HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Anze Kopitar agrees to 7-year extension with Kings

Old
10-11-2008, 10:38 AM
Beauty, eh?
Not sure if serious.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
On another note this means that angry L.A fans looking for Lombardi's head (oooh boy have I met TONS of them) have to shut the hell up.
Seriously....when Johnson is signed, a lot of them will have to eat some crow.

Beauty, eh? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2008, 10:40 AM
voxel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauty, eh? View Post
It's sexual tension....give the kid a break, he's only 21 and she's hot. I can't blame him.
I don't blame him at all. I think those two should just get it on! On camera! With the fancy-smancy Center Ice multiple cameras too.

voxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
rajuabju

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Papa Joe View Post
I'm assuming they were already negotiating, but the Kings didn't want Kopitar to sign first, then have the O'Sullivan camp use it as a comparable.
Who knows, but certainly this may be a strong possibility.

I hope its for 5+ years, and I have a feeling it will be.

rajuabju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Hale The Villain

vCash: 50
Quote:

Hale The Villain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2008, 10:44 AM
BringTheReign

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Makes you wonder how this got done so fast, yet it took all summer to get O'Sullivan locked up.
I think Sully's agent was dragging his feet because there really wasn't a set number for his contract. There were plenty of comparables with mostly overpaid contracts and his agent wanted to get as much out as possible and probably thought that the longer he took the more likely DL was to break and sign him for a lot of money.

Kopitar's contract was probably already somewhat in place as to how many years and how much he was going to get. He is the guy leading the offense for LA and DL was most likely already willing to reward him accordingly.

BringTheReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2008, 10:44 AM
VanCity Millionaires

vCash: 480
No real suprise here. They obviously had this done and waiting in the wings once O'Sullivan signed. I gather they didn't want the O'Sullivan camp to be able to use any part of this deal as a bargining chip, so it was kept under wraps until now.

My guess 4 Yrs - 5.25 per

VanCity Millionaires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2008, 10:47 AM
Face Wash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo View Post

Face Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2008, 10:55 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
at least 5-6 years.

I think Kings will be very active next off season.
Not if it was anything like their last "active off season," which gave them Calder, Preissing, and Handzus.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2008, 10:55 AM
Beauty, eh?
Not sure if serious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensational Spezza View Post
That looks about right. Hopefully some of the naysayers won't survive the ordeal.

Beauty, eh? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2008, 10:57 AM
thrillhous

Great news for Kings fans.

thrillhous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2008, 11:08 AM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Makes you wonder how this got done so fast, yet it took all summer to get O'Sullivan locked up.
Does it really? Maybe some people should start giving more credence to reports that it was O'Sullivan's agent that was the problem and not Kings' management.

Great news regarding Kopitar. I am hoping for 6 years, just like Brown. I think the fact that this got done so soon in the process means that it could be a long term deal. Let's hope so.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2008, 11:24 AM
SJeasy

Sullivan's agent is Meehan. Look at the history between Lombardi and Meehan. IMO, it would be better if Lombardi settled the issues with Meehan or the Kings will be in for some heartache. Meehan has a lot of players in his stable . . . and yes, he is a tough negotiator.

SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2008, 11:27 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
Quote:
Yeah, but who knows how long he's been working on this....he could have had Solomon working on one or the other simultaneously.
I actually thought it should have been top priority of the summer to get him locked up after O'Sullivan. I guess my plan fell into line

On another note, I think this has to be a big contract. Unless it's a deal to get him an extra RFA deal, I can live with that, but I think this needs to be on line with DiPietero/Richards/Ovechkin

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2008, 11:28 AM
sweatypickle

seven years.. nice!

sweatypickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2008, 11:30 AM
CBGB

This is great news - especially in light of what happened in the stock market this past week - I certainly needed something to cheer me up

CBGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2008, 11:32 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
Quote:
I've been on both sides of the fence with him.

I give credit where credit is due, but let's wait until the Kings get out of the cellar and actually have games in April mean something before we anoint him the savior. I was on board with giving him a few years even after the Cloutier disaster, but gutting the team is not the right message to send. Not to the team, nor the fans. Keep in mind they're in a market where they're not the only team in town, and they've lost a lot of fans or potential fans to the Ducks. And AEG sent out their stool pigeons during the summer to quell the storm that is annoyed Kings fans.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2008, 11:38 AM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
The Kings and Johnson alike would be daft to try to get a deal done right now because one side is going to end up not liking the contract in the very near future. Johnson is coming off a season where he didn't really play to his offensive potential but had an improved defensive game. They have a new coach coming in to evaluate what he has in Johnson and how he will be used. Johnson has had a fairly poor preseason and they need to figure out if he's in the long term plans there with some really nice prospects like Hickey, Doughty, and Tuebert.

If he explodes and scores 40-50 points this year and signs a contract in November for $3.5 million for 5 years then he's going to hate himself for signing low. If he signs for $3.5 million for 5 years and puts up an exact replica of last season then the Kings are going to hate the deal with all the defensive depth they have coming up through the system that wouldn't command that high of a premium and could do the job just about the same.

The production to skill ratio is skewed right now with Johnson and nobody likes to sign contracts in the middle of that identity crisis and that includes agents and teams alike. I would imagine that signing Johnson is on the the "to do" list as one of the first priorities next offseason but any time before then is a tremendous leap of faith by one side in my estimation.

As for the Kopitar deal, until the terms are revealed it's a fantastic sign. Provided they didn't pay more than $7 million per season over the long term then it remains a fantastic sign. He's going to keep getting better and if there are any pieces in LA that should be built around it's Brown and Kopitar.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2008, 11:40 AM
ibleedkings
Is this real?

7 Years!!!!!!!!

ibleedkings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2008, 11:40 AM
Moses Doughty
LA's offense offends

If you go to LA Kings.com, its a 7 year contract, money undisclosed so far
Woo-hoo Yea :han dclap:

2nd longest contract in team history only behind Wayne's

Moses Doughty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2008, 11:41 AM
DeveinedPgBc

7 years.now we need a number......

DeveinedPgBc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2008, 11:43 AM
sweatypickle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
The Kings and Johnson alike would be daft to try to get a deal done right now because one side is going to end up not liking the contract in the very near future. Johnson is coming off a season where he didn't really play to his offensive potential but had an improved defensive game. They have a new coach coming in to evaluate what he has in Johnson and how he will be used. Johnson has had a fairly poor preseason and they need to figure out if he's in the long term plans there with some really nice prospects like Hickey, Doughty, and Tuebert.

If he explodes and scores 40-50 points this year and signs a contract in November for $3.5 million for 5 years then he's going to hate himself for signing low. If he signs for $3.5 million for 5 years and puts up an exact replica of last season then the Kings are going to hate the deal with all the defensive depth they have coming up through the system that wouldn't command that high of a premium and could do the job just about the same.

The production to skill ratio is skewed right now with Johnson and nobody likes to sign contracts in the middle of that identity crisis and that includes agents and teams alike. I would imagine that signing Johnson is on the the "to do" list as one of the first priorities next offseason but any time before then is a tremendous leap of faith by one side in my estimation.

As for the Kopitar deal, until the terms are revealed it's a fantastic sign. Provided they didn't pay more than $7 million per season over the long term then it remains a fantastic sign. He's going to keep getting better and if there are any pieces in LA that should be built around it's Brown and Kopitar.
just sign J-Bow...

sweatypickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2008, 11:44 AM
TwzKing

Send a message via AIM to TwzKing
Happy to have him for 7 years... and he still has one more on this contract.

The Los Angeles Kings have signed center Anze Kopitar to a seven-year contact extension that will carry into the 2015-16 season, Kings President/General Manager Dean Lombardi announced Saturday. Per club policy, terms of the agreement were not announced (Kopitar has one remaining year on his current contract).

"This is really exciting and a little overwhelming to be honest," Kopitar said Saturday morning in San Jose. "I am happy to be apart of this organization for the next eight years. I can focus now on hockey-only and on doing what I want to do, which is to bring the Stanley Cup to L.A. I am also excited to remain with a great group of players who have gotten the same commitment from our organization. We are looking forward to growing together and to building something special here."

http://kings.nhl.com/team/app/?servi...ticleid=386095

TwzKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2008, 11:48 AM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweatypickle View Post
just sign J-Bow...
Somebody is going to give J-Bow about $7.5 million on the open market this offseason. I doubt the Kings want to put that kind of coin into a defenseman in his prime when they have all these assets that are coming together and growing up together that they would like to retain if possible. The Kings seem to be dedicated to building from the inside, which is smart, and that includes signing your key RFAs to reasonable contracts at high yields. If they can get Johnson locked up for 5 years at $3.5 million and he gives you above average play for two years and Bouwmeester level play for the final three of that contract then look at how much money has been saved there to sign other key aspects of the defense that are going to need their money as well. Hickey, Doughty, and Tuebert aren't going to play for free.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2008, 11:49 AM
Peter Griffin

7 years? Great for the Kings. This will end up buying up 4 years of UFA I believe, so anything less than $6M would be an absolute steal. My guess is that the cap # will be between $6-7M.

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2008, 11:50 AM
Luongo2008*

Good signing

Luongo2008* is offline   Reply With Quote