HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

The "C"

Old
10-08-2008, 10:25 AM
hockey23

vCash: 500
The "C"

Picked up Hockey 5-6 years ago and it has been my crack ever since. Can't get enough of it (playing, TV, Books, etc.). Bottom line its the best sport in the world hands down. I played competitive soccer and football at high levels and those never came close to the commraderie of even a beer league team. As such, and hopefully I can get a global opinion on this, how much more important is the "C" in Hockey than in other sports? My naive opinion is that in a game that asks so much of the individual to sacrifice for his team that to be asked to lead a Hockey team would seem to be much more humbling and honorable than most other sports. Since I am just an old beer leaguer I am wondering if the "C" is preached about in youth Hockey in places like Canada where Hockey is it when it comes to sprots. Just wondering, figured this was the best place to post.

hockey23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 01:09 PM
ck26
Alcoholab User

vCash: 133
You wear an armband in soccer, but it's exchangable, so when your captain is off the field, someone else is your captain. Hockey's the only other sport where there's an identifiable captain label.

In my state, teams voted for captains and put letters on jerseys starting in bantams. Are other places the same?

ck26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 04:56 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottonking View Post
Hockey's the only other sport where there's an identifiable captain label.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 08:00 PM
Sensfanman

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey23 View Post
Picked up Hockey 5-6 years ago and it has been my crack ever since. Can't get enough of it (playing, TV, Books, etc.). Bottom line its the best sport in the world hands down. I played competitive soccer and football at high levels and those never came close to the commraderie of even a beer league team. As such, and hopefully I can get a global opinion on this, how much more important is the "C" in Hockey than in other sports? My naive opinion is that in a game that asks so much of the individual to sacrifice for his team that to be asked to lead a Hockey team would seem to be much more humbling and honorable than most other sports. Since I am just an old beer leaguer I am wondering if the "C" is preached about in youth Hockey in places like Canada where Hockey is it when it comes to sprots. Just wondering, figured this was the best place to post.
Usually, in youth hockey, the C goes to the best player unless they are generally disliked. However, as I got older, it became evident the C was more to denote a Captain. One of my friends signed up when he was 17, the last year of youth hockey here, I trained him in the summer, but he wasn't that good. He tried his best all the time, he threw hits and was a good checker and he was the most enthusiastic since it was his first year. He made some good speeches along the way as well and led the team to 1st place and a championship.

So yes, I do think the C matters. When you give it just the best player, it inflates their ego and shows they can do whatever. When you give it to someone truly deserving, it gives the team moral and they shows the "superstars" with egos how to play hard all the time.

Oh and I am not saying that all good youth players have egos and such, but in general, when you're a teenager, and you're better than most people you do tend to get a big head, especially when you aren't quite good enough to play in the next level but are noticeably too good to be in the level you are.

That's just from my personal experience, I can't speak for everyone.

Sensfanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 08:42 PM
ArGarBarGar
Global Moderator
Defense Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
How many teams utilize that label?

ArGarBarGar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2008, 12:35 AM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Holiday View Post
you mean there are teams other than the Red Sox?

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2008, 12:45 AM
dagr81

here's another example
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photos03.jpg‎ (164.8 KB, 11 views)

dagr81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2008, 06:19 AM
Reds4Life
HFBoards Sponsor

The "C" is meaningless imho. A good leader does not need some letter on his uniform.

Reds4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2008, 04:29 PM
David Puddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Holiday View Post
I recall Dave Concepcion of the Cincinnati Reds and Keith Hernandez of the New York Mets as having worn the "C" in baseball. I can find a picture of Concepcion from as early as 1985 with a "C." I think Hernandez started to wear one from 1987 to 1989.

Keith Hernandez (left chest)

Dave Concepcion (on left sleeve)

Barry Larkin (above number)

David Puddy is offline   Reply With Quote