HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: "VRoooom" Bye Bye, no F1 in Montreal for 2009

Old
10-08-2008, 08:28 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean View Post
Malaysia, or any other asian market that has about a 50 % poverty rate, can have its races.

Montreal is not a major sports city. It has become a bottom dweller in international sports. It's Habs country and nothing else. Montreal cannot afford any major sporting infrastructure (case and point the soccer field, which was built by private funds). It lost its baseball team, it hosts a second tier football circuit, and a second tier soccer circuit. Now, the only international sporting event in the city is the Rogers Cup. Which, in reality, is nothing more than a satellite tournament.

Montreal nas not evolved. It doesn't take a genious to see that the Ile Notre-Dame infrastructures were mediocre at best compared to all the new circuits. It needs some revamping, major revamping, but nobody wants to invest.

People should stop complaining and realize that the city is not the glorious hip town it used to be. I don't live there anymore and everytime I come back to the downtown area, my birthplace looks like it still lives in the 80's. Crescent was solid in the 80's. It's not anymore. It never evolved in any way. Montreal is in shambles. Face it. It will even lose its title of festival capital of Canada, losing the Just for Laughs festival to Toronto (the english side of it), and on the verge of losing its Festival de Jazz (well, Montreal won't lose it, but TÚronto has the intention of having an even bigger one in the next 2 summers).
I think you are mostly full of crap. Yes there are some issues with some of the infrastructure but donwtown montreal is still vibrant and a great place to have a party.

Who said Montreal lost the english side of just for laughs?

Quote:
The Toronto spinoff is meant to be a natural extension from the original event in Montreal, Just For Laughs COO Bruce Hills told CBC Arts Online in January, when the new festival was seeking final approval from local sponsors, participants and partners.

"We feel very strongly that we can create two festivals with unique positions that will be a complement and not lead to any concerns from Montrealers that we would take the English portion of our event and move it to another city."
This is just a Montreal company expanding its business.

So Toronto wants a Jazz fest...it will just be up to Montreal to continue to make theirs grow.

beowulf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 09:48 AM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean View Post
Malaysia, or any other asian market that has about a 50 % poverty rate, can have its races.

Montreal is not a major sports city. It has become a bottom dweller in international sports. It's Habs country and nothing else. Montreal cannot afford any major sporting infrastructure (case and point the soccer field, which was built by private funds). It lost its baseball team, it hosts a second tier football circuit, and a second tier soccer circuit. Now, the only international sporting event in the city is the Rogers Cup. Which, in reality, is nothing more than a satellite tournament.

Montreal nas not evolved. It doesn't take a genious to see that the Ile Notre-Dame infrastructures were mediocre at best compared to all the new circuits. It needs some revamping, major revamping, but nobody wants to invest.

People should stop complaining and realize that the city is not the glorious hip town it used to be. I don't live there anymore and everytime I come back to the downtown area, my birthplace looks like it still lives in the 80's. Crescent was solid in the 80's. It's not anymore. It never evolved in any way. Montreal is in shambles. Face it. It will even lose its title of festival capital of Canada, losing the Just for Laughs festival to Toronto (the english side of it), and on the verge of losing its Festival de Jazz (well, Montreal won't lose it, but TÚronto has the intention of having an even bigger one in the next 2 summers).
dude...the Montreal Grand Prix is one of the most successful, best and a favorite of fans, racers and constructors. Please stop talking out of your ass.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 09:51 AM
Badger Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by the finnish flash View Post
That sucks. I used to be a big Formula 1 fan and the Canadian Grand Prix was always one of my favorite races. Who can forget moments like Jean Alesi winning his only race in a #27 Ferrari
It was a great moment, but the tifosi acted like idiots. They stormed the track when cars were still on the circuit. Stricter security after with costs passed on to the ticket holders.

Mixed feelings about this situation. The first reaction is extreme disappointment, because of all the great memories over the years. Early June really is the best time of year in Montreal. The city always supported it fully, and you could really feel the anticipation building. The organzers had usually run a professional operation, and were willing to listen to suggestions for improvement (they even use a couple of my ideas!). Plus, there was always so many other things to do over the weekend.

On the downside, a lot of new fans didn't know how to behave. They never even paid attention to the sport until Jacques Villeneuve (shows how far someone can go just on the name) came along. Massive price gouging on the hotel rates resulted with packing too much around the course at Illes Notre-Dame.

