HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

#1 -- Rangers at Flyers -- October 11, 2008 -- 7:00 PM (ET)

Old
10-12-2008, 01:13 AM
GoneFullHolmgren
def. hockey FAIL

vCash: 50
well now that i have calmed down my views.

no one was good in the 1st except for Niitty.
kinda dissapointed we didnt see orr/cote part 2
we got killed in the face off circle tonite. did Carter even win 1?
kinda mixed reviews on Sbisa. but that has too be expected. hes only 18 and playing in his first real NHL game.
Niity was outstanding tonight.
and it boggles my mind how 20 guys arent ready to go against a heated rival on opening night. inexcusable.

GoneFullHolmgren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 01:21 AM
Dr Turk

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers View Post
What?
well i didnt want to mention it but the response u guys gave a certain puck dropper was great

Dr Turk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 01:26 AM
Toonces
The beer kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTurkelton View Post
well i didnt want to mention it but the response u guys gave a certain puck dropper was great
It's Philly, a very "blue" city, in a "blue" state. Did you expect any different?

Besides, we (Flyers fans in general) tend to boo everybody.

Toonces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 01:29 AM
Claude28Giroux
praiseG

God damnit, i fell asleep so I didn't watch this game, what the **** happened in the first, Biron what were you doing on that wrap around play. GOD.

Claude28Giroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 01:30 AM
Richyrich

I can't believe I missed this game. i heard biron was really shaky... how bad was it?

Also, how was gagne's goal and did the roof get torn off when he scored it?

Richyrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 01:31 AM
Dr Turk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonces View Post
It's Philly, a very "blue" city, in a "blue" state. Did you expect any different?

Besides, we (Flyers fans in general) tend to boo everybody.
no, I expected it, still sounded good though.

Dr Turk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 06:15 AM
Stamvarhall*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
Was Carter playing? I know he was on the ice but was he playing?

This kid better step up. 5M a year 20min of ice time and nothing..?

****ing better look in the mirrow and recognize something by tomorrow.

O yeah for all Knuble lovers^&#^$(*#&$*(#& $*#(&$(*#&(*&$#_)(_(! you...

Other then that.. Flyers started slow. Rangers played 3 NHL games. Like always Stevens had no clue but in the end we had a good game.

yup, I am done.
Take a major ****ing chill pill man

Kovalchuk only has 1 assist so far this season, Gaborik only has 1 assist so far this season, Sidney Crosby only has 2 assists in 3 games played so far, its not the end of the world for Carter to score 32 goals this season.

Stamvarhall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 07:11 AM
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
That game was highly disappointing.

DeadPhish5858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 07:26 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNSCAR View Post
Take a major ****ing chill pill man

Kovalchuk only has 1 assist so far this season, Gaborik only has 1 assist so far this season, Sidney Crosby only has 2 assists in 3 games played so far, its not the end of the world for Carter to score 32 goals this season.
I did not mean as in points.. I meant shots on goal, checks and toher stuff 2nd line center should do.

O yeah, do not tell me to chill.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 07:47 AM
Raffl House

vCash: 513
I must be the only guy not completely pissed with the result.

New York has played 3 games going into last night and it showed -- they came out in regular season form and the Flyers were feeling it out. I think New York showed a lot more poise during the entire game, but the Flyers almost came back and tied the game! If Richards shot in the 3rd is a bit to the right, we're at 4-4.

Nitty played very well, I liked what I saw from Lupul and Richards, and I think Ross will be a surprise player to hold his own if he gets the playing time. Defensively...I saw some things that are worrysome, but its the first game. It could have ended a lot worse than it did and you've got to give both teams credit. The Rangers showed why they are 4-0, and the Flyers showed their resilency. A horrible game turned into a very good hockey game, folks. Relax.

Raffl House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 08:49 AM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Could have been a lot worse. Could have been 2 points. As bad as the first was, Flyers could have stolen it had the puck settled down on a few of those cross-crease feeds. Thanks Nitty

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 08:52 AM
pacehimself

I would have loved for the Flyers to come out of the gate the way they finished the game but hell...if they continue the rest of the season like they finished last nights game then we arent in bad shape.

Sbisa wasn't half bad considering the circumstances, he really is gunna be a good one. As for how long he stays up with the big club is anyones guess because Stevens has seemed to taken a liking to him.

Richards played great, everything you want out of a captain...he was gritty and kept his team in the game....

all in all i am excited for the next game to see how we come out of the gate...and how Biron settles in

pacehimself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 08:54 AM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
I did not mean as in points.. I meant shots on goal, checks and toher stuff 2nd line center should do.

O yeah, do not tell me to chill.

I thought Carter was sub-par tonight as well. I'll blame some of that on his poor decision making and I'll lay part of the blame on Knuble. He was not deserving of top 9 minutes in this game.

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 09:00 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Clarke Fan Club View Post
I thought Carter was sub-par tonight as well. I'll blame some of that on his poor decision making and I'll lay part of the blame on Knuble. He was not deserving of top 9 minutes in this game.
Why do you think I am trying to trade him in every thread. (like that means anything on HF lol)

Carter is usually a slow starter and Knuble is just slow.

What really pissed me off is that our head coach could not get our team ready.. It is going on 2nd season now. Slow starts, no motivation. I find it disturbing when I see Beruby behind the bench.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 09:00 AM
rockit

i think some people need to calm down about the way they played last night.

they played 40 minutes of good hockey, unfortunately the 20 minutes of bad hockey paralyzed them.

All four goals against were generated by bad play by the D-men, and considering the amount of changes that have taken place back there it's kind of expected.

This is by no means what to expect all year. Sbisa you can tell is a bit shaky, made a few lapses down low, but overall wasn't that bad considering he's an 18 year old rookie. Defense (besides goalie) is the hardest position to adjust to because a defensemen's mistake usually leads to a goal against and it get magnified on replay after replay.

Kuks & Eminger looked brutal out there. If kuks plays like that for long, Stevens will have him back in the press box in no time. I hope Eminger can pull it together, he's still got potential but needs to start making something of himself.

rockit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 09:41 AM
Teezax

i can understand people being mad after period 1. But if anyone is pissed off about how we finished, they should take a long hard look in the mirror. In other years, after a beat down like that we'd finish off losing 8-0. But we battled back. We were an inch away from tieing the game and we have Mike Richards on the team who is just an absolute beast.
Take it for what it is, NYR were 3 games in already and clearly more ready for the season then us. We lost one period, big deal.

And am I one of the few who thought Sbisa looked good tonight?
Issues in the 1st period no doubt, but he can't be singled out as everyone int he 1st stunk.

Teezax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 10:21 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 6115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teezax View Post
i can understand people being mad after period 1. But if anyone is pissed off about how we finished, they should take a long hard look in the mirror. In other years, after a beat down like that we'd finish off losing 8-0. But we battled back. We were an inch away from tieing the game and we have Mike Richards on the team who is just an absolute beast.
Take it for what it is, NYR were 3 games in already and clearly more ready for the season then us. We lost one period, big deal.
It's not that people are "pissed about how they finished" (although you HAVE to score on the 5 on 3), it's that they needed those two periods to be in the game late. If the Flyers wouldn't have come out largely unprepared against the Rangers' backup goalie on a back to back, they would have won the game. And the Rangers are a really good team (I personally think they're going to the finals). I think they were outshot 9-1 in the first 9 or so minutes of the game. Inexcusable, I don't care if it's the 1st game or the 82nd game.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 10:37 AM
Teezax

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
It's not that people are "pissed about how they finished" (although you HAVE to score on the 5 on 3), it's that they needed those two periods to be in the game late. If the Flyers wouldn't have come out largely unprepared against the Rangers' backup goalie on a back to back, they would have won the game. And the Rangers are a really good team (I personally think they're going to the finals). I think they were outshot 9-1 in the first 9 or so minutes of the game. Inexcusable, I don't care if it's the 1st game or the 82nd game.
I agree about the 5 on 3, that was our window of opportunity to tie and maybe even lead.
But the NYR backup goalie is a moot point, against us, he is there starter, so regardless who was in net, we obviously needed to be more prepared for the opening 20. I expected us to be slow, but that was a bit much.
But we almost mounted a comeback, and that made the game watchable for me.
That third period was playoff hockey, very fun to watch. i personally finished watching with optimism which is rare after a loss.

Teezax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 10:53 AM
jb**

the most disappointing thing to me was they came out unprepared again, how shocking. they showed no urgency whatsoever. dont car eif it is the first game as this has been an ongoing issue. they will need another #2 dman, acquiring a #5 type wont cut it. sbisa is what he is and he hsould be back in juniors. period.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 11:03 AM
mm6492

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
the most disappointing thing to me was they came out unprepared again, how shocking. they showed no urgency whatsoever. dont car eif it is the first game as this has been an ongoing issue. they will need another #2 dman, acquiring a #5 type wont cut it. sbisa is what he is and he hsould be back in juniors. period.

first off, it is not easy to find a d-man at this pojnt in the season. I am not giving him an excuse for not getting one before, but at this point he can not do much

And Sbisa played better as the game went on. He threw a couple nice checks, played physical, moved the puck well and, yes, he did have a few bad plays, but he is still better then Modry and alll the other crap we had last year. I want to see him for a couple more games before I make my assumption

mm6492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 11:17 AM
BringBackStevens

Send a message via AIM to BringBackStevens
It's not an excuse, but its really lame that every team's first game is not against another team who is playing their first game. Shouldn't happen.

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 11:27 AM
mm6492

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inebriator View Post
It's not an excuse, but its really lame that every team's first game is not against another team who is playing their first game. Shouldn't happen.
that makes since but it won't happen

I was hoping that we would get Pitt first game

mm6492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 11:45 AM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm6492 View Post
first off, it is not easy to find a d-man at this pojnt in the season. I am not giving him an excuse for not getting one before, but at this point he can not do much

And Sbisa played better as the game went on. He threw a couple nice checks, played physical, moved the puck well and, yes, he did have a few bad plays, but he is still better then Modry and alll the other crap we had last year. I want to see him for a couple more games before I make my assumption
assume he plays well during his 9 games, doesnt mean that will continue all year long. he is not the diff between winning and losign at thispoint. he will have so many ups and downs which is to be expected. i belive the good will out weight the bad though. not a knock against him at all, just the learning curve. rather have guenin in that role right now than sbisa. deals can be made if they want to move a key player and not a spare part

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 12:16 PM
sg12lw

Nitty was the man yesterday

the rangers looked like a team that had played a few games and the flyers looked like they were playing their first game. once the flyers got some rhythm they started playing very well. a couple good bounces and we tie or win the game. im not upset at yesterdays game, there is alot of distraction that comes with the home opener and it showed.

gagne richie and briere looked like they will be a force to be reckoned with this season

sg12lw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 12:27 PM
phlocky

I think we should let the team play 5-6 games before we make any snap decisions. One game is not enough to evaluate a single player nor the makeup of a team. I missed the entire first period but from what I saw of the 2nd and 3rd we got progressively better. It was about even for the first 10 mins of the 2nd and then we started to dominate more of the play. The 3rd period we completely owned then and we could have easily scored another 3-4 goals. The Rangers were damn lucky last night. They caught us with our pants down in the 1st and we lucky to hold on at the end.

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote