's especially true if people are like Synergy and not renewing their seasons or mini-plans since a lot of non-conference and non-divisional games are typically packaged into those.
I have extra tickets in the 400s that I need to sell about 20 games a season. The popular games are pretty easy to sell (Flyers/Devils/Islanders) and it's been pretty easy to get a 20% markup on those tickets.

The less popular games are extremely difficult to sell, even at face. The problem (for buyers) is that ticket sellers, at least on ticket exchange, are not responding to the lowered demand and keeping their prices somewhat high.

abev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2008, 10:40 AM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

The reason TE prics stay high is because you can usually get top $$ there, because it is most likely a less savvy buyer than you would find here for instance.

I also think that most STH's put tix up on TE with a WTF attitude: Hey, if I can get big $$ great, if not, I'll just go to the game.

I know that's been my approach. When I really want to sell games I do it here for a little above face. I put the "plum" games up for sale on TE and see what happens. Paid for playoffs and then some last year. I've gotten as much as $125.00 per seat for $52.00 face value tickets on TE. Break my heart

Of course, by March things could look a whole lot different. If we are winning big going into the playoffs and getting a respectable amount of buzz, AND the economy is doing better, demand might be high.

We shall see............

Blueshirt Special is offline   Reply With Quote