HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Mike Komisarek

Old
10-10-2008, 11:45 AM
GoodKiwi

vCash: 500
Mike Komisarek

This is not about his trade value, but rather how much money the guy will be worth to teams when/if he hits UFA market.

I am curious to see what people think of Komisarek's upcoming UFA payday. What do you think would be a fair cap hit for his new contract and what do you see as the ideal length? On the Habs' board opinions vary and the price ranges between 3m and 5m.

Thanks.

GoodKiwi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 11:47 AM
AK

If Jeff Finger got 3.5, and Orpik got 3.75, Komisarek ought to be able fetch 4.5 million.

AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 11:50 AM
HamrlikTheStud*

As I said on the Habs board, anything around 4,7M/year for about 5 years (23,5M total) would be fair and great if you ask me.

Some guys on the Habs board say he's going to get 8M on the open market... Not going to happen.

This guy isn't worth more than 5M on any way.

HamrlikTheStud* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 11:52 AM
GoodKiwi

8M?

Old
10-10-2008, 11:52 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Well, it's kind of a loaded question. I sure hope not many players take a Finger comparable seriously. Some of it depends on how this season goes for Komisarek. And how the cap and economy go if he does hit free agency. But if we take the default assumption that Komisarek's play stays on course, and the hockey economy doesn't crash, then:

I'd say he's worth $6M per on the open UFA market. But I sure hope he doesn't get there, and that the Habs can extend him at something considerably lower before that extreme is reached.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 11:58 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1x44r View Post
8M?
Nothing against Brian Campbell, but in a completely different way (about as different as you can get, actually) a player like Komisarek provides similar rarity (maybe greater?) and overall contribution to his team's success IMO. Put in a bit of inflation, maybe see if his legend grows further this season... well, who knows. NHL free agency is a wild ride for sure. Thing is, I think Komisarek himself would probably take the first $6M offer in a location he liked at 12:01 pm on July 1st. The bidding war wouldn't get a chance to get as high as $8M.

Old
10-10-2008, 12:01 PM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

He's definately the type of player *some* NHL team would overpay for on the open market. An offer approaching six large a season long term would not be out of the question. He and Brian Rafalski are my top pairing for the U.S. Olympic team in 2010!

Rabid Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 12:03 PM
GoodKiwi

Well, Campbell did not get 8M (just over 7M AFAIR) and I'd argue he brings more to a team than Komisarek. And yes, I know all of his flaws, but to me he's still more of a cornerstone for a blue line than Mike is. I think Komisarek is the second guy you bring in after that great puck distributor such as Brian.

Even 6M seems a little high for Mike to be honest with you. And I'm a huge fan of his. But with this market you never know what might happen next summer. Hopefully he won't get there.

Old
10-10-2008, 12:04 PM
KT7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
He's definately the type of player *some* NHL team would overpay for on the open market. An offer approaching six large a season long term would not be out of the question. He and Brian Rafalski are my top pairing for the U.S. Olympic team in 2010!
I'd say 5.5M on a long-term, and worth every cent of it.

Not the flashiest guy in the league but definitely one of the more effective D-men on there.

Similarily to Volchenkov on Ottawa - these guys will never get the "huge" payday persay because of their roles, but I'm fine with that!

KT7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 12:04 PM
Scrambllllle

5.5mill with NTC

Scrambllllle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 12:05 PM
rudethedude66

hed easily get 5yrs @35 million on the open market

rudethedude66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 12:07 PM
GoodKiwi

What's a comparable defenseman out there? Is Hannan close with his 4.5m? Take inflation and cap raise and a million more does not see bad. But 5y/35M? No chance he gets that.

Old
10-10-2008, 12:07 PM
matt trick

I think Atlanta would offer 6. Hainsey, Enstrom, and Bogosian are all relatively offensive, so Komarisek would provide a good compliment to any of them. I also think LA, New Jersey, and Philly would be very interested. He is also young, extremely physical and one of the best defensive d-men in the game. That said I bet Montreal locks him up for around 4.5-5.25.

Also, if he gets to be Markov's triggerman on the PP his offensive numbers will go through the roof. A 35 point year to go along with physicality and strong defensive play, look out, he would be probably the most desired defensive UFA next year.

matt trick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 12:08 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Well, Campbell did not get 8M (just over 7M AFAIR)...
Notice how I said "put in a bit of inflation"? Campbell himself would get $1M+ more next year than he got this year. (Under the same kind of inflationary trends we've seen to date under the new CBA, anyway... but perhaps the economy will change all that).

Old
10-10-2008, 12:10 PM
matt trick

Quote:
What's a comparable defenseman out there? Is Hannan close with his 4.5m? Take inflation and cap raise and a million more does not see bad. But 5y/35M? No chance he gets that.
He isn't quite as good as Hannan defensively, but he is younger, far more physical, and has some untapped offensive potential. However, I think that is as good of a comparison as there is. I also agree he will make more than Hannan.

matt trick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 12:11 PM
Riffo*

3.5-4.0

Riffo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 12:11 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Hannan might have had more rep going back to his Team Canada years, but it was also clear that he had plateaued (or worse). Komisarek doesn't have the rep (yet), but he is also perceived to have some untapped upside still. But comparables might not work. He might be a trend-setter. I'm hoping he takes a hometown discount the way guys like Volchenkov and Regehr did, instead. (Although of course it's far too much to ask that it be of quite the same magnitude as Volchenkov's).

Old
10-10-2008, 12:15 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

4-4.5 million.

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 12:16 PM
KesseltoLupul

5 Million. Max.

KesseltoLupul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 12:16 PM
GoodKiwi

To think about it both Regehr and Volchenkov do seem closer to Komisarek than Hannan is. Great examples there Blind Gardien!

How many UFA years will Volchenkov's contract stretch for?

And I'd be psyched if Mike got 4m as Regehr did.

Old
10-10-2008, 12:20 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
Notice how I said "put in a bit of inflation"? Campbell himself would get $1M+ more next year than he got this year. (Under the same kind of inflationary trends we've seen to date under the new CBA, anyway... but perhaps the economy will change all that).
Offensive defensemen also tend to get more more than defensive defensemen (even though each equally important to a team).

Barney Gumble is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 12:20 PM
Beakermania*

I'd go as high as 5.5million a year for him... and lock him up long term...

I'd love to get him for less... but 5.5 seems fair value given inflation and his status on the team and in the league.

Given his style of play, (number of blocked shots and hits) I wouldn't go longer than 5 years and would feel more comfortable with 4 years. You can reevaluate things and sign an extension then if he is still healthy.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 12:28 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayzed1 View Post
I'd say 5.5M on a long-term, and worth every cent of it.

Not the flashiest guy in the league but definitely one of the more effective D-men on there.

Similarily to Volchenkov on Ottawa - these guys will never get the "huge" payday persay because of their roles, but I'm fine with that!
I actually think he is better than Volchenkov because he is far more consistent.

He is probably going to get 5 - 6 million on a six or seven year deal.

10-10-2008, 12:28 PM
superstar436

Roman Hamrlik got 5.5 for 4 yrs ( considerable overpayment even though I wanted hima and he is a good dman) and he was 34-35 when he signed that deal. Komi provides less offense, but more physical play and he is 26.

He will also compare himself to phillips, jay mckee, orpik , scott hannan, volchenkov. All of these guys make 3.75 and more. His agent will claim that he is better than all of the above and that he provides the same type of play as hamrlik who is on the team, plus the fact that he will become a UFA.

Anything less than 4.75 M for Komi is not gonna happen.

superstar436 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 12:32 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Completely agree. I think people will be very surprised by how much money this fellow is going to get.

And, as a poster above said, he'll be worth every penny as well.

Darth Milbury is offline   Reply With Quote