HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

When higgins comes back

Old
10-12-2008, 07:40 PM
guest1467

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CabbageLegs View Post
I am sorry i don't get this one. Lang is the sniper here.
Sergei and Lang both look to pass first and have good chemistry, they will find Higgins. He would play the north south game of the line but adds more skill than Kostopoulos. Higgins can win battles on the boards and do the grunt work for the line.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 08:32 PM
HamrlikTheStud*

I say play him with Sergei Kostitsyn and Lang. Latendresse is great when playing with Koivu, and Koivu also looks better with Tender's body on his line.

Communication is also easier as Tanguay and Latendresse get along pretty well together.

This, plus Higgins can't play the off wing. Tanguay is better playing on the LW, and Tender is great at the right. If they have another stellar performance tomorrow, this is a no-brainer.

HamrlikTheStud* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 08:36 PM
GoneAway

vCash:
If Higgins were to play with Lang and Kosty, I do not see it as a demotion per se...I mean we do have three killer lines and I doubt it has any significant impact on his ice time

Old
10-12-2008, 08:40 PM
Rgolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Chezz View Post
If Higgins were to play with Lang and Kosty, I do not see it as a demotion per se...I mean we do have three killer lines and I doubt it has any significant impact on his ice time
i agree however it will still be the 3rd line and i dont think higgins would like that even tho its better than a 3rd line

Rgolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 08:40 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamrlikTheStud View Post
I say play him with Sergei Kostitsyn and Lang. Latendresse is great when playing with Koivu, and Koivu also looks better with Tender's body on his line.

Communication is also easier as Tanguay and Latendresse get along pretty well together.

This, plus Higgins can't play the off wing. Tanguay is better playing on the LW, and Tender is great at the right. If they have another stellar performance tomorrow, this is a no-brainer.
zMaybe he can't but I'm not sure if he's ever played a full game there. When he played C, though he couldn't do much for his wingers, he seemd adept and moving the puck out on the right side.

It's an interesting question as you have to go with what's best for the team rather than individuals. The one thing Higgins gives Koivu is an earlier passing target as he can take angles on the d. Lats doesn't take the puck as well in open ice. I have no problem playing Higgins with Lang, but over the long haul, it depends on who plays rw the best and I'm not sure. Tanguay has had a hard time taking passes in motion so far, but it's only been 2 games.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 08:43 PM
speed11

i'm probably one of the bigger higgins fan here, but i think he would fit great on the Lang line...do i think Gui is a top 6 forward, not quite, but he fits rather well on the 2 line, so i'd personally let it ride till it's broke.

speed11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 08:44 PM
GoneAway

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgolt View Post
i agree however it will still be the 3rd line and i dont think higgins would like that even tho its better than a 3rd line
I think Higgins is smart enough to know that he will contribute regardless of his "line" and that he's enough of a team man to play where he is needed.

The only time I could see him getting upset is if hed be with Lapierre and Kostopolis. Otherwise, its all the same; our top 9 is succeptible to be shuffled any which way and I think everyone on board knows it.

Old
10-12-2008, 08:47 PM
HotPie

Honestly, I like the 2nd line the way it is. Both Tanguay and Latendresse are playing in their natural positions, whereas if Higgins comes back, one of them will have to play on their off wing...

Either way, I'm interested to see what this line does on a more regular basis. I think we can all agree that a 6-1 win against that Leafs team, while highly entertaining, isn't really indicative of anything.

HotPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 08:47 PM
Galchenyuk x 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed11 View Post
i'm probably one of the bigger higgins fan here, but i think he would fit great on the Lang line...do i think Gui is a top 6 forward, not quite, but he fits rather well on the 2 line, so i'd personally let it ride till it's broke.
I, much like you, am one of the bigger Higgins fans here and we both see it the same way.

Galchenyuk x 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 08:48 PM
Rgolt

Quote:
I think Higgins is smart enough to know that he will contribute regardless of his "line" and that he's enough of a team man to play where he is needed.

