HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Halak's future?

Old
10-09-2008, 04:20 PM
Claude28Giroux
praiseG

vCash: 500
Halak's future?

So I don't pay attention to the Habs at all, but i know Halak is great young goaltender. I joined a keeper fantasy league for money and it's starting from scratch. So we build our teams as young as possible. Luongo and Lundqvist have already been picked. I was thinking taking Carey Price as my second round pick and maybe in the later rounds nab Halak as a steal because I doubt he'll be picked in the first 3 rounds.

So what i came here to ask is what the situation is on him. Is he going to be backing up Carery as long as he is in Montreal? Is Carey going soon and Halak going to become the number 1? How long is
Halak and Price signed for? You guys saw him play a hell of alot more than me. Is he a future franchise goalie? Any info would be swell

Claude28Giroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2008, 04:35 PM
Beakermania*

1) Price isn't going anywhere
2) Halak will probably get 30 games as Price's backup.
3) I doubt he is traded; we wont get much for him, there is no market for goalies and he hasn't proven much as of right now... He's more valuable as our backup then the return we could get in a trade. Plus Denis cannot be relied upon, he sucks.
4) Halak could be someone's starter down the road, he has the potential to play well enough to force a trade ala Bryzgalov or Toskala situation.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2008, 04:47 PM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

Right now, Halak seems headed for being Price backup as long as he's in Montreal. Obviously you never know, both are still young and Price could turn into the biggest burst since Daigle but as long as the sky doesn't fall, Carey Price will become the habs franchise goalie.

Right now there's no point in trading Halak because he can play the backup role easily and he's cheap at hell. With Price and Halak, Montreal has the best bang for the bucks goalie duo in the league. But the habs could be tempted to trade Halak and replace him with a vet if they can fetch something nice in return, and if Price really ends up doing the bulk of the job a la Brodeur.

Finally... remember that Halak hasn't really be tested as a first. Most people here will say he can do the job, but he still never goaled more than 28 regular season games in a year since he played professional hockey. He's on the small side, and IMHO it's not that obvious if he could handle the workload.

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2008, 05:16 PM
Claude28Giroux
praiseG

Good responses so far guys! Much appreciated. So the way it sounds it's a done deal. Price will be my second round pick. In this league you are allowed to have 3 goalies. Is Halak good enough to warrant a 3rd string spot in a fantasy league with 12 teams?

Old
10-09-2008, 05:20 PM
JMMR

Send a message via MSN to JMMR Send a message via Yahoo to JMMR
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCannon View Post
Good responses so far guys! Much appreciated. So the way it sounds it's a done deal. Price will be my second round pick. In this league you are allowed to have 3 goalies. Is Halak good enough to warrant a 3rd string spot in a fantasy league with 12 teams?
Yes.
Halak will get close to 30 games.

JMMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2008, 05:43 PM
goalchenyuk

If you can , pick Andrei Kostitsyn . He will score a lot of goals this coming season .

goalchenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2008, 05:58 PM
Erika

I really like Halak, hopefully he stays with this team for 3-4 more years...

Erika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2008, 06:59 PM
Claude28Giroux
praiseG

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMMR View Post
Yes.
Halak will get close to 30 games.
Ight, well I really am pissed. Some **** bag picked Carey Price. I am still pissed. So now i have to pick another first string goalie and it's slim pickens. I might take halak as a 2nd goalie. Seeing how he has a promising future in the NHL he can ride 3rd string if I can find another goalie who starts. If i want to win games i still need 2 goalies who start regularly ya know. Well this thread really was helpfully for me thanks guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100th View Post
If you can , pick Andrei Kostitsyn . He will score a lot of goals this coming season .
Maybe.

Old
10-09-2008, 07:12 PM
Beakermania*

Garon is a starter who is getting overlooked in a lot of leagues....

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 05:04 AM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldthorpe View Post
Finally... remember that Halak hasn't really be tested as a first. Most people here will say he can do the job, but he still never goaled more than 28 regular season games in a year since he played professional hockey. He's on the small side, and IMHO it's not that obvious if he could handle the workload.
04-05 QMJHL 47 games .913
05-06 ECHL/AHL 33 games .930
06-07 AHL/NHL 44 games .922
07-08 AHL/NHL 34 games .930

I think he handled his workload pretty well.

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 09:26 AM
Habitants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
Garon is a starter who is getting overlooked in a lot of leagues....
yup! i got him in the HF habs league!

and Halak too!

Habitants is offline   Reply With Quote