HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Edler signs 4-year extension 3.25M/year

Old
10-12-2008, 12:20 PM
Wetcoaster

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO View Post
he's worth it now... he's a top 4 dman right now in the NHL, and has been one of the better dmen on a team with some solid defensive depth.

I think that he's worth that salary now, and if not, he's very close to it. And considering how much he's improved so quickly, I have no doubt that he'd be worth that by the end of this season, if he's not already.
According to Linden last year Edler (whom Linden nicknamed "Eaglet") he will mature into an "enormous man" once he gets his full growth.
Quote:
It is a unusual place to find an eaglet, especially one which, when fully grown, could challenge for a Norris Trophy in the National Hockey League.

"I come up with all kinds of stuff to call guys," Vancouver Canuck Trevor Linden explains. "Alex Edler -- Edler. Eddie. Eddie the Eagle. What's an eagle? Big, majestic bird. But he's not big and majestic yet, so I said he's Eaglet. Everyone says, 'What's an eaglet?' I say it's a baby eagle and everyone laughs, says it isn't. But it is.

"He's really good at sleeping and eating. That's what baby eagles do. From the time the plane takes off until the time the plane touches down, he's out. I've never seen someone sleep like him."
"Physically, he's not even close to mature," Linden marvels. "He's going to be an enormous man. People don't appreciate how many positive things he does and that he's doing them at such a young age.
Here is what Dave Nonis had to say:
Quote:
"Very few, if any other players, from that league and that part of the country have stepped foot in the NHL," Nonis said. "He has come so far, I don't see why he can't continue to improve. Maybe not at the rate he has, but at a significant rate. He has things you can't teach. You can't teach size and vision, the way he passes the puck."
And Shane Doan who is no slouch in the the physical department had this to say about Edler when talking with Canucks assistant coach Rick Bowness:
Quote:
"He has the potential to be that (as good as Ohlund), yes," Canuck assistant coach Rick Bowness said. "Skates, passes, plays with his head up, shoots, plays physically. There's nothing he can't do. He's as strong on his feet as anyone in the league. I talked to Shane Doan about him after our game here [against the Phoenix Coyotes on Jan. 11] because Shane wanted to know who he was.

"I told Alex before that game: 'You're not going to run into anyone as powerful as Shane Doan. You better be ready.' And he was ready. Doaner was asking after the game: 'Who is that kid?' There was one race for the puck, and Doaner says: 'I was ready for him, but he got in front of me and I just couldn't get there. There are not many guys who can do that.'

"When Alex gets knocked down, it's not that he's not strong enough. It's that he's adjusting to the intensity at which every player in this league plays every shift."
http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/n...3a2ca86&k=7839

Edler was truly a draft steal and the Canucks can thank Thomas Gradin for that.

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 12:30 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post

Edler was truly a draft steal and the Canucks can thank Thomas Gradin for that.
They can also thank the Red Wings, who inadvertently tipped off Gradin.

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 04:56 PM
vippe

Send a message via MSN to vippe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
They can also thank the Red Wings, who inadvertently tipped off Gradin.
Didn't the wings get franzen instead of edler?

If that's the case I bet they arent very sad

vippe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 05:12 PM
norrisnick

Quote:
Originally Posted by vippe View Post
Didn't the wings get franzen instead of edler?

If that's the case I bet they arent very sad
They likely could have gotten both if Hakan didn't get lazy and call Edler's coach.

Similar case as Jonathan Ericsson. They had Ericsson pegged as a solid 3rd or 4th round player, but were all but certain that they were the only team that had gotten around to see him play so they saved him for the last pick. A gamble, but it worked. Could have done the same with Edler.

norrisnick is offline   Reply With Quote