HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: "VRoooom" Bye Bye, no F1 in Montreal for 2009

Old
10-09-2008, 08:06 AM
bigred50

vCash: 50
I always loved the look of those Group C cars... too bad the series fizzled out.

bigred50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2008, 11:50 AM
RC51

vCash: 500
Ok some interesting news now.

It seems the car manufactures were NOT consulted about dropping Montreal as an F1 race. Ecclestone must have done this on his own.
Now BMW and others are concerned of a North American backlash against the car companies with the result of slower sales. The drivers want Montreal back in and the car companies want Mtl back in.
Legault is out for sure, he wants nothing to do with it now, it's all too rich for his blood anyway now.
Government might get involved but it will want control and a few high penilty clauses against Eccelestone if he tries this stuff again.

RC51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2008, 01:49 PM
PaulPosition

Lol...

Legault? When will Monteal journals expose him for what he is instead of alluding to it under a thin veil of Oh-but-he-is-hot ?

Legault's Bernie Ecclestone henchmen. While Montreal's Champcar race was abandonned for lack of publicity, while the tarmac deteriorated to the extent we saw last two summers, while the infrastructures were rapidly becoming obsolete, mr. Legault was building tracks in Singapore, Abu Dabhi, Shangai as a special consultant for Bernie's holdings and for new promoters.

What the ******* does he care about Montreal?

PaulPosition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2008, 02:25 PM
Clumsyhab

After today's press conference, I don't think we'll lose it

Clumsyhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2008, 02:35 PM
mcphee

I know nothing of motor sports, from Nascar to F1, I have no interest. So, I'm no authority here, but I'm getting that feeling I had during the last 5 years of the Expos.

You want to keep your team, but to stay in the water, you have to swim the absolute scum that is MLB.

Is F1 any different ?

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2008, 02:40 PM
AD

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulPosition View Post
Lol...

Legault? When will Monteal journals expose him for what he is instead of alluding to it under a thin veil of Oh-but-he-is-hot ?

Legault's Bernie Ecclestone henchmen. While Montreal's Champcar race was abandonned for lack of publicity, while the tarmac deteriorated to the extent we saw last two summers, while the infrastructures were rapidly becoming obsolete, mr. Legault was building tracks in Singapore, Abu Dabhi, Shangai as a special consultant for Bernie's holdings and for new promoters.

What the ******* does he care about Montreal?

You should take that back.

I know Normand Legault personally and have known him for several years. Not only is he none of what you just said.. but he is a fine gentleman and an all around nice guy.

He also cares deeply about Montreal and is on several boards and of several causes to enrich montreal in the face of the world. Where the hell do you have your information from?

AD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2008, 02:41 PM
Badger Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
I know nothing of motor sports, from Nascar to F1, I have no interest. So, I'm no authority here, but I'm getting that feeling I had during the last 5 years of the Expos.

You want to keep your team, but to stay in the water, you have to swim the absolute scum that is MLB.

Is F1 any different ?
F1 used to race in Mt. Tremblant and Watkins Glen. Increased demands for Grands Prix around the world means that costs of doing business goes up.

Check this letter out:

http://www.canada.com/montrealgazett...b-a50c63a1bd50

Quote:
It's also time that we started caring more about the poor and the homeless in Montreal than the loss of a car race.
How many of the panhandlers on Rue Ste. Catherine are really homeless? Some of them bring these extremely well-groomed dogs, who are obviously well-fed. Seems awfully suscpicious.

Badger Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2008, 02:59 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger Bob View Post
F1 used to race in Mt. Tremblant and Watkins Glen. Increased demands for Grands Prix around the world means that costs of doing business goes up.

Check this letter out:

How many of the panhandlers on Rue Ste. Catherine are really homeless? Some of them bring these extremely well-groomed dogs, who are obviously well-fed. Seems awfully suscpicious.
My point is that from all accounts , the hierarchy of F1 seems to be of dubious integrity much as I view MLB.

I also know that there are specific pan handlers on Ste. Catherine that view it as their job, but I don't know how this relates to my opinion that every time I hear of the Ecclestone's and co., something seems to smell bad.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2008, 04:27 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger Bob View Post

Check this letter out:

I would put it this way.
My neighbor has a party each year and each year his party puts $2000 in my pockets.
Out of that $2000 I give $500 to charity.

On year he says he cancels his party because he's short $300.
I think I'd have to be a god damn idiot if I dint offer to pay the $300.
Then I can give $200 to charity...it's less but still more then $0.
On

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2008, 05:20 PM
1UP

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD View Post

I know Normand Legault personally and have known him for several years. Not only is he none of what you just said.. but he is a fine gentleman and an all around nice guy.

He also cares deeply about Montreal and is on several boards and of several causes to enrich montreal in the face of the world. Where the hell do you have your information from?
Well, you ever wondered where people get their information when they say Koivu doesn't care about Montréal, or so-and-so doesn't like french canadians?

It's by completely misjudging what happened in a situation or event they do not understand at all and have very incomplete information on, then deducing the deep sociologic opinions of the person from that.

Result is simple: err... cow droppings.

1UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2008, 06:17 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD View Post

Well...you're a lawyer. Your standards are different.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2008, 07:44 PM
superstar436

Another sign that MTL is becoming a big village.
Next on the list Jazz festival moving to Toronto in max 5 yrs

superstar436 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 07:43 AM
Badger Bob

Quote:
My point is that from all accounts , the hierarchy of F1 seems to be of dubious integrity much as I view MLB.
When it comes to business dealings, they are ruthless. Jackie Stewart even said that if they were regulated by the FTC, they would be outlawed. Still, they realize that the sport holds plenty of appeal and it's the finest technological proving ground. As heartless as the decision to drop Montreal from the calendar is, F1 really doesn't owe them a thing. This comes from somebody, who attended the event almost 20x. IndyCar couldn't even begin to replicate the atmosphere.

Separate issue, entirely, but my perception of the baseball situation in Montreal was much different. The Expos were in difficult financial straights, largely because of the currency exchange rate of the time. Players weren't exactly eager to go. Any recommendations for a new centre-ville park were rejected outright. (The Big Owe was one of the absolute worst places to sit and watch a game anywhere.) Yeah, yeah, yeah, the local reaction was opposition to any public-financing. Other cities were willing. So that was the outcome. Again, this comes from somebody who loved having an MLB team in Montreal, and found the relocation to DC to be rather dubious.

Quote:
I also know that there are specific pan handlers on Ste. Catherine that view it as their job,
One time, a panhandler on St. Denis saw nothing rude or obnoxious about interrupting our dinner at a Lebanese resto on St. Denis. I should've made it my job to insert my boot up his posterior orifice.

Quote:
but I don't know how this relates to my opinion that every time I hear of the Ecclestone's and co., something seems to smell bad.
Nobody claimed it did. It was posted for anybody who might still be interested in the comments.

Anybody familar with Bernie's tactics shouldn't be surprised at anything he says or does. He had a brainfart that there would be a huge demand for PPV. The best coverage was reserved for his Formula One Digital side operation. Some got it in Europe. North America TV channels were able to offer, even for a price, so NA fans were left with little or no on-car shots, except when seeing the tracks monitors at Illes Notre-Dame and Indy.

Last edited by Badger Bob: 10-10-2008 at 11:15 AM.
Badger Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2008, 10:37 AM
Judge Sauer*

Not completely dead yet guys

Quote:
Montreal Mayor Gérald Tremblay, Quebec Economic Development Minister Raymond Bachand and federal Minister of International Trade Michael Fortier met with F1 boss Bernie Ecclestone in London Thursday.

The Canadian delegation and F1 chief met for 2½ hours, and although no agreement was reached that would put Montreal back on next year's race calendar, Tremblay maintained an optimistic tone.
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/story/2008/...socialcomments

Judge Sauer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2008, 03:23 PM
CareyPrice x 31

vCash: 3907
theirs a press conferance at 6:30 on RIS

CareyPrice x 31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2008, 05:54 PM
JrHockeyFan

Quote:

Is F1 any different ?
LOL: The only difference is that the "scum" in charge speak with a different accent. Otherwise, same ol' same ol' . . . give me more $$$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge Sauer View Post
The only problem is that Mr Ecclestone will expect Montreal to be grateful for the opportunity to pay him more $$$. Max and Bernie are not my favourite folks. The sport is great. They stink

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 10-23-2008 at 06:11 PM.
JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote