HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

PGT: Habs lose season opener in Buffalo 2-1 in the SO.

Closed Thread

Old
10-10-2008, 11:17 PM
prevail

vCash: 500
Prediction for this season:
Everytime the Habs lose, ppl will celebrate and call us a terrible team
Everytime the Leafs win, it will be miracle on ice all over again

Old
10-10-2008, 11:22 PM
Slick Nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kareem View Post
He is, his hockey sense is exceptionnal. He was bashed non stop during pre-season yet was probably one of the best players on the ice tonight. Gave some sick feeds and his backhand pass reception was a thing of beauty. What a wrister too, he just needs to use it more often. The guy should not be playing bottom line minutes, he's way too smart on the ice not to play on the top 2 lines.

Too bad people won't give him the praise he's due because of their hate for one poster.
I totally agree, he made some jaw dropping plays tonight. He also seemed to have great chemistry with Lang. Wouldn't Max Pac look good on that line?

I also don't understand all the negativity I hear and read about tonight's game. I saw some flashes of excellence tonight. The team seemed nervous and rusty, but at times they looked as domminant as the Red Wings have been last year.

The only thing I really didn't like is the PP strategy. I hate to see Markov on the right side. He's at his best on the left point, not only because of his passing skills, backdoor pinching, but because he's so good at stopping clearing attempts... not to mention that he's on natural defensive side if things go wrong. Either can I understand why the A.Kost - Plex - AK aren't used as the first PP unit just like last year. I love Lang and Tanguay, but you don't change a winning combination.

I'd personnally go with the first line and Markov - Sergei (or Breezer) on the first PP (occasionnaly inserting Lang on the left wing). Then give some candy to Koivu, Lang, Tanguay, Higgins, Lats...

Old
10-10-2008, 11:24 PM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 137
Send a message via Skype™ to Le Tricolore
Dandenault > Begin.

Old
10-10-2008, 11:26 PM
Raider917

vCash: 179
whats the record for home teams in season home openers? im guessing its better than there average home records. seeing a OTL from a road team may be better than average.

Old
10-10-2008, 11:27 PM
hogtownhabsfan*

Lang was our best player. Price was great, and the rest of the squad looked rusty...

Old
10-10-2008, 11:35 PM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Nick View Post
I totally agree, he made some jaw dropping plays tonight. He also seemed to have great chemistry with Lang. Wouldn't Max Pac look good on that line?

I also don't understand all the negativity I hear and read about tonight's game. I saw some flashes of excellence tonight. The team seemed nervous and rusty, but at times they looked as domminant as the Red Wings have been last year.
Definitely agreed, I wanted to post that.

Quote:
The only thing I really didn't like is the PP strategy. I hate to see Markov on the right side. He's at his best on the left point, not only because of his passing skills, backdoor pinching, but because he's so good at stopping clearing attempts... not to mention that he's on natural defensive side if things go wrong. Either can I understand why the A.Kost - Plex - AK aren't used as the first PP unit just like last year. I love Lang and Tanguay, but you don't change a winning combination.
Another thing I wanted to mention. I also dislike Markov on the right side and not seeing the Kovy line on the ice for the first wave.
Quote:
I'd personnally go with the first line and Markov - Sergei (or Breezer) on the first PP (occasionnaly inserting Lang on the left wing). Then give some candy to Koivu, Lang, Tanguay, Higgins, Lats...
This might be the only thing I disagree with you on. I wouldn't use either Sergei or Breezer, I think having a good shooter would help. Either Hamrlik or Andrei Kostitsyn and put either Lang or Tanguay instead on the wing. Andrei Kostitsyn can do it all offensively and has a monster shot while Hamrlik even at his age is a very gifted player.

Old
10-10-2008, 11:35 PM
Cupmonger

PSSHh, you people hit the panic button way too soon... I also wish that we win every game in the season. But seriously... we all know deep down that's near impossible. Get over this loss, it's only one game and we lost in SO. It wasn't the season opening I was hoping for but it wasn't a horrible game. I don't expect us to win games 10-0. I would get bored. We are not a team of Supermen. Just a team with good players.

I saw a comment about other fan bases congratulating the Sabres, who gives a ****? They hate the fact we are overly optimistic about our team just because we happen to adore it. Our team has a huge past that none other share. Just get over the game and keep being optimistic about our season, don't let them get under your skin. Besides, you can't get a few fans get under your skin, there are Habs haters and you can't realy stop them. It's just the first game after all. The beginning of a season is usually the part where we see if things are still working as well and if changes need to be made. Don't worry bout it.

Last edited by Cupmonger: 10-10-2008 at 11:44 PM.
Old
10-10-2008, 11:37 PM
Vinceee
Go Foreurs Go!

Send a message via MSN to Vinceee
Tanguay was good, sick feed on Hammer... Koivu fanned on a couple of occasions

Lang and Price were the best players on the habs tonight

Old
10-10-2008, 11:41 PM
Slick Nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kareem View Post
This might be the only thing I disagree with you on. I wouldn't use either Sergei or Breezer, I think having a good shooter would help. Either Hamrlik or Andrei Kostitsyn and put either Lang or Tanguay instead on the wing. Andrei Kostitsyn can do it all offensively and has a monster shot while Hamrlik even at his age is a very gifted player.
I actually have not thought of this. Having Andrei and his great shot on the point would allow to have that heavy right handed shot with Lang... anyways, makes more sense than what we've seen tonight.

Old
10-10-2008, 11:44 PM
Montrealer

It was one of those games... if one of the multiple good chances go in or Lang's shot doesn't ring off the post or Kovalev is in mid-season form so his shots aren't anemic/wild, we win the game.

Trying to overanalyze the line combos at this point is a whole bucket of fail. Let's try to give it a few games and see where we are then, ok?

Old
10-10-2008, 11:46 PM
Cupmonger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montrealer View Post
It was one of those games... if one of the multiple good chances go in or Lang's shot doesn't ring off the post or Kovalev is in mid-season form so his shots aren't anemic/wild, we win the game.

Trying to overanalyze the line combos at this point is a whole bucket of fail. Let's try to give it a few games and see where we are then, ok?
THANK YOU I <3 U

Old
10-10-2008, 11:50 PM
OnePoll*

After reading all this thread, how the hell I'm the first to say that Koivu was HORRIBLE.

Too slow, flip the puck like its impossible, miss every one timer.

I can't stand the guy

(Sorry to hurt you guys, I know every habs fan loves Koivu, I don't)

Old
10-10-2008, 11:51 PM
Vicious

Send a message via MSN to Vicious
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFlyHockey View Post
After reading all this thread, how the hell I'm the first to say that Koivu was HORRIBLE.

I can't stand the guy

GTFO

Old
Ross MacLochness

Quote:
I actually have not thought of this. Having Andrei and his great shot on the point would allow to have that heavy right handed shot with Lang... anyways, makes more sense than what we've seen tonight.
You guys don't actually think Carbo would put Andrei on the point do you? I would be stunned. But I also think it could be a great move.

Old
I Hate Chris Butler
Backlund Fan Club

vCash: 50
Koivu is great, sure he doesn't put up as much points as higher profile captains, but he does one hell of a job regardless.

Old
10-10-2008, 11:54 PM
Canadian_Brewtality

It was the first REAL game for alot of guys....Tanguay only played twice all pre-season, Koivu once....

I think Komi F-ed up on the first goal

Carey was great. We made some great plays but couldnt finish, we lacked syncronism. It will come. Dont worry its one game, all the top teams "predicted" in the East lost there opening games, or werent too brilliant.

Lots of good signs out there.

Old
10-10-2008, 11:54 PM
Kriss E

I liked what I saw tonight, normal early season rust. Tanguay and Koivu also need a bit of time to find their game.
I though our D looked bad though. Breezer made quite the number of mistakes, O'Byrne needs to stick with Hamrlik, Markov looked good as always, looking foward to seeing Bouillon back there with Gorges to see if they still have the same chemistry as last year.
Even if Kosto-Lang-SK was our best line tonight, I'm looking forward to seeing Higgins back in our line up. The same applies for George.

But all in all, I thought it was pretty decent.

Quote:

I can't stand the guy

Because he wasn't. Made some mistakes, missed some chances, like every other player on our team.
Nobody was Horrible.

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 10-11-2008 at 12:04 AM.
Old
10-10-2008, 11:57 PM
NewHabsEra*

I will focus on the positives first..

Lang was great, I really like what he brings to the table..

S.Kost played a very good game too.. Kostopoulos complemented the line well, didnt look out of place..

Markov was great as usual, Price has been solid all game long..

Kovalev wasnt effective tonight, made some soft and ugly passes all the game long and kept the puck for too long at times..

Koivu was very desapointing such as Tanguay, I hope they pick their game up saturday.. I was expecting more from Latendresse..

Not Komisarek's best game as a Habs..

Brisebois was the old freaking Brisebois, I cant stand him anymore and was shocked when he heard he signed here for another year.. I hope its clear now why he has been booed in the past.. He just sucks! money wasnt the main reason..

Im not confortable with OByrne as our 4th defenseman..

I miss the Cube badly..

Not a bad performance in the whole, a pretty close game against a good Sabres team but I was definitively expecting better from alot of players..

The more I see Koivu play, the more I think its his last season as a Habs..So last chance for him to win the cup here, its up to him..

Im sorry for Begin, but his time is done..

Last edited by NewHabsEra*: 10-11-2008 at 12:11 AM.
Old
10-10-2008, 11:59 PM
Corey

Many different views on the game were expressed in this thread. I didn't find a single one that made me nod in agreement. I thought the Habs just didn't click well overall. Their shooting was for the most part inaccurate and many passes were intercepted or broken up. I was concerned about Price but he played well and handled some difficult shots. The only player who left me with a lasting sour taste was Brisebois, starting with the time he was knocked down behind the net and threw a weak punch that cost him a penalty.

I wish Higgins and Bouillon had been playing and Brisenois kept out. I think Bégin hurt the team more than Dandenault.

Last edited by Corey: 10-11-2008 at 12:06 AM.
Old
10-11-2008, 12:01 AM
Russeltown

I can't wait for today's game. Yesterday was a practice.
Andrei and Alexei will score big goals tonight

And Theo has been pulled out of the game...

Old
10-11-2008, 12:09 AM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:

I can't stand the guy

I second that... Koivu looks like a guy who has no strength anymore and hasnt the energy to compete in this league anymore.. He had no jump tonight, he was known for his skating, puckhandling, playmaking abilities and grit but it was some years ago.. Right now he looks weak and empty..

Old
10-11-2008, 12:10 AM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryI View Post
Guys, it's ****ing hilarious how Bruins and Sens fans go on the Sabres PGT and congratulate them...I mean, wow...
Neither franchise has anything to cheer about, don't worry. The Sens with 0 Cups and the Bruins with no Orr. Let them have this if they want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsArea View Post
I second that... Koivu looks like a guy who has no strength anymore and hasnt the energy to compete in this league anymore.. He had no jump tonight, he was known for his skating, puckhandling, playmaking abilities and grit but it was some years ago.. Right now he looks weak and empty..
How many preseason games did he play? There's a reason why he isn't in game shape.

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 10-11-2008 at 12:30 AM.
Old
10-11-2008, 12:18 AM
Vicious

Send a message via MSN to Vicious
Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
How many preseason games did he play? There's a reason why he isn't in game shape.
Does it matter? He preaches that message every ******* year.

Old
10-11-2008, 12:19 AM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicious View Post
Does it matter? He preaches that message every ******* year.
Yeah it does matter. When you are limited to 2 preseason games because you are INJURED, there is a difference.

Old
10-11-2008, 12:20 AM
Cupmonger

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Neither franchise has anything to cheer about, don't worry. The Sens with 0 Cups and the Bruins with no Orr. Let them have this if they want.
Seriously, who gives a **** about the few fans that go to other threads to congratulate them. I mean it's not as if we don't have alternate teams we cheer for in other games. Sure we might not all go to the extent of going some other teams board, but really... who gives... I'm usually happy to see other teams in our division losing most of the time (except for the leafs vs wings, i thought that was funny). Fans get too serious bout just one game, and most don't know how to expect player/team performances. Give it a break, it still is dawn, and we're a bit rusty. Give us time to get up, it'll come. The only time we sleep is at the end of the playoffs.

Closed Thread