HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

PGT: Habs give Leafs the Bruin Treatment; 6-1 final

Closed Thread

Old
10-12-2008, 05:25 PM
morgan_mtl

vCash: 500
Tried to search for the pp thread with no luck so i'll just post it here.

I was wondering after 2 games and how many offensive forwards the team has if its possible for pp unit 1 and pp unit 2 both to go with 1 defencemen (Markov on one and Hamrlik on the other) with 4 forwards.

Also what are your choices for the 2 units. Mine are:

Lang - Koivu - Lats (or higgins)
Tanguay - Markov

AKos - Plekanec - kovalev
SKos - Hamrlik

Old
10-12-2008, 05:39 PM
Newhabfan

Maybe not everyone will agree but the line that impressed me the most was .....the Plekanec/Kovy/Akost. Sure, they did not score many goals yet, the one they scored showed exactly what this line is about - totally dominating the opponent. IMO it was the most beautiful goal last night - a pure expression of game control and cool mind playing.

There was so much maturity and precision in the passes those guys exchanged. As if the leafs defenders were not even there. They found each other with such ease, as if they were actors and they had rehearsed their combinations hundreds of time. It was only bad luck that they did not find the open net more often.

Then, in two occasions Akost catched the defender in a run for the puck and pushed him aside. And Kovy got at least one PP only by strenght and skill. And Pleks with his one on one ....

The Koivu line was good an lucky last night. But the main line in our team will still be Pleks' one. They are so intimiading and dominating when they control the attack that they create a lot of space for the other 2.

Watch for the competition between lines Be afraid Philly.

Old
10-12-2008, 06:29 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post
Koivu had a very good game. Why ? One reason is the fact that he played under 14 minutes. Fresher legs, more energy = better performance for Saku.
Another poster mentionned thi slast season, but I think Koivu plays a different game now. Imagine a guy in his mid 40's, was a good player in his prime, playing in an adult league with lesser talented, but younger,faster, stronger guys. The 4o + guy plays his postion, tries to be smart, when he sees an opportunity, he goes after it, he just doesn't go after it every shift because he can't outskate the young guys.

Koivu does that now, he looks for opportunities to make things happen, but he has to be smart about when and where.

Old
10-12-2008, 06:32 PM
Crispy Crust

vCash: 570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baylzzz View Post
Agreed, who fist pumps when there down 5-0??? anyways thats more what i expected out of this year
Alex Ovechkin? I have seen it on many occasions but I let it go because he is an Allstar player while Blake only had that good year because it was his contract year.

Old
10-12-2008, 06:36 PM
Habnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
Another poster mentionned thi slast season, but I think Koivu plays a different game now. Imagine a guy in his mid 40's, was a good player in his prime, playing in an adult league with lesser talented, but younger,faster, stronger guys. The 4o + guy plays his postion, tries to be smart, when he sees an opportunity, he goes after it, he just doesn't go after it every shift because he can't outskate the young guys.

Koivu does that now, he looks for opportunities to make things happen, but he has to be smart about when and where.
You know how much of Koivu fan I am, but after two games the gas tank is starting to look kind of empty. For the first time in a long time, there is so much talent up front that I can actually imagine the day that Koivu will no longer be a Hab. I am getting myself emotionally ready for the inevitable, Koivu will not be a Hab next year.

Old
10-12-2008, 06:52 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habnot View Post
You know how much of Koivu fan I am, but after two games the gas tank is starting to look kind of empty. For the first time in a long time, there is so much talent up front that I can actually imagine the day that Koivu will no longer be a Hab. I am getting myself emotionally ready for the inevitable, Koivu will not be a Hab next year.
I've seen it for a few years, a little weaker on the puck, no real snap shooting, but if you just list how the skills look, I think you miss the whole. He still finds ways, seizes opportunities. I think that's a reason why he stirs controversy on forums like this, [ok, I know there are other reasons] he can have a few shifts where he doesn't get much done, then does what he does on the 2 goals his line scored even strength, seizes a puck, puts a perefct pass on Lats stick and it's in. On Hamr's goal, he drops it to lats, is smart enough to run interference on the d man, giving him time to pick his pass.