The FIA is using the "squabble" excuse to squeeze in the oil money as a replacement. With the cost reduction directive from the top, there's a lot savings from not having to shuttle the cars, drivers, personnel and equipment for only one North American event. After Indy, where they were itching to go to, was dropped, it should've been obvious that Montreal wasn't secure either. If it's not back on for 2010, there's a clear indication that F1 isn't serious about NA.

Badger Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 10:42 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger Bob View Post
It was a great moment, but the tifosi acted like idiots. They stormed the track when cars were still on the circuit. Stricter security after with costs passed on to the ticket holders.

Mixed feelings about this situation. The first reaction is extreme disappointment, because of all the great memories over the years. Early June really is the best time of year in Montreal. The city always supported it fully, and you could really feel the anticipation building. The organzers had usually run a professional operation, and were willing to listen to suggestions for improvement (they even use a couple of my ideas!). Plus, there was always so many other things to do over the weekend.

On the downside, a lot of new fans didn't know how to behave. They never even paid attention to the sport until Jacques Villeneuve (shows how far someone can go just on the name) came along. Massive price gouging on the hotel rates resulted with packing too much around the course at Illes Notre-Dame.

The FIA is using the "squabble" excuse to squeeze in the oil money as a replacement. With the cost reduction directive from the top, there's a lot savings from not having to shuttle the cars, drivers, personnel and equipment for only one North American event. After Indy, where they were itching to go to, was dropped, it should've been obvious that Montreal wasn't secure either. If it's not back on for 2010, there's a clear indication that F1 isn't serious about NA.
Yeah, but Indy was their big mistake. They didn't handle that well. If they truly wanted to make sure it would work out, they would've tested the track extensively, amde sure adjustements were made that wouldn't have led to that debacle.

So, we are paying for their own mistakes made there. Why not just find another NA venue. I know the economy isn't great, still, Vancouver might've hosted an event, or another similar city.

To me, it's a total lack of respect to a city that has been more than faithful and loyal to F1 racing for more than 30 years. I know the bottom line is money, still, the way they did it is just plain wrong.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 01:51 PM
dre2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
dude...the Montreal Grand Prix is one of the most successful, best and a favorite of fans, racers and constructors. Please stop talking out of your ass.
That's a load of crap. Everyone, drivers, owners and fans, say the same thing for every circuit.

dre2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 02:48 PM
Badger Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Yeah, but Indy was their big mistake. They didn't handle that well. If they truly wanted to make sure it would work out, they would've tested the track extensively, amde sure adjustements were made that wouldn't have led to that debacle.
The year that there were only 6 entrants at Indy was the fault of the tire manufacturers more than IMS.

Quote:
So, we are paying for their own mistakes made there. Why not just find another NA venue. I know the economy isn't great, still, Vancouver might've hosted an event, or another similar city.
No way was there going to be a second GP in Canada. Other parts of the US were considered desirable (Vegas, NY) but we'll know soon enough if F1 is prepared to abandon NA. We can't forget that Mexico City also lost out quite a while ago.

Quote:
To me, it's a total lack of respect to a city that has been more than faithful and loyal to F1 racing for more than 30 years. I know the bottom line is money, still, the way they did it is just plain wrong.
Silverstone is the home of British motorsport. Bernie has even said that it's not written in stone that their GP date is secure. If somebody waves more cash, that holds more sway than sentiment.

Actually, it's not completely true that all of Montreal was faithful and loyal. My first visit was in '89, and only missed twice since then. So, that sort of qualifies me to judge the changes that took place over the years. It used to be possible to order gold grandstand tickets in May. The event had plenty of elbow room, everybody around was knowledgeable & friendly (mostly true, until idiots flocked, who stand up everytime the cars blew by) and they used to include the Atlantic races. Sure, curiosity brought out plenty of locals b/t the eras of Gilles & Jacques, but a large segment of ticketholders came from others parts of Canada, the States, Europe, Japan and So. America.

Old
10-08-2008, 02:51 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by CdHC View Post
That's a load of crap. Everyone, drivers, owners and fans, say the same thing for every circuit.
Wrong. Just go visit a few F1 forums and check out the topics about the Montreal Grand Prix cancelation....then try to come back here and say the same uninformed thing.

Old
10-08-2008, 03:45 PM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

Quote:
Wrong. Just go visit a few F1 forums and check out the topics about the Montreal Grand Prix cancelation....then try to come back here and say the same uninformed thing.
what are the best F1 forums... I never found a good one.

ChemiseBleuHonnete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 03:48 PM
AD

The press conference is on now:

1- Ecclestone's demands are astronomical

2- GP of Montreal is a private business that can't go on with F1 demands

3- Ministers from the PLQ and the Federal Conservatives have talked to Ecclestone

4- No chance for Normand Legault and GPF1 of Canada to continue with this business.. good luck to the government.

