HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

PGT: Habs give Leafs the Bruin Treatment; 6-1 final

Closed Thread

Old
10-12-2008, 12:56 PM
FerrisRox

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by franchise player View Post
And that's exactly what you are...

lol just kidding
I want franchise player traded to the Thrashers message board.

Old
10-12-2008, 12:57 PM
Namso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
is Antropov not their best player? Antropov would not make our 3rd line.
let's be fair here. Antropov would easily make our top9, and most likely our top6 as well.

Old
10-12-2008, 01:05 PM
Lone Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namso View Post
let's be fair here. Antropov would easily make our top9, and most likely our top6 as well.
Koivu, Kovalev, Tanguay, Plekanec, Andrei Kostitsyn and Chris Higgins.

Top 6 before we added Tanguay? Absolutely. Top 9? For sure. Top 6 now? Doubtful, though he may snug Higgins out if he had better chemistry with Koivu than Higgins has.

Old
10-12-2008, 01:17 PM
LilWinger11

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisRox View Post
I want franchise player traded to the Thrashers message board.
Would that put them over the 20-poster mark?

Old
10-12-2008, 01:27 PM
znk

Quote:
You're not reading what I'm writing.

I'm not disappointed in his play at all. I'm actually pretty impressed with him. But to say he played a great game last night - regardless of my expectations for him - is just not true. And he didn't play well in Buffalo either.

He didn't hurt Montreal last night, but he certainly could have against an NHL calibre opponent. He got turned around a few times, he looked uncomfortable with the puck in his own zone, he made some panic plays and, as I've said several times, he's the only defenseman not playing the teams system, and that certainly shows.

Some people here need to realize there's a difference between criticizing a players performance and the drama queens that insist a player be waived or traded if they don't like the game he plays.
Quote:
No question whatsoever to me that the worst player - by a long shot - wearing a red sweater was Ryan O'Byrne.
Makes me question every evaluations you've ever posted here. I'll take Dany Dubé's positive evalution over yours thank you.

Last edited by znk: 10-12-2008 at 01:52 PM.
Old
10-12-2008, 01:31 PM
snakeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by anarmandaleb View Post
Halak is a great goalie, but he ain't gonna be better than Price.
Halak CAN be better than Price, but only time will tell.

Old
10-12-2008, 01:32 PM
JTWymanFan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
Makes me question every evaluations you've ever posted here. I'll take Dany Dubé's positive evalution over yours thank you.
Must say +1 on this one.

Old
10-12-2008, 01:55 PM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
Quote:
Dany Dubé's excellent. I like Brunet a lot more than Pedneault, but I think Dubé would've been great with Houde.

Old
10-12-2008, 01:57 PM
buddahsmoka1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupmonger View Post
I actually agree with this, that both lang and s.Kost are way above average for 3rd liners. You can easily see this when you watch them play against other teams 3rd lines. They simply dominate most of the time cause other teams usually rely on the first 2 lines of their O and D. And with our team, they match up their best lines against our first 2 lines. Which is also why you see our first 2 lines sometimes have more trouble then our 3rd.
I feel Kostopoulos is better than what most think. He doesn't look like 2st or 2nd line material, but I find that he was playing well with lang and s.Kost. Doing some good positionning and doing dirty work to keep Lang and Kost playing well. Plus, I feel that Kostopoulos can overall play better than dandenault, begin and lappy. I would actually get rid of the last 3 to make room for chips and pac. In order to to try and make a 4th young offensive line. Or do a different 4th line than a grinder line, like a defensive one, try something else.
Kostopoulos is a great utility player, and as far as I'm concerned our best forward outside the top 9. However, with our three solid offensive lines there is no reason to have any offense on our fourth. Did you notice that Carbo was using the fourth line against the top line of Torontos? Granted, their first line is not very good, but if we can get a solid fourth line that can just cycle the puck and hem 1st or second lines in the offensive zone that is huge for matchups. If our fourth line is getting shutdown minutes and achieving that, then we have more pressure on their 2nd and 3rd lines against the superior lines of ours. A line of Laraque-Lapierre-Kostopoulos can be killer on the boards against good lines, that is what we need to work towards in regard to our fourth line.

Anyone else seeing some really good potential for chemistry from Lang and Kostitsyn, they look great out there. Look for Carbo to put them out together on the PK as well. I think Sergei will become a vital part of the PK this year now that he has a little more experience under his belt.

Old
10-12-2008, 02:03 PM
FerrisRox

Quote:
You can't be this obtuse.

I'm not dissapointed in O'Byrne's development at all this far in his career. He's what, 40 games into his career as an NHL defenseman.

Perhaps you have the exact same level of expectation out of every player on the roster - grinder, sniper, veteran, rookie, all the same. If you do, that's your issue, not mine.

Me, I have varied expectations depending on role, level of experience, expectations within the team, among other things.

O'Byrne, as a rookie defenseman, I've got him on a very long leash. I *expect* him to make mistakes. I *expect* him to struggle with the fast transition game the team plays, as it's not his strength. I *expect* him to have games where he's the worst on the ice for the Habs.

Ironically, many here *expect* him to be a Top Four defenseman - and they are pleased with him, so there you have it! But for me, I'll simply watch his game and see how he develops.

So, he can be the worst defenseman on the ice for the Canadiens - as he was the two games thus far this season, and still not be a dissapointment to me. You don't seem to be able to grasp that simple concept.

As for Mr. Dube, if he's the kind of person who's analysis you value, then we really have no common ground anyway, so this argument is a moot point. I find him to be a bit of a cheerleader for the team, so there's really very little 'criticism' of the players coming from him.

Old
10-12-2008, 02:05 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kareem View Post
Dany Dubé's excellent. I like Brunet a lot more than Pedneault, but I think Dubé would've been great with Houde.
I agree. But although I rarely listen on the radio (Mostly in my car and such) I have mixed feelings on this idea. I cant imagine a better analyst for the radio. His explenations are so visual that I can see the play in my head. And we get to hear more from him on the radio (pregame, between the periods, post game, on the pool show, etc...)

Quote:
You can't be this obtuse.

I'm not dissapointed in O'Byrne's development at all this far in his career. He's what, 40 games into his career as an NHL defenseman.

Perhaps you have the exact same level of expectation out of every player on the roster - grinder, sniper, veteran, rookie, all the same. If you do, that's your issue, not mine.

Me, I have varied expectations depending on role, level of experience, expectations within the team, among other things.

O'Byrne, as a rookie defenseman, I've got him on a very long leash. I *expect* him to make mistakes. I *expect* him to struggle with the fast transition game the team plays, as it's not his strength. I *expect* him to have games where he's the worst on the ice for the Habs.

Ironically, many here *expect* him to be a Top Four defenseman - and they are pleased with him, so there you have it! But for me, I'll simply watch his game and see how he develops.

So, he can be the worst defenseman on the ice for the Canadiens - as he was the two games thus far this season, and still not be a dissapointment to me. You don't seem to be able to grasp that simple concept.

As for Mr. Dube, if he's the kind of person who's analysis you value, then we really have no common ground anyway, so this argument is a moot point. I find him to be a bit of a cheerleader for the team, so there's really very little 'criticism' of the players coming from him.
I expect him to play on the 4th pairing and last night he was good and definetly not the worst D on the ice...let alone the worst player. How is it that I have higher expectations for him and yet I feel he played a good game...shouldnt it be the other way arround?

Explain to me how the worst player on the team....a D...had 3 shots on goal, 1 assist and +1 after one period. Explain to me how The worst player on the ice saved Gorges's ass in the first game? Our Best D pairing last game was the O'Byrne-Hamrlik pairing. Komisarek is having a really rough start to the season but he's get his timming back after missing alot of games.

And as for Dubé being a cheerleader that's an other point where I will totally disagree with you. When he criticizes a player he doestn start crying and whining like the other guys on that station. He brings reasons why and solutions and mixes it with an evaluation on potential.

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 10-12-2008 at 02:56 PM.
Old
10-12-2008, 02:11 PM
Lone Rogue

Quote:

I am in 100% agreement with you on this.

O'Byrne, I feel, didn't have a good game, but that doesn't mean I want him off the roster. I want him to continue working hard because one day, I know I'll see him improve. I felt the same when I seen Mike Komisarek as a rookie, which everyone seems to forget how bad he could be on games. There were times he seemed to forget he was playing a hockey game. Didn't change the fact he eventually turned into our best defensive D-man in a very, very long time.

Criticism does not mean expectation of failure.

Old
10-12-2008, 02:16 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
I didn't see anything noticably wrong with O'Byrne's performance in either game. I thought Komisarek was much worse than him in Buffalo.. and O'Byrne played the quiet, solid game I want from a rookie D at the beginning of his first full season.

Old
10-12-2008, 02:39 PM
Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross MacLochness View Post
Grabovski really showed us.

My opinion of Craig Simpson as a commentator went down hill. What is Carbo supposed to do? put out Dandy for the full 2 minute pp?

And if I was on the Leafs I'd have punched Blake in the throat for that ridiculous goal celebration in a 5-0 game. What a loser.

Awesome win.
Agreed, who fist pumps when there down 5-0??? anyways thats more what i expected out of this year

Old
10-12-2008, 02:50 PM
Kosti46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Form and Substance View Post
Seriously what does Lats need to ****ing do to get some respect around here?
Lats played a great game tonight. The best I have seen him play.

He made a great pass to Hamrlik on the first goal.

He scored a beauty of a goal on the awesome pass by Koivu.

He threw some good body checks.

And...he was skating .....FAST. Great to see him taking it to the next level.

He did miss receiving some passes that were right on his stick, but it takes time to jell with new linemates, and get to know their patterns of play.

Overall, he is developing nicely.

Loved seeing him play a very good game.

Old
10-12-2008, 03:29 PM
Spectaculard
Trout125HR363RBI442R

Send a message via MSN to Spectaculard
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeye View Post
Halak CAN be better than Price, but only time will tell.
I think Price's size and positioning is what will give him the edge over Halak.

Old
10-12-2008, 04:16 PM
hackeyisneat
Incostitsynt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrychair View Post
exactly

Habs got a lot of bounces last night, and Halak got some good breaks
He didn't have a clue where the puck went on a few occasions

Old
10-12-2008, 04:25 PM
Garo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrychair View Post
And rebounds control.

Old
10-12-2008, 04:43 PM
Corey

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
Kostopoulos is a great utility player, and as far as I'm concerned our best forward outside the top 9. However, with our three solid offensive lines there is no reason to have any offense on our fourth. Did you notice that Carbo was using the fourth line against the top line of Torontos? Granted, their first line is not very good, but if we can get a solid fourth line that can just cycle the puck and hem 1st or second lines in the offensive zone that is huge for matchups. If our fourth line is getting shutdown minutes and achieving that, then we have more pressure on their 2nd and 3rd lines against the superior lines of ours. A line of Laraque-Lapierre-Kostopoulos can be killer on the boards against good lines, that is what we need to work towards in regard to our fourth line.

Anyone else seeing some really good potential for chemistry from Lang and Kostitsyn, they look great out there. Look for Carbo to put them out together on the PK as well. I think Sergei will become a vital part of the PK this year now that he has a little more experience under his belt.
I'd say Ron Wilson was matching his 1st line agsinst the Habs 4th rather than the other way around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blicemj View Post
exactly

I repeat, 3 shots off the post and a goal disallowed. Halak was inserted against everyone's pick of the weakest team in the division and the Leafs didn't do anything to refute that dubious distinction.

Last edited by Beakermania*: 10-12-2008 at 10:45 PM.
Old
10-12-2008, 04:51 PM
LesCanadiens

Quote:
Originally Posted by blicemj View Post
exactly

I agree.

I can't believe the Halak >= Price comparisons....Halak isn't anywhere near Price in terms of present or future.....he DOES look lost out there quite often...and looks small in his net. I thought he got lucky last night....and our D play was very solid.

He's looked much better other times....but I think he's not dependable over a long, grueling NHL season.

Just my 2.

Old
10-12-2008, 04:53 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesCanadiens View Post
I agree.

I can't believe the Halak >= Price comparisons....Halak isn't anywhere near Price in terms of present or future.....he DOES look lost out there quite often...and looks small in his net. I thought he got lucky last night....and our D play was very solid.

He's looked much better other times....but I think he's not dependable over a long, grueling NHL season.

Just my 2.
I think Price looks behind himself after a save more often then Halak.

Old
10-12-2008, 04:58 PM
LesCanadiens

Quote:
I think Price looks behind himself after a save more often then Halak.
Winking at the net cam...never know when they're might be some hot country chick watching.

My lame kidding aside....haven't really noticed that....he just seems to be much better with his rebounds and net coverage....inspires confidence overall, wheareas to me, Halak looks like he's a second away from being blown out.

Old
10-12-2008, 05:06 PM
Phil Parent
HALL PASS BRAH!!

I was thinking...

Lang's performance is a product of playing 3 offensive lines.

Because if he plays against better coverage on a 1 or 2 lines team, his lack of speed would kill him.

Teams would rather cover Kovalev first, then you have Koivu and Tanguay to worry about...Sergei and Lang will play VS the 3rd best defensive unit if the opponent matches line.

I think teams that play strenght VS strenght will have more success VS us than teams matching lines.

We can look forward to being the best offense in the league, I do believe.

Old
10-12-2008, 05:13 PM
CanadienErrant*

Koivu had a very good game. Why ? One reason is the fact that he played under 14 minutes. Fresher legs, more energy = better performance for Saku.

Old
10-12-2008, 05:13 PM
hackeyisneat
Incostitsynt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Parent View Post
I was thinking...

Lang's performance is a product of playing 3 offensive lines.

Because if he plays against better coverage on a 1 or 2 lines team, his lack of speed would kill him.

Teams would rather cover Kovalev first, then you have Koivu and Tanguay to worry about...Sergei and Lang will play VS the 3rd best defensive unit if the opponent matches line.

I think teams that play strenght VS strenght will have more success VS us than teams matching lines.

We can look forward to being the best offense in the league, I do believe.
he's a heck of a lot faster than smokes was, has better vision and hands too

i don't read much into last night's game, except that we have a lot of scoring options which is going to be difficult to contain, only thing is the more physical teams like philly, which will be interesting tomorrow, if they can catch us

i'm looking forward to a strong pp this year, don't think we'll miss streit that much, sergei looked very poised on the point
all kovy has to do is go for a skate to draw a penalty

Closed Thread