HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Alex Edler signs four-year contract extention $13million or 3.25 per year

Old
10-11-2008, 08:15 PM
Jyrki21
Trade request DENIED

vCash: 500
When calculating players up for a new contract next season, don't forget Steve Bernier (thanks St. Louis! grrrr). If he has a killer season, that's another chunk of the cap right there.

Jyrki21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 05:27 PM
Shareefruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skanker View Post
He's only worth 1.5-2 right now. That doesn't mean he's not going to earn his contract, that's just how good he's playing right now. I'm not talking about the market, you don't need to explain the market to me, I'm just saying he's only at 1.5-2 right now for skill. Canucks are paying for his potential.
Seems to me like you have your own system in your head for judging talent that doesn't really reflect anything in reality.

I understand that home-town value ideally probably should be a LITTLE less than their open market value, but by half?

Shareefruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 05:31 PM
SedinFan*

Send a message via MSN to SedinFan*
The Canucks next offseason will be fine and able to re-sign whomever they want to...blah blah blah...blah blah....fans shouldn't worry about this stuff, things get figured out. Get through the year and then focus on the off season.

SedinFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 06:06 PM
fogducker

remember the cap will go down a couple mill if not this summer then next summer.

fogducker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 06:12 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyrki21 View Post
When calculating players up for a new contract next season, don't forget Steve Bernier (thanks St. Louis! grrrr). If he has a killer season, that's another chunk of the cap right there.
Actually, I hope that happens. If he has a fantastic season - then the Canucks likely will have had a decent season as well. Not to mention, he's a RFA. If he's too greedy - trade him or wait until somebody tries to poach him and take the multiple 1st round picks.

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 06:31 PM
Respect Your Edler
Thank You 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by fogducker View Post
remember the cap will go down a couple mill if not this summer then next summer.
Yeah... based on what exactly? Lets wait and see how the playoff ticket sales are before making such claims.

Respect Your Edler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 06:35 PM
pitseleh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
Actually, I hope that happens. If he has a fantastic season - then the Canucks likely will have had a decent season as well. Not to mention, he's a RFA. If he's too greedy - trade him or wait until somebody tries to poach him and take the multiple 1st round picks.
That or hope that other GMs feel it's an Anson Carter type situation and they stay away from poaching him.

pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 07:46 PM
Tripwyre

Quote:
I'd rather not have to go through the "Will we ever find an ideal linemate for the twins??" song and dance all over again for another half decade, thank you very much.

Tripwyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 02:19 AM
alternate

Quote:
best case scenerio for everybody is that Bernier plays to a level that makes a 3-4 year extension at around $3.5-4.5m per a no brainer for both sides. if things go half decent, we could see this line locked up for a few years at <~$15m per combined. assuming nothing crazy happens with the cap, that's pretty solid for a legit top line.

alternate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2008, 12:18 PM
Zorbane

Ehhh I hope I'm allowed to bump this after a month...

I'm just curious what people think Edler would have gotten in the old CBA. Back then RFAs didn't have much bargaining leverage and were paid much less than they were now, especially on their second contract.

It took players until almost UFA status to get paid "what they were worth".

Thought about this when thinking of the other defenseman contracts which Edler is already JUST behind on just his second contract.

Zorbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2008, 01:27 PM
anguscertified
HFB Partner

Probably $2 million or so, but the times have changed.

anguscertified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2008, 03:21 PM
CCF23

Send a message via MSN to CCF23
Or we could talk about what he would've gotten on the open market if he were a UFA after this year...A stud young defenseman like that he probably would've got a $5 million offer from some team.

CCF23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2008, 03:44 PM
pitseleh

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankyFourFingers View Post
Probably $2 million or so, but the times have changed.
Yeah, $2 million is probably on the high end too. Guys like Dan Hamhuis and Rusty Klesla (when he still had quite a bit of potential) were signing $1.6-2 million/contracts after the lockout, albeit before there was major RFA salary inflation.

pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote