HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nobody seems to be talking about...

Closed Thread

Old
06-29-2004, 05:38 PM
Fletch

vCash: 500
Nobody seems to be talking about...

the UFA signing frenzy that starts this Thursday. What are we all scared of the lockout and questionable CBA status.

Old
06-29-2004, 05:52 PM
Balej20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
the UFA signing frenzy that starts this Thursday. What are we all scared of the lockout and questionable CBA status.
I'm hoping we steer clear of the UFA signing frenzy.

Old
06-29-2004, 06:12 PM
Fletch

It's impossible and improbable..

the team is just too green as it stands. While I'm not suggesting the Rangers go out and sign guys up for $10 million, I am saying there are a couple signings that need to be done. There'll be plenty of room for youth after the signings, I believe. The youth needs to be surrounded by some vets. Of course, why would any vet want to come here, a question for which I personally do not have an answer.

Old
06-29-2004, 06:13 PM
Fish

Quote:
For me it's the fear of what has gone before...

As for the teams, well there have been several that have indicated they're going to be patient and may not even be willing to sign much in the way of free agents before they know what direction the CBA is heading.

Personally I'm more interested to see who on the RFA front isn't going to be qualified...

Old
06-29-2004, 06:41 PM
Potted Plant

Send a message via AIM to Potted Plant
Quote:
I think "frenzy" is really putting too much of a spin on it. I think teams are going to be much more cautious this time around. Signings will probably trickle through rather than come in an immediate torrent as we've seen in years past. We may, in fact, see very few signings before the expiration of the CBA.

Old
06-29-2004, 06:42 PM
Balej20*

The only real guy i wanna see them get is Conroy, that way we have a legit Number 1 center man, I don't want Lindros back

Old
06-29-2004, 08:00 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
the team is just too green as it stands. While I'm not suggesting the Rangers go out and sign guys up for $10 million, I am saying there are a couple signings that need to be done. There'll be plenty of room for youth after the signings, I believe. The youth needs to be surrounded by some vets. Of course, why would any vet want to come here, a question for which I personally do not have an answer.
I don't expect there to be more than three signings - a center (most likely the return of Lindros), another forward (one of Barnaby or Simon) and a d-man (most likely Jiri Slegr).

Last edited by jas: 06-29-2004 at 08:08 PM.
Old
06-29-2004, 08:12 PM
Servo

Yeah, Conroy is the only one who particularly interests me, but I doubt we'll get him. He might end up somewhere like Atlanta.

Old
06-29-2004, 08:22 PM
Balej20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Servo
Yeah, Conroy is the only one who particularly interests me, but I doubt we'll get him. He might end up somewhere like Atlanta.
If Atlanta lands him, watch out for them, that team is gonna be sick. I'm predicting a strong push for the playoffs this yera by them, possibly taking the Islanders seed

Old
06-29-2004, 08:27 PM
Servo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej20
If Atlanta lands him, watch out for them, that team is gonna be sick. I'm predicting a strong push for the playoffs this yera by them, possibly taking the Islanders seed
Yeah, I like how that team is built. According to Spector's Trade Rumors, Waddel is indicating they have money to spend, too.

Old
06-29-2004, 08:29 PM
Balej20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Servo
Yeah, I like how that team is built. According to Spector's Trade Rumors, Waddel is indicating they have money to spend, too.
Oh wow, what a fun team that is gonna be to watch with all that talent. And there is an example of a team DEEP in goaltending.

Old
06-29-2004, 08:34 PM
donpaulo
Capt Barry Beck

the ATL just doesn't have the horses on D to be a real player. They will score a ton of goals, but will give a ton too. If they make the playoffs they will make a quick exit. UNLESS they improve the blueline big time.
Havelid will help them, but he won't be enough.

Old
06-29-2004, 08:36 PM
Balej20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by donpaulo
the ATL just doesn't have the horses on D to be a real player. They will score a ton of goals, but will give a ton too. If they make the playoffs they will make a quick exit. UNLESS they improve the blueline big time.
Havelid will help them, but he won't be enough.
Yep, you're right, they are extremely strong up front, and amazing in goal. they should go shopping for some vet. dmen.

Old
06-29-2004, 10:05 PM
Onion Boy

The way I see it we basically need three key signings:

Top line center: Conroy has been noted, but I'm almost positive he won't sign here. My personal preference for a while has been Nylander, but after the playoffs he had, he's unlikely as well. I imagine that who we sign depends on who Jagr wants to play with. My pick is Stumpel. Why? Well I doubt he'll garner much interest from other teams, he is a decent playmaker (even if he's slow as hell), and he has the Czechoslovakian connection. Might even play well with Balej (fellow Slovak).

Top line left wing: Rucinsky gets my vote. Can play on the top line with Jagr or move down to Holik's line if a prospect REALLY impresses in camp. Basically just good all-around player to keep in the lineup.

Veteran defenseman: It all comes down to who is willing to come to the Rangers. After a subpar season and playoffs, Matvichuk might fit. Could also opt to bring back Bobo to continue as Tyutin's mentor. Slegr might fit as well. Matvichuk is my personal choice.

Possibly a veteran third liner: A guy like Barnaby would fit, but at this point I'm afraid that we're taking too many spots away from the kids. Basically I'll take Barnaby if he wants to come back. Otherwise just give the spot to a prospect.

Old
06-30-2004, 05:41 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas
I don't expect there to be more than three signings - a center (most likely the return of Lindros)
Well, that one gets shot down. :bonk:

Old
06-30-2004, 06:13 AM
Infensus

Hope we do nothing...

I figure about half of the season will be lost in the lockout. That being the case, I hope we do absolutely nothing, put the kids on the ice and get another good draft pick in the upcoming draft to continue rebuilding.

Old
06-30-2004, 11:14 AM
Fotiu22

Send a message via AIM to Fotiu22
I was wondering what everyone thought this free agent season will be like... do you think the owners will sign anyone before there is a resolution to the CBA? to sign someone at todays market prices when the rules will be changing tomorrow seems to be a bad idea, no?

personally, i think there will only be a few signings, and mostly fringe players, not too many big names

then again, im usually wrong, so....

Old
06-30-2004, 11:46 AM
Blueshirt13

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjb3599
The way I see it we basically need three key signings:

Top line center: Conroy has been noted, but I'm almost positive he won't sign here. My personal preference for a while has been Nylander, but after the playoffs he had, he's unlikely as well. I imagine that who we sign depends on who Jagr wants to play with. My pick is Stumpel. Why? Well I doubt he'll garner much interest from other teams, he is a decent playmaker (even if he's slow as hell), and he has the Czechoslovakian connection. Might even play well with Balej (fellow Slovak).

Top line left wing: Rucinsky gets my vote. Can play on the top line with Jagr or move down to Holik's line if a prospect REALLY impresses in camp. Basically just good all-around player to keep in the lineup.

Veteran defenseman: It all comes down to who is willing to come to the Rangers. After a subpar season and playoffs, Matvichuk might fit. Could also opt to bring back Bobo to continue as Tyutin's mentor. Slegr might fit as well. Matvichuk is my personal choice.

Possibly a veteran third liner: A guy like Barnaby would fit, but at this point I'm afraid that we're taking too many spots away from the kids. Basically I'll take Barnaby if he wants to come back. Otherwise just give the spot to a prospect.
I agree with going with 3-4 vets.

1st line center is a must and Jagr will probably have a say in it.

We need a LW but I would rather go with an experienced LW for the second line. Give some kid a chance to play with Jagr and the UFA center and put a vet LW on the second line to help Balej and whatever kid we have centering there.

A vet, crease clearing Dman would be nice but in the same sense, I could see us not touching anyone there with us having Poti, Kasp, and Rachunek as vet defensemen and the team trying to stay young.

Barnaby would be nice to add some experience but if we have Holik centering the third line, I would rather have kids (Ortemeyer and someone else) on the wings providing energy and checking. We have an abundance of them in the system so why not use them if they are ready?

Other than these moves I hope we stay as is.

Old
06-30-2004, 11:57 AM
Son of Steinbrenner

i think the rangers should sign Brad Bombardir, Mathew Barnaby, and perhaps trade for a center.

Old
06-30-2004, 12:33 PM
pld459666

UFA's to target

Conroy, Konowalchuk and a defenceman.

role players is the theme of this UFA season.

Old
06-30-2004, 12:35 PM
Blueshirt13

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666
Conroy, Konowalchuk and a defenceman.

role players is the theme of this UFA season.
Konowalchuk signed a three year deal with the Avs

Closed Thread