HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Line Combos and D Pairs Need to be Changed

Old
10-12-2008, 12:11 PM
RDriesenUD

vCash: 500
Line Combos and D Pairs Need to be Changed

Not sure how i would do it all, but....

Nash - Brassard - Huselius/Voracek
Modin - Umberger - Voracek/Huselius

I'd call up Filatov and Sestito at the min.

Hejda - Klesla
Commodore - Russell
Tyutin - OKT/Methot

Thoughts

RDriesenUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 12:17 PM
BluejacketNut

I go back to what we had in preseason

Nash-Brass-Juice
Modin-RJ-Jake
Chimmer-Novotrny-Murry
Boll-Dorsett- and my first call up, Mirasty

We played years with a very limited hockey skills with Shelley, time to bring in Mirasty. And this is mainly based on how we got beat down by the Yotes....it was embarrassing

On the blueline, from performance of last night....OKT in, Rusty to the bench.

BluejacketNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 12:29 PM
CBJSlash

Overall I'm not going to get too excited until we get to make the matchups at home. Building chemistry and not getting ideal matchups is hard. I would move Brassard up to the top line though.

Nash - Brassard - Huselius
Modin - Umberger - Voracek
Chimera - Novotny - Boll
Picard - Murray - Dorsett

for now.

CBJSlash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 01:24 PM
Neal

injuries/suspensions are really hurting our bottom 6

what might have been:

Chimera Peca (suspension) Torres (shoulder)
Novotny (shoulder) Malhotra (leg) Murray

Could be?

Chimera Murray Boll
Picard McKenzie(?) Dorrset

Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 01:38 PM
JayGee

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluejacketNut View Post

Nash-Brass-Juice
Modin-RJ-Jake
Chimmer-Novotrny-Murry

We played years with a very limited hockey skills with Shelley, time to bring in Mirasty. And this is mainly based on how we got beat down by the Yotes....it was embarrassing

Wow...

The couple of good hits late in the game were not what lost it for us. What would Mirasty have done anyways to prevent that? Our defense was caught out of position too much and that left us scrambling in our own end which led to some stupid penalties.

I don't know what game you were watching that you think Rusty was the biggest problem last night or in Dallas. Backman, Hejda & Commodore had a bad game against Dallas and Tyutin had a horrible game last night. I think they all looked better as the game went on tough. I wouldn't be opposed to sitting one of Backman or Tyutin in favor of establishing a defense first mentality again.

JayGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 02:09 PM
Monk

Nash seemed really frustrated last night to me. Did anyone else get that vibe?

I'm sure a lot of it was self-directed, but I wonder if he's not feeling so great about his linemates .. yet. Not saying they can't pick it up, but if they don't, something's gotta change.

Monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 02:24 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Not moving our feet and SKATING is what lost the game. Most of those dumb penalties were hooking and interference calls resulting from gliding and coasting.

Mirasty wouldn't have helped. Different line combinations wouldn't have helped. Playing a couple of guys with fresh legs, who were healthy scratches Friday, may have.

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 02:30 PM
cbj21

Quote:
Totally agree.

I think Nash messed up the most on the first goal.
Tyutin was covering a player while Huselius backed him up when Nash moved in against the same player too without any regards what happened behind him leaving Klesla alone with 3 Phoenix players to cover alone.

cbj21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 03:23 PM
Wolfy*
The Hobbit Rules!

Quote:

Nash-Brass-Juice
Modin-RJ-Jake
Chimmer-Novotrny-Murry

But according to most fans our physical presence out there is just fine..

Yes it was embarrassing last night, the incident when poor Novotny was crushed by Shane Doan, did any of our boys stand up for Novotny? Nope, and when the team feel like they're taking a beating they don't play well.

Tollefsen is sitting in the press box watching his team having a tough game, not much he can do, unless Hitch figures out it's time to play him. I agree, OKT in against the physical teams. Mirasty on the team would help a lot too, but it's not gonna happen because Hitch doesn't believe in the enforcer role. In my opinion this role or not is the difference between success and failure.

Wolfy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 03:23 PM
Jaxs
HFBoards Sponsor

Agree that preseason lines were working well, but Hitch said he didnt to force feed Brass too soon on the first line. Now that Brass has a couple of games under his belt this season Hitch may move him up, restoring preseason lines.

Jaxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 03:31 PM
ClevelandJacketFan
Awesome Mascots!

Here is the problem.

We have two players who can set people up on the young line, and I think there is no one on the Nash line that is nearly as good as making those passes as either Jake or Brass.

It's time to make that move, I think Umberger could really make big improvements playing with Jake and Nash with Brass.

ClevelandJacketFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 04:00 PM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Playing those two rookies with Chimera will eventually bite Hitchcock in the ass. They need to be on separate lines asap.

KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 04:28 PM
cbjpointman
It begins here

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
Not moving our feet and SKATING is what lost the game. Most of those dumb penalties were hooking and interference calls resulting from gliding and coasting.

Mirasty wouldn't have helped. Different line combinations wouldn't have helped. Playing a couple of guys with fresh legs, who were healthy scratches Friday, may have.
Lee, I think you've hit this perfectly. Those are tired penalties. Second game of a back to back. We were in a deep hole before the 2nd period started.

I also think Hitch is quite concerned about the 2 rookies in a defensive way, and playing them with Chimmer was his way of using that line with discretion. Now that he's seen good games from each of them I hope he'll split them and move them up to clear top 6 roles.

Should be interesting to see what his thoughts are about them after reviewing the tape of the 1st two games.

cbjpointman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 06:34 PM
Renion

My problems with the current top line, and issues surrounding them:

First, there's no transition game (problem for every line), which means basically all of their scoring chances will come from plays developing in the offensive zone, rather than on the rush (which is when Umberger and Huselius, ideally, would be more involved).

The problem with that, thus far, is Nash seems to always be the one with the puck. That's how he operates in the offensive zone. Rimer praised him for trying to do it all all night long; but, when Nash has the puck, he's rarely thinking "pass," which tends to make his linemates extraneous, thereby allowing the defense to key on him. It's been my complaint for a while now, but he needs to utilize his linemates better. Huselius and Umberger look better when they're making plays together, and not skating around watching Nash bull through the entire team to get a scoring chance.

I think the big guy needs to learn the first lesson of being a captain: You don't have to do it all on your own. In fact, it's usually counterproductive to try.

At the same time, Huselius needs to step it up big time. I haven't seen much in the way of the proverbial "sense of urgency" out of him. Umberger looks strong along the boards; I have no complaint about his work ethic. Right now, though, he's reminding me of Chimera, in that he looks like he's too high in the lineup.

Nash has always worked best with pure playmakers (Cassels/Vyborny). Give him one player to feed him the puck, and the third member of the line could even be a utility player (like Murray) and the line would still be effective.

Renion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 07:01 PM
Casework

Huselius seems to be a given with Nash, and I feel like we wouldn't necessarily see his best if we paired him with someone else, but based on what I've seen in the first two games:

Nash-Brassard-Voracek
Modin-Umberger-Huselius
Chimera-Murray-Boll
Picard-Novotny-Dorsett

For the D, I'm content keeping the pairings and letting them sort out their chemistry. One move I'd potentially make is putting Russell with Tyutin and Klesla with Backman/Tollefsen.

Of course, I'm surprised enough we have Brassard and Voracek playing together at all, and I realize it's unrealistic to think Hitch would put them on the top line together. In that case, I'd be interested to see something like:

Nash-Brassard-Huselius
Chimera-Umberger-Voracek
Modin-Novotny-Dorsett
Picard-Murray-Boll

Last edited by Casework: 10-12-2008 at 07:30 PM.
Casework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 07:43 PM
Jeffrey99

I'd like to see Tyutin sit the next game and Methot get some playing time. I think Tyutin's play on Friday night alone warrents some bench time. And I didn't think he helped himself much on Saturday either.

Jeffrey99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 07:57 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monk View Post
Nash seemed really frustrated last night to me. Did anyone else get that vibe?

