HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Edler signs 4-year extension 3.25M/year

Old
10-10-2008, 08:57 PM
Burke's Evil Spirit

vCash: 500
3 250 000 dollars, or as I think of it, .50 phaneufs

Burke's Evil Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 09:12 PM
Vyse64
N64

Send a message via MSN to Vyse64
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO View Post
I should have asked in my last post... but I was a bit confused by this statement...

do you think that the Oilers defense is currently over-paid.... or are you suggesting that they'd be over-paid next season if Grebs and/or Smid are retained??

you do realize that their current defense makes more than the canucks defense with Edler's extension and Ohlund at even $5mill (and I'd be willing to bet that he signs for less than that!).

also... how do you feel about Gilbert's deal? he's getting paid $4mill/yr, and is signed for 5 yrs, but that includes this year... Edler's deal is at $3.25mill/yr for the next 4yrs after this year.
The Oilers are currently over-paid and continued to be over-paid if Grebs get a nice raise (not so worried about Smid getting a big one) and even if Grebs/Staios is traded it still is over-paid. Also as much as I like Staios, his deal is at 2.7 mill for 2 more years which I think may become a problem in the last year like Warrener (not trade able) in Calgary now.

yes I do realize the Cancuks' defense is getting paid less and I don't like it from either side (VAN or EDM), I still think Ohlund will and could get 5 million from someone or even from Vancouver.

Gilbert deal was decent like Edler's. He's getting paid for what he could do same as Edler but Gilbert's deal eats up 4 years of UFA, Edler doesn't eat up any. Both could have been better IMO.

Vyse64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 09:19 PM
parabola
Global Moderator
BOlieve dat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wantooplay View Post
$3.25M is a little pricey, but you KNOW he would get $4M+ from any other team...
If its known he would get $4M+ from any other team, $3.25 would be a bargain wouldn't it?

parabola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 09:23 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by HemskyFreak83 View Post
The Oilers are currently over-paid and continued to be over-paid if Grebs get a nice raise (not so worried about Smid getting a big one) and even if Grebs/Staios is traded it still is over-paid. Also as much as I like Staios, his deal is at 2.7 mill for 2 more years which I think may become a problem in the last year like Warrener (not trade able) in Calgary now.

yes I do realize the Cancuks' defense is getting paid less and I don't like it from either side (VAN or EDM), I still think Ohlund will and could get 5 million from someone or even from Vancouver.

Gilbert deal was decent like Edler's. He's getting paid for what he could do same as Edler but Gilbert's deal eats up 4 years of UFA, Edler doesn't eat up any. Both could have been better IMO.
so you think that being at league average (again league average is at $18.059mill for the entire defense), is overpayment?

what do you consider fair value then? there are 30 teams in the league... 14 teams have a defense that earns more than $18mill.... 11 of those defenses make over $20mill.

What exactly are you basing your "overpayment" on here exactly?

most people will have the canucks defense ranked in the top 10... even if you don't think they're that good, certainly any reasonable analysis of the canucks defense would have them around that 10 spot, would it not? if so, considering there are half the teams in the league that are spending more money on their defense, and many of those aren't even as good as the canucks defense, how is it overpayment?

maybe in your opinion paying a dman $3mill is too much... maybe paying him $1mill is too much... but that is meaningless.... what matters is what players make on the current market - that's what determines the values of players, and whether a player is overpaid or not...

considering where the canucks defense ranks overall (without a doubt above average), compared to how much they are being paid (below average), it makes no sense to consider them overpaid.

you're entitled to your opinion, but the logic doesn't add up.... not when you actually look at what dmen, and defenses overall, are being paid around the league. all I can think of is that either you're just looking for excuses to take a shot at the canucks, or you haven't actually looked at the salaries of players, and what teams are paying for their defenses across the league... because that is what you should realistically base worth on.

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 09:51 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Gilbert's deal is more comparable to Bieksa's IMO. Both are defensemen that started their careers later, after graduating university, so were a lot closer to UFA status. Both had one solid NHL season and then signed extensions buying up UFA years and paying based on potential.

Edler will be better than either d-man IMO.

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 10:11 PM
Flinch*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayne View Post
This deal is downright laughable.
But if he were playing for the Habs, Gainey would be hailed as being the smartest man in hockey for locking up a future HOFer.

Flinch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 10:29 PM
wahoyaho

Obviously this will be a sign and trade to the Habs for junk because Montreal is the brightest beacon for freedom and opportunity in the world

wahoyaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 10:38 PM
KeanuReeves

its a very good deal... Edler is worth $3.25M right now imo, and he will improve no doubt, this should be a very solid deal in years 3 and 4...

and as for Salo's discount, the guy was going to get at least $5M and there really is no doubt about it... i forget who the comparables were in that offseason but this was a Sami Salo in his prime that hadnt suffered too many injuries, and Sami Salo in his prime is a very solid dman...

and as for ohlund, even as a canuck fan i think he should go for his big payday... i really wouldnt be opposed to seeing him traded for a huge return sometime (i.e. that big 2nd line center that this team needs [j. staal if they're lucky]) this season as i think he's a better dman then redden and we all saw how much redden got, and it would be just unfair to see ohlund taking so much less

i would trade ohlund before bieksa just for that reason... i know it wont happen because its a rather selfish managerial move and i cant see the canucks doing that to ohlund (also it'll affect their team's playoff run in the short term), but that would be the ideal situation for me as i wouldnt want to see ohlund here at $5M (we need that money for offense) but at the same time some teams will offer $6M for 3 years deals at him (if pitts loses gonchar this summer[i forget if he was a ufa or not] ohlund could be a perfect piece for their playoff run this year as well as the next 3...

KeanuReeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 10:56 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

vCash: 50
Quote:
Ohlund might be getting his last chance to really cash in on his next contract and if I was his agent I would be looking to put the screws to Vancouver since Ohlund has been great to Vancouver over the years taking those discounts.
You have to keep in mind, while Ohlund's never cashed in on that big payday, he's also never played it poor (relatively speaking). Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but Ohlund never played through a rookie contract. Rather, instead of signing his rookie contract with the Canucks, he signed an offer sheet with the Leafs, 5 years $10M, which of course was matched. It ended up being a good deal for us, but Ohlund made more than other players his age made back then. Overall he's made around $30M in his career so far, which is a decent enough amount that there shouldn't be a strong desire to get that one last 'big' contract. Considering the Canucks will already pay him probably $4M anyways.

RandV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 11:53 PM
vantastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by fosterchild420 View Post
damn.today is canuck day lol.good job nonis.wonder how much?
Nonis?

vantastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2008, 11:55 PM
vantastic

They weren't resigned. Morrison would have stayed if offered a better contract. Naslund didn't even get an offer.

Old
10-10-2008, 11:57 PM
vantastic

good lord, not again...Nonis doesn't live here any more.

Old
10-11-2008, 06:48 AM
orcatown

Naslund didn't want an offer and has said New York was his first choice. This marriage was on the rocks and both parties knew it.

orcatown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2008, 01:10 PM
CM-

Quote:
Originally Posted by vantastic View Post
Nonis?
I guess his Foster Parents don't let him out much.

CM- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2008, 01:23 PM
LAX attack*

Send a message via AIM to LAX attack*
Im really glad to see that the precedent that Lowe and Holmgrem set has been somewhat reversed (in terms of inflating second contracts)

LAX attack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2008, 01:31 PM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoyaho View Post
Obviously this will be a sign and trade to the Habs for junk because Montreal is the brightest beacon for freedom and opportunity in the world
Why do you do this? Everyone is entitled to their opinion, even if it's farfetched and stupid, you have to respect that and not attack a whole fanbase like the above statement.

I think this is a great signing, and if Edler continues to play like he has, Vancouver just became THAT much better.

I hope we can settle our differences and act civil.

Jack Bourdain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2008, 01:33 PM
newtonsnucks*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sujoy View Post
Why do you do this? Everyone is entitled to their opinion, even if it's farfetched and stupid, you have to respect that and not attack a whole fanbase like the above statement.

I think this is a great signing, and if Edler continues to play like he has, Vancouver just became THAT much better.

I hope we can settle our differences and act civil.
habs fans are the worst.....

newtonsnucks* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2008, 01:34 PM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtonsnucks View Post
habs fans are the worst.....
Hate it when we're all put in the same basket...

Jack Bourdain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2008, 01:37 PM
DeveinedPgBc

kick that basket off niagara falls.lol

DeveinedPgBc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2008, 01:43 PM
Flinch*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sujoy View Post
Hate it when we're all put in the same basket...
It's not like there were only 1 or 2 people booing Briere when he didn't sign with you guys...

Flinch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2008, 03:29 PM
DFAC

Great signing by Vancouver, Edler will be a stud in the near-future.

DFAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2008, 04:48 PM
opendoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandV View Post
You have to keep in mind, while Ohlund's never cashed in on that big payday, he's also never played it poor (relatively speaking). Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but Ohlund never played through a rookie contract. Rather, instead of signing his rookie contract with the Canucks, he signed an offer sheet with the Leafs, 5 years $10M, which of course was matched. It ended up being a good deal for us, but Ohlund made more than other players his age made back then. Overall he's made around $30M in his career so far, which is a decent enough amount that there shouldn't be a strong desire to get that one last 'big' contract. Considering the Canucks will already pay him probably $4M anyways.
Yep. When Ohlund was being paid $2 million as a rookie in 97-98 and after, he was making similar or better money than Lidstrom, Niedermayer, Pronger, Jovanovski, and Redden.

I think if the Canucks want to retain him, he will probably sign for something reasonable with a NTC. Most people figure Salo left about $1 million a year on the table to stay with the Canucks and he'd only made less than $8 million in his entire career to date. I don't see why, if the Canucks treat him right, that Ohlund wouldn't do the same.

opendoor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2008, 08:25 PM
mattihp

vCash: 639
Wow. Salaries for young d-men seems to be skyrocketing. He will probably be worth it the last year of the deal or so

mattihp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2008, 08:52 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattihp View Post
Wow. Salaries for young d-men seems to be skyrocketing. He will probably be worth it the last year of the deal or so
he's worth it now... he's a top 4 dman right now in the NHL, and has been one of the better dmen on a team with some solid defensive depth.

I think that he's worth that salary now, and if not, he's very close to it. And considering how much he's improved so quickly, I have no doubt that he'd be worth that by the end of this season, if he's not already.

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2008, 10:39 PM
timw33

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO View Post
he's worth it now... he's a top 4 dman right now in the NHL, and has been one of the better dmen on a team with some solid defensive depth.

I think that he's worth that salary now, and if not, he's very close to it. And considering how much he's improved so quickly, I have no doubt that he'd be worth that by the end of this season, if he's not already.
Its hard to believe he's only making 550K this year!

timw33 is offline   Reply With Quote