HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Who will play the point on the PP?

Old
10-08-2008, 05:52 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
you merged this... you are too fast for me.
lol..I had a good teacher.

Edit: lol..nice.

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 10-08-2008 at 05:58 PM.
Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 06:06 PM
Beaker
In My Lab Goggles

Markovs shot is very precise and accurate, not to mention stronger than any other of our d-mens. + him and Tangs can switch it up while on the ice to cause even more havoc out there, open up different plays. They wont disappoint.

Beaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 06:11 PM
jcpenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoMarkov79 View Post
I'm not sure if I like that. Markov is more comfortable as the passer and he's always looking for Kovalev or another defenseman to shoot the puck. We'll see!
I think you will change your mind very quickly about this. Prepare to meet Markov's blistering one-timer, something we havent had the chance to see too often these past years. We NEED a good shooter on the right side to have an effective PP like we've had the past 2 years. Tanguay should be a perfect replacement for Markov anyways as he likes to pass more than shoot himself.

jcpenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 06:15 PM
Ross MacLochness

I'd love to ask Carbo or Jarvis why Koivu always gets 5-on-3 time instead of Plekanec. I'm the furthest thing from a Koivu basher but I think it's pretty clear who is the better player at this point, not to mention Plekanec has better chemistry with Kovalev.

As for the topic, I think it will work because Tanguay is an amazing passer on his own and Markov probably has the best one-timer on the team. It's a pretty natural solution.

Ross MacLochness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 06:26 PM
TheCH*

Markov have got a great shot, but i find he rarely can get it through the traffic.

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 06:42 PM
jcpenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCH View Post
Markov have got a great shot, but i find he rarely can get it through the traffic.
Its easier to block it when it comes from a left handed shot from his left side.

jcpenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 07:31 PM
shamrun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross MacLochness View Post
I'd love to ask Carbo or Jarvis why Koivu always gets 5-on-3 time instead of Plekanec. I'm the furthest thing from a Koivu basher but I think it's pretty clear who is the better player at this point, not to mention Plekanec has better chemistry with Kovalev.

As for the topic, I think it will work because Tanguay is an amazing passer on his own and Markov probably has the best one-timer on the team. It's a pretty natural solution.
Probably has to do with the fact that koivu is our best faceoff man and that is ever so important with the man advantage.

I think its a good i dea putting markov on the point. It might throw off some teams if tangauy can make the nice plays to kovalev. Also keeping in mind, if andrei kostitsyn can send it back to the point to markov, we can have a lot of threats coming from a few areas.

shamrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 07:55 PM
Fozz

Call me crazy but I'd love to see Andrei Kostitsyn get a shot at playing the point and have Markov feed him perfect passes for one timers. AK clearly has one of the best shots on the team and I think he'd score a bunch from there. Plus, he has the speed to backcheck if a mistake is made.

Fozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 08:57 PM
Prospector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozz View Post
Call me crazy but I'd love to see Andrei Kostitsyn get a shot at playing the point and have Markov feed him perfect passes for one timers. AK clearly has one of the best shots on the team and I think he'd score a bunch from there. Plus, he has the speed to backcheck if a mistake is made.
I agree. We should at least try him. He's got the best shot on the team. (with Kovy)

Prospector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 09:11 PM
znk

I'm not convinced about moving Markov to the right point. He had a nack for finding Kovy in the cross ice passes and for driving the net at the right times. I feel that that tandem of Kovy and Markov is the key to our PP. I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 09:42 PM
benji
Took too much, man.

Send a message via MSN to benji
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prospector View Post
I agree. We should at least try him. He's got the best shot on the team. (with Kovy)
I also agree. I can imagine him looking Kovalchuk-like as they have similar qualities.

benji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 10:22 PM
dcyhabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by benji View Post
I also agree. I can imagine him looking Kovalchuk-like as they have similar qualities.
Last comment from the team was Tanguay was going to play the point...

edit: OK I should have read the last page before posting. I'm way behind...

dcyhabs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2008, 07:21 AM
mcphee

Quote:

I think there's a few reasons. Koivu's best play on th epower play is getting the puck low on the right side and making a quick decision whether to take it to the net to shoot or stuff it or go cross crease. His hands are good enough to pass after he makes the initial move, hence the need for the rh shot.

Plekanec and S.Kost. to a degree may be stronger,faster, but they don't have the calm as of yet to forced the d to move as well as Koivu does. Watch how they remain stationary in that situation, while Koivu forces movement.

Open ice 5 on 5, PLekanec does a lot of things Koivu can no longer do,imo, but Koivu's well tailored to that situation.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2008, 07:49 AM
JaymzB

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
I think there's a few reasons. Koivu's best play on th epower play is getting the puck low on the right side and making a quick decision whether to take it to the net to shoot or stuff it or go cross crease. His hands are good enough to pass after he makes the initial move, hence the need for the rh shot.