I'm sure a lot of it was self-directed, but I wonder if he's not feeling so great about his linemates .. yet. Not saying they can't pick it up, but if they don't, something's gotta change.
Most won't go near Nash with a ten foot pole, but I will. Nash, since being made captain, is playing harder and more engaged than I've ever seen him play on a consistent basis (and we all know he is/was prone to taking a night off). He's so engaged he is saying to heck with everyone else, if they can't do it I will.

That's actually a problem, it's possible the team is sitting back thinking the "other" guy will do the job so I can just float.

We are not a team yet, once everyone knows what their job is and executes that job we will start winning. Nash cannot do it alone, he is more than willing to give 110% as captain but his teammates must stop watching him and start trying to get it done themselves.... Rant over.....

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 08:26 PM
section 204

our coach is hitch...

... our lines will soon be juggled

section 204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 09:50 PM
Byrral

This is the second thread that someone stated bringing Mirasty up. Like that is going to help solve our problems.

I will give this team twenty games to see where they're at. Lines will be changed and hopefully they'll find some combinations that work better together. The team hasn't developed good chemistry yet and the new players will play better than they have the first two games. They are better players than we have seen.

This team is better than in the past and the younger players we have now to go with Nash are going to be good players. Not the time to panic. The playoffs would be nice but it's still going to take time for this team to develop together. I'm not a playoffs or nothing type person anyway though it is what I want to see. I mostly want to see improvement this year and I think it will happen.

Byrral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 10:20 PM
BluejacketNut

Bringing Mirasty up isnt for point production, its to fill the role of deterrent. Why is Torres out right now? Because he took it upon himself to address a problem, one which was much out of his class, and he paid for it. What if it was Brass that Doan elbowed, or maybe Jake?

Im mainly pissed at how we got manhandled and didnt bother putting up a fight even when one of our players was cheapshotted, no excuse for that. If OKT, at the least, isnt in the lineup against Nashville, it will be ugly.

BluejacketNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 10:28 PM
Renion

It definitely pissed me off that no one stuck up for Novotny. It pisses me off every year those things go unanswered.

Renion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 10:32 PM
Byrral

Quote:
Bringing Mirasty up isnt for point production, its to fill the role of deterrent. Why is Torres out right now? Because he took it upon himself to address a problem, one which was much out of his class, and he paid for it. What if it was Brass that Doan elbowed, or maybe Jake?

Im mainly pissed at how we got manhandled and didnt bother putting up a fight even when one of our players was cheapshotted, no excuse for that. If OKT, at the least, isnt in the lineup against Nashville, it will be ugly.
For giggles: Let's say Mirasty was on the bench. After Doan leveled Novotny, Mirasty was immediately put on the ice for the "second" time in the game. Doan stayed out there. Mirasty beats the tar out of Doan. Mirasty is on the scoresheet with 2 for instigating, 5 for fighting, a 10 minute misconduct and a game misconduct. He won the fight, was fun to watch, a true heavyweight.

The score would still have been 3-1.....maybe 4-1. Get what I'm saying?

There are other players that need to assist. Players that can play the game, contribute in the scoring department and help their teammates when needed.

Byrral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 10:53 PM
Cyborg Yzerman
Remember Alf?

vCash: 828
i'm not going to lie, the thought that heavy weights win hockey games brings on the lulz. No Offense people, but this isn't the 80's where 10 minute fights were common IE Bob Probert. Talent and leadership and teamwork win games. If you have all three, you have a cup contender.

Cyborg Yzerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 11:00 PM
section 204

the doan shot was ugly, but putting less talented players on the ice is not going to be a step forward for the jackets, whether they can go kick some or not.

section 204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 12:32 AM
Rimers stache

I think everyone should keep in mind it was the second game of the season, phoenix's home opener, and we were coming off a very long first game of the season with travel time right after the game. First loss of the season always hurts but lets face it, this team was not going to go undefeated as crazy as that sounds to most of you. I dont think anything should be changed yet

Rimers stache is offline   Reply With Quote