I thought this was solving itself when Higgins got off to a great start 2 years ago before getting hurt. He looked like he would carry the line, making Koivu more complementary. He hasn't played that way since, who knows, maybe Tanguay can be the lead dog on the line, though I don't think it's in his character.

I'd love to see him as long as he wants to play, but I think he has too much pride to come back to be a smaller part of the team than he is now. Can you see him putting up 40 points and re-signing for 2M ?

Old
10-12-2008, 07:10 PM
guest1467

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey View Post
I'd say Ron Wilson was matching his 1st line agsinst the Habs 4th rather than the other way around.
Carbonneau was content with that line playing against the top line. There was many times where he put that line out there when the first line of Torontos was on the ice.

Old
10-12-2008, 07:30 PM
Spectaculard

Send a message via MSN to Spectaculard
Quote:
Originally Posted by blicemj View Post
all kovy has to do is go for a skate to draw a penalty
I just thought of something. What if Guy sometimes tells Kovy to puckhog the puck in the opposing zone on purpose to draw a penalty?

With our lethal pp, its not a bad idea.

Old
10-12-2008, 07:44 PM
guest1467

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrychair View Post
I just thought of something. What if Guy sometimes tells Kovy to puckhog the puck in the opposing zone on purpose to draw a penalty?

With our lethal pp, its not a bad idea.
I am sure Carbo does not need to tell Kovalev this; Kovalev has been playing for 14 years.

Old
10-13-2008, 12:23 AM
FerrisRox

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
I've seen it for a few years, a little weaker on the puck, no real snap shooting, but if you just list how the skills look, I think you miss the whole. He still finds ways, seizes opportunities. I think that's a reason why he stirs controversy on forums like this, [ok, I know there are other reasons] he can have a few shifts where he doesn't get much done, then does what he does on the 2 goals his line scored even strength, seizes a puck, puts a perefct pass on Lats stick and it's in. On Hamr's goal, he drops it to lats, is smart enough to run interference on the d man, giving him time to pick his pass.

I thought this was solving itself when Higgins got off to a great start 2 years ago before getting hurt. He looked like he would carry the line, making Koivu more complementary. He hasn't played that way since, who knows, maybe Tanguay can be the lead dog on the line, though I don't think it's in his character.

I'd love to see him as long as he wants to play, but I think he has too much pride to come back to be a smaller part of the team than he is now. Can you see him putting up 40 points and re-signing for 2M ?
And if he gets 70 points? The guy had three points last night and played a very solid game. Why are we talking about his 'empty tank?'

Old
10-13-2008, 12:39 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Something about Saturday's game made me crinje a little bit and it was the during the broadcasting with the pairing of Joel Bouchard and Jacques Demers. It didn't show as much when Brunet was there because Brunet always says the same things and he's this teddy bear. But Joel was so on-the point on his analysis and so superior to Demers that it gave a weird vibe like these guys couldn't even have a conversation. So they had zero chemistry. I think it's time for RDS to boot Demers out for a true professional. Bouchard and Dubé as a team would be killer.

Old
10-13-2008, 12:58 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
From Ross Blackhurst:

Q & A from Health Canada

Q: The Stanley Cup was recently on tour in my town, and I kissed it. Do I have to worry about being infected by listeria?

A: You are safe. The Stanley Cup has not been in contact with any Maple Leaf product in over 40 years.

Old
10-13-2008, 05:41 AM
tonyvolks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
From Ross Blackhurst:

Q & A from Health Canada

Q: The Stanley Cup was recently on tour in my town, and I kissed it. Do I have to worry about being infected by listeria?

A: You are safe. The Stanley Cup has not been in contact with any Maple Leaf product in over 40 years.
Hehehe...

Old
10-13-2008, 06:05 AM
snakeye

Quote:
From Ross Blackhurst:

Q & A from Health Canada

Gold.

Old
10-13-2008, 08:53 AM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
From Ross Blackhurst:

Q & A from Health Canada

Oh snap...

10-18-2008, 09:59 PM
FerrisRox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habnot View Post
He now has eight points in five games... It begs the question ... do you still think the tank is empty?

And, for the record, I think the Canadiens would be fools to let Koviu leave as a free agent.

Closed Thread