HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

LW-Beaker thread XXIV: the "Holy Guacamole" edition

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-09-2008, 02:26 PM
  #51
habfan4
Registered User
 
habfan4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Deus Amat Pretzel
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,424
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
The DOW just dipped below 9000....Wow...
The NYSE really needs to rethink having the Grim Reaper ring the opening bell.

habfan4 is offline  
Old
10-09-2008, 02:28 PM
  #52
CH4
Registered User
 
CH4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Chicoutimi
Posts: 1,740
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AD View Post
So.. what do you do. (as opposed to what do you e-do)



You scare me man.
IA full liscenced

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
I've hit 240km/hr in my car on a track. Close to 190km/hr on a late night trip to Montreal though.

H10H does not endorse driving above the speed limit listed on the road you are traveling on.
yeah but your old, your experience compensate for speed,

CH4 is offline  
Old
10-09-2008, 02:28 PM
  #53
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
Trick Daddy
 
DaveG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Durham NC
Country: United States
Posts: 31,324
vCash: 2498
Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
The DOW just dipped below 9000....Wow...
My bet is it won't be long before 8000. WAY too many people panicking and not thinking long-term right now. I'm personally going to wait another month or two to see how things are going and then go buy crazy. I'm of the opinion that bad news means it's a good time to buy because people are going to be looking to get out for a fraction of what they should be getting.

DaveG is offline  
Old
10-09-2008, 02:29 PM
  #54
Galchenyuk x 27
Registered User
 
Galchenyuk x 27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,605
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
I've hit 240km/hr in my car on a track. Close to 190km/hr on a late night trip to Montreal though.

H10H does not endorse driving above the speed limit listed on the road you are traveling on.
190 is the fastest Ive gone on a highway.
i was late for my hockey game (tournament) and I had the goalie with me.
Basically I had to hurry the **** up.
We made it 5 minutes before game time, goalie got dressed in record time and we won 5-3

Galchenyuk x 27 is offline  
Old
10-09-2008, 02:31 PM
  #55
AD
Registered User
 
AD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bigassofficetower
Country: Lebanon
Posts: 14,576
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
I've hit 240km/hr in my car on a track. Close to 190km/hr on a late night trip to Montreal though.

H10H does not endorse driving above the speed limit listed on the road you are traveling on.
When I was young..er.. I hit 210 with my car on highway 10 towards Magog.. racing with a friend. On the way back (at much slower speed.. like 160) we threw donuts at their car to try to slow them down)

I was such a typical 18 year old idiot.

AD is offline  
Old
10-09-2008, 02:32 PM
  #56
Fido22
Registered User
 
Fido22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 5,690
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
My bet is it won't be long before 8000. WAY too many people panicking and not thinking long-term right now. I'm personally going to wait another month or two to see how things are going and then go buy crazy. I'm of the opinion that bad news means it's a good time to buy because people are going to be looking to get out for a fraction of what they should be getting.
I had a long talk with one of our traders yesterday and he kept insisting that it will be 15-20 years before the markets hit new highs.

I don't like that man!

Fido22 is offline  
Old
10-09-2008, 02:33 PM
  #57
CH4
Registered User
 
CH4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Chicoutimi
Posts: 1,740
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
My bet is it won't be long before 8000. WAY too many people panicking and not thinking long-term right now. I'm personally going to wait another month or two to see how things are going and then go buy crazy. I'm of the opinion that bad news means it's a good time to buy because people are going to be looking to get out for a fraction of what they should be getting.
I would suggest to not wait more then 2 months because you're going to pass awesome buying opportunities

now is a good time to put money in some sectors and wait a bit for others.

As much as the market is going down fast, it tend to reajust very quickly too ( see RIM last week).

Anyway advisor's tip of the day is done. Just writing and telling the same thing on the phone at the same time feels weird.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fido22 View Post
I had a long talk with one of our traders yesterday and he kept insisting that it will be 15-20 years before the markets hit new highs.

I don't like that man!
I disagree comopletely.

20 years ago was 1988.. sound a bell?

everything may happens in 15 years, markets will take a good 3-4 years to reajust and then we'll see.


Last edited by Beakermania*: 10-09-2008 at 02:39 PM.
CH4 is offline  
Old
10-09-2008, 02:37 PM
  #58
AD
Registered User
 
AD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bigassofficetower
Country: Lebanon
Posts: 14,576
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CH4THECUP View Post
IA full liscenced



yeah but your old, your experience compensate for speed,
IA as in Insurance or Investment?

.. wow..

so like.. you work for a local broker group or for the large faceless evil insurance cie. (not that there's a real difference these days)..



Wow.. and here I thought Fido and I would be the most hated people here.. but an insurance guy.

Nice!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fido22 View Post
I had a long talk with one of our traders yesterday and he kept insisting that it will be 15-20 years before the markets hit new highs.

I don't like that man!
Traders..

These are the same guys that said the market would never dip under 10,000...

AD is offline  
Old
10-09-2008, 02:39 PM
  #59
CH4
Registered User
 
CH4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Chicoutimi
Posts: 1,740
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AD View Post
IA as in Insurance or Investment?

.. wow..

so like.. you work for a local broker group or for the large faceless evil insurance cie. (not that there's a real difference these days)..



Wow.. and here I thought Fido and I would be the most hated people here.. but an insurance guy.

Nice!!



Traders..

These are the same guys that said the market would never dip under 10,000...
I am no insurance guy

Investments Advisor
Conseiller en placement

I work for a bank, you have 4 choice

Desjardins valeur mobiliere
BMO Nesbitt burns
National Bank Financial
CIBC Wood gundy

EDIT: no scotia nor TD in Chicoutimi

CH4 is offline  
Old
10-09-2008, 02:40 PM
  #60
Beakermania*
 
Beakermania*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kingston or Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,964
vCash: 500
GM is hitting the floor.

Beakermania* is offline  
Old
10-09-2008, 02:41 PM
  #61
waffledave
waffledave, from hf
 
waffledave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,419
vCash: 500
Wow...

We're around 8,780 now...It dropped 200 points in the last 20 minutes.

I'm going to the casino tonight. Safer than this ****.

__________________
Yours in Christ,

waffledave
waffledave is offline  
Old
10-09-2008, 02:41 PM
  #62
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Habs10Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 52,274
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CH4THECUP View Post
yeah but your old, your experience compensate for speed,
lol...don't remind me. I just calculated and I've been driving for 22 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydee96 View Post
190 is the fastest Ive gone on a highway.
i was late for my hockey game (tournament) and I had the goalie with me.
Basically I had to hurry the **** up.
We made it 5 minutes before game time, goalie got dressed in record time and we won 5-3
lol...I could just picture your poor goalie. Frozen stiff in the net, still in shock from that drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD View Post
When I was young..er.. I hit 210 with my car on highway 10 towards Magog.. racing with a friend. On the way back (at much slower speed.. like 160) we through donuts at their car to try to slow them down)

I was such a typical 18 year old idiot.
210..holy cow!

lol...sadly at that age I did the same. My first car was a Mustang GT 5L, not quite as fast as my Viper, but it still moved. We would race up north on the weekends, zip zagging through traffic, just being real jerks.

I've always been a quick driver, even now. But ever since my baby bro passed away in a car accident a few years ago. I'm not quite the lead foot I used to be.

__________________
Don Cherry is right...you don't poke the bear..you walk right up to it and punch it in the mouth. - Grant McCagg
Habs10Habs is offline  
Old
10-09-2008, 02:41 PM
  #63
habfan4
Registered User
 
habfan4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Deus Amat Pretzel
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,424
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
GM is hitting the floor.
Welcome back short sellers.

habfan4 is offline  
Old
10-09-2008, 02:43 PM
  #64
CH4
Registered User
 
CH4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Chicoutimi
Posts: 1,740
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
Wow...

We're around 8,780 now...It dropped 200 points in the last 20 minutes.

I'm going to the casino tonight. Safer than this ****.
My book is extremely diversified, and the theory that state diversification is the key is no b/s trust me.

Obviously portfolios aren't up but doing wayyy better then indices...

CH4 is offline  
Old
10-09-2008, 02:48 PM
  #65
waffledave
waffledave, from hf
 
waffledave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,419
vCash: 500
Down to 8,650 now...What a day. Only 20 minutes left, I wonder if we'll hit 8,500 before the end of the day.

Amazing. In a horrible way. Down 6.5% (almost 650 points!!!!) today. Unbelievable.

waffledave is offline  
Old
10-09-2008, 02:49 PM
  #66
Fido22
Registered User
 
Fido22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 5,690
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CH4THECUP View Post
I disagree comopletely.

20 years ago was 1988.. sound a bell?

everything may happens in 15 years, markets will take a good 3-4 years to reajust and then we'll see.
I didn't agree either (I've been buying aggresively for the past weeks), which is why it was a "long" talk.

But this isn't 1987. Nor is it the early 90s. Not even the 70s hyperinflation + recession.

This is unprecedented in 70 years.

There is a serious run on banks all over the world (Canada is remarkably stable and healthy). There is no interinstitutional lending. There is a massive shortage of credit. Companies (big, big compagnies) can't get loans or only upon onerous terms.

There will be a lot of bankrupcies.

We've seen the financial crises. We haven't seen the economic crises that will follow.

Personally, I don't think we have lived through a recession like the one coming up. Canada is one of the only places on earth that had sane financial markets, but ressources drops (Hello Alberta!) and exporting drops will hurt hard.

I'm all doom and gloom for at least 3-5 years.

More than that, who knows.

Fido22 is offline  
Old
10-09-2008, 02:50 PM
  #67
mcphee
Registered User
 
mcphee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 19,105
vCash: 500
I need a plan, I hate not having a plan. My young'un wanted to go to a Dylan show, so we got tickets for Nov.15 in Kingston. She wants to see Queens. Russel graciously agrees to a tour, so everything works right ?


I figure that the Eastern final, involving my Als, just as big as a Stanley Cup semi to me, will be on the Sunday. Nooooooo, it's on Saturday the 15th. I'm screwed.

mcphee is offline  
Old
10-09-2008, 02:52 PM
  #68
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
Trick Daddy
 
DaveG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Durham NC
Country: United States
Posts: 31,324
vCash: 2498
Quote:
Originally Posted by CH4THECUP View Post
My book is extremely diversified, and the theory that state diversification is the key is no b/s trust me.

Obviously portfolios aren't up but doing wayyy better then indices...
Yep, still saving up enough to really be able to make any kind of moves into other markets at this point. But oddly enough for the most part my assets are alright at the moment. BRKA is one I'm looking to get in to in a big way if it goes down enough.

DaveG is offline  
Old
10-09-2008, 02:53 PM
  #69
AD
Registered User
 
AD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bigassofficetower
Country: Lebanon
Posts: 14,576
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
I need a plan, I hate not having a plan. My young'un wanted to go to a Dylan show, so we got tickets for Nov.15 in Kingston. She wants to see Queens. Russel graciously agrees to a tour, so everything works right ?


I figure that the Eastern final, involving my Als, just as big as a Stanley Cup semi to me, will be on the Sunday. Nooooooo, it's on Saturday the 15th. I'm screwed.
The solution is to leave Russel alone with your daughter..

Edit: btw, tell your daughter I said that.. then hit her will ya.

AD is offline  
Old
10-09-2008, 02:54 PM
  #70
CH4
Registered User
 
CH4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Chicoutimi
Posts: 1,740
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
Down to 8,650 now...What a day. Only 20 minutes left, I wonder if we'll hit 8,500 before the end of the day.

Amazing. In a horrible way. Down 6.5% (almost 650 points!!!!) today. Unbelievable.



CH4 is offline  
Old
10-09-2008, 02:56 PM
  #71
habfan4
Registered User
 
habfan4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Deus Amat Pretzel
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,424
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
Yep, still saving up enough to really be able to make any kind of moves into other markets at this point. But oddly enough for the most part my assets are alright at the moment. BRKA is one I'm looking to get in to in a big way if it goes down enough.
How far do you expect Berkshire to fall?

habfan4 is offline  
Old
10-09-2008, 03:00 PM
  #72
Galchenyuk x 27
Registered User
 
Galchenyuk x 27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,605
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by AD View Post
When I was young..er.. I hit 210 with my car on highway 10 towards Magog.. racing with a friend. On the way back (at much slower speed.. like 160) we threw donuts at their car to try to slow them down)

I was such a typical 18 year old idiot.
dont do that on highway 10 nowadays.
That highway is infested with cops

Galchenyuk x 27 is offline  
Old
10-09-2008, 03:01 PM
  #73
Russeltown
Registered User
 
Russeltown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,524
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AD View Post
When I was young..er.. I hit 210 with my car on highway 10 towards Magog.. racing with a friend. On the way back (at much slower speed.. like 160) we threw donuts at their car to try to slow them down)

I was such a typical 18 year old idiot.
You were?

Russeltown is offline  
Old
10-09-2008, 03:03 PM
  #74
AD
Registered User
 
AD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bigassofficetower
Country: Lebanon
Posts: 14,576
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russeltown View Post
You were?
Shut up you.

I'm working on getting you hooked up with Mcphee's daughter..

AD is offline  
Old
10-09-2008, 03:06 PM
  #75
CH4
Registered User
 
CH4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Chicoutimi
Posts: 1,740
vCash: 500
Alright markets closed, going back to studying that CFA

good night!

P.S. truce asked with the dog

CH4 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:31 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.