HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Montreal Canadiens @ Toronto Maple Leafs - Saturday Oct 11th 7PM EST- 08/09 HNIC

Closed Thread

Old
10-12-2008, 01:35 PM
Roo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EazyB97 View Post
Few disturbing things tonight

- A loss like this was something the coaches and GM blamed on the players who we've lost all summer long. Last night we didn't have much emotion. Moore was the closest thing and his was an outburst. McCabe and Tucker usually stepped up their physical play and got angry in these situations, while Mats could dominate. It would've been nice to see some players step up. Mayers had to be a force, while others had to get Angry. We went through the motions.

- The other is this is a fragile team. We know we're young, but we're fragile. The goals in short periods was something that came under Maurice, same with the blowing leads. It wasn't leadership, it was a team mentality that stretched from line 1 to line 4 and is now still with the team. It's something we can break, but needs to be fixed.

- We're also a team with speed who looked very slow last night. That's because of our poor puck movement. Montreal was flying last night without any of their players moving, that's because the puck was moving quickly and we were chasing. It's something we need to get to.
Montreal came out hard after losing the night before. They wanted it more. When a team that has a lot more skill and experience than yours outplays you, you're in for a rough night. Seemed like Toronto strayed from their game plan and in a way 'gave up' after the first. At least thats the way it seemed. We no longer got in the passing lanes and essentially sat back in the defensive zone and they picked us apart.

You're right, it bothers me that we didnt pick up the physical play later in the game. I think we need to do that if we're on the losing end of the score.

Quote:
Actually it is, at least here it is. Someone in the summer made the same claim so I went back to look at his goals. One was scored when it was a blow-out and he wasn't even given credit. The others were all in 1-2 goal games.
Maybe im wrong, but that doesnt change the fact that what he did was downright embarassing. If I was on the other team I would be wondering why he is so happy. When you score to make it 5-1 and you cheer, you're only happy you got a goal.

Old
10-12-2008, 01:39 PM
Fenton

Quote:
Few disturbing things tonight

- A loss like this was something the coaches and GM blamed on the players who we've lost all summer long. Last night we didn't have much emotion. Moore was the closest thing and his was an outburst. McCabe and Tucker usually stepped up their physical play and got angry in these situations, while Mats could dominate. It would've been nice to see some players step up. Mayers had to be a force, while others had to get Angry. We went through the motions.
I think we would have done a little better with Hollweg in. Or at the very least, things would have been more interesting.

Considering there was a lot of hype this off-season about this team beating the snot out of teams (and not beating them in the goal department), I haven't seen much of it yet. This team looks weaker than last seasons team.

Old
10-12-2008, 02:00 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

If nothing else this game will serve to reel in the unbridled enthusiasm and loft expectations for this season.

Leafs were not as good as the game against the Wings, and not as bad as last nights performance and the true team lies somewhere in the middle of the two performances.

Its going to be a trying season at times and patience the key to accepting the nightly results.

10-12-2008, 02:22 PM
EazyB97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo View Post
Maybe im wrong, but that doesnt change the fact that what he did was downright embarassing. If I was on the other team I would be wondering why he is so happy. When you score to make it 5-1 and you cheer, you're only happy you got a goal.
I agree. Something I wouldn't have done and don't like, but it's the first time he's done it here. It's also something many fans would've loved had it been a Mayers or other newcomer doing (Grabovski) to illustrate their "relentless heart". Either way, regardless of who did it, it shouldn't have been done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenton View Post
I think we would have done a little better with Hollweg in. Or at the very least, things would have been more interesting.

Considering there was a lot of hype this off-season about this team beating the snot out of teams (and not beating them in the goal department), I haven't seen much of it yet. This team looks weaker than last seasons team.
Hollweg would've run people, I agree. It may have been an even more lopsided score because of him, but he would've been taking dangerous runs at the Habs. At least the hits from behind would've been an eye for an eye. I'm still incredibly pissed nobody runs at Komisarek. He's a coward and loves to run players from behind. Mayers should've grabbed him after the Moore incident.

Old
10-12-2008, 02:39 PM
Redwingsfan
Global Moderator
What rust??

Awards:
Send a message via MSN to Redwingsfan
1000+ posts.. This one is done..

Closed Thread