HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

The 2008-2009 Buffalo Sabres Prospects Thread

Closed Thread

Old
10-03-2008, 11:05 PM
wingmanpei

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by madpooh View Post
Just watching the PEI-Halifax game Southorn is wearing an A, and playing some PP time.
Southorn is anchors the blueline on the top defensive pairing and also on the top pp unit. He is playing well since he has been back from Sabres camp. One of the knocks against him going into the draft last season was consistency, but so far it doesn't seem to be an issue.

Old
10-05-2008, 05:35 PM

Luke Adam 3 goals 2 assists was just dominating out there with Esposito this afternoon...

sick game by Brennan as well, 2 pts I think just so solid.

Those two are just a joy to watch and will become GREAT players for you guys down the road for sure.

Old
10-05-2008, 05:39 PM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by #57 View Post
Luke Adam 3 goals 2 assists was just dominating out there with Esposito this afternoon...

sick game by Brennan as well, 2 pts I think just so solid.

Those two are just a joy to watch and will become GREAT players for you guys down the road for sure.
That's great to see. Did you watch the game? How does he look physically?

Old
10-05-2008, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikeGiftingMan View Post
That's great to see. Did you watch the game? How does he look physically?
Yes I watched the game. He was playing LW on Esposito's line with Layton on the right side, the #1 line for the Juniors.

Luke Adam is just such an amazing skater for a guy his size. Along the boards he simply can't be touched. A guy with Adam's size and strenght will often dominate the QMJHL, but if you add in Adam's speed and hands it gives you 5 points nights like this.

I am just drooling over the though of watching Adam for a full season. He's been one of my favs since I first saw him in the league. Just an incredible combination of size, skills and he's just so smart on the ice.

Definitely a keeper.

Old
10-05-2008, 06:28 PM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

Quote:
Yes I watched the game. He was playing LW on Esposito's line with Layton on the right side, the #1 line for the Juniors.

Luke Adam is just such an amazing skater for a guy his size. Along the boards he simply can't be touched. A guy with Adam's size and strenght will often dominate the QMJHL, but if you add in Adam's speed and hands it gives you 5 points nights like this.

I am just drooling over the though of watching Adam for a full season. He's been one of my favs since I first saw him in the league. Just an incredible combination of size, skills and he's just so smart on the ice.

Definitely a keeper.
Thanks a ton for the info. Sounds great. Enjoy watching him this year.

Old
10-06-2008, 12:10 PM
joshjull

Tyler Myers has been an angry boy the last few games

From our very own KB's http://www.sabresprospects.com/

Quote:
Tyler Myers was in a foul mood this weekend, and Sabres fans shouldn't be happier. After picking up 17 PIM's from a fight in Saturday's loss to Lethbridge, the 6'8 defender racked up another ten in tonight's 6-3 win over Kootenay.

Very nice to see

Old
10-06-2008, 01:47 PM
OpethianSabre20

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post

Very nice to see
Sounds like we are going to have one hell of a defenseman on our hands a few years down the road if his physical game/nasty streak continues to develop like this along with the great skating ability and shot that he already possesses.

Old
10-12-2008, 02:13 PM
WesternCollegeHockey

Justin Jokinen's first collegiate goal.

Old
10-12-2008, 03:24 PM
TehDoak
General Zad

Send a message via AIM to TehDoak
Quote:

Very nice to see
awesome. maybe we can send some puppies for him to munch on between games.

Old
10-12-2008, 03:39 PM
Hobey Baker

Send a message via MSN to Hobey Baker
Quote:
Originally Posted by TehDoak View Post
awesome. maybe we can send some puppies for him to munch on between games.
Three consecutive games with a fight before giving his mitts a rest with a
+4 in last night's 8-1 win. Adding puppies would be too much at this point, IMO.

Old
10-12-2008, 04:02 PM
TehDoak
General Zad

Send a message via AIM to TehDoak
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobey Baker View Post
Three consecutive games with a fight before giving his mitts a rest with a
+4 in last night's 8-1 win. Adding puppies would be too much at this point, IMO.
ok, what about kittens. Let me finish. Dressed in Sens uniforms.

Old
10-12-2008, 05:12 PM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternCollegeHockey View Post
Justin Jokinen's first collegiate goal.
Thanks for that. Perfect setup for him, too. Just step right into a booming slapshot in the slot. Beautiful.

Old
10-12-2008, 08:20 PM

We're missing Luke Adam big time right now in Montreal. He was injured last Wednesday (out from 1 to 2 weeks) and the Juniors' offense has been disgusting the past 4 games.. shutout 3 out of those 4. Esposito isn't playing well and you can cleary see that our offense isn't the same without Adam.

When the season is done Luke Adam will have been our best and most important forward judging from what I have seen so far this season... that is my prediction. He might even finnish on top of the scoring race.

Hopefully the Juniors find a way to win without him for the time being because it is not pretty right now and I wouldn't want to be the players in practice this week lol.

Brennan has also been so-so the past fews games, couple of noticeable mistakes and not the same jump in his play as usual. Hope this is just a cold streak.

The whole team has looked flat since Adam's injury. Maybe except the goalies Jake Allen and J-F Berube.

Old
10-12-2008, 09:07 PM
Hobey Baker

Quote:
Brennan has also been so-so the past fews games, couple of noticeable mistakes and not the same jump in his play as usual. Hope this is just a cold streak.
Or a cold and flu streak. He hasn't looked as crisp, but I think he's still recovering from the mid-week bug that caused him to miss the Rimouski game. He was tested for mono, strep, etc. That could explain the loss-of-step.

Old
10-12-2008, 11:03 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:

Very nice to see
There you go, buddy. I love hearing that kind of stuff. I want this kid to turn pro, he'd benefit from some AHL time. Getting someone that size onto a sheet of ice with professional-sized bodies and talent would do wonders in terms of expediting his development.

Old
10-12-2008, 11:43 PM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

But, because he's North American, he can't hit the AHL until 20, whereas Euros can play at 18.

Old
10-19-2008, 09:51 AM
gaf
Occupied Territory

I know Gerbe is listed as a center, but does he have any time on Right wing? Bucky reports that the sabres are shopping Max, and if they dont get a player in return, are we likely to see Nate promoted to the big club and slot over to the wing?

Old
10-19-2008, 01:27 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaf View Post
I know Gerbe is listed as a center, but does he have any time on Right wing? Bucky reports that the sabres are shopping Max, and if they dont get a player in return, are we likely to see Nate promoted to the big club and slot over to the wing?
We've been shopping Max, though. I can't believe that anyone could be interested.

And on Gerbe... I don't know about him on the wing, and in fact, I don't know if I like the idea of bringing him up to the pro's so early. Zagrapan should get the nod before Nate IMO

Old
10-19-2008, 03:30 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
We've been shopping Max, though. I can't believe that anyone could be interested.

And on Gerbe... I don't know about him on the wing, and in fact, I don't know if I like the idea of bringing him up to the pro's so early. Zagrapan should get the nod before Nate IMO
I'd imagine they are interested now that they're seeing him play a motivated game that's dangerous to the other team while not costing his own. The problem then is... is he more valued as an effective part of a solid line in Buffalo or in what he might return in trade. Regier can wait a bit longer -- Gerbe still needs to work on his defense and play away from the puck.

10-24-2008, 09:51 PM

Luke Adam with an awesome play tonight to get a penalty shot...

Coming down on a dman one-on-one he seriously made him the D look like a fool, then Adam cut to the middle and the defenseman tried to stop him from behind, Adam leaned on him and with his strenght managed to pull away and keep the puck on his stick, the guy held him with his hand so Adam couldnt get a good shot off and got a penalty shot. You have to see the sequence to really appreciate Adam's speed, strenght, hands, skills, tenacity, all at once on the same play.

And on the penalty shot Adam showed off his hands, forehand, backhand, forehand, then faking the goalie to his backhand tried to go high glove side, but Clermont barely made the save and was searching the puck afterwards, it was lost in his equipment, but I think Adam failed to lift the puck enough to score. It was a really nice display of Adam's puck skills, I'm telling ya, this guy is the complete package.

His only weakness from what I've seen so far of him appears on his stats line: his +/- is -2, which is bad considering most of Montreal's primary players have solid +/- ratings, but I don't think it's a really good indicator to Adam's defensive play who I have to admit needs a little bit of work, but he will get there in no time. You just can't teach his combination of size, strenght, speed and skills, you just cant.

I know I have said in the past that he is a defensive minded forward, and I think that's the consensus on him, but the more I see him play the more I think he is an offense first player that ALWAYS helps out the D, but his positioning his lacking in the D zone a little bit but it will improve, believe me Pascal Vincent, the head coach, knows a thing or two about teaching a kid to play defense.

I love this player. What a gem.

Old
10-24-2008, 09:55 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Luke Adam with an awesome play tonight to get a penalty shot...

Coming down on a dman one-on-one he seriously made him the D look like a fool, then Adam cut to the middle and the defenseman tried to stop him from behind, Adam leaned on him and with his strenght managed to pull away and keep the puck on his stick, the guy held him with his hand so Adam couldnt get a good shot off and got a penalty shot. You have to see the sequence to really appreciate Adam's speed, strenght, hands, skills, tenacity, all at once on the same play.

And on the penalty shot Adam showed off his hands, forehand, backhand, forehand, then faking the goalie to his backhand tried to go high glove side, but Clermont barely made the save and was searching the puck afterwards, it was lost in his equipment, but I think Adam failed to lift the puck enough to score. It was a really nice display of Adam's puck skills, I'm telling ya, this guy is the complete package.

His only weakness from what I've seen so far of him appears on his stats line: his +/- is -2, which is bad considering most of Montreal's primary players have solid +/- ratings, but I don't think it's a really good indicator to Adam's defensive play who I have to admit needs a little bit of work, but he will get there in no time. You just can't teach his combination of size, strenght, speed and skills, you just cant.

I know I have said in the past that he is a defensive minded forward, and I think that's the consensus on him, but the more I see him play the more I think he is an offense first player that ALWAYS helps out the D, but his positioning his lacking in the D zone a little bit but it will improve, believe me Pascal Vincent, the head coach, knows a thing or two about teaching a kid to play defense.

I love this player. What a gem.
+/- is such a horrible stat to begin with, so the fact that he's a -2 doesn't bother me if observers (like you) say his defensive game is fairly solid (and we know his offensive game is). Thanks for the update.

Old
10-24-2008, 11:04 PM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveDaSlug View Post
+/- is such a horrible stat to begin with, so the fact that he's a -2 doesn't bother me if observers (like you) say his defensive game is fairly solid (and we know his offensive game is). Thanks for the update.
Yeah, his +/- doesn't bug me too much.

#57 - Based on his play this season, can you compare him to a current or recent NHLer? I have some ideas in mind, and I'm just curious who you'd come up with. Thanks for all the updates on Adam.

Old
10-25-2008, 12:11 AM
Hobey Baker

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveDaSlug View Post
I'll meet ya halfway regarding plus minus being a horrible stat in juniors because it usually tells a compelling story for defensemen. Last season, T.J. Brennan earned every bit of that deep "minus" by not thinking the defensive game. He's clearly turned his game around in that capacity, and it shows in the + column. On the flip side, Matt Generous was every bit as good as his "plus" rating suggests, and SLU suffered when he was hurt. I won't use Gragnani as an example because last season should be a mulligan for any rookie taking part in that steamy mess on Rochester.

To your point though, it does get cloudy when rating CHL forwards. Hi, Dylan Hunter.

Regarding the consensus that Adam is a defensive foward, I've never gotten that vibe. He's good in that end no doubt, but I think that's just the Newfie in him. For the past two years, he's been a guy who taps his stick on the ice every shift looking for the puck; a guy who buries chances down low with regularity. In most interviews, he says he has a passion for scoring goals. That's an offensive player, not a defensive one.

I know you asked 57 BGM, but I think a developing comparable might be a higher-end Knuble. Similar in that they're both big, hard to bump off the puck/use their body and reach to protect it, and can score in bundles. Adam might be able to do a little more by himself. There are probably better ones to go by, but that's what I'm thinking at 1:10 AM.

Old
10-25-2008, 01:23 AM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 1390
Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
When it comes to recalls, the Sabres usually don't make distinctions by forward or defensive position (righty/lefty). If they need a center, they call up whichever forward is playing best regardless of where he lines up in the AHL. Zagrapan's showing in camp is history. He's got to be their best AHL forward to get the call now, and he's clearly not. There's also uncertainty over where he'll play next year. I'd have to bet on the KHL, because there's no way the Sabres are going to give him a one-way tender offer. Unless they really think he can make an impact in Buffalo, the NHL time is going to go to players who will be here in the future.

Old
10-25-2008, 08:44 AM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobey Baker View Post
I know you asked 57 BGM, but I think a developing comparable might be a higher-end Knuble. Similar in that they're both big, hard to bump off the puck/use their body and reach to protect it, and can score in bundles. Adam might be able to do a little more by himself. There are probably better ones to go by, but that's what I'm thinking at 1:10 AM.
Interesting. I wouldn't have thought of him, personally, mainly because I'm not at all a fan. Would a higher-end Knuble be like a Recchi/LeClair type, or is that too high?

Closed Thread