HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Edler signs 4-year extension 3.25M/year

Old
10-10-2008, 05:55 PM
Peter Griffin

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
the Dallas offer was 2 years
St.Louis also offered Mitchell 4 years, $16M before they signed Jay McKee.

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 05:55 PM
Rayne*

This deal is downright laughable.

Rayne* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 05:56 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayne View Post
This deal is downright laughable.
Care to explain?

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 06:03 PM
RewBicks

He has no idea what he's talking about. Edler already plays well enough night in and night out to earn that amount. I feel more secure about this contract than I did about Bieksa's.

RewBicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 06:03 PM
Rick Sanchez
Wub a lub a dub dub

Sounds like a good deal for both sides.

The Canucks get to lock up their best young defender for 4 more years at a reasonable rate of 3.25. Edler gets a sense of stability, and gets paid. Love how all the nuck defenders are all signed to reasonable contracts, considering all the albatrosses that get signed in UFA.

Rick Sanchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 06:07 PM
Vyse64
N64

vCash: 611
Send a message via MSN to Vyse64
not a great deal, not a bad deal

UFA status after the extension ends, now with 4 Canucks d-men getting 3+ million next season, 5 with Ohlund re-signed and he'll likely get 5 million or more, let's see if Ohlund will really take the hometown discount this time around (not very likely if you ask me).

Vyse64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 06:08 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
Mitchell took our $3.5M/y offer over Dallas' $4M/y offer.
I fail to see how that is a case of somebody sticking around though.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 06:10 PM
anguscertified
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
Ohlund and who else?
Mitchell had a few offers better than the Canucks. Already been covered.

Salo left a lot of money on the table when he re-signed. A defenseman like him (even with the injury problems) gets 5 million easily.

anguscertified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 06:14 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by HemskyFreak83 View Post
not a great deal, not a bad deal

UFA status after the extension ends, now with 4 Canucks d-men getting 3+ million next season, 5 with Ohlund re-signed and he'll likely get 5 million or more, let's see if Ohlund will really take the hometown discount this time around (not very likely if you ask me).
I don't know why people even think this is a worry.

It might be if "3+ million" meant $5mill or more deals... that's not the case here...

I also doubt that Ohlund would even ask for $5mill... he's taken discounts on previous contracts and he doesn't want to go anywhere else... with Salo and Mitchell already taking less to sign in Vancouver, it would be a surprise if Ohlund didn't do the same.

If you add up those 5 contract (assuming Ohlund signs for about $4mill, making him the highest paid guy on the blueline), that's a total of $18mill for the top 5 guys.... I don't see how that's even a problem??

Edmonton's top 5 make $19.2mill this year (and that will go up with the #5 guy getting a raise next season).... as an oilers fan, do you think that's a concern? even if Ohlund signs for $5mill next season, the top 5 will still make less than Edmonton's top 5 guys!!

when your highest paid guy on the blueline is getting $3.75mill, it's easy to lock up 5 guys all in the same range... when you have your top 2 guys both making more than $5mill, having 5 dmen making over $3mill each becomes a lot tougher.

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 06:14 PM
Rayne*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
Care to explain?
A guy who hasn't even played 100 NHL games is somehow worth $3.25M/year? Seems to be the way the NHL is going now.

Rayne* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 06:18 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
A guy who hasn't even played 100 NHL games is somehow worth $3.25M/year? Seems to be the way the NHL is going now.
you're right... that is the way of the new NHL... that's why calling this deal being "laughable" is laughable in itself!!

It's a very fair deal, considering the contracts given to other young players over the years... Edler is already a top 4 dmen, and his development has been at an insane pace over the past few years... no reason to think he's plateaued now. If he has, it's a fair deal for what he currently brings to the lineup... but considering his age and current development, it should be a great deal in only a year's time, till the end of it.

Old
10-10-2008, 06:21 PM
1234rer

Quote:
He will be over 100 by the time his new contract is in effect, I have notice nothing but negative comments by you, what's the deal? Every time something good happens to another Canadian team here you come around. Insecurities?