Plekanec and S.Kost. to a degree may be stronger,faster, but they don't have the calm as of yet to forced the d to move as well as Koivu does. Watch how they remain stationary in that situation, while Koivu forces movement.

Open ice 5 on 5, PLekanec does a lot of things Koivu can no longer do,imo, but Koivu's well tailored to that situation.
Koivu is easily our most dangerous player in close to the net. Not only with the situation you mentioned above, but he also is very adept at getting to rebounds around the net. While he certainly isn’t our biggest or strongest forward, his ability to use his body position to retrieve rebounds makes him our best suited forward to stand in front of the net on the PP. That, coupled with his face-off ability makes him a no-brainer for the 5 on 3 situations.

JaymzB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2008, 08:13 AM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozz View Post
Andrei has to stay where he is on the pp, In time he has learned to play a more power game, in front of the net he is just not movable, his natural strengh and balance still surprises me, witch makes him alot more versatile up front, because he's also has a top notch wirster, very smooth hands and he's one of our best passers, so as long as he plays on the left side, he gives Kovalev alot of options.

I really like who's playing on the point with only 2 things that scare me on the 1st wave and and a 1 problem on the 2nd wave

Does Tanguay have the abillitys to give the puck to Markov like Markov has done with Souray and Streit? and will he jump in front of the net too often causing turnovers?

Why the hell did Carbonneau switch Hamrlik with S.Kost when Brisebois will be watching most of the games from the pressbox, imo they should concentrate on finding chemistry beetween Hammer-S.Kost instead of Brisebois-S.Kost. Hamrlik has a cannon from the point that he will need to use more often this year

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2008, 10:22 AM
Teufelsdreck

They've decided that the lesser Kostitsyn won't be the point man whenever Brisebois is dressed. What hasn't been answered is who will play that position when Brisebois isn't in the lineup.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2008, 10:50 AM
TheGoalJudge

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
I'm not convinced about moving Markov to the right point. He had a nack for finding Kovy in the cross ice passes and for driving the net at the right times. I feel that that tandem of Kovy and Markov is the key to our PP. I guess I'll just have to wait and see.
This is it right here. Our puck movement is so good because Markov and Kovalev are on opposite sides and they're our best PP puck movers. If you have them on the same side they can't work properly.

TheGoalJudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2008, 11:11 AM
HamrlikTheStud*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoalJudge View Post
This is it right here. Our puck movement is so good because Markov and Kovalev are on opposite sides and they're our best PP puck movers. If you have them on the same side they can't work properly.
Kovalev is playing on the left side this year.

HamrlikTheStud* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2008, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamrlikTheStud View Post
Kovalev is playing on the left side this year.
I don't think it really matters where players are lining up...players always change on the fly anyways, situations often dictate positions on the ice

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2008, 11:56 AM
Ross MacLochness

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaymzB View Post
Koivu is easily our most dangerous player in close to the net. Not only with the situation you mentioned above, but he also is very adept at getting to rebounds around the net. While he certainly isn’t our biggest or strongest forward, his ability to use his body position to retrieve rebounds makes him our best suited forward to stand in front of the net on the PP. That, coupled with his face-off ability makes him a no-brainer for the 5 on 3 situations.
Nah I'm just not seeing it. Plekanec has better hands these days, is a better goal scorer and less prone to big giveaways than to Koivu. If Plekanec and Kovalev are amazing together on the PK, amazing together 5-on-5, amazing together 5-on-4, I just don't see how they wouldn't be 5-on-3.

As for faceoffs, well on the power plays last year Plekanec won 54% of his faceoffs. Koivu won 49%.

Ross MacLochness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2008, 12:38 PM
Roulin

Quote:
Nah I'm just not seeing it. Plekanec has better hands these days, is a better goal scorer and less prone to big giveaways than to Koivu. If Plekanec and Kovalev are amazing together on the PK, amazing together 5-on-5, amazing together 5-on-4, I just don't see how they wouldn't be 5-on-3.

As for faceoffs, well on the power plays last year Plekanec won 54% of his faceoffs. Koivu won 49%.
That's a funny stat, Koivu being great on even strength faceoffs, but losing more than he wins on special teams.

As far as this argument - Koivu (5.66pts/60) outproduced Plekanec (5.47pts/60) on the PP this past season, albeit by a small margin. I know I feel more comfortable when Koivu has the puck on a 5 on 3 than Plek, he's just the kind of player that makes the right play. There's also the typical coach's bias towards veterans, when everything else is close to equal.

Roulin is online now   Reply With Quote