HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Home Opener; G3 - 10.10.08 | 7:00 PM | MSG(HD) - Chicago Blackhawks @ NY Rangers

Old
10-10-2008, 02:05 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

vCash: 500
If it gets us markers in the "W" column, I'm willing to give it a shot.

At least I'll get to watch it thanks to Center Ice having a preview weekend.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 02:07 PM
Fletch

Sorry...

back on topic - in theory, a line of Voros-Dubi-Zherdev actually sounds quite good. I personally cannot tell you how it will do considering we do not know much about Voros, who at 27, has 7 NHL goals and now is expected to pllay 16 minutes largely as a result of him getting a point in the last game, a point in which it's tough to tell he did much. Ideally, that lines not your second line with Dawes-Korps-Cally backing you up, however, as that line reminds me a bit of McKay-Holik-Brylin, minus the checking and increasing the skill somewhat, but the concept is two grinders to keep the puck in the zone/wreak havoc in front of the net and a skilled guy to help bring the puck up ice and get open for shots on goal. Does Voros have the skill? In his best pro season he netted 16 goals (AHL). He's 27 with 7 NHL goals. I'm not sure what comparison was made to Graves, but by the time Graves was 27 he topped 20 goals three times and 50 goals once. So let's not go there. I understand what Renney's looking for, but just like with Korps playing center, he may be trying to hard to do something that's not there.

Fletch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 02:08 PM
NYRMatt

vCash: 1275
6-1 otl.

Too bad we won't have the luck of that Czech opera singer by our side, I'm telling you that's the reason we won our last two.

Even so, I'm really pissed off Dan Fritsche hasn't gotten a shot at playing...

But, LET'S GO RANGERS!

NYRMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 02:09 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
I would say the results are the way they are becuase of good defense and one of the best goalies in the game (and Jagr). Not b/c of his offensive strategies, or his line combos.
Not having a team buy into his system?

That's like saying a piece of cake is good because the flour and the egg.

10-10-2008, 02:13 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post

Seriously. Who would think that Chocolate would make a Chocolate cake.

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 02:16 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GongShowHockeyNYR View Post
Seriously. Who would think that Chocolate would make a Chocolate cake.
Not my best simile. But I think the point comes across.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 02:20 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Not my best simile. But I think the point comes across.
It made perfect sense, so it wasn't bad at all. You need to have coaching to win games. Renney is one of the most underrated coaches in the NHL.......and mostly by Ranger fans.

Old
10-10-2008, 02:22 PM
DontStepanMe

Quote:

defensively he is a mastermind, he comes up w/ great defensive systems. I said that. Offensively he is a retard. he has no clue how to run an offensive system. he does not reward skilled players w/ some freedom to play their style. he does not like players taking any risks. and he isn't good at making in game changes to strategy.

it was more of Hank and Jagrs success than Renneys coaching. Remember when Hank looked like an avg goalie. This team was not a good team. This team was not going to make the playoffs last year (when the team was playing Renneys system) until Jagr got hot at the end of the year. Don't forget that. This team was not supposed to make the playoffs the first year after the lockout. but they did b/c of Lundy's stellar play and Jagrs ridiculously good season. not b/c Renney's coaching. having a Vezina candidate will always make a coach look good. If we had Hitchcock or Babcock, or Ruff or Quenville on this team I can almost guarantee that this team would be much better.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 02:24 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
we shall see but I predict that this will be a typical braindead line move by Renney that will result in a offensive inept line, until Renney changes it late in the third period.
If Dawes contributed nothing playing next to Dubi and Zherdev, as everyone says, then how can having Voros there be worse?

I really can't understand why everyone is so nuts about this. How about we let Renney and Co. (you know, the professionals who get paid to know something about hockey) make the decisions and then see if they work or not, hmm? If they don't work, so what? That's partly what the regular season is about. Seeing what kind of team you have, where the weaknesses are and trying to improve upon them.

Dawes doesn't seem to be clicking with Dubinsky and Zherdev, so Renney is seeing how Voros looks in that spot. It's not that big of a deal, and certainly not worth this much arguing about it.

GAGLine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 02:24 PM
RANGERDIEHARD

Couple of points on Voros since that's the topic that has monopolized this GDT...

My early take on the guy is that he is willing to do the dirty work in front of the net and in the corners and even dropping the gloves. That's the good news; the bad news is that he seems very weak on his skates for a guy his size and as a result he's knocked down alot.

I for one would rather see him on a third or fourth line simply because his skill set does not warrant the min's that a 2nd line player does...at least from what I've seen so far.

Nobody has mentioned how much of an early test that this will be for us tonight?
Chicago is a good team with tons of talent on their top 2 lines.

RANGERDIEHARD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 02:26 PM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Quote:
If we had Hitchcock or Babcock, or Ruff or Quenville on this team I can almost guarantee that this team would be much better.
And if we had Melrose as coach - we would go 0-82 and be very busy here on HF Boards I presume?

BBKers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 02:29 PM
Fletch

doing the dirty work isn't always enough, as we saw with Brad Isbister. Yes, scary, but he did put up better numbers than Voros.

Old
10-10-2008, 02:31 PM
mti79

vCash: 50
I love how every thread goes into the Prucha v. Dawes v. Fritsche v. Sjostrom v. Voros argument... ha ha.. I'm all for giving Voros a chance to see what he can do on the 2nd line. But why sacrifice what the 3rd line was doing? Pru-Korp-Cally was a line that was working really well together. I don't know why they broke it up so quickly. Why not put Voros on the 2nd, leave Pru on the 3rd, and put Dawes, Sjo or Fritsche on the 4th.

I'm not Renney, nor am I paid to make these decisions. If the Rangers win, thats all I care about... that, and having a hell of a good time at the home opener. Let's Go Rangers!!!!

mti79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 02:32 PM
ThirdEye

I like Voros so far an I'm glad he's getting a shot. I just hope he's not the next Isbister, in that he will only provide size and not much else.

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 02:33 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Im a happy man, this will be my 5th home opener in the past 6 seasons.

The Blackhawks are a good team, this game should be exciting.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 02:35 PM
drewfosho

Anyone still in need of tickets, check TicketMaster. I just got 2 in the 300's.

drewfosho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 02:35 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

I'm predicting it - Voros gets in front of the net, creates traffic, Zman & Dubi display a passing clinic and hit a streaking Dman for a goal. Voros gets no points but opens up some room for our creative guys to ya know, get creative.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 02:37 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
I'm predicting it - Voros gets in front of the net, creates traffic, Zman & Dubi display a passing clinic and hit a streaking Dman for a goal. Voros gets no points but opens up some room for our creative guys to ya know, get creative.
And people will say. "He doesn't deserve to be there because he's not as good as Zherdev....ramble, ramble, ramble."

Old
10-10-2008, 02:44 PM
mrhockey193195

Let's Go Rangers!!!!

mrhockey193195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 02:47 PM
danno2530

Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
Voros on the 2nd line is interesting..but he was given PT in the preseason and I thought he played very well, so why the hell not, give it a shot.

I'm pumped for tonight's game. It's my fourth straight home opener. Also, I'm looking forward to seeing the Hawks, especially Kane and Toews. It's going to be a fun night, we generally do well in our home opener, so I've got faith.

But meh, my pick is 17-14 CHI OT win.

danno2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 02:57 PM
Fletch

CHI by a field goal? What's the over-under?

It will no doubt be an exciting game. I'm hoping the Rangers have the advantage of already playing a couple games.

Last edited by Fletch: 10-10-2008 at 03:09 PM.
Old
10-10-2008, 02:57 PM
Fireonk

With Dubinsky and Zherdev playing a 2 man passing game, Dawes was pretty useless on that line. Voros at least will screen the goalie and draw some attention.

Would rather see Prucha on that 3rd line over Dawes but I definitely can see it working out with Korps/Cally doing the work along the boards and backchecking and Dawes sneaking around the slots looking for the pass.

Fireonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 03:14 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Guys, Prucha being in or out of the lineup will not have an impact on the game or even the season. I personally am tired of him so obviously I want to see somebody else get a shot.

I understand a lot of you guys get attached to lines and hate to see them mixed and matched ad nauseum.

But Renney, for the most part, has kept line integrity the best he could. Just watch other teams play. they shift guys around like crazy.

I am no huge fan of Renney, but 3-straight 90-win seasons while not only developing our future but integrating them into the everyday lineup is something we rangers fans have never been used to. In fact, i don't think it has been done by a winning Rangers team since 1989-90 (Mallette, Leetch, Janssens, King, Miller, Broten, Richter etc)

Six games in nine days is a whopper. I am sure a diligent tactician like Renney will have whoever is playing prepared for the tough parts of the schedule. Besides, all the players love and respect the guy.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 03:27 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
he may be trying to hard to do something that's not there.
This. 100 times, this.

Again, it's like playing Isbister with Jagr or something.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 03:33 PM
peanutbuttacallytime
#therightway

leaving soon..lets go boys!...the garden is ready!!

peanutbuttacallytime is offline   Reply With Quote