HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Francois Gagnon on Team 990 this morning

Old
10-09-2008, 10:07 AM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habfan4 View Post
To be honest, I was just going for laughs with that comment.

I'm not worried about guys like Begin and/or Lapierre "taking it to the next level" their role on the team is not rocket science. All they need to do is play smart defence, get in the opposition's faces and finish their checks.
I don't know if it counts, but I laughed.

10-09-2008, 11:35 AM
LePoche69

I don't have anything against a fourth line pest who always shot on goal instead of passing (even if, sometimes, the passing play was obvious).

To me, a fourth line's goal, beside energy and grit, is to shoot on goal, crash the net, and provoke a faceoff in the offensive zone for our other scoring lines (and of course score the occasionnal goal on rebounds from that strategy).

I have no problem with Lapierre shooting as long as he follows the puck to the net and his teammates do the same.

I do agree Lapierre should do that with the same level of intensity every night, which is what he's not doing.

LePoche69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2008, 11:39 AM
Habnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by CabbageLegs View Post
I am not normally a big fan of his but this morning he said something that i personally have been thinking since last year. " Maxime Lapierre must bring his game to the next level if he wishes to be a full time NHL'r "

I am not bashing Lappy here but i too believe he will have to show his boss's that he is going to step his game up, because IMO he will be replaced by Chipper.
Wow! Great insight from Gagnon. This has never been discussed on this board

Which brings me to this thought, with all the access, time Gagnon spends with the Habs, is this the best he can offer? Bet you he puts more effort if finding problems with Kovy!!!

Quote:
So you want Lapierre to start taking penalties at inopportune times?
Master Yoda!! I bow to your zingers

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 10-09-2008 at 11:44 AM.
Habnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2008, 11:53 AM
Rahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LePoche69 View Post
I don't have anything against a fourth line pest who always shot on goal instead of passing (even if, sometimes, the passing play was obvious).

To me, a fourth line's goal, beside energy and grit, is to shoot on goal, crash the net, and provoke a faceoff in the offensive zone for our other scoring lines (and of course score the occasionnal goal on rebounds from that strategy).

I have no problem with Lapierre shooting as long as he follows the puck to the net and his teammates do the same.

I do agree Lapierre should do that with the same level of intensity every night, which is what he's not doing.
I agree, I don't mind if he always shoots. I prefer that over trying a pass that he's not confident he can make and creating a turnover! Plus, as you said, it creates a faceoff in the offensive zone for the other lines... so it's all good!

Rahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2008, 11:56 AM
Evil Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by otto bond View Post
I was thinking about his passing!
I was thinking about his slapshot.

Evil Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2008, 11:56 AM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahan View Post
I agree, I don't mind if he always shoots. I prefer that over trying a pass that he's not confident he can make and creating a turnover! Plus, as you said, it creates a faceoff in the offensive zone for the other lines... so it's all good!
True, but it also gives the opposition an advantage, since he's so predictable. Maybe if he passed once in awhile he might be able to catch a goalie off guard when he does shoot the puck.

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2008, 01:11 PM
Jean-Guy Drouin*

He must develop his vision of the game. Each time he's on the ice, he only looks at the puck, for a centerman, he also have to look over the others players on ice in order to be careful defensively. He must be put on the wings.

He's an horrible passer and fighter. I hope he wont finish the season in MTL and Chipper of a real 4th line guy will replace him. I dream of a Kostopoulos-Begin-Laraque line; a real 4th line.

Jean-Guy Drouin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2008, 01:23 PM
Kriss E

The guy is a 4th liner. No NHL 4th liner has a safe spot on the roster.
Does Gagnon think Dandy has a safe spot?..Begin?..Kosto?..
Lapierre has to keep doing what he does. Be an annoying ugly ****.
Win faceoff, play a simple defensive minded game and don't make any turnovers.
He will feel a lot more comfortable talking trash now with Laraque by his side as well.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2008, 01:48 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Guy Drouin View Post
He must develop his vision of the game. Each time he's on the ice, he only looks at the puck, for a centerman, he also have to look over the others players on ice in order to be careful defensively. He must be put on the wings.

He's an horrible passer and fighter. I hope he wont finish the season in MTL and Chipper of a real 4th line guy will replace him. I dream of a Kostopoulos-Begin-Laraque line; a real 4th line.
Begin is not effective as a centre... his game is also better suited to the wing.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2008, 01:50 PM

I hate it when people say Lapierre shouldn't fight because it's not his role. Whose role is it then? Kovalev's? Kostitsyn's? Plekanec's? These guys don't have to fight because they have skill and thus a almost certain place on the team.

Lapierre though can be easily replaced by someone who has hockey sense and who can pass the puck. He's a 6' 2" 207 pounds 4th line player with 30 fights experience. He fought in the juniors, he can do it in the NHL too. I don't expect him to fight 20 times but 7-8 times would be fine.

68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2008, 02:01 PM
Beakermania*

I think stepping it up to the next level means Lappy has to get better defensively this year. He was okay last year, but there were times he missed his assignment or got out of position. Its time for him to start maturing in his 3rd year in the NHL and no longer make as many of those youthful mistakes. He needs to become a better PKer too... He needs to continue his improvement or he'll get passed on the depth chart by the young kids coming up. I think he can do it.

Old
10-09-2008, 02:16 PM
Squeaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
I think stepping it up to the next level means Lappy has to get better defensively this year. He was okay last year, but there were times he missed his assignment or got out of position. Its time for him to start maturing in his 3rd year in the NHL and no longer make as many of those youthful mistakes. He needs to become a better PKer too... He needs to continue his improvement or he'll get passed on the depth chart by the young kids coming up. I think he can do it.
This. Exactly.