The only time I could see him getting upset is if hed be with Lapierre and Kostopolis. Otherwise, its all the same; our top 9 is succeptible to be shuffled any which way and I think everyone on board knows it.
very true........ i really hope higgins will bury all of his chances this year and not hit 1000 posts like year

Old
10-12-2008, 08:49 PM
GoneAway

vCash:
Quote:
very true........ i really hope higgins will bury all of his chances this year and not hit 1000 posts like year
He'll still be good for 30 goals

Old
10-12-2008, 08:52 PM
HamrlikTheStud*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
zMaybe he can't but I'm not sure if he's ever played a full game there. When he played C, though he couldn't do much for his wingers, he seemd adept and moving the puck out on the right side.

It's an interesting question as you have to go with what's best for the team rather than individuals. The one thing Higgins gives Koivu is an earlier passing target as he can take angles on the d. Lats doesn't take the puck as well in open ice. I have no problem playing Higgins with Lang, but over the long haul, it depends on who plays rw the best and I'm not sure. Tanguay has had a hard time taking passes in motion so far, but it's only been 2 games.
Well... I think Higgins is more of a fast/energy player than Tender. And we saw in the first two games how much Lang and Sergei seem to benefit from an intense presence on the other side (Kostopoulos in that case). Higgins could provide the forechecking Kostopoulos does on that line, in a great way, with more finishing/skills.

Also, on another topic, I want Kostopoulos to stay a Hab in the next years. He's just the perfect 4th line player. Always on the forecheck, gets his nose dirty, stands up for his teamates, and should not cost us much... The guy loves it in Montreal.

I resign him before Begin, Bouillon, Brisebois, Dandenault that's for sure. And between 700K and 900K is a good investment for him IMO. He doesn't look bad when he's asked to play more of an offensive game, as in the last two games.

Old
10-12-2008, 08:55 PM
Rgolt

Quote:
but he has the ability to net 40

Quote:
Well... I think Higgins is more of a fast/energy player than Tender. And we saw in the first two games how much Lang and Sergei seem to benefit from an intense presence on the other side (Kostopoulos in that case). Higgins could provide the forechecking Kostopoulos does on that line, in a great way, with more finishing/skills.

Also, on another topic, I want Kostopoulos to stay a Hab in the next years. He's just the perfect 4th line player. Always on the forecheck, gets his nose dirty, stands up for his teamates, and should not cost us much... The guy loves it in Montreal.

I resign him before Begin, Bouillon, Brisebois, Dandenault that's for sure. And between 700K and 900K is a good investment for him IMO. He doesn't look bad when he's asked to play more of an offensive game, as in the last two games.
i agree with u im also a big fan a kostopoulos however i think hell get 1mill+ nothing less

Old
10-12-2008, 08:57 PM
Magic33

its not exactly a demotion for him to be on the third line. We have lines 1a, 1b, 1c. Koivu and Lats seem to play well together.

I also think that Higgins' ideal spot is a 3rd liner. He would be a great shutdown guy that can also chip in offensively.

No matter where he plays we still have 3 great lines, i dont think it matters much.

Magic33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 08:58 PM
GoneAway

vCash:
Quote:

i agree with u im also a big fan a kostopoulos however i think hell get 1mill+ nothing less
He does...but 30 goals is still solid.

Old
10-12-2008, 09:00 PM
HamrlikTheStud*

Quote:
first off u mean shouldnt cost much rihgt? anways i agree with u im also a big fan a kostopoulos however i think hell get 1mill+ nothing less
Yeah, I corrected this...

I think he'll say yes to less than his value market to stay in Montreal. He knows he's got a good chance to win here, his energy is appreciated, he bleeds Bleu, Blanc, Rouge. Always giving it all, full throttle.

Quote:
I don't think so. 30 goals is definately in his reach every season if he plays with offensive guys, but 40 goals is a heck of a load of goals. Kovalev had a STELLAR year last year, and barely made it to 35 with his skillset.

To have a 40 goals campaign, you have to not only be good, but play with the perfect players for you, and everything must work well for you. Even stellar players like Lecavalier don't get their 40 goals when they have a sub-par year.

