HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Alexander Nikulin to be traded soon

Old
10-09-2008, 09:30 PM
Spawn

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bugg View Post
How about Ladislav Smid? The Oilers have sent him down again after Jason Strudwick proved to be a better fit for the bottom pairing. Nikulin and Laddy share the same problem- they have the size and strength to be physical forces, but seemingly not the will. I think he'd be a nice addition to our fourth line and maybe he can be more than that.
Nikulin wouldn't make the Oilers and would be in the exact same situation he's in now. Complaining about getting sent to the AHL and then off to Russia.

Smid for Nikulin would be an absolutely brutal trade for the Oilers.

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2008, 10:01 PM
braindead

The Predators' roster spot for crybaby Russian players is free at the moment.... perhaps Tootoo could practice slashing him until the real owner of the spot returns for his punishment?

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2008, 10:20 PM
Nizdizzle
The Shanaplan.

vCash: 50
Stajan for Nikulin +?

Nizdizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2008, 10:25 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionheart View Post
Maybe the Isles if Bailey doesn't last past 10 games?
No thanks.

Character matters. Even of a team void of talent. And especially for a team seeking to build a winning mentality and culture.

NYI purged itself of sulking Russians a couple of years back. Not going to regress in that regard.

Trottier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 01:55 AM
VladNYC*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier View Post

NYI purged itself of sulking Russians a couple of years back. Not going to regress in that regard.

And has had nothing but success to show for it!

VladNYC* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 03:12 AM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladNYC View Post
And has had nothing but success to show for it!
Just as before, with the heartless punks Kvasha and Yashin. Would rather lose with professionals who give a damn like Weight and Sillinger, than frauds who steal US dollars.

Of course, you'll be treated this season to the wonderment of your own "superstar" borsch-devouring talent, who possesses a heart the size of nickle and the desire to match it.

The amazing enigmatic "Z"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yep, hitch your fortunes to that gutless, thoroughly unreliable wonder.

Must be something in the Vodka....

Last edited by Trottier: 10-10-2008 at 03:22 AM.
Old
10-10-2008, 07:06 AM
Pringles

I think Murray is only looking to trade Nikulin for a pick - I would not be surprised to see him traded for a 3rd round pick

Pringles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 08:51 AM
Pancakes Pancakes

Nikulin = Kaigorodov

Pancakes Pancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 09:24 AM
trentmccleary

Quote:
No thanks.

Character matters. Even of a team void of talent. And especially for a team seeking to build a winning mentality and culture.

I wouldn't be so quick to judge. Nikulin is here because of his all-round play, not his offensive potential. His top-end is probably of a #6-7 on a non-playoff team, a defensive conscience on a top-2 lines or offensive contributor on the bottom 2 lines.

As for his complaints, well; before the draft he had a chance to compete for a spot on this team and shortly thereafter (Ruutu, Donovan, Winchester-1way, Picard/Richardson bumping Schubert back to forward) he didn't no matter what he did in preseason, which he didn't even get a chance to participate in (0 preseason games). Since the debacle against the Ducks, this organization has been obsessed with size and toughness to the detriment of players like Nikulin.
From another teams' perspective, I wouldn't pay a lot for Nikulin... but if you have a bottom 6 in which nobody could possibly pu up 30 points and/or two 45 point players in the top-6 who can't play defense... a 3rd-to-5th rounder is worthwhile, even awesome when players like Grabovski are being traded for 2nd rounders .

Nikulin probably isn't greedy... he's just stuck in a recently-created-netherworld where the NHL pays more than the KHL which pays more than the AHL. He's a got a relatively short 15 years to decide where he should be playing to decide the rest of his life and believes that he could be playing in the best league in the world.

trentmccleary is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 09:26 AM
Hale The Villain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sexytime Explosion View Post
Nikulin = Kaigorodov
So he'll get us a guy like Mike Comrie?

Hale The Villain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 10:45 AM
pspot

Nikulin for Coliacovo?

Puck moving D Man for a fwd prospect that could play with Kulemin

pspot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 10:53 AM
Alberta Yote
Owns the Yotes

vCash: 855
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensational Spezza View Post
So he'll get us a guy like Mike Comrie?
No, he'll get you a guy like Kaigorodov.

Alberta Yote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 11:08 AM
Bileur

Tim Murray has compared him to a poor man's Spezza. Playmaking center, good vision, long reach, could work harder on the backcheck, not physical. He has decent hockey sense on both ends of the ice though.

I hope Murray can pull off something decent in a package, or an AHL defenseman, we dont need more Donovan like 4th liners.

Bileur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 11:10 AM
hummus

Ducks!

hummus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 11:52 AM
VladNYC*

Quote:
Just as before, with the heartless punks Kvasha and Yashin. Would rather lose with professionals who give a damn like Weight and Sillinger, than frauds who steal US dollars.

Of course, you'll be treated this season to the wonderment of your own "superstar" borsch-devouring talent, who possesses a heart the size of nickle and the desire to match it.

The amazing enigmatic "Z"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yep, hitch your fortunes to that gutless, thoroughly unreliable wonder.

Must be something in the Vodka....
Yes the islanders misfortunes are all Yashin's fault. Never mind the fact that the Islander organization traded away Luongo and Oli Jokinen. Never mind their prospects consist of the hockey equivalent of doc workers. Never mind the fact that the team has no vision, no system, no skill. Yes it's all Yashin's fault. A guy who put up 50+ points every full year he was with the islanders. A guy who took them to the play offs every year but one. Never mind that the guy is a 0.92 pts per game career and 0.83 pts per game with the islanders. Fans like you deserve the early golf exit.

Old
10-10-2008, 04:02 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by trentmccleary View Post
I wouldn't be so quick to judge.
Fair enough. However, my evaluation is based strictly on the idea that a guy who has proven nothing is yapping.

If you think that doesn't work against him in the eyes of NHL execs (and rightly so), we have a friendly disagreement.

I recognize we live in an delusional age of "self entitlement" but even that has limits.

Quote:
Fans like you deserve the early golf exit.
And fans like you deserve one Stanley Cup in 68 years.

You need not recite NYI's infamous track record of failures to me; I get it. Nor did I anywhere suggest that the team's wretchedness lies solely on the soft shoulders of the gutless wonder named Yashin.

However, you have to start somewhere to change things around. And purging your franchise of big mistake, big-dollar dogs, as they did two summers ago with Ms. Alt, was that start. Regardless of the outcome for this franchise now or down the road, even, they are better off without him. As such, no need to go back to the future by acquiring a self-important punk like Nikulin, who who is writing to the world on his blog how unfair life is since he hasnt been handed something. I could care less if he's a Russian, Swede, Canadian or American.

It's weak. But feel free to include that ilk on your roster. And good luck winning.

Last edited by Trottier: 10-10-2008 at 04:11 PM.
Old
10-10-2008, 04:37 PM
RoyalOverQuads

Quote:
Originally Posted by x eric x View Post
maybe the Thrashers should make a pitch for him
How about:

To ATL: Nikulin + 5th

To OTT: White

ATL gets an energy line center and paves the way for Little and Christensen on the top two lines. Also, Alexander can get his brother Ilya to finally sign with the Thrashers.

OTT gets back a familiar face and a good two-way center to help push Fisher and Kelly.

RoyalOverQuads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 08:15 PM
trentmccleary

Quote:
Fair enough. However, my evaluation is based strictly on the idea that a guy who has proven nothing is yapping.

If you think that doesn't work against him in the eyes of NHL execs (and rightly so), we have a friendly disagreement.

I recognize we live in an delusional age of "self entitlement" but even that has limits.

... As such, no need to go back to the future by acquiring a self-important punk like Nikulin, who who is writing to the world on his blog how unfair life is since he hasnt been handed something.
Cliff notes: Nikulin has worked hard in the minors to challenge for an NHL spot, but it has become clear through personnel decisions that there wasn't a spot to fight for this season, nor will there be one next season. He has no future in this organization, so either he goes home or takes one last kick at the NHL can with another organization. He's not here to be AHL roster-filler and I bet that our GM promised him a legitimate chance to make the team when he signed him.

------------------------------------------------

Over the last half decade, it started to become clear that without a transfer agreement and with ever-competitive salaries in Russia that bringing over Russian players would become more difficult unless they were going to make the NHL. So while Russians started falling in the drafts, Muckler jumped on the chance to bring in higher talents at lower draft positions. So Ottawa knows probably as well as anybody what it takes to get these guys over. They need to feel that there's a chance to make an NHL roster, because simply filling out an AHL roster is a waste of time for them.

We brought over RSL 2nd leading scorer Kaigorodov who pretty much demanded a roster spot and got it, then got demoted to the AHL to work on his game, declined his assignment to the AHL and went back home to Russia. In this case, we probably both agree.
Nikulin (and Zubov for that matter) came over last training camp, accepted their demotions to the AHL to work on their games and compete for NHL positions this season... and found out early on that there were no spots to fight for. Not only that, there really aren't any spots to fight for next season either.

Ottawa has 9 NHL forwards signed next season, not counting Alfie (option year or will be resigned), Schubert (13th forward?) and Bass (who was only sent down because we have too many players, he'll be back soon and F/T next season). That would make it 12 forwards out of 13 spots if none of these players are traded away.

Old
10-10-2008, 08:26 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by trentmccleary View Post
Cliff notes:...
Cliff notes back at you:

I am not debating a single word you posted or the reality of the player's situation.

I have commented on the choice to "air" his unhappiness.

Call me old school. I respect those who don't feel a need to make their lives, their unhaaaaaappiness everyone else's business.

Life is unfair. The kid will have to deal with it. Broadcasting his disgust does not help his cause, nor put him in a good light, IMO.

If you disagree, that's cool.

Old
10-10-2008, 08:32 PM
trentmccleary

Quote:
Cliff notes back at you:

I am not debating a single word you posted or the reality of the player's situation.

I have commented on the choice to "air" his unhappiness.

Call me old school. I respect those who don't feel a need to make their lives, their unhaaaaaappiness everyone else's business.

Life is unfair. The kid will have to deal with it. Broadcasting his disgust does not help his cause, nor put him in a good light, IMO.

If you disagree, that's cool.
Ah, I don't disagree. He shouldn't be discussing this publicly.
Then again, with Bryan Murray airing our dirty laundry every chance he gets like an old lady at the hair salon... it probably wouldn't have stayed too quiet anyways.

Old
10-11-2008, 03:43 AM
Alessandro Seren Rosso
Hockey's Future Staff

Send a message via ICQ to Alessandro Seren Rosso Send a message via MSN to Alessandro Seren Rosso
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalOverQuads View Post
ATL gets an energy line center and paves the way for Little and Christensen on the top two lines. Also, Alexander can get his brother Ilya to finally sign with the Thrashers.
They aren't brothers

10-11-2008, 03:44 AM
Alessandro Seren Rosso
Hockey's Future Staff

Send a message via ICQ to Alessandro Seren Rosso Send a message via MSN to Alessandro Seren Rosso
By the way, not much time ago, there was an interview with him in the Russian media. And he said that he could get back at CSKA (who owns his KHL/RSL) rights in case of things going bad. Maybe he knew already?

Alessandro Seren Rosso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2008, 01:47 PM
VladNYC*

TRot you are way off base here.

Nikulin has kept a transparent and truthful blog from the beginning. If you read the whole thing as many many people did, you would know that he spend last year in the AHL. You would also know that he writes that the GM gave him the impression he would be on the big club this year. You also know that Nikulin didn't get one pre season game to show where he has improved from his year in the AHL and from his intense training with Malkin and Gonchar in the summer. You would also know that he was told by Ottawa's management that "they just don't see him on the team". You would have to be a ****ing idiot to stick around in the minors when management "doesn't see you on the team". I respect Nikulin for keeping his blog truthful even in the bad times. Its what makes him a great guy. But of course, in the west, you are supposed to put the needs of the corporation before your own.

Also, I don't know why you think i am a Rangers fan. Is it because usually people talking down about the Islanders are Ranger fans? But i will say this. If by the enigmatic Z, you mean Zherdev, i don't think that the Rangers are pinning their hopes on him. I think Drury and Gomez are there for that. That said, Zherdev will be much better on the Rangers then on Columbus.

Old
10-11-2008, 03:29 PM
Laoghaire

Quote:
TRot you are way off base here.

Nikulin has kept a transparent and truthful blog from the beginning. If you read the whole thing as many many people did, you would know that he spend last year in the AHL. You would also know that he writes that the GM gave him the impression he would be on the big club this year. You also know that Nikulin didn't get one pre season game to show where he has improved from his year in the AHL and from his intense training with Malkin and Gonchar in the summer. You would also know that he was told by Ottawa's management that "they just don't see him on the team". You would have to be a ****ing idiot to stick around in the minors when management "doesn't see you on the team". I respect Nikulin for keeping his blog truthful even in the bad times. Its what makes him a great guy. But of course, in the west, you are supposed to put the needs of the corporation before your own.

Also, I don't know why you think i am a Rangers fan. Is it because usually people talking down about the Islanders are Ranger fans? But i will say this. If by the enigmatic Z, you mean Zherdev, i don't think that the Rangers are pinning their hopes on him. I think Drury and Gomez are there for that. That said, Zherdev will be much better on the Rangers then on Columbus.
In the West the individual is put above the corporation, it's why we have rights. It's really an aberation in sports that you should put the team first, though the team is different from the organization.

Laoghaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2008, 06:54 PM
Fleury14
Remember the Kipper

I can't imagine there's much demand for a guy like Nikulin... back to Russia he goes.

(smid for nikulin... lol)

Fleury14 is offline   Reply With Quote