HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#1 -- Rangers at Flyers -- October 11, 2008 -- 7:00 PM (ET)

Old
10-12-2008, 12:59 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by danno2530 View Post
Good game guys. I thought I was going to have a heart attack in the 3rd period. Despite the bad start, the Flyers definitely woke up in the 2nd and if they play like that all season, they are going to have another excellent run just like last year.

Oh yeah, and Go Phillies as well. **** Manny.
Haha, I see some Yankees fans still have a hatred of him from his time in Boston. That's fine, I've got no problem letting others jump on the Phils bandwagon.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 01:02 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockit View Post
i think some people need to calm down about the way they played last night.

they played 40 minutes of good hockey, unfortunately the 20 minutes of bad hockey paralyzed them.

All four goals against were generated by bad play by the D-men, and considering the amount of changes that have taken place back there it's kind of expected.

This is by no means what to expect all year. Sbisa you can tell is a bit shaky, made a few lapses down low, but overall wasn't that bad considering he's an 18 year old rookie. Defense (besides goalie) is the hardest position to adjust to because a defensemen's mistake usually leads to a goal against and it get magnified on replay after replay.

Kuks & Eminger looked brutal out there. If kuks plays like that for long, Stevens will have him back in the press box in no time. I hope Eminger can pull it together, he's still got potential but needs to start making something of himself.
As much as I agree with this post, the wrap around goal on Biron was entirely Biron's fault and not the defense. Biron made no effort to make it to the other post. Sbisa looked a lot better when he got paired with Coburn, and I'd like to see more of this. I'd love to see Kuks thrown down, I still think he's garbage.

Old
10-12-2008, 02:53 PM
xifentoozlerix

^^
It isnt goaltender interference when the goalie tries to trip the guy going through the crease with his stick, and in doing so loses his own balance.

The Rangers played well for 20 mins (helped by a shaky D and goalie) and the next 40 minutes it was all Philly. Sucks to give a divison rival 2 points in such a crazy game, but the Flyers did alot of things right once Niitty came in to help on the back end. I am excited to watch the team this year, especially once the offense is firing on all cylinders.

xifentoozlerix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 02:58 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by xifentoozlerix View Post
^^
It isnt goaltender interference when the goalie tries to trip the guy going through the crease with his stick, and in doing so loses his own balance.

The Rangers played well for 20 mins (helped by a shaky D and goalie) and the next 40 minutes it was all Philly. Sucks to give a divison rival 2 points in such a crazy game, but the Flyers did alot of things right once Niitty came in to help on the back end. I am excited to watch the team this year, especially once the offense is firing on all cylinders.
I didn't see the trip, I'll have to go back and check the replay.

Edit: Nevermind, watch the replay. There was NO TRIP at all. Biron just went down to the butterfly and didn't bother to look back. That's entirely his fault.

Old
10-12-2008, 03:05 PM
xifentoozlerix

wow, i responded to someone else's post and it is gone now. i think i left my window open too long. i wasnt talking about the sjostrom goal, i was talking about gagne's.

xifentoozlerix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 03:08 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
wow, i responded to someone else's post and it is gone now. i think i left my window open too long. i wasnt talking about the sjostrom goal, i was talking about gagne's.
I was going to say that I thought you were talking about Gagne's, but you beat me to it.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 03:10 PM
flyersfan97

In case no one has seen it yet, the Flyers opening night video is up on their web-site.

http://flyers.nhl.tv/team/console.js...d=774&id=22465

flyersfan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 03:32 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
LOL alright, fair enough. If you seriously thought Biron got tripped when he dropped down the to the butterfly I was going to recommend that you go to the nearest eye doctor, ASAP

Old
10-12-2008, 05:02 PM
ChumpyG
Jibbity jibbity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Gambini View Post
Nitty was the man yesterday

the rangers looked like a team that had played a few games and the flyers looked like they were playing their first game. once the flyers got some rhythm they started playing very well. a couple good bounces and we tie or win the game. im not upset at yesterdays game, there is alot of distraction that comes with the home opener and it showed.

gagne richie and briere looked like they will be a force to be reckoned with this season
I love coming on here and seeing my thoughts about the game already written by someone else.

Marty didn't look great at the start, and then just lost his **** after the wrap around. Sbisa looked good once they paired him with Coburn (Sbisa-Kukkonen pairing reeks of fail).

Overall, the Flyers looked pretty confused and underprepared in the first. They definitely tightened up after that, but still looked a little off balance.... kinda like they hadn't played a regular season game yet.

And is there any other team that Renney consistently trots out Valiquette against? What's with the juju he has against us?

ChumpyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 05:18 PM
Richyrich

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChumpyG View Post
I love coming on here and seeing my thoughts about the game already written by someone else.

Marty didn't look great at the start, and then just lost his **** after the wrap around. Sbisa looked good once they paired him with Coburn (Sbisa-Kukkonen pairing reeks of fail).

Overall, the Flyers looked pretty confused and underprepared in the first. They definitely tightened up after that, but still looked a little off balance.... kinda like they hadn't played a regular season game yet.

And is there any other team that Renney consistently trots out Valiquette against? What's with the juju he has against us?
I'm still trying to figure out just how bad marty looked...

I'm confident he will bounce back, tho

Richyrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 05:53 PM
ChumpyG
Jibbity jibbity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richyrich View Post
I'm still trying to figure out just how bad marty looked...

I'm confident he will bounce back, tho
I hope you're right. I couldn't help thinking last night "It feels like February. We already have a goalie controversy". ... and some other smilie.

Old
10-12-2008, 06:12 PM
Richyrich

Quote:
I hope you're right. I couldn't help thinking last night "It feels like February. We already have a goalie controversy". ... and some other smilie.
:GWC :

Richyrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 06:26 PM
ChumpyG
Jibbity jibbity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richyrich View Post
:GWC :
Great. Thanks. Now my head hurts.

Old
10-13-2008, 12:52 AM
flyersfan97

Quote:

Consistently? No. Just us. Valiquette played well against us early on last season-he may have even had a shut-out or two, but I think we got the better of him near the end. It's why I wasn't worried about playing the Rangers in the playoffs, there was
no way they were going to hide Lundqvist from us come playoff time, and we've done
pretty well against him--which is why they were truly playing Valiquette to begin with. We just made Renney's goalie choice look like genius.

Old
10-13-2008, 10:22 AM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
I thought after the first 10 mins or so, the team played pretty well, I thought all the d-men did alright except for Kukkonen, the problem was that we still could have conceded 7 goals.

To me, that speaks to the fact that we really need to work on gap control between forwards and defensemen, clearing the defensive zone, and bad turnovers in the neutral zone and opponents zone.

I thought Eminger was generally positive, picked up a cheapie assist, moved the puck pretty well, maybe slightly at fault for the Betts goal, but that was a hell of a pass by Zherdev. Vaananen also positive, not slow, just very solid. Sbisa picked it up as the game went on although I still think he's too raw, Kukkonen had one to forget. The nice thing though is that it at least seems like we have the pieces to start building a decent defense, this is quite a step up from having Modry, Smith, and Hatcher all in the same top-6.

Biggest worry for me right now outside of team defense/transition would be secondary scoring. I mean, that Gagne-Richie-Briere line looked great (and Briere was +2), but Carter had one of those games where he was kind of in and out and never had a consistent impact. They really need to get him with some consistent linemates and the sooner Giroux is ready to make the jump, the better.

Generally I thought it was okay, still a lot of things to improve, but they did show a lot of resilience coming back.
I agree with most of your comments, and isnt the bolded part the same issue we had ALL OF LAST SEASON

As for Carter, as well as the Gagne/Richards/Breire line played, I think it would be much better for the team if they gave Hartnell/Carter/Briere and Gagne/Richards/Lupul a try. It accomplishes a few things (assuming it worked):
1) Gives us two really good lines as opposed to one
2) Gets Lupul in the top 6
3) Gets Knuble out of the top 6 (although still give him PP time)
4) Gives Carter someone skilled to work with in Briere
5) Takes advantage of the chemistry Richards and Lupul had.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joethunder View Post
I must be the only guy not completely pissed with the result.

New York has played 3 games going into last night and it showed -- they came out in regular season form and the Flyers were feeling it out. I think New York showed a lot more poise during the entire game, but the Flyers almost came back and tied the game! If Richards shot in the 3rd is a bit to the right, we're at 4-4.

Nitty played very well, I liked what I saw from Lupul and Richards, and I think Ross will be a surprise player to hold his own if he gets the playing time. Defensively...I saw some things that are worrysome, but its the first game. It could have ended a lot worse than it did and you've got to give both teams credit. The Rangers showed why they are 4-0, and the Flyers showed their resilency. A horrible game turned into a very good hockey game, folks. Relax.
I am not pissed with the result, I think the difference was a team that was playing their first game, after a very quick preseason and some injuries to battle, vs. a team that was playing their 3rd regular season game and had much more cohesiveness.

The team looked much better the 2nd two periods.

However, they still seemed to have some of the same glaring issues as last year. I will give it a couple weeks, no more, to get their act together, but if come November/December time frame, we are still having the same issues, something needs to be done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm6492 View Post
first off, it is not easy to find a d-man at this pojnt in the season. I am not giving him an excuse for not getting one before, but at this point he can not do much

And Sbisa played better as the game went on. He threw a couple nice checks, played physical, moved the puck well and, yes, he did have a few bad plays, but he is still better then Modry and alll the other crap we had last year. I want to see him for a couple more games before I make my assumption
I liked Sbisa, but I think he needs to be sent back down after 9. As we all said from the beginning, this team's glaring need was a #3 dman. Homer went and got 4 #5's instead, and we are now suffering because of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan97 View Post
Consistently? No. Just us. Valiquette played well against us early on last season-he may have even had a shut-out or two, but I think we got the better of him near the end. It's why I wasn't worried about playing the Rangers in the playoffs, there was
no way they were going to hide Lundqvist from us come playoff time, and we've done
pretty well against him--which is why they were truly playing Valiquette to begin with. We just made Renney's goalie choice look like genius.
Sometimes players just have a team's number...(Terreri always killed us, but we always killed Roy)

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 10:48 AM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post
As for Carter, as well as the Gagne/Richards/Breire line played, I think it would be much better for the team if they gave Hartnell/Carter/Briere and Gagne/Richards/Lupul a try. It accomplishes a few things (assuming it worked):
1) Gives us two really good lines as opposed to one
2) Gets Lupul in the top 6
3) Gets Knuble out of the top 6 (although still give him PP time)
4) Gives Carter someone skilled to work with in Briere
5) Takes advantage of the chemistry Richards and Lupul had.
I think the biggest reason Briere is playing wing with Gagne and Richards is because he plays well with Gagne and he was excited about playing with him when he signed here. Remember the chemistry issues he had last year? If this maximizes Briere's productivity, leave it alone. I don't see the same chemistry forming with Carter and he will struggle.

Old
10-13-2008, 11:16 AM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Yeah I agree with Storm on this one and tbh, I'd rather have 1 dominant line and 2 good lines instead of 2 very good lines and 1 good line if you see what I mean.

I just see Gagne-Richards-Briere having all sorts of chemistry after just 1 game whereas I'm not sure whether Carter and Danny would have that type of thing.

I've said this for a while, but I'd give Lupul-Carter-Upshall a shot. Those guys are all good forecheckers and they're all fast and I am still holding onto the dream that Carter is a pretty decent playmaker, he had a great set-up to Hartnell on Saturday again that should have been finished that wasn't. Knuble was just hauling down that line though.

Gagne-Richards-Briere
Lupul-Carter-Upshall
Hartnell-Metro-Downie
Asham-Ross-Cote/Knuble

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 12:01 PM
chaosof99*

I just found this on youtube and didn't think it was worth a new thread, but it's still hilarious:

Hartnell steals Drury's glove

chaosof99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 12:11 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosof99 View Post
I just found this on youtube and didn't think it was worth a new thread, but it's still hilarious:

Hartnell takes some **** for bad penalties, but I love the guy. That's hilarious.

Old
10-13-2008, 12:46 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
Yeah I agree with Storm on this one and tbh, I'd rather have 1 dominant line and 2 good lines instead of 2 very good lines and 1 good line if you see what I mean.

I just see Gagne-Richards-Briere having all sorts of chemistry after just 1 game whereas I'm not sure whether Carter and Danny would have that type of thing.

I've said this for a while, but I'd give Lupul-Carter-Upshall a shot. Those guys are all good forecheckers and they're all fast and I am still holding onto the dream that Carter is a pretty decent playmaker, he had a great set-up to Hartnell on Saturday again that should have been finished that wasn't. Knuble was just hauling down that line though.

Gagne-Richards-Briere
Lupul-Carter-Upshall
Hartnell-Metro-Downie
Asham-Ross-Cote/Knuble
I disagree but oh well, such is life

I would try other things first before I broke up the top line, I just never like putting all my eggs in one basket. Very rarely see that on cup winners.

Upshall Carter Lupul would be worth a try, I just dont see who carrys the puck and makes the offense work on that line. If we had the dmen to move the puck and get it in deep it would be a different story....

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 12:56 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post
I disagree but oh well, such is life

I would try other things first before I broke up the top line, I just never like putting all my eggs in one basket. Very rarely see that on cup winners.

Upshall Carter Lupul would be worth a try, I just dont see who carrys the puck and makes the offense work on that line. If we had the dmen to move the puck and get it in deep it would be a different story....
This team is praised for its offensive depth, so how are all the eggs in one basket? It can't be both ways.

Personally, I hate the theory of spreading out the scoring to the point where you basically have scrubs on scoring lines (like how we're trying to force Knuble, Upshall, and Metropolit to fit into "scoring line" roles when that's really not what they're going to do for you). You're handcuffing your best players with lesser players for the sake of spreading it out. Instead, our top 6 forwards should play together and maximize their output.

Old
10-13-2008, 01:58 PM
Toonces
The beer kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm in a Teacup View Post
Hartnell takes some **** for bad penalties, but I love the guy. That's hilarious.
He's one of those guys who you just know that the other team is saying "****, we gotta play against that ******* today?" He's great.

Well, at least until he starts going to the box, like you said.

Toonces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2008, 09:48 PM
flyersfan97

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosof99 View Post

That truly is hilarious.