HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Red Fisher: Schneider almost quit Habs in '94

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-06-2008, 09:57 PM
  #51
Toro
Registered User
 
Toro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Windsor
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,753
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
the post in particular that you quoted was clearly mcphee sarcasm.

Also i haven't seen him as defending him, just discussing him in a fair manner with both Red's good points and his bad points. Have you missed the part where he says that Red's ego is out of control and he always makes himself part of the story, or the part where he mentions that red has gotten repetitive in his old time stories.
I missed none of his posts in this thread, also sure there was sarcasm in the post that i quoted, but there is an underlying truth that mcphee has a man crush on Red Fisher and was wondering why. And he told us why that's all i was trying to say. O and ya he has been defending red's ways throughout this thread, quoting every negative post against red. How can you say he has not been defending red?

Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2008, 10:04 PM
  #52
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Habs10Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 52,298
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toro View Post
I missed none of his posts in this thread, also sure there was sarcasm in the post that i quoted, but there is an underlying truth that mcphee has a man crush on Red Fisher and was wondering why. And he told us why that's all i was trying to say. O and ya he has been defending red's ways throughout this thread, quoting every negative post against red. How can you say he has not been defending red?
What a stupid post. Who the **** cares if mcphee is Fisher's biggest fan or not?

If you really care so much, why don't you just wait for mcphee to come on. I'm sure he'll gladly explain to you and everyone else how he feels about Fisher.

__________________
Don Cherry is right...you don't poke the bear..you walk right up to it and punch it in the mouth. - Grant McCagg
Habs10Habs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2008, 10:08 PM
  #53
Toro
Registered User
 
Toro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Windsor
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,753
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
What a stupid post. Who the **** cares if mcphee is Fisher's biggest fan or not?

If you really care so much, why don't you just wait for mcphee to come on. I'm sure he'll gladly explain to you and everyone else how he feels about Fisher.
wow wow,

wait a sec bud. I don't really care so much. I had to respond to Beak. I have never seen Mcphee post so much in a single thread and defend a reporter with the quickness and consistancy as he has in this thread. thats all. No biggie....

relax

Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2008, 10:15 PM
  #54
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Habs10Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 52,298
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toro View Post
wow wow,

wait a sec bud. I don't really care so much. I had to respond to Beak.

relax
It still doesn't change my mind that it was a stupid post. Debate about the article, why debate about how a certain poster feels about the author who wrote the article?

Oh and say relax to me one more time....

Habs10Habs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2008, 10:20 PM
  #55
Beakermania*
 
Beakermania*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kingston or Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,964
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toro View Post
seriously, are you related to red or something? i don't understand the man crush. sure i enjoyed him when i was younger and still do occasionally but over all i don't really care for his work anymore.

The only thing he has going for him anymore is the fact that he has had his nose in the Canadiens arse longer than most of us have been breathing.
For the record: this was said before i even posted in the thread.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2008, 11:23 PM
  #56
cjbhab
Go Habs Go
 
cjbhab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Regina
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,225
vCash: 500
you know what.. as a young habs fan at 20 years of age, I had not heard this story before.. therefore, there was a purpose. I've only been a fan since 95.

cjbhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2008, 12:26 AM
  #57
JrHockeyFan
Registered User
 
JrHockeyFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,520
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
It seems all Fisher did was tell a little story about an instance that he had 1st hand knowledge of. He has enough ego going on to make sure that he's in the story.

There's harm in this ? Geez we've become a bunch of old women. No offence to old women of course.
LOL There are no old women, just desperate men

As per Red it usually did not happen (or matter) if he was not involved.

I have no idea what John Davidson did to piss him off, but boy Red made a point of making his life miserable in those hot stove get togethers

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2008, 05:49 AM
  #58
Toro
Registered User
 
Toro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Windsor
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,753
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
It still doesn't change my mind that it was a stupid post. Debate about the article, why debate about how a certain poster feels about the author who wrote the article?

Oh and say relax to me one more time....
rela

Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2008, 07:26 AM
  #59
mcphee
Registered User
 
mcphee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 19,105
vCash: 500
Geez, the kid's doing homework and dealing with teenage drama, so I stay downstairs and watch tv with my wife. Well,well,well.

OK, firstly, reagrding Red Fisher. He hasn't had his nose anywhere but up to gauge which way the wind was blowing for a long time. He has always done his routine, making himself important, part of story. He, if my old man's story was correct, got himself kicked off the original hot stove segments for his comments. He had a feud with Toe Blake that saw the 2 of them to not exchange a word for years.

Writers, if they were positioned a certain way, played a different role generations ago. Player A wondered how much player b in Detroit was making, ask Red or his colleague in La Presse to find out. Just by longevity, if Fisher is to be believed, he'd find himself being used as a resource, which he used to gather info.

Personally, I think those days are long gone. I think he spends little time around the game now, probably doesn't have a good handle on some of the values these days in terms of player value vs. prduction vs. cap situation. Truthfully though, that's a bit refreshing.

I was never that big a Fisher fan until the early 90's when he'd work on the pre game show with Melnick and Steve Shutt. They did a pretty good routine wherein Fisher with his Cossell like arrogant act, would pick on Shutt. I remember thinking that sometimes you don't appreciate a guy's talent until you hear him in a certain role.

Now, to keep a touch with the history of the CH, he has a Saturday column, usually relates some old stories, mostly repitive but as was just pointed out, not always.

I know there are some fine posters here who have a bit of disdain for the guy, and I understand why. The Saturday column is worth looking at imo, because out of the 10 or 12 items he mentions, a few opinions, or anecdotes will make me at least comsider how I looked at something. He can't be the daily guy anymore, the guy's freakin' 85. Having a guy that age, sharp enough to be a bridge from the March 17, 1955 team to the present is part of the lore of the CH. I don't expect to get insights as top the working of current personel from him, Gagnon or Brunet are better versed in that, as they should be.

My whole issue in this thread puts me in the position of defending Fisher. We're hockey information ******. We read it all, posters earch for obscure CH refrences in publications. TSN picks the Habs 11th, we hate those Toronto centric bastidges. They pick us 2nd, we love 'em. Someone criticizes Gainey, he's a troublemaker. We usually get to my favorite attitude, stolen from Jim Bouton's Ball 4, I didn't read it, but I don't like it.

It's the same issue as the blanket 'French Press' comments. Write what we like. As far as I can see here, a guy, who has been reduced to re-hashing old anecdotes and exagerrating his involvement in them, does this every Saturday, this time because a guy's name was in the news. A poster suggested that he snuck this in because of an anti Roy campaign. Maybe, I hadn't considred that. I think Fisher has the right idea regarding Roy, one that coincides with mine. I love some things about him, hate some others. Guys aren't one thing.

So, after all this rambling, my reactions here are mainly about how we over react to every little snippet that we attach controversy to. The point is that players have reacted with anger to on and off ice issues for the 50 odd years this guy has covered the team and they tend to work themselves out. Having an opinion about Schenider's reaction, or Roy's way of dealing with things doesn't seem relevant to me. Humans tend to act like it.

Except for Habs' Mom whom I deeply regret defaming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrHockeyFan View Post
LOL There are no old women, just desperate men

As per Red it usually did not happen (or matter) if he was not involved.

I have no idea what John Davidson did to piss him off, but boy Red made a point of making his life miserable in those hot stove get togethers
I know what you mean, but I think he and Davidson liked each other and it was Fisher's way of showing it. He promoted him all the time, kept his name in the press, then he'd embarass him by putting him on the spot. My take is that JD would call him and give him crap afterwards and Fisher would laugh.


Last edited by Habs10Habs: 10-07-2008 at 09:53 AM.
mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2008, 08:12 AM
  #60
AD
Registered User
 
AD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bigassofficetower
Country: Lebanon
Posts: 14,576
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
Geez, the kid's doing homework and dealing with teenage drama, so I stay downstairs and watch tv with my wife. Well,well,well.

OK, firstly, reagrding Red Fisher. He hasn't had his nose anywhere but up to gauge which way the wind was blowing for a long time. He has always done his routine, making himself important, part of story. He, if my old man's story was correct, got himself kicked off the original hot stove segments for his comments. He had a feud with Toe Blake that saw the 2 of them to not exchange a word for years.

Writers, if they were positioned a certain way, played a different role generations ago. Player A wondered how much player b in Detroit was making, ask Red or his colleague in La Presse to find out. Just by longevity, if Fisher is to be believed, he'd find himself being used as a resource, which he used to gather info.

Personally, I think those days are long gone. I think he spends little time around the game now, probably doesn't have a good handle on some of the values these days in terms of player value vs. prduction vs. cap situation. Truthfully though, that's a bit refreshing.

I was never that big a Fisher fan until the early 90's when he'd work on the pre game show with Melnick and Steve Shutt. They did a pretty good routine wherein Fisher with his Cossell like arrogant act, would pick on Shutt. I remember thinking that sometimes you don't appreciate a guy's talent until you hear him in a certain role.

Now, to keep a touch with the history of the CH, he has a Saturday column, usually relates some old stories, mostly repitive but as was just pointed out, not always.

I know there are some fine posters here who have a bit of disdain for the guy, and I understand why. The Saturday column is worth looking at imo, because out of the 10 or 12 items he mentions, a few opinions, or anecdotes will make me at least comsider how I looked at something. He can't be the daily guy anymore, the guy's freakin' 85. Having a guy that age, sharp enough to be a bridge from the March 17, 1955 team to the present is part of the lore of the CH. I don't expect to get insights as top the working of current personel from him, Gagnon or Brunet are better versed in that, as they should be.

My whole issue in this thread puts me in the position of defending Fisher. We're hockey information ******. We read it all, posters earch for obscure CH refrences in publications. TSN picks the Habs 11th, we hate those Toronto centric bastidges. They pick us 2nd, we love 'em. Someone criticizes Gainey, he's a troublemaker. We usually get to my favorite attitude, stolen from Jim Bouton's Ball 4, I didn't read it, but I don't like it.

It's the same issue as the blanket 'French Press' comments. Write what we like. As far as I can see here, a guy, who has been reduced to re-hashing old anecdotes and exagerrating his involvement in them, does this every Saturday, this time because a guy's name was in the news. A poster suggested that he snuck this in because of an anti Roy campaign. Maybe, I hadn't considred that. I think Fisher has the right idea regarding Roy, one that coincides with mine. I love some things about him, hate some others. Guys aren't one thing.

So, after all this rambling, my reactions here are mainly about how we over react to every little snippet that we attach controversy to. The point is that players have reacted with anger to on and off ice issues for the 50 odd years this guy has covered the team and they tend to work themselves out. Having an opinion about Schenider's reaction, or Roy's way of dealing with things doesn't seem relevant to me. Humans tend to act like it.

Except for Habs' Mom whom I deeply regret defaming.
Red Fisher apologist

AD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2008, 08:30 PM
  #61
Kimota
Nation of Poutine
 
Kimota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: La Vieille Capitale
Country: France
Posts: 21,952
vCash: 500
It's a good story, i'm glad Red brought it up.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2008, 09:50 PM
  #62
Habs
Registered User
 
Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,347
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
Except for Habs' Mom whom I deeply regret defaming.


"Habs's" = of Habs , pertaining to me. Its ok to use the apostrophe when denoting posession with some words ending in "s".

"Habs' Mom" means the mom of all the Habs.

"Except for the mother of Habs, whom I deeply regret degaming" would be more appropriate and make a bit more sense.

At least, thats what I was always told.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 07:09 AM
  #63
mcphee
Registered User
 
mcphee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 19,105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post


"Habs's" = of Habs , pertaining to me. Its ok to use the apostrophe when denoting posession with some words ending in "s".

"Habs' Mom" means the mom of all the Habs.

"Except for the mother of Habs, whom I deeply regret degaming" would be more appropriate and make a bit more sense.

At least, thats what I was always told.
The Cornwall newspaper does a 20 question feature with some community feature now and then. Last week, they had the guy who says, 'I'll tell you Gary' in the Coors Light commercial , standing on the upper deck of a rustic cottage, who also did a recent Tim Horton's ad , something about cookies.

Before that, they had some retired English teacher who said that her pet peeve was the improper use of apostrophes. You never know who you're talking to on the internet as my daughter keeps telling me.

Would degaming mean that I'd be curing her of that gamy smell or eliminating the desire to play games ? My Mom isn't into games, other than an occasional round of passive agressive manipulation. She did enjoy ping pong at one time however.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 10:01 AM
  #64
Habs
Registered User
 
Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,347
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
She did enjoy ping pong at one time however.
Speaking of Ping Pong, my first experience at a strip bar was in this little town of Hinton, Alberta. The stripper shot ping pong balls out of her fufu. My friends and I watched in amazement at this talented demon demonstrated the many uses of the female anatomy.

Yeah, you could say that was the first girl I ever fell in love with.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 10:10 AM
  #65
mcphee
Registered User
 
mcphee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 19,105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
Speaking of Ping Pong, my first experience at a strip bar was in this little town of Hinton, Alberta. The stripper shot ping pong balls out of her fufu. My friends and I watched in amazement at this talented demon demonstrated the many uses of the female anatomy.

Yeah, you could say that was the first girl I ever fell in love with.
Wow. Didn't Alberta announce lottery winners with that trick ?

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 10:20 AM
  #66
Toro
Registered User
 
Toro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Windsor
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,753
vCash: 500
http://habsloyalist.blogspot.com/200...1_archive.html

an article about red (monday Oct 6th, the 3rd article down.)

Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2008, 10:21 AM
  #67
Chazz
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Chazz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,478
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
Speaking of Ping Pong, my first experience at a strip bar was in this little town of Hinton, Alberta. The stripper shot ping pong balls out of her fufu. My friends and I watched in amazement at this talented demon demonstrated the many uses of the female anatomy.

Yeah, you could say that was the first girl I ever fell in love with.
LOL too funny

Chazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2008, 06:59 PM
  #68
Toro
Registered User
 
Toro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Windsor
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,753
vCash: 500
http://www.canada.com/montrealgazett...e-ce8c4e7ec285


A nice story by red. Yes he is capable.

Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 01:46 AM
  #69
Kimota
Nation of Poutine
 
Kimota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: La Vieille Capitale
Country: France
Posts: 21,952
vCash: 500
Alright in retrospect it was a weird time to come up with the Scheider story. Almost like Red was trying to give weight to his side of the argument before Roy gets his jersey retired. It won't work: Mon Oncle George is a Roy fan from way back in Colorado.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 07:38 AM
  #70
peperebougon*
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 2,151
vCash: 500
I almost had pie yesterday

peperebougon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 10:19 AM
  #71
Habnot
 
Habnot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,540
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
The Cornwall newspaper does a 20 question feature with some community feature now and then. Last week, they had the guy who says, 'I'll tell you Gary' in the Coors Light commercial , standing on the upper deck of a rustic cottage, who also did a recent Tim Horton's ad , something about cookies.

Before that, they had some retired English teacher who said that her pet peeve was the improper use of apostrophes. You never know who you're talking to on the internet as my daughter keeps telling me.

Would degaming mean that I'd be curing her of that gamy smell or eliminating the desire to play games ? My Mom isn't into games, other than an occasional round of passive agressive manipulation. She did enjoy ping pong at one time however.
Cornwall has a newspaper?

Habnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 10:28 AM
  #72
mcphee
Registered User
 
mcphee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 19,105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habnot View Post
Cornwall has a newspaper?
There are times that I read wire stories in their daily that I don't see in The Gazette, which probably says more about the Gazette than the Freeholder.

Don't discount local papers, The Glengarry News is known locally as The Paper.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 02:21 PM
  #73
Habnot
 
Habnot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,540
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
There are times that I read wire stories in their daily that I don't see in The Gazette, which probably says more about the Gazette than the Freeholder.

Don't discount local papers, The Glengarry News is known locally as The Paper.
Where else can you read the Goat Report!

Habnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 06:19 PM
  #74
mcphee
Registered User
 
mcphee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 19,105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habnot View Post
Where else can you read the Goat Report!
Clover and the late Cleo actually were photographed and in the News.


Then again, my 50th b day party was widely reported on in the weekly North Lancaster column.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 06:38 PM
  #75
Habnot
 
Habnot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,540
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
Clover and the late Cleo actually were photographed and in the News.


Then again, my 50th b day party was widely reported on in the weekly North Lancaster column.
Right next to the Carney Report?

Habnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:16 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.