HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

After Three games, who's your suprise player ..?

Old
10-12-2008, 01:00 AM
Clumsyhab

vCash: 500
Andrei "the goon" Kostitsyn. No point yet, but this guy has developed into a complete player.

Clumsyhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 01:03 AM
Mcfly11

I've got to say I'm most pleasantly surprised by Lang. I knew he'd be a relatively solid pickup, but in my opinion he's been far more than solid. He and SK are making things happen offensively, even with Kostopolous as a linemate. I love Kosto, because he always give 110%, but he's far from an offensive dynamo.

I'm not sure what i want to see when Higgins gets back....a Higgins-Koivu-Tanguay / S. Kostitsyn-Lang-Lats line combo, or a Lats-Koivu-Tanguay / S. Kostitsyn-Lang-Higgins combo. I love that we have great options for 3 offensive lines!! Its the first time I've been this excited to watch the Habs since i was 7 years old watching the '93 playoff run.

Also, I'm happy to see Halak play a solid game, and it's good to see Tanguay tally a few points! I think once Tanguay gets some confidence with the Habs under his belt, he'll be an enormous asset....the guy has unreal offensive talent...I've been a huge fan of his since he played with the Mooseheads in Halifax.

BTW this is my first post! I'm a 3 year reader, but just decided to join last week because I was ridiculously excited about this year's edition of the Habs. Cheers to a great season, and one hell of an exciting team to watch!

Mcfly11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 01:07 AM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
Once Latendresse gets more confidence, he'll shoot more. When he starts shooting more, look out.
Agreed....

I say leave him with the two playmakers (Koivu and Tanguay) he'll have to shoot.

Plus it will mean Tanguay can play LW on that line and Lats will go RW.

On the Lang line... Higgins plays LW and Sergei RW

And Absolutely leave Lats on the PP... his play infront of the net was big on a couple goals tonight.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 01:16 AM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Lang has impressed me quite a bit lately.

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 02:09 AM
Al Bundy*

Only two games and we're already dissecting our players?

That's like ranking all NFL players after week 1.

Let's wait until late October.

In 1992-93, when the Habs dropped the opener to the expansion Sens, I'll bet a lof of you were panicking.

Al Bundy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 02:48 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Bundy View Post
Only two games and we're already dissecting our players?

Let's wait until late October.

In 1992-93, when the Habs dropped the opener to the expansion Sens, I'll bet a lof of you were panicking.
we know its only 2 games... we're just responding to the thread title. We all know its very early still and there are many ups and downs ahead.

Hackett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 06:15 AM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by franchise player View Post
everyone knew that... He skates better now and that makes the difference.
That's bull****. A lot of posters were calling Lats 'nothing more than a 3rd line grinder' just this summer. A tremendous amount of Hab fans here questioned his hands.

I've said since day 1 he can be a future 40 goal scorer and an army of myopic mellonheads would laugh, saying he would be lucky to reach 30.

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 06:29 AM
Garo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Bundy View Post
Well, I could have told you at that point that the Colts would have one of the worst defence in the NFL.

Still not proven wrong. And that sucks.

Garo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 06:52 AM
BadHabit

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarfangor View Post
Lang has impressed me quite a bit lately.
Agreed...

BadHabit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 08:45 AM
Shabutie

So far;

1. Latendresse
He looks faster, but it's so much more than that. He's finding open space, he's positioning himself very well, and he's very solid physically. I was expecting him to have a good year (20ish goals) but I think he'll surpass my expectations with maybe? 30.

2. O'Byrne
Never was a fan of his, but so far he's looked quite good. He's much calmer when he's got the puck.

3. S.Kostitsyn

The kost bros are my favorite players on this team and I expect big things from both...but Sergei looks like he's matured tremendously. Looking at him last night, he looked like a 10 year vet. He's going to be a key figure on our PP and ES. There's no reason this guy should be on the third line. Out of both games, he's looked as the best forward.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 09:09 AM
ToysInTheAttic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
I've been surprised with lang somewhat

But I've really been surprised at how bad brisebois has been. I mean, I have ultra low expectations for him at the best of times, but he's trying to set the bar even lower
OK, this one cracked me up

ToysInTheAttic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 09:23 AM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post
So far;

1. Latendresse
He looks faster, but it's so much more than that. He's finding open space, he's positioning himself very well, and he's very solid physically. I was expecting him to have a good year (20ish goals) but I think he'll surpass my expectations with maybe? 30.

2. O'Byrne
Never was a fan of his, but so far he's looked quite good. He's much calmer when he's got the puck.

3. S.Kostitsyn

The kost bros are my favorite players on this team and I expect big things from both...but Sergei looks like he's matured tremendously. Looking at him last night, he looked like a 10 year vet. He's going to be a key figure on our PP and ES. There's no reason this guy should be on the third line. Out of both games, he's looked as the best forward.
When Higgins comes back, that "3rd" line might be Kosty-Lang-Higgins. I wouldn't call that a "3rd" line lol.

ChemiseBleuHonnete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 09:32 AM
Habs Icing
Formerly Onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
I've been surprised with lang somewhat

But I've really been surprised at how bad brisebois has been. I mean, I have ultra low expectations for him at the best of times, but he's trying to set the bar even lower
To paraphrase another poster: Anyone who had any kind of expectations from The Breeze should have his face punched until some sense leaks in. This is not directed at you Hackett. You just gave me the opening.

Habs Icing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 09:38 AM
habsfan56

sergei, lang and kostopolous
those 3 are playing some great hockey
sergei and lang should stay together when higgins comes back while i believe kostopolous deserves the nod over lapierre (why the **** does he never pass on 2 on 1), begin and dandenault

habsfan56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 09:39 AM
Sandvich
VERY NICE

Is there going to be a new thread when we get to 3 games?

After 3 Games who's your surprise player ?

Sandvich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 09:43 AM
Russeltown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandvich View Post
Is there going to be a new thread when we get to 3 games?

After 3 Games who's your surprise player ?
Count on me

Russeltown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 10:14 AM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
I love how On Friday people were jumping down Latender's throat for his playing. Now he's gettin praised as if hes been doing this for a while unnoticed lol

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 10:14 AM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

Latendresse.

I knew what S. Kost would be doing.. and I knew Latendresse looked great in the pre-season, but I wasn't sold. I am now.

Kostopoulos has also been just fantastic.

Bad Natey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 10:15 AM
Crusher20

Send a message via AIM to Crusher20 Send a message via Yahoo to Crusher20
at this moment, i prefer to keep my positive comments at least before tomorows game against the flyers.. we mush seek revenge.

Crusher20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 10:31 AM
RussCourtnallsGhost

S Kost for me. I was expecting 'good' to 'very' good', but he's been simply outstanding, offensively and defensively.
As for Lats, he's definitely improving, like I thought he would, but he seems to have a real problem receiving passes, I noticed him bobble more than a few crisp, tape-to-tape passes. Hopefully a bit more practice with Koivu and Tanguay will remedy this, cuz it's really important for a puck possession team like us. Otherwise, I was pretty happy with the way he played, and that pass on the Hammer goal was a beauty.

RussCourtnallsGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 10:48 AM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades 0f Steel View Post
That's bull****. A lot of posters were calling Lats 'nothing more than a 3rd line grinder' just this summer. A tremendous amount of Hab fans here questioned his hands.

I've said since day 1 he can be a future 40 goal scorer and an army of myopic mellonheads would laugh, saying he would be lucky to reach 30.
We still have people saying he played a bad game last night in other threads.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 11:09 AM
kostitsyn1489

Hamrlik hands down.

I had solid expectation for guys like Lang and Tanguay, happy to see Sergei performing so well, but i didnt doubt his skill one minute. HM to Latendresse.

As for Hamrlik, I'm kinda used to see him as more of a patient shut down guy for the second pairing, who is effective, but not too much on the PP, but wow he's all over the place. He's really playing like one of the top 15 defencemen in the league(I know it's only 2 games) he's been nearly perfect in his own end, no bad plays, amazing positioning, but that part is what he showed us all season long, but god is he so much better blue line in. He takes more shots, he goes low to help the offense more, his passes are all really solid too.

Hope he really is back to where he was offensively. It might be the first time this season that he brings his offensive game and his stellar D play at the same time.

kostitsyn1489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 11:29 AM
mcphee

I can't say anyone has surprised me, or made me change my perception in any way. I've maintained all along that S.Kost. and Lats had certain things to do keep developing, and I don't mean to sound unfair as they're both 21-22 year olds playing in a grownup league.

Both seem to be doing exactly what they should be. Lats has to be more intense, play with a bit more purpose and he seems to be doing that. My only concern with Kost. is that he doesn't fall in love with his talent level and play on the outside admiring the pass he's just made. The bar's different with him because he has vision some other guys don't. He seems to be doing that. You can't expect the power cuts his brother makes but he has to score from in close and he got one last night that way so....

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 11:32 AM
yukoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habruti! View Post
Personally I did not like Sergei Kostsitsyn that much last year but this year.. man he is impressive. Hopefully he will keep the same cruising speed for the year, but to me he looks stronger, faster seems to shoot more. He as been imo our best player after two games.
I have to agree, Sergei looks amazing this year. At this point it really looks like he's going to be the better player among the two brothers. That's not a knock on Andrei, I just see so much potential for Sergei.

yukoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 01:02 PM
hogtownhabsfan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeRo.O View Post
Lang for me

He looked slow during pre-season, but he's been great so far
My thoughts as well.

Lats and Sergei are talented youngsters so I'm not surprised by their improvement. i just hope when they struggle again, everyone doesn't just jump down throats again.

But where has been AK46?

hogtownhabsfan* is offline   Reply With Quote