HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

An Introspection...My Insight Into Our Upcoming Season

Old
10-09-2008, 07:44 PM
GoneAway

vCash:
An Introspection...My Insight Into Our Upcoming Season

As I sit here in the mould that I formed over the year in my couch, watching the banner raising ceremony in Detroit, I can help but smile.

Why am I smiling, you ask?

No I am not a closet Wings fan; quite far from it actually.

I can't help but be reminded of why hockey is played, admired and lived by millions of fans. The game is about the joy of victory and the ability to stand on to for that moment. The moment of omnipotency in the hockey world. The moment where your team wins the gold, or in the case of the league we know and love, the coveted Stanley Cup.

I went for a run a couple hours ago and my mind started drifting as I was trying to block out the searing pain going up and down my legs.

I started thinking of that moment in '93 where I heard the words of Bob Cole. Words that will be forever etched in my memory...

"And now a 24th Stanley Cup banner will hang from the famous Forum in Montreal...The Canadiens win the Stanley Cup!"

Now that was a moment of passion and pride. I was in grade 5 at the time and as I look back now, the moment is still suspended in time for me.

Years passed and I can only specifically remember a few moments here and there in the lifeline of our team...

-The Roy trade;
-Moog in net;
-Jason Ward going in the first and some hack named Gregor Beaumgartner that Houle seemed to love;
-Saku leading the lead only to be injured;
-Peter Popovic and Oleg Petrov;
-Andy Moog;
-Cancer....;
-Theo being immortal in the regular season only to fizzle vs the Canes;
-Zednik being flatened by McClaren;
-And Bob taking the healms...

Needless to say, those 10 memories span 10 uneventful years. Call it the curse of St Patrick if you will. I was always a fan, but I must admit, I was getting a little used to being dissapointed. I was occupying myself with other things through high school such as my own hockey, girls and other novelties that are enjoyed through those years of bliss. I forgot what that 9 year old boy enjoyed; be he was still inside me somewheres.

Back to Bob...

The moment Gainey came in was pretty much at the point where the organization and fanbase collectively said "Enough is enough". And at that point, I could hear whispers from that inner child...the same word over and over again. And that word was "Hope". The hope to relive the moment of bliss.

We all know what happened in the past 5 years so there's no need to make a synopsis of the timeline of events, but each year that little boy's voice keeps getting stronger and after my pilgrimmage last year to the Mecca of hockey and our incredible run, I forget no more. I'm remembering that feeling again. I never posted this last season after the final game vs the Flyers, but that last moment before our team skated off the ice one last time in which they saluted us and we promptly returned the gesture to them had a greater meaning than a thank you. I think it was acknowledgement that the team that is worthy of wearing la Sainte Flannelle is back.

We're on the doorstep of the 100th season of our team's history. I can tell you that during each game, each moment of this memorable season, in my 25 year old body, that 9 year old boy will be chearing in full force. Chearing for that moment that several media outlets have predicted will happen in late May-early June...

We are on the cusp of something special. I want everyone to remeber what we as a fanbase have gone through over the years and know that good things come to those that wait.

Go Habs Go

Last edited by GoneAway: 10-09-2008 at 08:58 PM.
Old
10-09-2008, 07:49 PM
Galchenyuk x 27

vCash: 1976
wow, that is awesome LC.
I seriously got a chill reading that.

GO GO!

Galchenyuk x 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2008, 07:49 PM
Beakermania*

vCash: 500
I agree 100% brother.....

The hope is back... the energy is back... you can sense it, this team is special again.

This is the first time in I don't know how long I'm thinking about the Habs winning the Stanley Cup in October, not just, can we get into the playoffs.....

I believe in this team... I believe this year....

Finally the Cup will come home.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2008, 07:50 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Wow.....

- Ken Dryden
Habs10Habs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2008, 07:51 PM
Kachino

What that LC with or without the booze?

Kachino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2008, 07:53 PM
GoneAway

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kachino View Post
What that LC with or without the booze?
Without...I dont go running drunk

Old
10-09-2008, 07:53 PM
znk

When I read it I'm sure I'll applaud! Sorry Chezz no time right now but maybe later tonight.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2008, 07:58 PM
GoneAway

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
When I read it I'm sure I'll applaud! Sorry Chezz no time right now but maybe later tonight.
S'all good...

I appreciate the appreciation before you even have a chance to appreciate it

Old
10-09-2008, 08:04 PM
Hannibal
Brandon Prust FTW

I'm speechless....

Hannibal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2008, 08:12 PM
znk

Ok. Now I read it but I wont applaud because I'm jalous I cant write stuff like that. You're the ****er that got an A+ while I got D in my essai. You're everything I hate in this world.

I just might try writing something similar so people can see what a D looks like.

Old
10-09-2008, 08:32 PM
HomaridII

I came to Montreal in 1987 from Cuba and was a huge Baseball fan as every Cuban is. I remember going to high school and people telling me I would never feel the same way about Baseball after I watched a hockey game live at the forum.

I remember saving $20-$25 so I could buy a standing only ticket to the forum, it must have been late 80s, early 90s, don't remember exactly and I remember immediately being hipnotized by the energy of the fans, the feeling in the building, instantly felt like home.

Then I remember 1993 and the city coming alive, hockey taking over in every corner, every bar. I remember understanding then that at no time is Montreal better than when the Canadiens are winning. The city FEELS different, almost like the building themselves come alive, the people are happier, the winter doesn't seem as harsh (even with all the snow, lol).

I was really missing that feeling until last year and I'll never forget January 24th 2008 ... habs losing 3-1 going into the third, on the road against Martin Brodeur and coming back to win 4-3. It was really that game IMO that turned the season and the franchise around. Everybody grew up that day, the players, the fans etc..

The Bell Center has never felt like home to me, until last season. The Ghost have finally moved ..

HomaridII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2008, 08:41 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Thanks for sharing that HomaridII.

You guys/girls make me so proud to be a Habs fan.

Habs10Habs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2008, 09:01 PM
GoneAway

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomaridII View Post
I came to Montreal in 1987 from Cuba and was a huge Baseball fan as every Cuban is. I remember going to high school and people telling me I would never feel the same way about Baseball after I watched a hockey game live at the forum.

I remember saving $20-$25 so I could buy a standing only ticket to the forum, it must have been late 80s, early 90s, don't remember exactly and I remember immediately being hipnotized by the energy of the fans, the feeling in the building, instantly felt like home.

Then I remember 1993 and the city coming alive, hockey taking over in every corner, every bar. I remember understanding then that at no time is Montreal better than when the Canadiens are winning. The city FEELS different, almost like the building themselves come alive, the people are happier, the winter doesn't seem as harsh (even with all the snow, lol).

I was really missing that feeling until last year and I'll never forget January 24th 2008 ... habs losing 3-1 going into the third, on the road against Martin Brodeur and coming back to win 4-3. It was really that game IMO that turned the season and the franchise around. Everybody grew up that day, the players, the fans etc..

The Bell Center has never felt like home to me, until last season. The Ghost have finally moved ..
For me, the Ghosts moved back when we came back from 5-0 vs the Rangers

Old
10-09-2008, 09:23 PM
shredder11

Very nice Lord Chezz

shredder11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2008, 09:32 PM
znk

Well...I've googled it any way I could think of and I still havent found where he copied this from.

Old
10-09-2008, 09:33 PM
GoneAway

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
Well...I've googled it any way I could think of and I still havent found where he copied this from.
Hey...theres much more to me than GTFO's

Old
10-09-2008, 10:31 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Amazing grammar and sentence structure for being drunk Chezz!

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2008, 11:38 PM
goalchenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
projection ...

goalchenyuk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2008, 11:49 PM
Iyathurai
Still missing Saku:(

Send a message via MSN to Iyathurai
Good post!...I was born in Montreal in 1990 but I did not become a fan until 2004 which is quite sad..I missed out on a lot. I can't believe I ignored the Canadiens until I was 13-14..anyways I hope this is the year.

Iyathurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 12:33 AM
Year 101

That was a great read and so true. Throughout the good times this year there will always be innevitable bad times. We as a club should always support the team and with each passing moment be proud that we are apart of something that embraces a whole city because that is what the habs are all about, uniting one whole city under one common roof to work altogether to fight what they are passionate about. Inside the bell center and whenever hockey is on there is nothing else but the habs, no distractions, nothing that can break the bond that fans share with their team. Thank you Bob, Thank you Saku, Thank you Timmins and big cheer to the fans who helped pump up this team at every game and in every waking moment that these guys put on there historic jerseys. Tir et le But....
Go Habs Go

Year 101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 05:03 AM
GoneAway

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post

Old
10-10-2008, 05:10 AM
VirginiaMtlExpat
Iggy button advocate

Back to Bob...

