HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Robitaille's contract:sign for the upcoming season?

Closed Thread

Old
06-29-2004, 10:47 PM
BigFatPapa

vCash: 500
Robitaille's contract:sign for the upcoming season?

Lately, Luc Robitaille has signed a one year contract with LA. Considering the high possibility of a lock-out next year, wouldn't it be foolish to do so? I mean, spending 1.5 millions one a player for the upcoming season, knowing what we do about it, which isn't very positive, would be pretty careless...or stupid...
My point is, could it be that the negociations are going better than we think they are? One thing's for sure, LA's GM sure thinks there'll be a season next year, maybe just 50 games or so, but still a little hockey for us fans to enjoy.
Am I getting crazy or something or is my point valuable? Gimme your thougts about it...

Old
06-29-2004, 10:48 PM
Tuggy

vCash: 50
The owners will not pay the players if they lock them out...

Old
06-29-2004, 10:51 PM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatPapa
Lately, Luc Robitaille has signed a one year contract with LA. Considering the high possibility of a lock-out next year, wouldn't it be foolish to do so? I mean, spending 1.5 millions one a player for the upcoming season, knowing what we do about it, which isn't very positive, would be pretty careless...or stupid...
My point is, could it be that the negociations are going better than we think they are? One thing's for sure, LA's GM sure thinks there'll be a season next year, maybe just 50 games or so, but still a little hockey for us fans to enjoy.
Am I getting crazy or something or is my point valuable? Gimme your thougts about it...
Luc Should have retired before last season. I certainly hope Montreal wouldn't sign him.

Old
06-29-2004, 10:52 PM
Habbadasher

I don't have a source, but I recall an article in which a GM said that he must be prepared for a season and therefore has to take care of business. From what I have read, and observed, GM's don't seem to mind signing their own RFA's and UFA's, but are wary of signing other team's UFA's because of the uncertainty about a cap. Also, several teams have come out and said that they are cutting their budget.

Old
06-30-2004, 04:46 AM
Marksman

Lockout or no lockout makes no difference at all.

You have to have team completed in any case. Chances are there still might be NHL hockey player next season. I dont know if the insurances have to be paid regardless, but I dont it makes big difference if you had full or half a team inked.

GMs are going frugal, but thats because their teams are losing money big time and there might be salary cap in some shape or form in near future.

Closed Thread