HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Alex Edler signs four-year contract extention $13million or 3.25 per year

Old
10-10-2008, 05:33 PM
SedinFan*

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to SedinFan*
You guys, I informed you of the numbers back on page 1 or 2.

SedinFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 06:09 PM
Bubbles
Tank for Tyler2016

Time to grab an Edler jersey before it comes fashionable.

Bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 06:49 PM
JonnyCash

Perfect signing, the gillis does it again!

Please lock up Burrows on a 5 year 11 million dollar!

JonnyCash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 06:51 PM
Ernie

Locking up Burrows long term?

If you think that Burrows is ever going to be worth more than $2m in his career, you're seriously delusional.

Given his limited upside, locking him up for more than a couple of seasons at a time could seriously hamstring the Canucks. What happens when the next little ***** disturber comes along and displaces him for a quarter of the money?

I don't have a problem with giving Burrows the type of contract that Johnson is earning at the end of the season if he still deserves it. But only once salary room is allocated to the truly core performers.

If they renewed everyone based on how they played last night, the Sedins would be looking at $8m each, Ohlund would be easily looking at $6m, and Bernier would be looking at $5m. The team payroll could easily add up to $100 million!

But last night is only one game, and Burrows is still only a good 3rd line winger no matter how many castles you build in the sky. Remember, it was only a year ago that there was question as to whether he'd play another NHL game in his career.

Love the Edler deal still, BTW. Can't help but think that they would have saved a bit of coin if they'd locked him up a few months ago. But that's small potatoes.

Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 06:51 PM
Edler Statesman*

I think Gillis should wait until the rough estimates are in for next season's cap numbers before he commits too much money to future seasons. That is, don't sign extensions for Ohlund or the Sedins until at least March.

A lot of experts are predicting a drop in the salary cap level soon. With the recent US economic downturn it's very possible.

Edler Statesman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 06:57 PM
Ernie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyCash View Post
Please lock up Burrows on a 5 year 11 million dollar!
See, this is exactly the type of stupid suggestion that I'm talking about in my above post.

This is the exact type of pressure that JFJ gave in to when he handed Darcy Tucker that ridiculous contract. Now the Leafs are paying him $1m a year for the next 6 years to play on another team.

Good thing Gillis is running this franchise, and not the fans!

Old
10-10-2008, 06:57 PM
monster_bertuzzi

Burrows could get 4 or 5 years at 1.5-1.75 but nothing more than that.

monster_bertuzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 07:02 PM
SedinFan*

Send a message via MSN to SedinFan*
Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi View Post
Kesler's going to be the tough one to lock up. If Fisher can get 4 million, Kesler will easily get around that.

SedinFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 07:11 PM
Ernie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carcillo View Post
I think Gillis should wait until the rough estimates are in for next season's cap numbers before he commits too much money to future seasons. That is, don't sign extensions for Ohlund or the Sedins until at least March.

A lot of experts are predicting a drop in the salary cap level soon. With the recent US economic downturn it's very possible.
Yes, it's an almost certainty that we're headed into a recession. On top of that, the Canadian dollar, whose rise contributed to much of the cap rise, has now fallen about 25% from it's peak.

What does that mean? That Canadian teams, who have been in the top 10 largest revenue earners in the league since the lockout, are facing a 25% drop in revenues this season. Spread that out around the league, and we could see that cause about a $3m reduction in the salary cap next season.

Some hockey markets are going to be under extreme pressure. In South Florida something like 20% of all homeowners are in default in their mortgages - how are they going to afford Panther tickets when they can't even pay for the roof over their heads? What's going to happen to the revenues in big hockey markets like Detroit, where the big 3 auto makers look like they're in their death throes? How many Rangers season tickets were held by Wall Street executives who no longer have jobs?

If I'm Gillis, I hold on tight to that salary cap space I have available next season. There are going to be some fantastic deals available in the offseason, as cap heavy and budget restricted teams are basically forced to give away good young players that they can no longer afford.

At the end of the day, if the worst happens and we end up losing the Sedins, the market conditions look great in the offseason to rebuild the front line corps.

Old
10-10-2008, 07:14 PM
Ernie

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi View Post
27 year old player with a single 30 point season?

Not even close. I like what the guy brings to the team, but you only lock up sure things, and he's far from that.

$1.5m for 2 years, and not until the offseason when economic conditions are more stable.

Old
10-10-2008, 07:28 PM
alternate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Lou View Post
I think a good comparable for Burrows is vintage Matt Cooke. We used to kinda hint at this, but it's looking like he actually will have at least that upside. I'd say you grab Burrows on 3 years at $1.75 million per year or something similar. Nobody has earned that money more.
I think Burrows has already reached vintage Cooke. down the stretch last year, Burrows played as well as Cooke at his best. maybe without the BIG hits Cooke would come up with hear and there.

I'd thought Burrows had peaked offensively last season. I figured a few years with consistant 8-12 goals, and ~25 points. but the way he's played his last couple preseason games and last night, I'm not so sure anymore. He just keeps getting better and stronger each off-season. I don't think he'll break 20 this season, but if that line keeps clicking 15+ is certainly realistic.

I'm not sure if I'd go as high as $1.75 though. he is great at what he does, but he's still a role player. I think 4 yrs @ $1.25m is a fair deal, with Burrows taking a small discount for the early contract offer. I'd go as high as 4 yrs @ $1.5m, but I wouldn't give him a NTC longer than the first two years of the contract.

If he wants more than that, then I wouldn't sign him until summer. He wouldn't be my top priority to re-sign (as much as I want him back) so I'd want to see what happens on other fronts first.

alternate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 07:28 PM
orcatown

Very reasonable deal. Edler has huge upside. One of the better young defenseman in the League as illustrated by his inclusion in the Young Guns game at the All-Star break

Nice to see all the defenseman coming in at around the same price and below market value

If Bieksa continues to play like he did last night he will be a real steal.

orcatown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 07:30 PM
JonnyCash

Let's talk about Burrows in 3 months time.

Old
10-10-2008, 07:38 PM
Ernie

um

if we're comparing Burrows to "vintage Cook", remember what happened to him?

He signed a 3 year $4.5 million contract, and never lived up to it. He got frustrated and became even more ineffective, and left with bitter things to say. He was once one of my favorite players on the team, but that contract ruined him.

You just don't sign players like that to a long term contract - there is just so little upside, and so much downside.

Old
10-10-2008, 07:42 PM
JonnyCash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
27 year old player with a single 30 point season?

Not even close. I like what the guy brings to the team, but you only lock up sure things, and he's far from that.

$1.5m for 2 years, and not until the offseason when economic conditions are more stable.

Not going to try and start an argument with you, and I'm not trying to change your opinion.

But consider a shutdown player 4 years younger than him (Same NHL experience though) Ryan Kesler.. he ended up with 37 points and people are suggesting he will get 4 million +...

Old
10-10-2008, 08:12 PM
Ernie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyCash View Post
Not going to try and start an argument with you, and I'm not trying to change your opinion.

But consider a shutdown player 4 years younger than him (Same NHL experience though) Ryan Kesler.. he ended up with 37 points and people are suggesting he will get 4 million +...
for 37 points?

The only way he gets that kind of money is if he gets 50+ points.

And that's only if he's using Hartnell as a comparison, and he demands absolute top dollar.

Old
10-10-2008, 08:20 PM
pitseleh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
for 37 points?

The only way he gets that kind of money is if he gets 50+ points.

And that's only if he's using Hartnell as a comparison, and he demands absolute top dollar.
Agreed. Hartnell was paid for his potential, people were expecting him to hit the next level offensively.

Fisher, when he got his big contract, was coming off two seasons where he was on pace for 27 goals, 53 points and 27 goals, 58 points. If Kesler can reach that level offensively while providing his defense, I'd pay him $4 million easy. But it still remains to be see whether he has it in him.

pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 08:32 PM
Ernie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitseleh View Post
Agreed. Hartnell was paid for his potential, people were expecting him to hit the next level offensively.

Fisher, when he got his big contract, was coming off two seasons where he was on pace for 27 goals, 53 points and 27 goals, 58 points. If Kesler can reach that level offensively while providing his defense, I'd pay him $4 million easy. But it still remains to be see whether he has it in him.
yup, and both those players averaged about 0.5 points per game up to that point in their careers, with multiple 20 goal seasons, whereas Kesler has averaged about 0.33 and has had a single 20 goal season (and his second best season was 10 goals).

Old
10-10-2008, 08:51 PM
Burke's Evil Spirit

Quote:

The salary cap was also 20% lower when Fisher signed his contract.

Burke's Evil Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 08:58 PM
newtonsnucks*

THink kes will fetch 4 mill?

newtonsnucks* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 09:08 PM
pitseleh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke's Evil Spirit View Post
The salary cap was also 20% lower when Fisher signed his contract.
Well then, I'd pay Kesler $5 million quite easily.

EDIT: Fisher signed his extension September last season, so the cap was 11% lower.

Last edited by pitseleh: 10-10-2008 at 09:15 PM.
pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 09:20 PM
FruityPants3*

I never want to see Kesler at over 4m. He'll be the new whipping boy so fast it'll be ridiculous.

FruityPants3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 09:35 PM
Kesler Kills Kommies

Quote:

EDIT: Fisher signed his extension September last season, so the cap was 11% lower.
5 million dollars for a third line center?

Kesler Kills Kommies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 09:45 PM
newtonsnucks*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHomelessAteMyCat View Post
I never want to see Kesler at over 4m. He'll be the new whipping boy so fast it'll be ridiculous.
No matter what we pay kesler, pyatt should and will be forever our whipping boy.

newtonsnucks* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 09:56 PM
RTN
Be Kind, Rewind

Quote:

Then Henrik Sedin deserves 8 million.

RTN is offline   Reply With Quote