The moment Gainey came in was pretty much at the point where the organization and fanbase collectively said "Enough is enough". And at that point, I could hear whispers from that inner child...the same word over and over again. And that word was "Hope". The hope to relive the moment of bliss.

Bob... Hope. Has a ring to it.

VirginiaMtlExpat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 05:14 AM
GoneAway

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanyMontrealExpat View Post
Back to Bob...

Bob... Hope. Has a ring to it.

Hehe

Old
10-10-2008, 05:15 AM
VirginiaMtlExpat
Iggy button advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Chezz View Post
... I want everyone to remeber what we as a fanbase have gone through over the years and know that good things come to those that wait.

Go Habs Go
This may be true if you root for a storied franchise, but there are some Cubs and Leafs fans who are still waiting. As they say, life is not fair.

VirginiaMtlExpat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 05:52 AM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Chezz View Post
As I sit here in the mould that I formed over the year in my couch, watching the banner raising ceremony in Detroit, I can help but smile.

Why am I smiling, you ask?

No I am not a closet Wings fan; quite far from it actually.

I can't help but be reminded of why hockey is played, admired and lived by millions of fans. The game is about the joy of victory and the ability to stand on to for that moment. The moment of omnipotency in the hockey world. The moment where your team wins the gold, or in the case of the league we know and love, the coveted Stanley Cup.

I went for a run a couple hours ago and my mind started drifting as I was trying to block out the searing pain going up and down my legs.

I started thinking of that moment in '93 where I heard the words of Bob Cole. Words that will be forever etched in my memory...

"They were not supposed to be one of the favourites.... to make the Stanley Cup final this year....these Canadiens....but Ronald Corey got Serge Savard....he hired Jacques Demers....and all together they worked a young team to the top
....and now....a 24th Stanley Cup banner will hang....from the rafters of the famous Forum in Montreal ..............the Canadiens win the Stanley Cup!!!"

Now that was a moment of passion and pride. I was in grade 5 at the time and as I look back now, the moment is still suspended in time for me.

Years passed and I can only specifically remember a few moments here and there in the lifeline of our team...

-The Roy trade;
-Moog in net;
-Jason Ward going in the first and some hack named Gregor Beaumgartner that Houle seemed to love;
-Saku leading the lead only to be injured;
-Peter Popovic and Oleg Petrov;
-Andy Moog;
-Cancer....;
-Theo being immortal in the regular season only to fizzle vs the Canes;
-Zednik being flatened by McClaren;
-And Bob taking the helms...

Needless to say, those 10 memories span 10 uneventful years. Call it the curse of St Patrick if you will. I was always a fan, but I must admit, I was getting a little used to being dissapointed. I was occupying myself with other things through high school such as my own hockey, girls and other novelties that are enjoyed through those years of bliss. I forgot what that 9 year old boy enjoyed; be he was still inside me somewhere.

Back to Bob...

We all know what happened in the past 5 years so there's no need to make a synopsis of the timeline of events, but each year that little boy's voice keeps getting stronger and after my pilgrimmage last year to the Mecca of hockey and our incredible run, I forget no more. I'm remembering that feeling again. I never posted this last season after the final game vs the Flyers, but that last moment before our team skated off the ice one last time in which they saluted us and we promptly returned the gesture to them had a greater meaning than a thank you. I think it was acknowledgement that the team that is worthy of wearing la Sainte Flannelle is back.

We're on the doorstep of the 100th season of our team's history. I can tell you that during each game, each moment of this memorable season, in my 25 year old body, that 9 year old boy will be cheering in full force. Cheering for that moment that several media outlets have predicted will happen in late May-early June...

We are on the cusp of something special. I want everyone to remeber what we as a fanbase have gone through over the years and know that good things come to those that wait.

Go Habs Go
Edited to give you the full 27 seconds long call, and to add in three words missing from the last sentence you quoted.

I am double your age, but still I LOVED your post. I think that unfortunately those of us who can remember the 60s and 70s were hit even harder by the years of drought than even a sensitive observer like you can fathom.I was always skeptical when there was a bit of progress, concerned it wouldn't last.......and it didn't.

But since January of 2008, I'm convinced it's real now. My team is legitimately in the hunt. And the year 2009 is special.

Go Habs Go indeed!

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote