HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

PGT: Habs lose season opener in Buffalo 2-1 in the SO.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-10-2008, 11:17 PM
  #101
prevail
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,848
vCash: 500
Prediction for this season:
Everytime the Habs lose, ppl will celebrate and call us a terrible team
Everytime the Leafs win, it will be miracle on ice all over again

prevail is offline  
Old
10-10-2008, 11:22 PM
  #102
Slick Nick
Registered User
 
Slick Nick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Montréal
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 4,711
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kareem View Post
He is, his hockey sense is exceptionnal. He was bashed non stop during pre-season yet was probably one of the best players on the ice tonight. Gave some sick feeds and his backhand pass reception was a thing of beauty. What a wrister too, he just needs to use it more often. The guy should not be playing bottom line minutes, he's way too smart on the ice not to play on the top 2 lines.

Too bad people won't give him the praise he's due because of their hate for one poster.
I totally agree, he made some jaw dropping plays tonight. He also seemed to have great chemistry with Lang. Wouldn't Max Pac look good on that line?

I also don't understand all the negativity I hear and read about tonight's game. I saw some flashes of excellence tonight. The team seemed nervous and rusty, but at times they looked as domminant as the Red Wings have been last year.

The only thing I really didn't like is the PP strategy. I hate to see Markov on the right side. He's at his best on the left point, not only because of his passing skills, backdoor pinching, but because he's so good at stopping clearing attempts... not to mention that he's on natural defensive side if things go wrong. Either can I understand why the A.Kost - Plex - AK aren't used as the first PP unit just like last year. I love Lang and Tanguay, but you don't change a winning combination.

I'd personnally go with the first line and Markov - Sergei (or Breezer) on the first PP (occasionnaly inserting Lang on the left wing). Then give some candy to Koivu, Lang, Tanguay, Higgins, Lats...

Slick Nick is offline  
Old
10-10-2008, 11:24 PM
  #103
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!
 
Le Tricolore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Montreal
Posts: 27,438
vCash: 137
Send a message via Skype™ to Le Tricolore
Dandenault > Begin.

Le Tricolore is offline  
Old
10-10-2008, 11:26 PM
  #104
Raider917
Registered User
 
Raider917's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,564
vCash: 179
whats the record for home teams in season home openers? im guessing its better than there average home records. seeing a OTL from a road team may be better than average.

Raider917 is offline  
Old
10-10-2008, 11:27 PM
  #105
hogtownhabsfan*
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 4,727
vCash: 500
Lang was our best player. Price was great, and the rest of the squad looked rusty...

hogtownhabsfan* is offline  
Old
10-10-2008, 11:35 PM
  #106
Little Nilan
Registered User
 
Little Nilan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Praha
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 8,209
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Nick View Post
I totally agree, he made some jaw dropping plays tonight. He also seemed to have great chemistry with Lang. Wouldn't Max Pac look good on that line?

I also don't understand all the negativity I hear and read about tonight's game. I saw some flashes of excellence tonight. The team seemed nervous and rusty, but at times they looked as domminant as the Red Wings have been last year.
Definitely agreed, I wanted to post that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Nick View Post
The only thing I really didn't like is the PP strategy. I hate to see Markov on the right side. He's at his best on the left point, not only because of his passing skills, backdoor pinching, but because he's so good at stopping clearing attempts... not to mention that he's on natural defensive side if things go wrong. Either can I understand why the A.Kost - Plex - AK aren't used as the first PP unit just like last year. I love Lang and Tanguay, but you don't change a winning combination.
Another thing I wanted to mention. I also dislike Markov on the right side and not seeing the Kovy line on the ice for the first wave.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Nick View Post
I'd personnally go with the first line and Markov - Sergei (or Breezer) on the first PP (occasionnaly inserting Lang on the left wing). Then give some candy to Koivu, Lang, Tanguay, Higgins, Lats...
This might be the only thing I disagree with you on. I wouldn't use either Sergei or Breezer, I think having a good shooter would help. Either Hamrlik or Andrei Kostitsyn and put either Lang or Tanguay instead on the wing. Andrei Kostitsyn can do it all offensively and has a monster shot while Hamrlik even at his age is a very gifted player.

Little Nilan is offline  
Old
10-10-2008, 11:35 PM
  #107
Cupmonger
Registered User
 
Cupmonger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Armenia
Posts: 3,277
vCash: 500
PSSHh, you people hit the panic button way too soon... I also wish that we win every game in the season. But seriously... we all know deep down that's near impossible. Get over this loss, it's only one game and we lost in SO. It wasn't the season opening I was hoping for but it wasn't a horrible game. I don't expect us to win games 10-0. I would get bored. We are not a team of Supermen. Just a team with good players.

I saw a comment about other fan bases congratulating the Sabres, who gives a ****? They hate the fact we are overly optimistic about our team just because we happen to adore it. Our team has a huge past that none other share. Just get over the game and keep being optimistic about our season, don't let them get under your skin. Besides, you can't get a few fans get under your skin, there are Habs haters and you can't realy stop them. It's just the first game after all. The beginning of a season is usually the part where we see if things are still working as well and if changes need to be made. Don't worry bout it.


Last edited by Cupmonger: 10-10-2008 at 11:44 PM.
Cupmonger is online now  
Old
10-10-2008, 11:37 PM
  #108
Vinceee
Go Foreurs Go!
 
Vinceee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Amos, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,411
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Vinceee
Tanguay was good, sick feed on Hammer... Koivu fanned on a couple of occasions

Lang and Price were the best players on the habs tonight

Vinceee is offline  
Old
10-10-2008, 11:41 PM
  #109
Slick Nick
Registered User
 
Slick Nick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Montréal
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 4,711
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kareem View Post
This might be the only thing I disagree with you on. I wouldn't use either Sergei or Breezer, I think having a good shooter would help. Either Hamrlik or Andrei Kostitsyn and put either Lang or Tanguay instead on the wing. Andrei Kostitsyn can do it all offensively and has a monster shot while Hamrlik even at his age is a very gifted player.
I actually have not thought of this. Having Andrei and his great shot on the point would allow to have that heavy right handed shot with Lang... anyways, makes more sense than what we've seen tonight.

Slick Nick is offline  
Old
10-10-2008, 11:44 PM
  #110
Montrealer
Registered User
 
Montrealer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Chambly QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,456
vCash: 500
It was one of those games... if one of the multiple good chances go in or Lang's shot doesn't ring off the post or Kovalev is in mid-season form so his shots aren't anemic/wild, we win the game.

Trying to overanalyze the line combos at this point is a whole bucket of fail. Let's try to give it a few games and see where we are then, ok?

Montrealer is offline  
Old
10-10-2008, 11:46 PM
  #111
Cupmonger
Registered User
 
Cupmonger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Armenia
Posts: 3,277
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montrealer View Post
It was one of those games... if one of the multiple good chances go in or Lang's shot doesn't ring off the post or Kovalev is in mid-season form so his shots aren't anemic/wild, we win the game.

Trying to overanalyze the line combos at this point is a whole bucket of fail. Let's try to give it a few games and see where we are then, ok?
THANK YOU I <3 U

Cupmonger is online now  
Old
10-10-2008, 11:50 PM
  #112
OnePoll*
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,364
vCash: 500
After reading all this thread, how the hell I'm the first to say that Koivu was HORRIBLE.

Too slow, flip the puck like its impossible, miss every one timer.

I can't stand the guy

(Sorry to hurt you guys, I know every habs fan loves Koivu, I don't)

OnePoll* is offline  
Old
10-10-2008, 11:51 PM
  #113
Vicious
Registered User
 
Vicious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,690
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Vicious
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFlyHockey View Post
After reading all this thread, how the hell I'm the first to say that Koivu was HORRIBLE.

Too slow, flip the puck like its impossible, miss every one timer.

I can't stand the guy

(Sorry to hurt you guys, I know every habs fan loves Koivu, I don't)


GTFO

Vicious is offline  
Old
10-10-2008, 11:51 PM
  #114
Ross MacLochness
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Toronto
Posts: 6,774
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Nick View Post
I actually have not thought of this. Having Andrei and his great shot on the point would allow to have that heavy right handed shot with Lang... anyways, makes more sense than what we've seen tonight.
You guys don't actually think Carbo would put Andrei on the point do you? I would be stunned. But I also think it could be a great move.

Ross MacLochness is offline  
Old
10-10-2008, 11:51 PM
  #115
I Hate Chris Butler
Backlund Fan Club
 
I Hate Chris Butler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Saskatchewan
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,179
vCash: 50
Koivu is great, sure he doesn't put up as much points as higher profile captains, but he does one hell of a job regardless.

I Hate Chris Butler is offline  
Old
10-10-2008, 11:54 PM
  #116
Canadian_Brewtality
Registered User
 
Canadian_Brewtality's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,811
vCash: 500
It was the first REAL game for alot of guys....Tanguay only played twice all pre-season, Koivu once....

I think Komi F-ed up on the first goal

Carey was great. We made some great plays but couldnt finish, we lacked syncronism. It will come. Dont worry its one game, all the top teams "predicted" in the East lost there opening games, or werent too brilliant.

Lots of good signs out there.

Canadian_Brewtality is offline  
Old
10-10-2008, 11:54 PM
  #117
Kriss E
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 23,176
vCash: 500
I liked what I saw tonight, normal early season rust. Tanguay and Koivu also need a bit of time to find their game.
I though our D looked bad though. Breezer made quite the number of mistakes, O'Byrne needs to stick with Hamrlik, Markov looked good as always, looking foward to seeing Bouillon back there with Gorges to see if they still have the same chemistry as last year.
Even if Kosto-Lang-SK was our best line tonight, I'm looking forward to seeing Higgins back in our line up. The same applies for George.

But all in all, I thought it was pretty decent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFlyHockey View Post
After reading all this thread, how the hell I'm the first to say that Koivu was HORRIBLE.

Too slow, flip the puck like its impossible, miss every one timer.

I can't stand the guy

(Sorry to hurt you guys, I know every habs fan loves Koivu, I don't)
Because he wasn't. Made some mistakes, missed some chances, like every other player on our team.
Nobody was Horrible.


Last edited by Habs10Habs: 10-11-2008 at 12:04 AM.
Kriss E is offline  
Old
10-10-2008, 11:57 PM
  #118
NewHabsEra*
 
NewHabsEra*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 10,695
vCash: 500
I will focus on the positives first..

Lang was great, I really like what he brings to the table..

S.Kost played a very good game too.. Kostopoulos complemented the line well, didnt look out of place..

Markov was great as usual, Price has been solid all game long..

Kovalev wasnt effective tonight, made some soft and ugly passes all the game long and kept the puck for too long at times..

Koivu was very desapointing such as Tanguay, I hope they pick their game up saturday.. I was expecting more from Latendresse..

Not Komisarek's best game as a Habs..

Brisebois was the old freaking Brisebois, I cant stand him anymore and was shocked when he heard he signed here for another year.. I hope its clear now why he has been booed in the past.. He just sucks! money wasnt the main reason..

Im not confortable with OByrne as our 4th defenseman..

I miss the Cube badly..

Not a bad performance in the whole, a pretty close game against a good Sabres team but I was definitively expecting better from alot of players..

The more I see Koivu play, the more I think its his last season as a Habs..So last chance for him to win the cup here, its up to him..

Im sorry for Begin, but his time is done..


Last edited by NewHabsEra*: 10-11-2008 at 12:11 AM.
NewHabsEra* is offline  
Old
10-10-2008, 11:59 PM
  #119
Corey
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 3,300
vCash: 500
Many different views on the game were expressed in this thread. I didn't find a single one that made me nod in agreement. I thought the Habs just didn't click well overall. Their shooting was for the most part inaccurate and many passes were intercepted or broken up. I was concerned about Price but he played well and handled some difficult shots. The only player who left me with a lasting sour taste was Brisebois, starting with the time he was knocked down behind the net and threw a weak punch that cost him a penalty.

I wish Higgins and Bouillon had been playing and Brisenois kept out. I think Bégin hurt the team more than Dandenault.


Last edited by Corey: 10-11-2008 at 12:06 AM.
Corey is offline  
Old
10-11-2008, 12:01 AM
  #120
Russeltown
Registered User
 
Russeltown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,526
vCash: 500
I can't wait for today's game. Yesterday was a practice.
Andrei and Alexei will score big goals tonight



And Theo has been pulled out of the game...

Russeltown is offline  
Old
10-11-2008, 12:09 AM
  #121
NewHabsEra*
 
NewHabsEra*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 10,695
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFlyHockey View Post
After reading all this thread, how the hell I'm the first to say that Koivu was HORRIBLE.

Too slow, flip the puck like its impossible, miss every one timer.

I can't stand the guy

(Sorry to hurt you guys, I know every habs fan loves Koivu, I don't)
I second that... Koivu looks like a guy who has no strength anymore and hasnt the energy to compete in this league anymore.. He had no jump tonight, he was known for his skating, puckhandling, playmaking abilities and grit but it was some years ago.. Right now he looks weak and empty..

NewHabsEra* is offline  
Old
10-11-2008, 12:10 AM
  #122
le_sean
Registered User
 
le_sean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ottawa
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 15,048
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryI View Post
Guys, it's ****ing hilarious how Bruins and Sens fans go on the Sabres PGT and congratulate them...I mean, wow...
Neither franchise has anything to cheer about, don't worry. The Sens with 0 Cups and the Bruins with no Orr. Let them have this if they want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsArea View Post
I second that... Koivu looks like a guy who has no strength anymore and hasnt the energy to compete in this league anymore.. He had no jump tonight, he was known for his skating, puckhandling, playmaking abilities and grit but it was some years ago.. Right now he looks weak and empty..
How many preseason games did he play? There's a reason why he isn't in game shape.


Last edited by Habs10Habs: 10-11-2008 at 12:30 AM.
le_sean is offline  
Old
10-11-2008, 12:18 AM
  #123
Vicious
Registered User
 
Vicious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,690
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Vicious
Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
How many preseason games did he play? There's a reason why he isn't in game shape.
Does it matter? He preaches that message every ******* year.

Vicious is offline  
Old
10-11-2008, 12:19 AM
  #124
le_sean
Registered User
 
le_sean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ottawa
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 15,048
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicious View Post
Does it matter? He preaches that message every ******* year.
Yeah it does matter. When you are limited to 2 preseason games because you are INJURED, there is a difference.

le_sean is offline  
Old
10-11-2008, 12:20 AM
  #125
Cupmonger
Registered User
 
Cupmonger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Armenia
Posts: 3,277
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Neither franchise has anything to cheer about, don't worry. The Sens with 0 Cups and the Bruins with no Orr. Let them have this if they want.
Seriously, who gives a **** about the few fans that go to other threads to congratulate them. I mean it's not as if we don't have alternate teams we cheer for in other games. Sure we might not all go to the extent of going some other teams board, but really... who gives... I'm usually happy to see other teams in our division losing most of the time (except for the leafs vs wings, i thought that was funny). Fans get too serious bout just one game, and most don't know how to expect player/team performances. Give it a break, it still is dawn, and we're a bit rusty. Give us time to get up, it'll come. The only time we sleep is at the end of the playoffs.

Cupmonger is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:06 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.