Anyway... Boyes got 43 goals last year... so I won't make a statement here anyway. Just my point. Anything can happen.

Old
10-12-2008, 09:01 PM
Rgolt

Quote:
He does...but 30 goals is still solid.
30 is very solid but for we crazy habs fans 30 wont quite do it for higgins

Old
10-12-2008, 09:04 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Chucky breakout year

vCash: 626
I've been saying since we got Lang that I wanted Higgs with Lang and Sergei, and last night's performance by the Koivu line seems to have convinced lots of people of that too.

I think how Lats-Koivu-Tangs does tomorrow will be a key factor since Higgins seems to be on track for a Wednesday return.

Marc the Habs Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 09:04 PM
GoneAway

vCash:
Quote:
Yeah, I corrected this...

I think he'll say yes to less than his value market to stay in Montreal. He knows he's got a good chance to win here, his energy is appreciated, he bleeds Bleu, Blanc, Rouge. Always giving it all, full throttle.

I don't think so. 30 goals is definately in his reach every season if he plays with offensive guys, but 40 goals is a heck of a load of goals. Kovalev had a STELLAR year last year, and barely made it to 35 with his skillset.

To have a 40 goals campaign, you have to not only be good, but play with the perfect players for you, and everything must work well for you. Even stellar players like Lecavalier don't get their 40 goals when they have a sub-par year.

Anyway... Boyes got 43 goals last year... so I won't make a statement here anyway. Just my point. Anything can happen.
While having Higgins score 40 would be great, we don't need him to do it. We have enough balance in our attack that if one of our top guns fizzles for a bit and for most part underachieves, its ok because someone will be able to compensate.

Old
10-12-2008, 09:06 PM
HamrlikTheStud*

Quote:
While having Higgins score 40 would be great, we don't need him to do it. We have enough balance in our attack that if one of our top guns fizzles for a bit and for most part underachieves, its ok because someone will be able to compensate.
My thoughts exactly... Anyway, 30 is already way more than he was expected to provide us at the very beginning...

Old
10-12-2008, 09:07 PM
mcphee

Quote:

We'll see soon enough. I believe that Higgins can play withy anyone except Kovalev. He becomes useless with Kovy, just can't read him, imo, so he'll be fine wherever.

Regarding TK, I like the guy but I wonder if his position may become one that will go to new guys breaking in, Stewart,Chipchura etc. I wish he was a bit quicker , it'd make him more valuable even defensively. I have no problem with him staying, from what I hear, his teammates would be pleased, but I think Gainey may not pay as much for his 4th line next go round.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 09:08 PM
Rgolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
I've been saying since we got Lang that I wanted Higgs with Lang and Sergei, and last night's performance by the Koivu line seems to have convinced lots of people of that too.

I think how Lats-Koivu-Tangs does tomorrow will be a key factor since Higgins seems to be on track for a Wednesday return.
do u think all 3 injured players will be ready for the home opener

Old
10-12-2008, 09:09 PM
guest1467

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
We'll see soon enough. I believe that Higgins can play withy anyone except Kovalev. He becomes useless with Kovy, just can't read him, imo, so he'll be fine wherever.

Regarding TK, I like the guy but I wonder if his position may become one that will go to new guys breaking in, Stewart,Chipchura etc. I wish he was a bit quicker , it'd make him more valuable even defensively. I have no problem with him staying, from what I hear, his teammates would be pleased, but I think Gainey may not pay as much for his 4th line next go round.
Kostopoulos is cheaper than Chipchura, Begin, Laraque and Dandenault.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 09:14 PM
Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCanasianfrasian View Post
even on the 3rd line i would put him on the RW and leave Skost on the LW
Why ? Isn't RW S.Kost's natural position ?

Tanguay - Koivu - Latendresse
Higgins - Lang - S.Kost

This make for a crazy balanced team. I like those lines.

Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2008, 09:22 PM
Rgolt

Quote:
point is if higgins gets under 30 goals imo it wud be a disappointment and i think many wud agree