1234rer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 06:26 PM
pitseleh

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO View Post
If you add up those 5 contract (assuming Ohlund signs for about $4mill, making him the highest paid guy on the blueline), that's a total of $18mill for the top 5 guys.... I don't see how that's even a problem??
Exactly. Other teams with above average defenses have nearly as much or more tied up in their top-5:

NYR - $17.1 million
Det - $21.5 million
SJ - $17.4 million
Ana - $16.7 million
Mon - $16.5 million
Cal - $20.4 million
Fla - $18.9 million

Hopefully a continued influx of young talent up front will allow the team to keep it's group together.

pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 06:28 PM
Vyse64
N64

vCash: 611
Send a message via MSN to Vyse64
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO View Post
I don't know why people even think this is a worry.

It might be if "3+ million" meant $5mill or more deals... that's not the case here...

I also doubt that Ohlund would even ask for $5mill... he's taken discounts on previous contracts and he doesn't want to go anywhere else... with Salo and Mitchell already taking less to sign in Vancouver, it would be a surprise if Ohlund didn't do the same.

Edmonton's top 5 make $19.2mill this year (and that will go up with the #5 guy getting a raise next season).... as an oilers fan, do you think that's a concern? even if Ohlund signs for $5mill next season, the top 5 will still make less than Edmonton's top 5 guys!!

when your highest paid guy on the blueline is getting $3.75mill, it's easy to lock up 5 guys all in the same range... when you have your top 2 guys both making more than $5mill, having 5 dmen making over $3mill each becomes a lot tougher.
Ohlund might be getting his last chance to really cash in on his next contract and if I was his agent I would be looking to put the screws to Vancouver since Ohlund has been great to Vancouver over the years taking those discounts.

And I do have a problem with the defense getting over-paid on Edmonton, Grebeshkov and Smid needs to be re-signed but Grebeshkov is going to be a bit of problem IMO, if he asks for 3 million or more I would hope they consider trading Grebeshkov himself or someone like Staios to try to keep salary down as much as possible with the top 3 of Visnovsky, Souray and Gilbert getting paid like they are.

Vyse64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 06:36 PM
Aqualung

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankyFourFingers View Post
Mitchell had a few offers better than the Canucks. Already been covered.

Salo left a lot of money on the table when he re-signed. A defenseman like him (even with the injury problems) gets 5 million easily.
Don't know about easily. Certainly could've made more than $3.5 million on the open market if Finger gets that much.

Aqualung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 06:44 PM
Hyperkookeez*

good on gillis getting this done

Hyperkookeez* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 06:52 PM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Man with this signing the Bieska trade rumors are just going to fly everywhere now. If Bieska gets traded I say Vancouver resigns Ohlund.

thadd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 07:57 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Ohlund might be getting his last chance to really cash in on his next contract and if I was his agent I would be looking to put the screws to Vancouver since Ohlund has been great to Vancouver over the years taking those discounts.

And I do have a problem with the defense getting over-paid on Edmonton, Grebeshkov and Smid needs to be re-signed but Grebeshkov is going to be a bit of problem IMO, if he asks for 3 million or more I would hope they consider trading Grebeshkov himself or someone like Staios to try to keep salary down as much as possible with the top 3 of Visnovsky, Souray and Gilbert getting paid like they are.
guess you don't know Ohlund's situation in Vancouver too well?

he's stated many times before he doesn't want to play elsewhere, and the biggest reason is his child's special medical treatment in Vancouver... he's said he's comfortable with the situation there and doesn't want to disturb it by going elsewhere.... having said that, nothing is for certain, and I'm sure he'll move if he has to, but it's clear he doesn't want to, and should take a discount to stay.

but even if he doesn't - paying Ohlund $5mill a year, the canucks still have a total of $19mill spent on their top 5 - just under $20mill for their top 6... the average team in the NHL is currently spending just over $18mill on their defense - that's the current NHL average.

as pitseleh noted above, there are several teams that are paying more for their defense... so how exactly is it a problem being just above the NHL average mark in how much a team spends on their defense?

I think you have to consider the savings that you have when you pay your top 2 guys $3.75 and $3.5mill respectively and not the $5-6mill or more than some teams are paying their top guys.

like I said, as it is right now, the Oilers are paying more now than the canucks will for their defense next season, with Edler's extension kicking in and a $5mill contract to Ohlund - if that even happens!! and that's not even considering raises for Smid and/or Gerbs... so really, how it is a problem paying $20mill for your top 6, when the average team in the league (which includes all those teams that can't afford to be anywhere near the cap) is currently paying $18.059mill for their defenses??

Old
10-10-2008, 08:02 PM
wahoyaho

vCash: 1058
If Canucks somehow get Ovechkin for future considerations, people will still be turning this into something negative towards the Canucks. Just let it go lol.

wahoyaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 08:17 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
I should have asked in my last post... but I was a bit confused by this statement...

do you think that the Oilers defense is currently over-paid.... or are you suggesting that they'd be over-paid next season if Grebs and/or Smid are retained??

you do realize that their current defense makes more than the canucks defense with Edler's extension and Ohlund at even $5mill (and I'd be willing to bet that he signs for less than that!).

also... how do you feel about Gilbert's deal? he's getting paid $4mill/yr, and is signed for 5 yrs, but that includes this year... Edler's deal is at $3.25mill/yr for the next 4yrs after this year.

Old
10-10-2008, 08:18 PM
orcatown

The way Bieksa played against Calgary he is not getting traded anywhere. He was the best defenseman on ice and that absolutely includes Phaneuf. Ohlund was excellent but I think if you watch a replay you'll see Bieksa was better.

orcatown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 08:30 PM
myrocketsgotcracked

Quote:
Originally Posted by State of Hockey View Post
How about taking things in context. The uncertainty is expecting Edler to re-up just because a couple other Canuck defensemen did a few years ago. That's no guarantee, especially when we're talking about a young player that will hit free agency in his first season of eligibility. That's when they're most likely to bolt. See "Malone, Ryan".

I think the moral of the story is that Edler's deal is one year too many. He's the real winner here. He gets a contract that will pay him well now and even more when his value is at its absolute highest.
i hear you, i'll be insecure about UFAs leaving my team too after losing 2 key pieces left this summer, and a franchise player rejecting a $80M contract just so he can leave too.
instead of worrying about uncertainty in 5 years, how about appreciating the certainty that edler will now be playing for the canucks for the next half a decade, and avoid the uncertainty of being proach as a RFA the coming summer??

Quote:
yes, after years of taking discount on his contract while in his prime, ohlund will now suddenly wake up and realize he need to "put the screw" on the nucks and ask for a huge raise, while he is now on the downside of his career. yeah, that makes so much sense.

myrocketsgotcracked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 08:34 PM
JannikAtTheDisco
No panic it's Jannik

Quote:
Alright I'll relate to something you can understand. Andrei Kostitsyn has played 112 games in the NHL. You are saying that if he signed a new contract today, it would be worth less than 3 mill? Hell it'd be worth 4 probably...

Price has played half a season, you think he'd get under 4 mill? Not a chance...

Age doesn't matter as much as talent buddy.

JannikAtTheDisco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 08:38 PM
pitseleh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Kesler View Post
Alright I'll relate to something you can understand. Andrei Kostitsyn has played 112 games in the NHL. You are saying that if he signed a new contract today, it would be worth less than 3 mill? Hell it'd be worth 4 probably...

Price has played half a season, you think he'd get under 4 mill? Not a chance...

Age doesn't matter as much as talent buddy.
Kostitsyn just signed a $3.25 million/year (over three years) contract this past off season.

pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 08:48 PM
AMGETR*

$3.25M is a little pricey, but you KNOW he would get $4M+ from any other team...

AMGETR* is offline   Reply With Quote