HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Pavol Demetra Trade Proposals - ALL proposals go here(instead of 7 different threads)

Closed Thread

Old
06-25-2004, 04:46 PM
Marksman

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitaraholic
yep, sure is. I hardly ever read Csolak's article so I'm not surprised I missed it. I appreciate the link.
Maybe you ought to read his articles more often. There are plenty of GMs around the league thinking same way with Mr Pleau. Is it really worth keeping huge $60M payroll if someone else can make the Cup finals with little over half of that as Calgary and Tampa did this season and others teams have in recent memory. $60M is a lot of money if you're not getting much results going deeper playoffs rounds, might aswell slash salary have a few off years and get high picks, like Caps, Rangers and Hawks plan seems to be. Fans are not going to like it very much, but cant make an omelet without breaking eggs.

Old
06-25-2004, 04:49 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

True enough, Marksmen2. And, btw, St. Louis is not exactly alone in this situation. The Isles are saddled with big contracts that they can't unload, and are not even as good a team. Its not hard to forsee the Isles making the same kinds of moves to bring salary down.

Old
06-25-2004, 04:58 PM
guitaraholic*

"Maybe you ought to read his articles more often."

Uhm, okay. I'll assume you read them religiously...

Old
06-25-2004, 05:06 PM
Marksman

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimzey59
If the Blues can keep Drake they are going to. That said, you are correct in that we do not NEED to move Demitra to reduce salary. MacInnis, Mellanby, Baron, Finley and Khavanov are all likely gone. Combined they make nearly 14 mil. On top of that we have the option to ship Savage back to Phoenix and we have some smaller contracts(Martins, Rheaume, Pellerin and Mayers) that will not be back. Furthermore, Pronger is reportedly going to take a paycut down to the 7 mil range. Right there is a 19 mil drop in payroll. If we move Demitra it is for fair market value, not a salary dump. His salary hurts his value but not the point that Garon is the best return we will get.
Are you taking into consideration that many of those players dumped have to be replaced. Blues will need atleast one defenceman and couple forwards to be able to field full team and thats a big dent in savings.

Old
06-25-2004, 05:07 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

C'mon, dude. Lets stop with this ***-for-tat.

Its hard for any of us to really have a handle on whats going on in the NHL right now.

Old
06-25-2004, 05:08 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksman2
Are you taking into consideration that many of those players dumped have to be replaced. Blues will need atleast one defenceman and couple forwards to be able to field full team and thats a big dent in savings.

I have to agree with you. I honestly don't see how the Blues are going to get out of this summer without moving one of Demitra or Weight. Again, just my opinion and I am claiming no inside information.

Old
06-25-2004, 05:15 PM
Marksman

Quote:

I dont, I'm Canadiens fan and Csolak isnt writing about my team very often. Sorry, maybe I was rubbing you off too much, just tried to be witty or something I guess...

Old
06-25-2004, 05:15 PM
kimzey59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksman2

Actually, most of the palyers we are losing are depth players that will be replaced from within the system. Assuming that Weinrich resigns(even if he doesn't take a paycut) the Blues will have a D core that is 10 players deep(Pronger, Jackman, Backman, Weinrich, Salvador, Walker, Stuart, Brimmanis, Byrne and Wideman). Up front(assuming that we resign Drake and Sillinger) we will need 2 everyday wingers. We are looking at adding maybe 4 mil up front(we will not be going after high priced FA's, we will look at cheap FA's like Johansson, Ruchinsky and Arvedsson). That still leaves around 15 mil in saving coming off this years salary. Again, there is no urgent need to deal Demitra.

Old
06-25-2004, 05:19 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimzey59
Actually, most of the palyers we are losing are depth players that will be replaced from within the system. Assuming that Weinrich resigns(even if he doesn't take a paycut) the Blues will have a D core that is 10 players deep(Pronger, Jackman, Backman, Weinrich, Salvador, Walker, Stuart, Brimmanis, Byrne and Wideman). Up front(assuming that we resign Drake and Sillinger) we will need 2 everyday wingers. We are looking at adding maybe 4 mil up front(we will not be going after high priced FA's, we will look at cheap FA's like Johansson, Ruchinsky and Arvedsson). That still leaves around 15 mil in saving coming off this years salary. Again, there is no urgent need to deal Demitra.

Let's assume you are correct and the Blues are going to save 15 million with the decribed moves (and not add salary through moves like the signing of draft picks, etc). If Pleau's statement that he might move "more than 10 to 20 million" (see the link above) is true, that still leaves you with a signficant deficit. In fact, if you numbers are correct, and the Blues are looking to move in the range of 20 million, one of Weight or Demitra is almost certainly gone in a salary dump.

Old
06-25-2004, 10:27 PM
blues1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by toughstuff
Make it 1st in 2004 instead of 3rd and you've got a deal.
The Blues would not make that trade with a 3rd much less a first.

Old
06-25-2004, 11:08 PM
Malakhov

Send a message via MSN to Malakhov
No way in hell from the Habs point of view, not enough return for a top 5 goalie. Demitra is gonna be an UFA in one year so basicly it's Pronger and a 3rd round pick for Theodore, Ribeiro, Hainsey and Brisebois?

:lol :lol :lol

Old
06-26-2004, 02:38 AM
jeff962b
Respect Demitra

Send a message via AIM to jeff962b
Move Demitra, be ready for another mediocre season and a 1st round exit at best.

I actually hope he does get moved. Why? So the same guys who want him gone can eat crow when he comes and burns the Blues time and time again.

How ANYONE can justify moving Demitra BEFORE Weight is beyond me.

Old
06-26-2004, 03:34 AM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderman
What if montreal and st louis made this trade. would it work for both teams

to St Louis
Jose Theadore
Mike Riberio
Patrice Brisebois
Ron Hainsey

To Montreal
Chris Ponger
Pavel Demitra
3rd round pick in 2004 or 2005

Does it sound fair. St Louis shreads payroll and gets a great goalie and and useful d-man and two young players who could help them out for many years. Montreal woul;d get the Big D that they have been missing for so long, and they get a very offesive minded player. I know montreal takes on some playroll about 5 million but with the loss of quintel, juneau, perreault, dackell, & traverse they should be able to take it on and still get a vetren goalie to backup Garon.

Montreal would run because of the money they would hvae to pay both Pronger and Pavol---something like 16mill between the twoi of them

Old
06-26-2004, 04:56 AM
Marksman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff962b
How ANYONE can justify moving Demitra BEFORE Weight is beyond me.
If you put yourself into other teams position for a second its not that difficult.

Demitra is RFA, giving his potential new owner option to qualify him and keep talking for a longterm. His contract is little more appealing on itself and Blues wouldnt have to sponsor his next contract that much to get something decent back. Demitra is also few years younger - so he would fit better into rising young teams likely to make this kind of move. And he doesnt hit now-magical UFA age or 31 until november 2005.

If Notes traded Weight, they would have to eat more contract and would still get worse return, while losing a player from their roster.

Old
06-26-2004, 06:23 PM
andora

Send a message via MSN to andora
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malakhov
No way in hell from the Habs point of view, not enough return for a top 5 goalie. Demitra is gonna be an UFA in one year so basicly it's Pronger and a 3rd round pick for Theodore, Ribeiro, Hainsey and Brisebois?

:lol :lol :lol
i don't think hainsey, brisebois, or ribeiro can really be factored in to value. in a deal around pronger, it's hard to believe they'd hold much value at all

Old
06-27-2004, 06:10 PM
Irish Blues

vCash: 91
Wait....I saw a trade proposal involving St. Louis. Let me read.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderman
What if montreal and st louis made this trade. would it work for both teams

to St Louis
Jose Theadore
Mike Riberio
Patrice Brisebois
Ron Hainsey

To Montreal
Chris Ponger
No. I quit reading at "Pronger" - the answer is "NO!"

BTW...offering Brisebois in a trade to us would get the same response as if we offered Khavanov to the Habs (or almost any other team, for that matter) - a quick, stern, pointed "NO".

Old
06-27-2004, 08:32 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

score tv is saying stlouis will not qualify demitra's contract making him a ufa, unless traded beforehand

Old
06-30-2004, 09:25 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f.
score tv is saying stlouis will not qualify demitra's contract making him a ufa, unless traded beforehand

So basically anything else is useless drivel, since no one will have to give up anything for him since he'll be a UFA.

So let's not waste our energy.

Closed Thread