HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Francois Gagnon on Team 990 this morning

Old
10-09-2008, 08:50 AM
JTWymanFan*

vCash: 500
Francois Gagnon on Team 990 this morning

I am not normally a big fan of his but this morning he said something that i personally have been thinking since last year. " Maxime Lapierre must bring his game to the next level if he wishes to be a full time NHL'r "

I am not bashing Lappy here but i too believe he will have to show his boss's that he is going to step his game up, because IMO he will be replaced by Chipper.

JTWymanFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2008, 08:59 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Future is Now

Awards:
What "next level"? Lapierre's a career grinder/pest and should probably never see anything above third line minutes. I'm not a huge fan of his but what else are we to expect from him?

hototogisu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2008, 09:01 AM
JTWymanFan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
What "next level"? Lapierre's a career grinder/pest and should probably never see anything above third line minutes. I'm not a huge fan of his but what else are we to expect from him?
Maybe drop the gloves to earn some respect from his OWN teammates once and a while.

Old
10-09-2008, 09:02 AM
otto bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by CabbageLegs View Post
Maybe drop the gloves to earn some respect from his OWN teammates once and a while.
I was thinking about his passing!

otto bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2008, 09:03 AM
Boulette Cannon

Quote:
Hahaha, there's a reason why he doesn't drop the gloves. HE CAN'T FIGHT. He looks like this when he fights:
http://bp1.blogger.com/_XBvFfrA1jjU/...leprechaun.JPG

Boulette Cannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2008, 09:03 AM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by otto bond View Post
That's actually the first thing I thought of when I read this.

10-09-2008, 09:04 AM
JTWymanFan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by otto bond View Post
Great point, his peewee puck hogging tactics.

Old
10-09-2008, 09:07 AM
Judge Sauer*

I was thinking of him giving the Ruutuu yappy hand to the opposing bench.....greatest pest move in my books since I saw him do it.
Seriously, if Laraque does it to the Bruins bench while skating by, I will die laughing.

Judge Sauer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2008, 09:07 AM
Mustafa*

The problem with the CH is that so many years of being mediocre, so many years of realy bad radio host and CH coverage, plus the bitter No-Dicks former fans now Ch fans, have built a culture of complaining and "auto-flagélation" were people have been used to talk **** about their team, and making up stories about the relation between the players in locker room. Now, even thought the team is doing well, that we have a classy organization and everyone know his role, people continue to say things like :

Quote:
Things that are uncall for and have no link of any sort.

Sorry for being so rude.

Mustafa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2008, 09:08 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Future is Now

Awards:
Quote:
Meh, he's fought before and besides, that isn't even his job.

Obviously I'd like to see Lapierre pass more and he could stand to improve at shotblocking but why do I get the impression some people (not necessarily you, OP) expect Lapierre to put up a 30 goal year?

hototogisu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2008, 09:12 AM
Turbo

My main issue with Lapierre is his intensity. He sometimes looks like he's floating out there. He needs to consistently play hard and use his main asset - his speed - to pressure the opposition and grind. No need to fight, that's not his role. He needs to be a pest. All the time.

Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2008, 09:13 AM
JTWymanFan*

OK so maybe the dropping of the gloves aspect is pushing it a bit far, i just repeated what the media has said about him, mainly the english media sector.

Old
10-09-2008, 09:15 AM
JTWymanFan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustafa View Post
The problem with the CH is that so many years of being mediocre, so many years of realy bad radio host and CH coverage, plus the bitter No-Dicks former fans now Ch fans, have built a culture of complaining and "auto-flagélation" were people have been used to talk **** about their team, and making up stories about the relation between the players in locker room. Now, even thought the team is doing well, that we have a classy organization and everyone know his role, people continue to say things like :

Things that are uncall for and have no link of any sort.

Sorry for being so rude.
Huh ?

Old
10-09-2008, 09:17 AM
Newhabfan

My issue is with Fraçois Gagnon who declared himself a die hard Senators fan

BTW - Maybe we should have a dedicated thread on "things we heard on the sports radio" and join all these there? (so that people who don't like this kind of stuff can ignore them easier ) A mod could move those threads there (including the one I started yesterday )

Newhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2008, 09:18 AM
otto bond

Quote:

Obviously I'd like to see Lapierre pass more and he could stand to improve at shotblocking but why do I get the impression some people (not necessarily you, OP) expect Lapierre to put up a 30 goal year?
Wow that's a strech..30 , wow. Myself, I see Lappy being that pest, using his speed to win race to pucks, being physical and chiping in at time to time. Maybe 10 goals.
He should defenitly learn how to kill penalties also. Some say the wing would be better for him and I think he can be that 4th center. What about Chipper? He has to take his place at center or go down to the ahl in the mean time. If Lappy keeps hoggin the puck, I see Chipper take his spot and if Lappy can't adjust to the wing, the press box will be waiting.

otto bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2008, 09:18 AM
Turbo

Quote:
OK so maybe the dropping of the gloves aspect is pushing it a bit far, i just repeated what the media has said about him, mainly the english media sector.
Dropping the gloves once in a while when the situation arises is good for a player like him too... Begin & Kosto do it. Komi does too. Heck the Kostitsyns do it. But I don't think that's why some might think he's on the cusp and still needs to earn his spot - in my opinion, it's the lack of intensity. For a guy that's supposed to be a pest, he's too often invisible.

Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2008, 09:20 AM
JTWymanFan*

Quote:

Goodness no, i don't expect him to score more then 10, but i do expect him to open up his hockey vision a little more, he seems to panic when he has the puck and as in peewee hockey mode and will just shoot the puck from anywhere in the offensive zone, rather than passing to his open wingers.

Old
10-09-2008, 09:24 AM
Mats NAslund

vCash: 50
Lapierre is not a C, he should be playing the wing. He doesn't have the vision or hockey sense to play C. He's not a good passer and doesn't know how to slow the play down to allow his teammates to get into position. He's no more then a 4th line winger. To expect anything more from Lapierre is ridiculous. Once Montreal moves or don't re sign guys like Kostopoulos Begin and Dandenault, Lapierre will be able to shift over to the wing on a 4th line.

Mats NAslund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2008, 09:39 AM
znk

Quote:
Steve Begin

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2008, 09:42 AM
Chazz

Francois Gagnon is a good guy, but i have trouble taking him seriously.....his nickname should be 'CAPTAIN OBVIOUS" for always stating the obvious

Chazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2008, 09:45 AM
habfan4

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
Steve Begin
So you want Lapierre to start taking penalties at inopportune times?

habfan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2008, 09:46 AM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats NAslund View Post
Lapierre is not a C, he should be playing the wing. He doesn't have the vision or hockey sense to play C. He's not a good passer and doesn't know how to slow the play down to allow his teammates to get into position. He's no more then a 4th line winger. To expect anything more from Lapierre is ridiculous. Once Montreal moves or don't re sign guys like Kostopoulos Begin and Dandenault, Lapierre will be able to shift over to the wing on a 4th line.
Until the Habs acquire someone who can win faceoffs, Lapierre will be right where he is (and Chipchura will be right where he is).

10-09-2008, 09:54 AM
Chazz

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfan4 View Post
So you want Lapierre to start taking penalties at inopportune times?
+1 ouch

Chazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2008, 09:57 AM
airlouche

Quote:

Exactly what i think!

airlouche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2008, 10:03 AM
habfan4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazz View Post
+1 ouch
To be honest, I was just going for laughs with that comment.

I'm not worried about guys like Begin and/or Lapierre "taking it to the next level" their role on the team is not rocket science. All they need to do is play smart defence, get in the opposition's faces and finish their checks.

habfan4 is offline   Reply With Quote