HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lindros...

Closed Thread

Old
06-30-2004, 09:42 AM
drewcon40

vCash: 500
Lindros...

Flyer fans: I am a Ranger fan who comes in peace.

Carl Lindros spoke publically for the first time since August 2001:

http://www.nypost.com/sports/rangers/26624.htm

Anyway, what are your opinions on the Lindros/Clarke fued 3 years later? I read and saw all the TV and internet opinions when it was fresh but as I watched Lindros over the past 3 seasons, he clearly wasn't the player he was for you guys but I remember thinking that Carl Lindros has been awfully quiet.

Old
06-30-2004, 09:50 AM
dedalus

The situations aren't comparable. In Philly Carl and Bonnie Lindros were trying to dictate policy to Flyers' management. That has never been the case in NY. I suspect that Clarke's utter confounding of them taught them a valuable lesson about keeping their nose out of the business side of their son's business.

What you have here is Carl mouthing off after the fact, and quite frankly there's nothing he says that isn't 100% true. He's griping, yes, but he's also telling it exactly like it is. That wasn't the case where the Flyers were concerned.

Old
06-30-2004, 10:10 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewcon40
Anyway, what are your opinions on the Lindros/Clarke fued 3 years later?
I would say Clarke won. He has Kim Johnsson, and was lucky on an impulse to deal Jan Hlavac before really hitting rock bottom. Brendl brought us Kapanen, and Brashear has been good enough for the organization, if we trade him we'd probably get a better draft pick than what we would have traded for him.

Old
06-30-2004, 10:22 AM
drewcon40

Oh yeah, I know the Rangers are a mess. I am not sure if you guys saw the NY prospective of the deal but the NYR fans wanted nothingt o do with Eric Lindros. Kim Johnnson was one of our better defenseman. Johnsson is so much better than Poti. Sather, the genius, after trading Johnnson, then traded the popular Mike York for Poti.

Brendl - he may have been a bust but was an asset at the time. He was the main prospect that I believe Clarke wanted.

Clarke turned the "dead weight" of that trade into Brashear and Kappanen.

You guys won that trade, clearly.

Hey, at least we got Hlavac back

Old
06-30-2004, 10:24 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
Just read the article. The Rangers are smart on this...the option year is $10.25 million. $10.25 million! 32 points in 39 games, is good, but it's not $10.25 million good.

Next up: The Lindros show in Toronto.

Old
06-30-2004, 10:30 AM
stanley

I'm actually quite shocked. I would never have guessed that Carl had harsh words for an organization while Eric threw out a bunch of harmless cliches that clearly spell out "I just want to be one of the guys and play hockey but I can't get out of this oppressive family." Pretty soon, Eric's going to have to start counting on his other hand the number of organizations with which he'll never get a return invitation.

(Actually, I get the impression the family is tight-knit. However, I question some of the "help" they give each other from time to time.)

As for Brendl, I am certain the guy Clarke wanted was Johnsson. It was no small secret that the Flyers needed a defenseman like Johnsson. Acquiring Brendl seemed more like Sather's wish than Clarke's.

Old
06-30-2004, 10:36 AM
Toonces
The beer kitty

I think Johnsson was always the guy that Clarke was shooting for. Just watching him durring his last year with the Rangers, I knew he'd be very good (but not as good as he turned out) for us.

As for the Carl and Co. The Rangers were never going to pick up that option. It was a horrible deal for them because Lindros only had to show up to get it. I am supprised however that the Rangers are not going to make any effort to sign him now, but since the orginization is rebuilding, I guess it makes sense.

I'd say next stop, Toronto, but I don't think even they will bite.

Old
06-30-2004, 10:47 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
I can see Lindros signing a cheap contract (Kariya to COL like) with the Leafs

Old
06-30-2004, 10:50 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1433
A lost component in all this is the departure earlier this week of John Worley who was the object of Eric Lindros' wrath from a medical standpoint. I saw where Worley "left" the organization. I was a fan of Lindros in his Flyers' days but I lost respect for him when he criticized Worley in a public forum. I don't think that was proper since a behind-the-scenes worker is handcuffed in these situations from defending himself. With the involvement of the family, it was best for all to move on. The fact that Bob Clarke had limited options with whom to offer Lindros made the final result all the more impressive.

Old
06-30-2004, 11:18 AM
Steve L*

So how about getting him back to get LeClair back into form?

Old
06-30-2004, 11:34 AM
Rex88

The Lindros family sickens me. I will not even waste any more time on specifics for this cancerous family.

Old
06-30-2004, 11:56 AM
budscweizer16

Send a message via AIM to budscweizer16
i think he will go to Detroit, Toronto already has 3 high priced guys to sign, and the redwings have wanted him for years, also losing Hasek will free up a little money, i still think Lindros can be good agaain, or decent. if he plays as hard as he can and gets a lot of luck not getting hurt he can still put up 60+ in my mind. the one reason he isnt as good as his early philly days is b/c after getting concussion after concuission he dosent play with as much intensity, he needs to bring that back. if not he can expect for another 60 game 30 point season.

Old
06-30-2004, 12:09 PM
Teezax

I miss Eric Lindros, but certianly not Carl or Bonnie.

Old
06-30-2004, 12:22 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
I dont miss any of them, Ranger and Flyer fans for most part can agree. good ridance up in Toronto.

Old
06-30-2004, 01:14 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve L
So how about getting him back to get LeClair back into form?

I think there's a better shot Elvis Presley will be in a Flyers' uniform before Eric Lindros returns to the organization.

Old
06-30-2004, 02:15 PM
MojoJojo

I predict that with all the free agents available, his injury history, plus the likelihood of a salary cap of some sort when the puck drops again, Big E wont ever see the kind of pay check he has become accustomed to. I bet he retires.

Old
06-30-2004, 02:30 PM
renberg

Its amazing to see Flyers and Rangeres fans agreeing on anything and here it is Lindros. He is an albatros around any organizations's neck. The Flyers improved when he left and so will the Rangers. The baggage that he brings is too much for his team mates to bear. It has to putrify a locker room.

Old
06-30-2004, 03:57 PM
drewcon40

The funny thing is, as I said before, Ranger fans wanted nothing to do with the trade in 2001. The trade leaked out a little less than a week before the official announcement that August. Internet message boards and other Ranger fans that heard the "rumor" were all in agreement that acquiring Eric Lindros was a bad idea.

As I have read, you fans seem to love Kim Johnnson (as did we).

Brendl was selected 4th overall just 2 years prior and was still a sought after prospect. He was rumored to be in every typical Ranger deal for <INSERT SUPERSTAR PAST HIS PRIME'S NAME>. While I credit Sather (rare moment) for not holding onto him too long, Brendl was the top ranked prospect in our organization (which is an indication how bare our cupboard was (is?)?

Hlavac was coming off his second, fairly successful season as a 2nd line winger on the Czech mate line with Petr Nedved and Radek Dvorak.

I give Clarke a lot of credit for making this deal, Johnsson for Lindros alone looks like a lopsided deal.

Closed Thread