HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Keep an eye on Edmonton

Old
10-08-2008, 12:21 AM
TowMater14

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
The Ryan Smyth deal where he got a younger, more talented player who makes less then have of what Smyth does and out scored him last season, yeah Brutal.

Like Stoll and Greene for Visnovsky, that was horrendous.

Toni Salmalinen(sp) for Jaro Spacek who was playing 20+ mins a night for the Oilers on the run to the cup, again terrible.

Trading a tough to deal with head case for a scoring energy forward who had one major injury, that he came back from in the same season? Just brutal.

No one is saying that Kevin Lowe has been flawless, but sweet zombie jesus, he's been a hell of alot better then you seem to realize. He's the president of hockey Ops now, by the way, Tambellini is the GM.
I'm way behind on this thread here, but awesome!!

TowMater14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 11:56 AM
Johnny Utah

vCash: 500
Quote:
The Ryan Smyth deal where he got a younger, more talented player who makes less then have of what Smyth does and out scored him last season, yeah Brutal.

Like Stoll and Greene for Visnovsky, that was horrendous.

Toni Salmalinen(sp) for Jaro Spacek who was playing 20+ mins a night for the Oilers on the run to the cup, again terrible.

Trading a tough to deal with head case for a scoring energy forward who had one major injury, that he came back from in the same season? Just brutal.

No one is saying that Kevin Lowe has been flawless, but sweet zombie jesus, he's been a hell of alot better then you seem to realize. He's the president of hockey Ops now, by the way, Tambellini is the GM.

Finally an Oil fan admits at least that "Lowe hasn't been flawless."

I wouldn't judge the Visnosky deal just yet.....Kings are getting younger, needed cap space for future signings and make room for smaller D men like Doughty, Hickey.....So they trade Visnovsky (who I like) for a 2nd/3rd line center and a tough young stay at home D man.

Kings fans are happy, Greene is playing well with Jack Johnson and Stoll has looked good in the pre-season and both are young and combined still make less than Lubo.

Visnovsky is 31, Kings don't plan on making the playoffs this year, might as well deal him now while his value is high and before his NTC kicks in.

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 12:00 PM
thesniper99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post

I wouldn't judge the Visnosky deal just yet.....Kings are getting younger, needed cap space for future signings and make room for smaller D men like Doughty, Hickey.....So they trade Visnovsky (who I like) for a 2nd/3rd line center and a tough young stay at home D man.

Kings fans are happy, Greene is playing well with Jack Johnson and Stoll has looked good in the pre-season and both are young and combined still make less than Lubo.

Visnovsky is 31, Kings don't plan on making the playoffs this year, might as well deal him now while his value is high and before his NTC kicks in.
Since when does LA need cap room?????

thesniper99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 12:03 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Yup we've reached it

Quote:

That is a delusion right there, plain and simple.

I loved Greene and I liked Stoll, but the Kings got ripped in that deal.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 12:08 PM
Giggli G

Something will have to be done in the next two hours. Could be very unexciting, could be something interesting.

Giggli G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 12:15 PM
ranold26
Get off my rink!

ranold26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 12:20 PM
Johnny Utah

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesniper99 View Post
Since when does LA need cap room?????
Since we plan on keeping O'Sullivan, Johnson, Kopitar, Brown, Frolov, Bernier, Doughty, Hickey for the next few years and probably have to pay them all a pretty penny....Plus have room for guys like Stoll, Boyle, Moller, and be able to add UFA's.

Old
10-08-2008, 12:21 PM
Johnny Utah

Quote:
That is a delusion right there, plain and simple.

I loved Greene and I liked Stoll, but the Kings got ripped in that deal.
I think we have to wait and see about the deal. I liked Lubo, but I don't feel ripped. Stoll has played well so far as has Greene and they are both young and before they both turn 30 Lubo will be 36-37 and probably retired from the NHL.

Old
10-08-2008, 12:31 PM
copperandblue

The Vishnovsky deal was a good one for both teams. At this point I honestly can't see why either fan base would complain about it.

The Oilers and Kings are in slightly different places in terms of development. A veteran like Vishnovsky fits in nice here. In LA they aquired 2 younger players that have a decent amount of talent but unequal amounts of potential. Both are good fits for the team though.

Mind you I may be out to lunch here because I seem to be one of the few people that likes what Lombardi is doing there. It will take time but if he can stay the course the Kings will be a very very good club.

copperandblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 12:35 PM
The Big Jankowski

I dont think it's right to be labelling Torres a Snow type lover, with out hard facts to back it up. I cant believe I am sticking up for Torres?

The Big Jankowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 01:20 PM
Brian28

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dion#3 View Post
I dont think it's right to be labelling Torres a Snow type lover, with out hard facts to back it up. I cant believe I am sticking up for Torres?
Even if the persistent rumor of Torres having problems with snow are incorrect Torres himself admitted publicly he had partying issues. Last year was supposed to be his redemption year and he was more of a problem on ice and in the locker room than ever before. It's quite possible whatever problems he had were too hard for him to leave behind in Edmonton. Some players need that swift kick in the butt to turn things around and I honestly believe Torres was one of those players. I hope for his sake he turns things around with the CBJ or he could be quickly forgotten by most GM's.

Brian28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 03:07 PM
razman22

Quote:
Superstar GM? All Lombardi has done is make some bad UFA signings...I don't dislike one trade he has made....O'Sullivan, Johnson were all good deals...we didn't give up one decent young player since he has been here.

Lowe, on the other hand....where to start....The guy hasn't made one steal of a deal.

The Pronger deal, the Smyth deal, the Weight deal, the Comrie fiasco, the Roloson and Pisani contracts, now the Brule deal, trading a 24year old Pitkanen for 30 year old oft injured Cole.

I typed in Lowe and bad trades and all these articles came up. Guess I'm not the only one....

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...ld-accountable

http://lowetide.blogspot.com/2008/05...we-in-box.html
But, but Kevin Lowe is a genius. His teams made the playoffs in 3 of the 7 seasons he was the GM. That's an awesome record. What fan wouldn't be proud of those results.

razman22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 03:14 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by razman22 View Post
But, but Kevin Lowe is a genius. His teams made the playoffs in 3 of the 7 seasons he was the GM. That's an awesome record. What fan wouldn't be proud of those results.
I'm not always crazy about Lowe but you can't really hold everything against him.

Since the lockout, how many GMs have been able to retool their teams to get to game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals? When's the last time the Leafs did it? How about the Kings? The Canucks? The Islanders? The Sharks? The Caps? The Blackhawks? Lets face it there are a lot of teams that haven't gone that far in 10-25+ years.

Lets be honest too, if it wasn't for Chris Pronger's wife, which is really a wild card situation that no GM has serious control over, the Oilers likely would've made the playoffs every year since the lockout. Also to his credit Lowe has rebuilt that team almost from scratch in a span of two years, whereas teams like the Kings and Blackhawks have needed like 8-10 years to get their act together.

Lowe has made several steals, the additions of Roloson, Spacek, and Samsonov at the deadline in 2006 took that team to the SCF. Getting Pronger in the first place for Brewer + peanuts was a steal. Grabbing Garon was a steal. A 23-year-old Robert Nilsson at $1.5 million is a steal versus a 32-year-old Ryan Smyth at $6.25 million.

Lowe has made mistakes though, mostly notably dealing Pronger to the Ducks rather than waiting out the situation, but lets face it, anytime you're forced at gun point into a situation like that, usually its a 50-50 chance at best that it'll work out.

But Tambellini being GM and Lowe being head of hockey ops I think is good overall for the Oilers. I think Tambellini can balance out some of Lowe's flaws and provide a broader perspective.

Last edited by Soundwave: 10-08-2008 at 03:20 PM.
Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote