HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

PGT: Habs give Leafs the Bruin Treatment; 6-1 final

Closed Thread

Old
10-12-2008, 11:45 AM
mcphee

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
Welll lets see what Happens on Monday... but I like the idea of Higgins on the third line.

Let Tanguay stay at LW... and let Lats play RW on that line.

Tanguay looks better on the left side.
I was wondering the same thing, the instinctive ways Kovalev can stay out of trouble on his off side aren't part of Tanguay's game at this point. After his first 4 periods of the season, I was wondering if the guy had lost a lot of confidence somehow as he didn't look right. When a guy makes that delay move at mid ice, it sort of throws the line off unless you have flyers with you liuke A.Kost and Pleks, always racing for open ice.

Then they got 2 five on five goals and looked a lot better so..... At a point, assuming that the Plekanec line isn't touched, one of Higgins,Lats or Tanguay will play the right side, and I'm not sold as tro who it should be.

I didn't think O'Bryne was particularly bad, granted he made more 'just dump it out' plays than Hamrlik, but I thought he was in a few situations where he had little option.

I liked the fact that TK played 2 games on a line that he isn't destined to stay on and wasn't weighing them down. Too bad, I wish he had a bit more jump, because he's the type of guy that I suspect every guy on th eteam is pulling for.

Did you get the impression after Lats goal that he'd beg to stay with Koivu ? I don't know if that's permanent as what's best for GL isn't always what's best for th eteam, but I have to think he'd carry Carbo's luggage all year to stay there.

btw, I do see a difference in his skating. It's not skating into corners or in open ice, it's that first step with the puck that can be methodical at times, but he seems to be coming along nicely.

Old
10-12-2008, 11:46 AM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

Anyone else think that Blake was just happy because he scored his 150th career goal?

Or maybe he thought the leafs could come back ala habs vs rangers last year

Old
10-12-2008, 11:48 AM
jcpenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
Interestingly enough in Carbo's press srcum Martin McGuire starts a question by mentioning the excellent play of the O'Byrne-Hamrlik pairing. To me O'byrne was the 3rd best D last night ahead of Komisarek who is disapoing.
Like ive said earlier, people are expecting him to be Bobby Orr only after 40 games in the NHL. In his zone he has been a rock and hasnt been beat one on one once. Thats what the management expects from him and they understand that his passing game will come along.

Old
10-12-2008, 11:51 AM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprez View Post
Toronto .. I actually feel sorry for that team.Their best player would barely make it on our third line
is Antropov not their best player? Antropov would not make our 3rd line.

Old
10-12-2008, 11:56 AM
FerrisRox

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadHabit View Post
Agreed. I have been disappointed with O'Byrne's play so far - giveaways, passes to no one, pinching way too far, being less than solid on his feet, and poor positioning. Mind you, he is still young and I remember that Georges used to be pretty bad and even Komi took awhile to find his game - so I'm not giving up on him.

We're still allowed to rag on him if he has some bad games. This is the NHL, you gotta step up.
Exactly.

I'm a big fan of his - and I think, if he develops as I expect him to, he will be a massive asset to this club either on their blueline or as a major trade piece for a deadline deal.

That being said, many here think that O'Byrne has already arrived as a prime time NHL defenseman. That's simply not happened yet (nor should we expect it to.)

He's still struggling a fair bit out there some games. He's not sure when he should use his size for positioning or punishing the oppnent ... He needs to pick his spots. He's still a little shaky in terms of his agility when he has to move quickly in tight spaces (the corners) and he's still prone, when under pressure, to throwing the puck away to 'safe ice' while the other defenseman are always keying the break out.

Old
10-12-2008, 12:01 PM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
is Antropov not their best player? Antropov would not make our 3rd line.
lol poor leafs... Their fans deserve better than this.

Old
10-12-2008, 12:09 PM
The n00b King ©*

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprez View Post
Toronto .. I actually feel sorry for that team.Their best player would barely make it on our third line
I'd take Kaberle on our team.

Unless you meant forwards. In which case I agree.

Old
10-12-2008, 12:11 PM
FerrisRox

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcpenny View Post
Like ive said earlier, people are expecting him to be Bobby Orr only after 40 games in the NHL. In his zone he has been a rock and hasnt been beat one on one once. Thats what the management expects from him and they understand that his passing game will come along.
Jason Blake beat him one-on-one last night. Beat him to the outside then promptly lost the puck into the corner, where Hamrlik took over.

Let's be patient with this kid, give him time to learn his game at the NHL level.

But the contingent of fans here that simply want to pretend he's already a rock-solid NHL defenseman and choose to ignore what actually happens on the ice are setting themselves up for dissapointment and unneccessary pressure on this kid.

This is the EXACT same thing that happened with Chris Higgins. His first full season, he could no wrong here. Regardless of what he did in a game, the forum was full of people singing his praises and what a great two-way player he was and how he was gonna be a future captain, blah blah blah.

Then, when he didn't score 35 goals in year three (though did manage what 27?) well over half of those "fans" jumped off his bang wagon and start slagging him.

Old
10-12-2008, 12:13 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
You have got to be kidding me, the only thing Kostopoulos has been doing till now is dragging the line down, evreytime he touches the puck he dumps in the corner and trys to get it leaving Lang and S.Kost useless, it's players like that that Latendresse had to endure all year long, i can't wait until Higgins is back, cause him Lang and S.Kost will make the best 3rd line in the NHL. All 3 can put the puck in and all 3 are great defensively. When Laraque comes back i hope Kostopoulos stays out of the line-up, the 4th line mix should be Laraque (lock), Lappierre, Chipchura and Bégin
What you're saying here fits the description of most 3rd/4th liners you'll see playing in the NHL.

And considering is far from having Lang and S.K.'s talent he did good. No huge mistake, no costly penalty either. decent fill-in for Higgins injury.

He did exactly what was asked of him, battle for pucks along the board, stay in front or close to the net, give the puck to the other two so they generate the offense (or dump if no option)

it's not Kostopoulos that is dragging the 3rd line down, it's the other two that are way too good for 3rd liners

Begin ? I dunno what games you were watching this week-end, but NO WAY Kostopoulos needs to be canned so Begin can keep his spot... no way.

Old
10-12-2008, 12:17 PM
Habskrieg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
fixed

I keep forgetting to tape all the little things he does that go overlooked but are very impressive if you pay attention. Like tonight, he pushed Antropov into the boards and took the puck away from him with relative ease. Leaf player streak in, he plays the man all the way and pushes them off the puck.

Gorges may not be Canon like Mike Richards, but he is fierce like Bear.
Yea I also really like how Gorges developed. I remember his first season with us after his trade, boy was it awful. But last season, he came out very strong and I'ld say he was the one whom impressed me the most since I expected only bad things from him. His first 2 games this season seem to be very good news for us, and a good season beginning for him. Hopefully he keeps playing this way, doesn't get injured, and what not. I'm sure he'll keep going in the right direction. That trade is such a steal now that we think of it.

Old
10-12-2008, 12:19 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisRox View Post
Jason Blake beat him one-on-one last night. Beat him to the outside then promptly lost the puck into the corner, where Hamrlik took over.

Let's be patient with this kid, give him time to learn his game at the NHL level.

But the contingent of fans here that simply want to pretend he's already a rock-solid NHL defenseman and choose to ignore what actually happens on the ice are setting themselves up for dissapointment and unneccessary pressure on this kid.

This is the EXACT same thing that happened with Chris Higgins. His first full season, he could no wrong here. Regardless of what he did in a game, the forum was full of people singing his praises and what a great two-way player he was and how he was gonna be a future captain, blah blah blah.

Then, when he didn't score 35 goals in year three (though did manage what 27?) well over half of those "fans" jumped off his bang wagon and start slagging him.
I see some baby steps though. He walked the line a few times [weak Jonny Cash reference] to get shots through, jumped into the rush, and handled himself well enough down low. Still, you'll see Gorges play alongside Hamr at crunch time. Calling a guy #4 just because he plays with a ket guy is meaningless, it's just a matter of balancing your pairings,imo.

Old
10-12-2008, 12:22 PM
HamrlikTheStud*

Wow... what a great performance yesterday... I still can't beleive how our powerplay was, and how great Markov and Tanguay will be together .

And I still don't get how in the world people say OB was inferior to Gorges yesterday. OB's offensive abilities are severely underated here. His speed is also seriously underated, he's arguably bigger and faster than Gorges in my opinion.

OB is also the 4th most used player there... He got a couple of nice plays, and IMO is already superior to what Komisarek was in 2005-2006.

Old
10-12-2008, 12:22 PM
loudi94
Master of my Domain

Quote:
Originally Posted by franchise player View Post
lol poor leafs... Their fans deserve better than this.
No, they don't. The ACC should have been empty the last two seasons in protest of their awful team. (I know the Bell Center should have been empty for the late 90's and early 2000's) Corporate seats are the life and death of the NHL.

Old
10-12-2008, 12:26 PM
jcpenny

Quote:

I dont understand how can u be dissapointed with OB's play. His defensive zone coverage and one on one have been very good so far. OK he has been beat by Blake once but other than that, few mistakes in his zone and few penalties. Most complaints are about his play with the puck but he's a defensive defensman, that part of his game will take more time to develop. I'm very happy with his play and all he needs right now is to get more confidence.

Old
10-12-2008, 12:31 PM
Habskrieg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
What you're saying here fits the description of most 3rd/4th liners you'll see playing in the NHL.

And considering is far from having Lang and S.K.'s talent he did good. No huge mistake, no costly penalty either. decent fill-in for Higgins injury.

He did exactly what was asked of him, battle for pucks along the board, stay in front or close to the net, give the puck to the other two so they generate the offense (or dump if no option)

it's not Kostopoulos that is dragging the 3rd line down, it's the other two that are way too good for 3rd liners

Begin ? I dunno what games you were watching this week-end, but NO WAY Kostopoulos needs to be canned so Begin can keep his spot... no way.
I actually agree with this, that both lang and s.Kost are way above average for 3rd liners. You can easily see this when you watch them play against other teams 3rd lines. They simply dominate most of the time cause other teams usually rely on the first 2 lines of their O and D. And with our team, they match up their best lines against our first 2 lines. Which is also why you see our first 2 lines sometimes have more trouble then our 3rd.
I feel Kostopoulos is better than what most think. He doesn't look like 2st or 2nd line material, but I find that he was playing well with lang and s.Kost. Doing some good positionning and doing dirty work to keep Lang and Kost playing well. Plus, I feel that Kostopoulos can overall play better than dandenault, begin and lappy. I would actually get rid of the last 3 to make room for chips and pac. In order to to try and make a 4th young offensive line. Or do a different 4th line than a grinder line, like a defensive one, try something else.

Old
10-12-2008, 12:35 PM
mcphee

Quote:
I dont understand how can u be dissapointed with OB's play. His defensive zone coverage and one on one have been very good so far. OK he has been beat by Blake once but other than that, few mistakes in his zone and few penalties. Most complaints are about his play with the puck but he's a defensive defensman, that part of his game will take more time to develop. I'm very happy with his play and all he needs right now is to get more confidence.
I think it's just a matter of using the phrase that Pierre McGuire's been using lately, managing expectations.

O'b's showing he can play. He can be useful, he's moving towards not being a liability. He's paired with Hamr for a reason, to take advantage of superior positioning and hockey sense. He's played well, but it's gradual, and you hope that he keeps getting btter and will be a steady player. They want a guy who can be a long reach pain in the butt to play against and it takes time.

Old
10-12-2008, 12:35 PM
Habskrieg

Quote:
Yea I find that OB played really well last 2 games. Must be that people haven't really payed attention much. But I especially find it surprising when he was alone on a 3 on 1 and managed to take the puck away from the other team. HE's improving and I think he's playing well at this moment.

Old
10-12-2008, 01:10 PM
Lone Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupmonger View Post
Yea I find that OB played really well last 2 games. Must be that people haven't really payed attention much. But I especially find it surprising when he was alone on a 3 on 1 and managed to take the puck away from the other team. HE's improving and I think he's playing well at this moment.
I think he is better this game than Buffalo, but that doesn't mean he has been great. I think people are seriously overrating the guy, but he is under 25 and not Latendresse, so no surprise.

I think O'Byrne has a lot of untapped talent and it comes out at times, but he still makes some serious errors getting out of position or not covering his man properly. However, I'm not asking to get him sent to Hamilton for Weber or anything. He's got the talent, he needs the play time to get it out of him.

This game was fantastic to watch. I really wasn't happy how late in the second until the end of the game we let off a bit. We may have had scorers out there on our PP but they weren't playing full speed. Hockey players are not 8 year olds, theres nothing wrong with a complete blow out.

We played a four line scoring game complimenting a stronger defensive game. We play that way every night, and someone is bound to score, and it won't be the opposition. I'm very excited with this team. I don't just believe in Bob. I also believe in Carbo, and I also believe in the team.

Tonights game proved that people just plain overreact to everything. We got three scoring lines. Some days, one will score. Other days, the other will score.

About Hamrlik: People forget he used to average 40 points a season. Hammer has 2 sixteen goal seasons. He's no slouch.

Halak played a solid game. I'm quite happy with our two goalies. Give Halak the bad teams, give Price the good teams. I'd be more than fine with a 65-17 split (Wanted to see Marc Denis play a few games but with waivers it'll be hard).

I'm still pretty low on Lapierre, but that might be my own biased eyes wanting him kicked to the wing in favour of Chipchura.

Anyway, great game, we're gaining a point (loser point whooo!) in everything, lets keep it up. Philly is next, so no time to relax.

Old
10-12-2008, 01:25 PM
FerrisRox

Quote:
You're not reading what I'm writing.

I'm not disappointed in his play at all. I'm actually pretty impressed with him. But to say he played a great game last night - regardless of my expectations for him - is just not true. And he didn't play well in Buffalo either.

He didn't hurt Montreal last night, but he certainly could have against an NHL calibre opponent. He got turned around a few times, he looked uncomfortable with the puck in his own zone, he made some panic plays and, as I've said several times, he's the only defenseman not playing the teams system, and that certainly shows.

Some people here need to realize there's a difference between criticizing a players performance and the drama queens that insist a player be waived or traded if they don't like the game he plays.

Old
10-12-2008, 01:33 PM
SC2008

Is there a chance Halek can overtake Price as the #1. I always liked him better in goal. Plus he's on my roster.

Old
10-12-2008, 01:35 PM
HabsOfSteel

No chance whatsoever unless Price plays like in the serie against Philly.

Old
10-12-2008, 01:39 PM
Lone Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC2008 View Post
Is there a chance Halek can overtake Price as the #1. I always liked him better in goal. Plus he's on my roster.
Don't count on it.

Old
10-12-2008, 01:41 PM
Habskrieg

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC2008 View Post
Doubt it. Halak played very well but was also very lucky. I think the laffs hit the post like 4 times or something. I'ld say there will be some good competition, but for now, I doubt he takes Price's place.

Old
10-12-2008, 01:45 PM
anarmandaleb

Halak is a great goalie, but he ain't gonna be better than Price.

Old
10-12-2008, 01:53 PM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

Quote:
Some people here need to realize there's a difference between criticizing a players performance and the drama queens that insist a player be waived or traded if they don't like the game he plays.
And that's exactly what you are...

lol just kidding

Closed Thread