HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Randy Jones (UPDATE -- Scheduled absence reduced -- Post #139)

Old
10-10-2008, 05:30 PM
Breeze 44

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel Banker View Post
i was wondering why they didn't take a more aggressive approach toward the shoulder injury too? wasn't the shoulder injury from 2-3 weeks ago?

hopefully the recovery will only be like 8-10 weeks.
does anyone remember how long gauhtier was out when he had his labrum surgery 2 seasos ago?
actually the torn labrum is in his hip...like Nitty just had repaired......and Kaktus I was referring to your comment about concussions......

Breeze 44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 06:04 PM
40oz

Just throwin it out there.... Oilers defenseman Matheiu Roy just got put on waivers. Hes big, moves the puck decently, has a solid shot and can chuck the knuck... But he may have the worst luck of any Oiler in recent history (untimley injuries ect).

So with a crowded Oilers blue line has reportedly been put on waivers today, with the injuries to Jones and Parent he may be a solid short term pickup to shore up the blueline.

40oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 06:15 PM
mm6492

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40oz View Post
Just throwin it out there.... Oilers defenseman Matheiu Roy just got put on waivers. Hes big, moves the puck decently, has a solid shot and can chuck the knuck... But he may have the worst luck of any Oiler in recent history (untimley injuries ect).

So with a crowded Oilers blue line has reportedly been put on waivers today, with the injuries to Jones and Parent he may be a solid short term pickup to shore up the blueline.
Mathieu Roy
6'2" 214
7th Round Pick

30 career games played
+/- -7
57 PIM
Currently has a hurt hand from a fight
Salary: $500,000

Just seems like another 6/7

mm6492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 06:27 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm6492 View Post
Just seems like another 6/7
You're not going to get anyone different this time of year.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 06:45 PM
mm6492

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
You're not going to get anyone different this time of year.
yea pretty much. Just trying to give a quick scout report since I ahdn't seen much of him

Also, we will hopefully make a play for someone at the trade dealine

who are some upcoming Defensive FA's on crappy to below average teams who couyld be available come deadline time

Old
10-10-2008, 08:16 PM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breeze 44 View Post
actually the torn labrum is in his hip...like Nitty just had repaired......and Kaktus I was referring to your comment about concussions......
Historically Flyers medical stuff can not recognize concussion,n now Jones was sitting out all pre-season because labrum is in his hip? What is so complicated?

Get it done.

****.. Zherdev scored..

NYR lookinf good or Huet stinks..

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 08:41 PM
lancer247

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breeze 44 View Post
i was talking about parent's injury...I don't know who made the concussion comment but no big deal...

It seems both parent and jones injuries could have been handled more aggressively and they would both be about a month into their recovery...

again does anyone remember how long gauthier was out when he had his shoulder surgery...it was long but i don't think it was three months so hopefully the flyers are just being overly cautious

lancer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 10:04 PM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
yea pretty much. Just trying to give a quick scout report since I ahdn't seen much of him

Also, we will hopefully make a play for someone at the trade dealine

who are some upcoming Defensive FA's on crappy to below average teams who couyld be available come deadline time
by the time the trade deadline rolls around jones oughta be playing again. it wouldn't make sense to make a move then unless things had been catastrophically awful to/at that point.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2008, 10:28 PM
chimrichalds18
the key

don't know if this has been posted anywhere else but jones is out 12-16 weeks now according to panaccio

chimrichalds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2008, 10:47 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimrichalds18 View Post
don't know if this has been posted anywhere else but jones is out 12-16 weeks now according to panaccio
Yeah, they just had it on the flyers.nhl.com as well in the On The Fly section. What I don't understand is, if all the players had physicals, how could something like this go undetected. It just doesn't make sense, especially when they said how severe and how serious the damage was to Jones' hip. Seriously, something has to be done with that medical and conditioning staff in Philadelphia. Groin injuries and torn hip labrums are becoming the norm around here.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2008, 11:44 PM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

No Parent and now no Jones till after the Allstar game? Eminger and Sbisa are going to really develop rapidly to make up for this

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2008, 11:48 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
Well, they have to do something. Sbisa is not going to last the whole season if they keep him, it would be very foolish and frankly selfish to do so past the 9 games. You don't know quite yet what you have in Eminger. You got guys in the minors, use them.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2008, 11:54 PM
Jester

Berard would be nice right about now.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 12:03 AM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Berard would be nice right about now.
we need defenseman who play defense

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 12:07 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDu View Post
we need defenseman who play defense
Right now we're trotting out:

Timonen
Coburn
Vaananen (played 20 minutes tonight...)
Eminger
Sbisa (18 y/o)
Kukkonen

We need competent NHL defensemen...given the lack of attention during the offseason to really fixing this problem, paired with the pair of injuries...we're beggars, not choosers.

Old
10-12-2008, 02:27 AM
PhilaFlyers

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDu View Post
we need defenseman who play hockey
Fixed

PhilaFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 02:44 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Right now we're trotting out:

Timonen
Coburn
Vaananen (played 20 minutes tonight...)
Eminger
Sbisa (18 y/o)
Kukkonen

We need competent NHL defensemen...given the lack of attention during the offseason to really fixing this problem, paired with the pair of injuries...we're beggars, not choosers.
Vaananen didn't play bad tonight, neight did Coburn or Timonen. Hell, Sbisa was even better than a healthy Randy Jones tonight. What I truly don't understand though is why Lasse Kukkonen only got 8 minutes of ice time. You want to know what's wrong with the defense, well just look at that and compare his ice time to what Timonen got (30:19 of ice time).

This isn't an issue of we need competent NHL defensemen. We have them. It might be an untested and inexperienced group outside the top three of Coburn, Timonen and Vaananen, but there is talent there in the six guys that are currently dressed.

At the same point, I'm not going to fret after one game, because that's exactly what it is - one game. However, if the Flyers start the season winless after five games and if the ice time remains the same for the six guys, then it's time to scrap the entire coaching staff and bring in someone who can get some sort of marginal system put in place in which young players are protected and shielded from doing too much, the number one guy on the D isn't going to have to log 30 minutes a game of ice time, and the number six guy isn't going to get 8 minutes of ice time.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 06:00 AM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
The whole Kukkonen/Kimmo thing is just absurd. Okay Kukkonen sucked it in the first period, but you have to stick with him, Kimmo playing 30 minutes just cannot, cannot continue.

Also, I think Coburn can play more than 20 mins, bump him to 22-23 and put Kimmo in the same range.

Also Jester, Homer has no real way of legislating for 2 huge injuries before the season starts. Going into the year we had Kimmo, Coburn, Parent, Jones, Vaananen, Kukkonen, Eminger, Guenin.

That's 8 guys with NHL experience who are probably NHL quality d-man (jury's still out on Guenin).

Considering that a lot of people were expecting Parent to become a No.4 by season's end, that was a pretty huge blow and I know nobody here is Jones biggest fan, but the guy is a solid No.5 in the league who can give a quality 18 minutes.

In addition, if you think Berard would bring any actual D to this team, you should watch some game tape. Berard doesn't exactly set the world on fire defensively unfortunately.

I dunno, Eminger made mistakes last night for sure, but so did everybody and I think some of the turnovers can be attributed to the fact that it was the 1st game and it's still not clear whether we have a system or not.

The guy looks talented though, he's good-sized, skates well, and doesn't seem afraid to take the body. The talent is obviously there and considering Stevens' previous track record with young guys, I don't think it's too outlandish to assume that Eminger could become a decent contributor.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 07:14 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Well, they have to do something. Sbisa is not going to last the whole season if they keep him, it would be very foolish and frankly selfish to do so past the 9 games. You don't know quite yet what you have in Eminger. You got guys in the minors, use them.
It would be selfish to keep him for 9 games.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 09:51 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
Also Jester, Homer has no real way of legislating for 2 huge injuries before the season starts. Going into the year we had Kimmo, Coburn, Parent, Jones, Vaananen, Kukkonen, Eminger, Guenin.
Yes he does, get better depth on your team...so that when you lose two 3rd pairing defensemen it doesn't turn an 18 y/o rookie D into a key part of your plans. As has been noted ad nauseum, the only way that list of players you just trotted out is acceptable is in a sunny place where everything works out perfectly. It isn't going to work out that way.

Players are going to get hurt. You need to have depth to cover for that when it happens. We don't have any real depth. The fact that we are so quickly into this problem is squarely on Holmgren. Do the injuries to Jones and Parent suck? Absolutely...but it's hockey, guys are going to get hurt.

Old
10-12-2008, 11:10 AM
mm6492

Quote:
Yes he does, get better depth on your team...so that when you lose two 3rd pairing defensemen it doesn't turn an 18 y/o rookie D into a key part of your plans. As has been noted ad nauseum, the only way that list of players you just trotted out is acceptable is in a sunny place where everything works out perfectly. It isn't going to work out that way.

Players are going to get hurt. You need to have depth to cover for that when it happens. We don't have any real depth. The fact that we are so quickly into this problem is squarely on Holmgren. Do the injuries to Jones and Parent suck? Absolutely...but it's hockey, guys are going to get hurt.
Jones played good in the playoffs and Parent was supposed to step us this year. I think he esxpected Jones to be the #3 with that contract

Timmonen-Coburn
Jones-vananen
Parent-eminger

now we have

timmonen-coburn
xxx-vananen
xxx-eminger

so he splits coburn and timmonen and trys to kmake up for its.
We could use a trade right about now or someone to step up and play good

Old
10-12-2008, 11:19 AM
FlyHigh

Quote:

Yes guys are going to get hurt, but you are looking at 2 guys who were expected to be big, big contributors this season. I mean, if you take off any 2 members of any team's top-6 in the NHL, that team will be experiencing some trouble.

I mean, I just pointed out that we have 8 NHL d-men in the organization, not including Sbisa. How many more do you want, 10? You're expecting 3 NHL d-men to be happy playing for the Phantoms?

If the organization expects Sbisa to be important, I think they're insane, but what are they supposed to say publicly?

"We lost 2 expected members of our top-6 D, so Luca is a stopgap solution while we desperately try to get another veteran in here." Somehow I don't think that would be great for his confidence.

As I said in the GDT, it seems like we finally have some pieces. Eminger definitely looks talented and while I'm not a big Stevens guy, he is pretty good at developing young talent.

I dunno, we need to work on the team D and cutting down on turnovers, but I think there are the makings of a good defense in this group, I was particularly impressed with Vaananen who I thought played a very solid 20 minutes.

Old
10-12-2008, 11:30 AM
mm6492

who would come up from the phantoms?? guenin?? someone else?

Old
10-12-2008, 11:36 AM
FlyHigh

Quote:
who would come up from the phantoms?? guenin?? someone else?
I'd go Guenin, I think he's probably a guy who can come up and play 15-16 decent minutes.

Old
10-12-2008, 11:40 AM
mm6492

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
I'd go Guenin, I think he's probably a guy who can come up and play 15-16 decent minutes.
who would be option #2- syvert?