AD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 03:53 PM
Judge Sauer*

CBC has a story on it right now.

Quote:
While Ecclestone refused to go into detail, he told Bloomberg News on Wednesday that a technical issue involving Montreal's contract led to the decision to pull the plug on the popular event for next season.
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/story/2008/...x-dropped.html

Judge Sauer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 05:03 PM
PaulPosition

Quote:
Originally Posted by franchise player View Post
The old AtlasF1, now Autosport-atlas, would be the prescription...
forums.autosport.com

PaulPosition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 05:04 PM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by AD View Post
The press conference is on now:
1- Ecclestone's demands are astronomical

2- GP of Montreal is a private business that can't go on with F1 demands

3- Ministers from the PLQ and the Federal Conservatives have talked to Ecclestone

4- No chance for Normand Legault and GPF1 of Canada to continue with this business.. good luck to the government.
Meh... Tickets price were already insane, where would they get that extra 20M ?

Team_Spirit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 05:17 PM
AD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team_Spirit View Post
Meh... Tickets price were already insane, where would they get that extra 20M ?
Paul Wilson said that to be viable, the GP would need to double or triple ticket prices next year, and Normand Legault was not ready to do that.

AD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 06:03 PM
Bumjoo Wang*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CdHC View Post
No it isn't. Apart from the fact that they have to move the whole teams across the Atlantic just for one race, Canadian Grand Prix has been everyones favorite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by franchise player View Post
Not sure if I'm allowed to advertise it, but I'm not getting anything out of it, so why not.. This is a pretty good one.

Bumjoo Wang* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 06:44 PM
Uber Coca

Quote:
It's not talking out of an ass to say the truth. Montreal is always a step behind. When the Autoroute Ville-Marie is your youngest road, you know something's wrong.

Uber Coca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 07:28 PM
Rickkins

***** 'em.
Bring Champ Car to Montreal and never ever allow those snobs(F1) back in.

Rickkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 08:01 PM
PaulPosition

Champcar is dead, man.

There's he irl but they're still way too oval-centric.

Old
10-08-2008, 08:06 PM
Beakermania*

Nascar does some road races.... bring them in.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 09:05 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
They dont bring the same kind of rich tourists who spend a ******** of money in the city. Not to mention the chicks.

Old
10-08-2008, 09:11 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
They dont bring the same kind of rich tourists who spend a ******** of money in the city. Not to mention the chicks.
They also don't charge what F1 is asking for.....

Its not the ideal solution... but neither is paying the ransom that Eccelstone wants.

NASCAR is definetely bigger than IRL and as much as I'm not a fan, I do think you will draw from all over Quebec and Eastern Ontario as well as the US for a race in montreal.

It sucks what Eccelstone is doing... but if there is no chance of getting them back for 2009, do we sit on our hands and do nothing??

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 11:07 PM
znk

Quote:
They also don't charge what F1 is asking for.....

Its not the ideal solution... but neither is paying the ransom that Eccelstone wants.

NASCAR is definetely bigger than IRL and as much as I'm not a fan, I do think you will draw from all over Quebec and Eastern Ontario as well as the US for a race in montreal.

It sucks what Eccelstone is doing... but if there is no chance of getting them back for 2009, do we sit on our hands and do nothing??
obviously something is better then nothing. But dont be surprised if goverments and the city are ready to help the promoters.

The promoters cant go in there losing money that's obvious. But the city stands to lose tons of money (Hotels, restaurants, bars and boutiques mainly) these tourists spend without counting. They give huge tips. There is also the number of people talking about Montreal arround the world during that weekend.

Old
10-08-2008, 11:44 PM
Judge Sauer*

GT races anyone?

Judge Sauer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2008, 01:21 AM
PaulPosition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge Sauer View Post
GT races anyone?
24 hours of Montrťal? That would drive the Longueuil-ois crazy

Old
10-09-2008, 05:09 AM
Bumjoo Wang*

Quote:
I'm pretty sure they have a plan to do so, didn't they already have a race there in July, or was is their version of AHL?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulPosition View Post
24 hours of Montrťal? That would drive the Longueuil-ois crazy
That could become an instant classic, I think..

Bumjoo Wang* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2008, 07:21 AM
Badger Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickkins View Post
***** 'em.
Bring Champ Car to Montreal and never ever allow those snobs(F1) back in.
They did that for a while, but once Molson pulled sponsorship, that spelled doom.

Group C was there was too.