I don't care much about his offensive game. 5 goals, 10 goals, who cares? Since we haven't got a checkin line this year, I want our grind line to grow into that role. Chipchura is an excellent start. Laps needs to bring his defensive game up to snuff.

As for the shooting/passing thing, I think it was a really good point about getting the offensive zone faceoff. Laps does that very well, I think he goes out of his way to do it sometimes. I can remember it happening a number of times last year, then on come the Pleks trio. This can make it look like he's a puck hog or a guy who never passes, but really he's doing his job and getting our scoring lines in a good position. This is one case where shooting the puck a lot can actually be a selfless, team-first play. He just has to make sure he hustles to the net after the shot and makes the goalie hold on or smother the puck.

Squeaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2008, 02:19 PM
Beakermania*

I just want to say I criticize him a lot for shooting on 2 on 1s....

However to be fair to Lappy... a lot of his 2 on 1s are SH. When you are shorthanded that pass is a very dangerous play. If the defenceman intercepts it, it quickly turns into a 5 on 2 the other way.

Old
10-09-2008, 03:00 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 View Post
I hate it when people say Lapierre shouldn't fight because it's not his role. Whose role is it then? Kovalev's? Kostitsyn's? Plekanec's? These guys don't have to fight because they have skill and thus a almost certain place on the team.

Lapierre though can be easily replaced by someone who has hockey sense and who can pass the puck. He's a 6' 2" 207 pounds 4th line player with 30 fights experience. He fought in the juniors, he can do it in the NHL too. I don't expect him to fight 20 times but 7-8 times would be fine.
how about Laraque?

Old
10-09-2008, 03:01 PM
Kriss E

Quote:

However to be fair to Lappy... a lot of his 2 on 1s are SH. When you are shorthanded that pass is a very dangerous play. If the defenceman intercepts it, it quickly turns into a 5 on 2 the other way.
Yea..not only that but I feel a lot more comfortable with him shooting because he won't put that puck on the blade.

Old
10-09-2008, 03:29 PM
Mother Pucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
What "next level"? Lapierre's a career grinder/pest and should probably never see anything above third line minutes. I'm not a huge fan of his but what else are we to expect from him?
He's not even filling that role well IMO...for second role type of players like agitator or goon, I think we should aim to have the best ones (like Laraque), or not have one at all. He just takes the spot of someone who down the farm who could really contribute offensively (Pac, d'Ago) or defensively (Chipchura).
Plus, I seriously think Lapierre was the most useless player last season (ok, maybe after Ryder...just MAYBE), and he showed nothing good at camp. Not even intensity or grind, which is supposed to be the only thing he's good at.

Mother Pucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2008, 06:07 PM
overlords
Global Moderator
Jack Arse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazz View Post
Francois Gagnon is a good guy, but i have trouble taking him seriously.....his nickname should be 'CAPTAIN OBVIOUS" for always stating the obvious
your post is a bit ironic

overlords is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2008, 06:16 PM
znk

Quote:
So you want Lapierre to start taking penalties at inopportune times?
I know what you mean.

But I meant everything else.

edit: everything else that is good. As in excluding the bad stuff like taking a 4 minute high sticking penalty on the last game of the season when your team is fighting for a playoff spot. And other stuff like that...but including big hits and stuff that is good like saving orphans and puppies.

Last edited by znk: 10-09-2008 at 06:29 PM.
znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2008, 06:20 PM
Kikizaz

Quote:

buuuuuut.... A 2 on 1 SH is ALWAYS a dangerous play unless you make sure you hit the net. If you rip a shot and miss that puck is leaving the zone as quickly as it entered.

Kikizaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2008, 07:11 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kikizaz View Post
buuuuuut.... A 2 on 1 SH is ALWAYS a dangerous play unless you make sure you hit the net. If you rip a shot and miss that puck is leaving the zone as quickly as it entered.
And how many times does he miss the net.....

I always see him shoot it into the goalies chest or pads.

Old
10-09-2008, 09:13 PM
Shred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazz View Post
Francois Gagnon is a good guy, but i have trouble taking him seriously.....his nickname should be 'CAPTAIN OBVIOUS" for always stating the obvious
Pun intended?

Shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2008, 09:15 PM
Chazz
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
your post is a bit ironic
i know lol

Chazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
how about Laraque?
Laraque only fights people who stand a chance against him (Orr, Peters, Cote, Brashear, Chara...). He won't fight a Sean Avery, maybe not even a Chris Neil. It's up to our 4th line players to fight guys that are too scared to fight Laraque and Lapierre should do that if he wants to keep his spot on the team.

68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 03:34 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 View Post
Laraque only fights people who stand a chance against him (Orr, Peters, Cote, Brashear, Chara...). He won't fight a Sean Avery, maybe not even a Chris Neil. It's up to our 4th line players to fight guys that are too scared to fight Laraque and Lapierre should do that if he wants to keep his spot on the team.
No he doesn't.
He needs to win faceoffs, don't make turnovers, be smart defensively, and try to get offensive zone faceoffs. THAT'S what he needs to do to keep his roster spot, not fight Avery or Neil.

If Avery or Neil wanna talk crap, then Laraque will go piss off Alfie or Spezza or Heatly.
Lapierre doesn't need to fight, and quite frankly, I don't want him too. Did you see his fight vs Talbot??..The guy would get destroyed by Neil. There's absolutely no point in fighting when you know you'll lose. That would actually be giving momentum to the other team for free there, dumb move.

Old
10-10-2008, 03:48 PM
Vasculio
Booya !

Anyway, I want to see Lapierre play with Laraque and Kostopoulos... I don't know why, but IMO THEN he will be effective, cause he will be able to annoy the other team as much as he want, cause the other 2 will take care of the rough stuff...

Vasculio is offline   Reply With Quote